Hear Me, Hear Me

Hear Me, Hear Me

Yifan's ideal confession to Chanyeol in his imagination includes romantic lines like "I've fallen for you for a long time", holding hands, blushing Chanyeol and 'yes' as the answer. He gets all of them, though, except the other guy just dashes away and asks over a message to wait for his answer. For indefinite time.

No, Yifan isn't sad at all.

Who said he's moping in his room and scream into his pillow, calling himself stupid for confessing from the first place? Don't spread such a ridiculous rumor.

 

 

*

 

 

Except all of what you just read above are true and our main character is currently curling on his bed, hugging his pillow and has been screaming into it for the past three minutes. He turns down his mom's offer for dinner in their favorite eatery (telling her to "go away," which followed with "sorry mom I'm just not in the mood" a second later) because what he needs now is not food! He doesn't need food (his stomach grumbles but he ignores it all the way), he just wants Chanyeol's answer now. Yes or no, it doesn't matter (it does), at least he can cry properly if Chanyeol decides that they should stay as friends and nothing more.

He ponders if he should stop eating until he gets the answer, but his stomach growls loudly and no, just tonight is enough.

He rolls to his back and stares at the fluorescent dots on the ceiling, his idea to make it look like starry night sky when the lights are turned off. There is one dot that's slightly bigger than the others and it's located near the far corner of his bed, and Yifan melancholy thinks of it as Chanyeol. Seen, but unreachable.

He thought that confessing on Thursday was perfect. Chanyeol would say yes, and he could brag about his newfound relationship to Luhan, who's been harboring feelings to a certain soccer captain in their school but still doesn't have the gut to confess. He never thought his plan would ruin the second Chanyeol blushed (he was so pretty, Yifan sighed dreamily) and ran away, leaving him stand on a deserted corridor dumbly. Later, when he was walking to his home with the remaining energy he got, he received Kakaotalk message from the one who just broke his heart.

 

04:51pm

I'm sorry hyung for running away. Can you wait for my answer?

 

Yifan answered with indifferent 'It's okay' (It isn't) and a question 'When can I get it?'.

 

04:55pm

I don't know. But please wait.

 

Like he had any other choice, right? Yifan sighed and typed a sad 'OK I'll be waiting'.

Yifan thinks back on the day when he first realized that his junior in basketball team is beautiful. It was a sunny day in spring, Chanyeol was sitting on one of benches around the park with his friends and he laughed. He was dazzling, added the effect from yellowish light of the sun, he was almost perfect.

They've been really close, too, and they sometimes hanged out together after practices to the nearest G2000 just to grab some banana milk or mineral water. Once or twice Chanyeol leaned to place his forehead onto his shoulder when their coach was being too hard to them, and Yifan couldn't lie that the hot skin against his brought his heart do somersault. The younger guy's been a bit clingy too, that he often called Yifan childishly when he was joking with his friends.

Yifan doesn't know where it went wrong. He might've read the signal wrong. Maybe Chanyeol only looks at him as a reliable big brother after his sister left him for college in the States.

Maybe Chanyeol really likes that tiny guy with big eyes who's often seen with him in the school cafeteria.

Yifan shakes his head and buries his head onto his pillow once again. Chanyeol already said that he should wait, right? Maybe he needs time to sort out his feelings. Whatever the answer is, he's willing to wait. All or nothing.

 

 

*

 

 

Looking at Chanyeol from afar has never felt this painful before. His bright face when he laughs with his friend is still mesmerizing, and the red scarf looks pretty adorning his neck. The cafeteria feels warm because of the central heater, but Yifan's heart feels freezing. Ah, is this what unrequited love feels like...

"If I didn't know you're having a broken heart, I'd think you had an indigestion judging from your facial expression," comments Luhan from his side while munching on danmuji.

"Mind your own business and your Minseok," counters Yifan absentmindedly, not giving a glance when his friend chokes on the side dish.

Ah, one-sided love... Yifan sighs as he watches the big eyed boy who's friend of Chanyeol (Kwangsoo? Yifan forgets his name) shakes his head to his friend whose face turns pale pink.

 

 

*

 

 

Yifan spends his Saturday rolling on the rug in the living room, watching a drama his mom just bought the DVD two weeks ago. He thinks he's finally gone crazy when he sees one of the casts look like Chanyeol's friend when he screamed 'Mr. Author!'. Maybe he really has. He's in the middle of biting the corner of a throw pillow when his phone vibrates on the coffee table. He ignores it promptly; it might be his half-brother Sehun who's been bothering him to play Mario Kart together upstairs in his room since this morning. But when his phone vibrates for the third time, he crawls to open the notification.

 

9:36am

Hyung, are you free today?

10:02am

Hyung, is dinner today okay for you?

10:14am

Yifan hyung, I'm sorry. If you don't mind, I want to meet you this weekend...

 

The throw pillow plops onto the rug from Yifan's teeth.

(Yeah, it's disgusting, but we always have our own disgusting habit, don't we.)

Chanyeol just asked him for dinner. A dinner. It's not like their usual outing after practices, it's a special dinner. Yifan's hands unconsciously flail, his phone flies and lands onto the soft rug. Park Chanyeol asked Wu Yifan for dinner. This event needs to be registered into his self-published autobiography.

Realizing that he hasn't replied to Chanyeol's chat message yet, he sends, 'I'm sorry I didn't check my phone'. He then types, 'Today's dinner sounds good ^^', but decides to erase the emoticon because that makes him less manly. He only sends emoticons to Sehun since it was his younger brother who started it.

 

10:17am

Do I bother you?

 

"No!" Yifan shouts, making Sehun who's currently opening the fridge door stare at him incredulously. His love life even manages to make him oblivious to his brother's existence downstairs, and Sehun isn't exactly the quiet type of person.

"What are you playing?" asks the younger brother from the kicthen.

"Nothing!" answers Yifan nonchalantly as he types his answer to Chanyeol.

 

10:18am

Please come to my house around 6pm. My mom's making the best cheese penne ever :)

10:18am

You still remember the way to my house, don't you?

 

Yifan nearly hyperventilates. Sure he's met the younger guy's mother, a pleasant woman with kind smile that she inherited to her son, but he's never been invited for a dinner before. What does this mean? What on earth does this mean?

Whatever it is, he can only reply with 'OK' and 'See you later'. He can worry about other things later.

 

 

*

 

 

'Other things' means choosing outfits, which is why he's in front of Sehun's closet right now.

"Do you realize that you're, like, 10 centimeters taller than me," Sehun grumbles beside his brother. "Whatever you find there wouldn't fit you, hyung. I beg you to not rip my jacket just because it looks good and you want to try if you can actually fit in it."

Yifan closes the doors and sighs, "Then you come to my room and help me choose my clothes for dinner."

"Wow, a date, finally?" Sehun whistles. "I wonder which poor soul agreed having a date with you."

Yifan wishes his 13 year old little brother to just shut up because he's not that pathetic, okay? He's received a few date offers, but sadly those girls didn't know that he's gone gay for a freshman named Park Chanyeol. Their mother's been blessed by having handsome offsprings.

"Your clothes are boring, hyung, sorry to say," comments Sehun in front of his older brother's closet. "You should go shopping with me someday, seriously. What is this black trench coat? Are you in your 30s?"

"Just pick the clothes that make me look good," grumbles Yifan. He's done with his mother nagging at him every time they go shopping because 'you look as boring as your father oh my god'. He doesn't need someone to tell him that again, moreover someone 4 years younger than him.

 

 

At the end, he comes out of his home at a quarter to 6 with red knitted sweater under a navy blue coat. His mom gushed over him as he descended the stairs and asked him anything about that girl and Yifan had to shrug her off because he was going to be late and there was no actual girl to tell about. He takes a walk to Chanyeol's home because he lives in an apartment complex not far from Yifan's --how convenient is that?-- and partly because he needs to calm his nerve down if he doesn't want to stutter like a loser the second he sees Chanyeol's face. His mind suddenly imagines how the younger guy looks like at home; does he like to wear shirts? Or is he going to wear tidier clothes since they're going to have dinner together? Is he making an effort to look better in front of Yifan? Either way he's sure that Chanyeol will look fine and cute.

Ah, he misses that boy even though he just saw him yesterday. Is this what people call love?

I lost my mind when I first met you everything except you get in slow motion~

 

 

*

 

 

The one who opens the door for Yifan after he pushed the bell button isn't Chanyeol, much to the guy's dismay. Mrs. Park welcomes him with a cheerful hello and lets him hang his coat by the hanger next to a big shoe rack. The middle aged woman shouts to the upstairs, calling Chanyeol to get down because 'your Yifan hyung is here' before she ushers Yifan to the living room to have a seat on the comfy sofa.

'Your Yifan hyung' sounds sweet to Yifan's ears, and he bites his lower lip to prevent himself from grinning.

Chanyeol comes down a minute later, his hair a bit disheveled as if he just woke up from a nap. He looks normal but at the same time fine; he wears a plain white turtleneck shirt and deep blue jeans, making his legs look a mile longer. After their eyes met, Chanyeol immediately bows and that's so cute because the younger guy hasn't bowed to him in a long time; the last time he did was when Yifan was appointed as the new captain and all members bowed to him. Maybe it's his way to hide his face? Blushing cheeks or not, Yifan mimics his gesture and he sits back down the sofa again.

"Um," Yifan tries to begin a conversation but he fails because Chanyeol's so quiet. The younger guy listens to him in silence, waiting for him to begin his sentence. "Thank you for inviting me to have a dinner, Chanyeol-ah."

At those words, Chanyeol's face brightens. "It's okay, hyung, really," he answers softly.

Before Yifan has the chance to produce any grossly sweet answer, Mrs. Park calls them to come to the dining room. Chanyeol stands up first and looks behind a bit, indicating Yifan to follow him. When they arrive, there are a lot of delicious looking dishes on the table and true to Chanyeol's word, there is a big plate of Cheese Penne. Yifan gulps silently because gosh, that's his favorite pasta and to think that Chanyeol invited him, the younger guy must've remembered his favorites. Yifan sobs internally as he sits on the seat beside Chanyeol and across Mrs. Park. The head of the family is apparently out of the town and will be back in two days, informs the mother. 

The dinner goes quietly, without Chanyeol's usual boldness and loud laughter, he's rather silent and reserved. The conversation mainly goes between Yifan and Mrs. Park, asking him about his mother and little brother. Did Yifan tell you that his mother and Chanyeol's are college friends? He surely didn't.

At times Yifan glances at the younger guy beside him and watches him eating his mashed potatoes quietly, nodding to his mom as she talks about this good college Yoora is currently studying in in the US. Yifan sees that Chanyeol actually tries to get engaged into the conversation but he always holds himself back. Why is he?

After they're done with dinner and desserts, Chanyeol wordlessly tugs Yifan's hand and holds it, pulling him upstairs. Yifan follows him confusedly, taking up the stairs with Chanyeol in front of him, still holding his wrist loosely.

Maybe he's going to be rejected tonight and the dinner was a consolation present.

Chanyeol opens the door at the left and lets Yifan come in. The room is definitely Chanyeol's with a guitar standing at the corner and a poster of L'arc en Ciel live tour attached on the wall; it's quite small but comfortable, and Yifan can imagine the younger guy having a good time confined in his room because as much as he likes to socialize, there are times when he likes it more to be alone.

Park Chanyeol has his own world and Yifan secretly wants to be a part of it.

Chaneyol is sitting on the edge of the bed while Yifan is looking around. The older guy is buying his time before the other boy in the room drops the bombs. That might be the first and the last time he's gonna have a chance to get into Chanyeol's bedroom, so he might as well look around and save each detail. He can see Chanyeol's eyes follow him, and when he finally turns to the younger boy they're filled with amusement.

"Are we going to talk about something?" asks Yifan after he sits beside Chanyeol. The latter is playing with the hem of his shirt and that makes Yifan confused. What's so doubting in rejecting someone? A minute has passed and Chanyeol still doesn't have courage to look up and see Yifan in the eye. The still waiting guy just sighs and stands up, "It's getting late, Chanyeol-ah. I better go back home now."

"Hyung! Wait--" Chanyeol's scream's cut by a series of coughing fit and that sends Yifan into panic. He half runs to the nightstand to fetch a glass of water that stands beside some bags of meds--

Is Chanyeol sick?

Of course he is, , he’s coughing out his lungs now, his mind kicks his figurative self in the shin and he rushes to Chanyeol’s side, handing him the water. The younger guy still cannot take a gulp due to endless cough, so Yifan rubs his back helplessly while helping him gripping onto the glass. After a few minutes, Chanyeol has taken a few gulps of water, Yifan’s hands still around his as he puts the glass down to the nightstand.

“Are you alright now?” Yifan cannot help but ask worriedly. The latter nods weakly, eyes still teary after his almost dying (?) experience. The door is suddenly knocked, followed by muffled question ‘Chanyeol-ah are you okay’ from outside. It’s Chanyeol’s mother, apparently. Well, who else? The said guy stands to walk toward the door, his mother’s worried voice can be heard by Yifan after Chanyeol opened it.

“Have you taken your medicine, hmm?” asks the mother, which Chanyeol answers with a soft ‘no’. “Take them now, okay?”

Chanyeol goes back to his bed, on where Yifan is still sitting, but the other guy just widens his eyes when Chanyeol doesn’t go to the space beside him, but climbs the bed and places both of his knees on beside Yifan’s thighs before he places his butts onto Yifan’s lap.

Chanyeol is sitting on my lap. Oh my God.

The younger of the two snakes his arms loosely around Yifan’s neck and places his head onto his senior’s shoulder. Now what? Yifan thinks. At the end, he hugs Chanyeol’s slim waist and rocks their body a bit. Maybe Chanyeol really isn’t feeling well, but now he’s confused of what he has to do next his junior must be tired and need rest, but they’re getting a little bit too comfortable and Yifan honestly doesn’t want to let go just yet. He doesn’t know when he’ll get an armful of Chanyeol on his lap later again.

“I didn’t intend to make you wait for so long, hyung,” Chanyeol murmurs to Yifan’s nape, unconsciously sending chill down his senior’s spine. This is getting dangerous, Yifan’s mind says, but his body cannot cooperate and just stays still, even tightening his embrace around Chanyeol’s body.

“It’s okay, Chanyeol-ah,” Yifan eventually answers. “I told you I’d wait, didn’t I?”

“It’s just--” Chanyeol coughs again and Yifan rubs his back to soothe his tensed muscle. “It’s just,” he repeats with much softer tone. “I couldn’t tell you that day.”

“Why is it so?” asks Yifan.

“Um, hyung,” Chanyeol breaks their hug and faces Yifan, biting his lower lip. Cute, screams Yifan internally. “I couldn’t speak when you confessed to me.”

Well.

What?

“But you were with your big-eyed friend in the other day and laughed along with him!” exclaims Yifan, which sounds more like an accusation.

Chanyeol moves to side on the bed beside Yifan and furrows his eyebrows in confusion before his face brightens in realization. “Yesterday?” he laughs. His laughter’s supposed to be loud but it comes out almost silently. “I talked and laughed but came out more like whispers. It was funny when I was behind him and called him, I sounded like those ghosts in the movies!” and then he tries to replay how he whispered to the back of his friend’s head and the reaction he got over it. It’s fascinating to see how Chanyeol tells him with almost wordless moves but the message he gets is as loud as normal circumstances.

Maybe it’s because you will always know what happens to anyone you love. Or maybe Chanyeol’s just easy to read. But then the freshman coughs again because of his endless laughter, making Yifan take him again in his embrace to rub his back.

“You don’t know how this ,” murmurs Chanyeol to Yifan’s shoulder, close enough to the older’s ear to hear. “That day was when I was supposed to have English oral test. Can you imagine when Mrs. Kyle called me and I got nothing to say? In the end I just whispered my answers to her ears because that was the best I could do. And then you confessed to me. How should I answer if I couldn’t even say your name?”

“You sure talk a lot for someone who lost their voice,” Yifan chuckles. He can hear Chanyeol whine almost silently and he automatically caresses his junior’s back again. “But you haven’t gotten better today, though.”

“But here is so quiet, you can even hear my whispers and my heart beating for you.”

“Well, okay.”

“God, hyung, you’re so slow,” Chanyeol chuckles. “I just answered your confession and your reaction was ‘okay’.”

Oh.

OH.

Yifan breaks the hug and looks at his junior with wide eyes, looking for any sign that other guy’s just kidding but he only finds sincerity and also amused sparkles. Chanyeol’s smiling, and he cannot help but copy his smile.

“God,” Yifan finally speaks after a minute of staring competition. “Are you serious…? Chanyeol-ah, tell me your exact answer, please.”

“My throat is currently wounded and you still force me to speak,” says Chanyeol almost silently, teasing tone still clear in his words. “Yes, hyung. My answer is yes.”

“Thank you,” Yifan hugs his now boyfriend until Chanyeol’s body falls onto the mattress and they roll together. He somehow can feel that Chanyeol’s been waiting to cuddle with him for so long and now he finally has the right to. Yifan’s now lying on his back with Chanyeol on his, rubbing his nose onto Yifan’s chest and it feels tickly.

“What are you doing?” asks Yifan when Chanyeol’s hands suddenly caress his sides and move down to his thighs. He cannot be this bold on our first day, right…? He panics internally until Chanyeol fishes out his phone from his jeans pocket. “What are you—“

Chanyeol just grins. “Texting your mom that you’re staying the night at my place,” he types the message on Yifan’s Kakaotalk. “I’m not enough cuddling with you and I’ve been having trouble sleeping but your chest is so comfortable. By the way, is your immune system strong?”

“I won’t get your virus, don’t worry,” Yifan rolls to his side so he can hug Chanyeol better. “Oh, and I need to message someone.”

Chanyeol gives back the phone and looks at who his boyfriend texts to. He cannot understand what the message is about and who 鹿晗 is because their display picture is just Manchester United logo.

 

07:49pm

Got a boyfie~

07:49pm

When will you o(´^`)o

07:51pm

On a date with Minseok

07:51pm

Ttyl

07:51pm

WTF?!

 

 


yeah so sorry for my really late krisyeol bday celebration and early xmas/newyear present hahaha /kicked

chanyeol's condition here was the state when i began this story and due to work and other things... well i think i'm making excuses here haha sorry sorry

i might make another oneshot of krisyeol soon as the last story and also my farewell gift.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...to this year muahahahaha