Memories by the tip of my finger

Blue Butterfly Promise

She walked carefully with her heavy footsteps, and it has been years she walked this way. There's not much weight on her shoulder, but surely the weight that she carried somewhere is enough to make a dent on the pavement she walked on.

If the buildings and the trees are able to speak, even if it's from the mind only, they might be asking her questions based on what they witnessed.

"Hey, why are you alone?"

"Hey, where's the other one?"

And she'll reply them with eyes on the verge of tears, only staring with no sound coming out from . After a long walk, she suddenly move with a quick pace and turning up the volume of her music until there's no other sound could penetrate her ears except for the ballad she heard.

It was on this particular Cafe, it was inside that place she left a lot of memory. She doesn't want to smell even a whiff of the coffee or cinnamon smell of the cafe, it'll hurt her deep down until the bones. But even her quick footsteps failed to prevent the memory from surging in.


The autumn leaves were falling, and winter was coming.

She was there with her, on a table for one, but enough to be occupied by two. She would push her wheelchair gently into the other side of the table, and she would be the one who occupy the lone seat, just right beside her. The other girl was banned from anything related to caffeine because of her sickness, but she liked to smell the aroma. So they ordered only a cup of latte for the other girl, and spend most of the time sitting there for talking.

"I am truly glad that you take me here." the girl with the wheelchair said, "I miss the smell of coffee, you know?" she chuckled and the other girl followed before nodding. "Your taste never changed despite of your condition." she smiled beautifully, "I know you well." she gently patted the other girl's hand with her extended hand and smiled gently.

"You're my bestfriend, of course you know me Tiffany." she grinned widely and failed to notice the shifting gaze, "How's your boyfriend though? He treated you good? I swear I'm going to kill him with my wheelchair if he dared to do anything bad." she scrunched her eyebrows in an angry way, but still funny enough for Tiffany to laugh with her dazzling eyesmile. "He will not hurt me, Taeyeon. He wouldn't dare to because he know who's he dealing with later." Tiffany answered with a slight smile, "Still, I don't like him. Never. Ever since the first day I met him, I sensed something wrong already. Even his thick and luscious eyelashes annoyed me." Taeyeon said with a pout.

Tiffany fell into silence for a minute before opening up again, and her voice was low. "He won't be able to hurt me even if he wanted to." she fiddled with the hem of her jacket, "I've ended our relationship weeks ago." Taeyeon eyes widened and Tiffany looked away. "No one told me that you ended the relationship." Taeyeon placed her hand on her shoulder, "Why?" she rubbed her shoulder for comfort.

"I am not able to love him back, and I'm sorry for not telling because I am afraid that you'll be stressed by thinking of my condition." Tiffany smiled and cupped Taeyeon's hand while smiling, saying that she's fine. "At least call me, and maybe I could distract you even if I didn't know what." Taeyeon smiled back and knuckled her head, "Don't make me feel like I am nothing to you." she laughed and Tiffany only smiled.

 They stared at each other for a while, like it was in highschool days.

"You're not nothing to me, never." she said in a whispering manner and Taeyeon failed to heard that. She didn't say anything but only staring at her with scrunched eyebrows and Tiffany replied by shaking her head. "Alright, tell me." Taeyeon huffed a sigh, "I won't fall for that trick again." she said while tapping her fingers on the side of her wheelchair. "What trick?" Taeyeon pointed her head and shook her head, "That's not a trick." Tiffany rolled her eyes in denial.

"For years I've known you and that's the only thing you do if you want to keep things from me. You ended up spilling it though, but it's better if you tell me immediately if the thing started to burden you." she locked her gaze with Tiffany and the latter keep on shifting. "Not now.." Tiffany only smiled and shook her head again. Taeyeon sighed again but she smiled later while caressing Tiffany's head.

"Make sure you tell me before I got into intensive treatment again, Okay? We might not be able to meet again." she grinned and dismissed Tiffany's curious questions even before she asked any.

Yes, she hardly seen her after that meeting. Weeks turned into months, and she spent it alone in that cafe.

One day, Taeyeon asked to meet her. She's now bringing an IV by the side of her wheelchair, and her head was covered with a beanie. She got no hair left on her head, but still looked as beautiful as ever. Instead of the cafe, they took a walk on the park. Her appearance got Tiffany thinking without stopping. What if the accident never happened? What if Taeyeon's neurons and nerves were never infected, and her spine was still alright after that accident? What if there's no complication with her brain?

What if Tiffany never hid the truth from Taeyeon?

Taeyeon would still be the Taeyeon she loved back in highschool, beautiful, smart, high-spirited out of the introverted side, and would accept her for whoever she was. But Tiffany was caught in her own prejudice.

But Tiffany couldn't rewind the time, she was only able to held the grip of Taeyeon's wheelchair, walking slowly behind her, watching her dear 'bestfriend' slightly dying and fighting. She gritted her teeth whenever she got reminded by how many tears Taeyeon shed when she struggled hard, but mustered a smile in front of the others. Taeyeon barely said any word when they're strolling on the park, but smiled or laugh occassionally. Tiffany could only stare and slightly smile alongside Taeyeon.

"Hey, spill." Taeyeon suddenly said, and Tiffany was surprised. "What is there?" she asked, and Taeyeon scoffed. "What you hid from me? Months ago on that cafe? Hello there, memory to Hwang Miyoung." Taeyeon . "You're truly curious, huh?" Tiffany sighed and Taeyeon nod her head quickly. "Remember when I said that I couldn't love him back eventhough the chances were great? It's because I've placed my heart on someone else." Tiffany's eyes shifted, she remember how Taeyeon always tried to manage some time for Tiffany just to answer her questions of how to manage her relationship, and being the one who always stay with her rather than him.

"Heart, eh? If you say it that way, he wouldn't stand a chance to have your love." Taeyeon chuckled, "Who's the lucky person? Do I know him?" she smiled while tilting her head to the side, playing with Tiffany's hair. "You know the person. But I won't tell." Tiffany pretended to have a zipper on , zipping it and threw the key away. Taeyeon frowned and suddenly messing up with Tiffany's hair who was crouching beside her.

Tiffany pouted but she was saying 'Sorry' a thousand times in her heart. "I'll spill on the right time." she smiled apologetically. "Alright." Taeyeon finally sighed, "Are you happy?" she asked, her face worried. Tiffany smiled and nod, "I am happy. I got you and that's enough." she grinned and poked Taeyeon's cheek who smiled a bit. "You know that I won't last.. How would you remained happy?" when the question uttered, Tiffany's sadness was obvious.

Another silence, and they were looking at each other again.

There was a blue butterfly landing on top of Taeyeon's beanie for a good second, then it flew away. Taeyeon smiled after that. "Oh, I know.." she said while smiling, "Why don't you catch a blue butterfly?" she was looking at the blue butterfly that was flying without knowing where to land, and she extended her hand, hoping that it would land there. "Why?" she didn't understand why, it seems weird.

"It made me happy, for a second. Butterfly has always been my favourite animal, despite of what they said about them. I don't believe that they came because it's gonna be the day you die, maybe it came to remind you that your life is longer than them." she chuckled, "Appreciate your life and be happy, that's the best reason why." the butterfly didn't land on Taeyeon's hand, but she was smiling brightly when she looked at Tiffany.

Tiffany diverted her gaze towards the blue butterfly, and she raised one of her eyebrows towards Taeyeon. "Want me to catch that butterfly?" she smirked and Taeyeon knew what was on her mind, "I can't give you anything, you know." she sighed and Tiffany smiled. "If I am able to catch the butterfly, I promise you that I'll be happy, and you need to promise me that you will live longer." Tiffany offered her pinky and Taeyeon chuckled. "Never too old for pinky-promise, I guess." she hesitantly extended her pinky, "Okay." Taeyeon grinned, the other one mirrored the bright expression.

Tiffany ran towards the blue butterfly and Taeyeon laughed at the sight. A grown up woman with office clothing, trying to catch a blue butterfly that flew far away from the reach, and it was so ridiculous because of her high heels.

When Tiffany was gone from her sight, she clutched on her wheelchair and bit her lip hardly, trying to surpress the regret and all the grief that she kept away from Tiffany.

 


 

Tiffany was not able to catch the blue butterfly that day, and dust mixed with perspire was the only thing left from the attempt, and also broken heels. Taeyeon said it was okay, and Tiffany was not able to notice the puffy bags under Taeyeon's eyes.

They've broken the promise.

Tiffany was and still, not happy. Taeyeon couldn't live any longer either. She left everyone exactly a week after that day, and Tiffany was crying everyday after the burial.

Staring at the damned cafe where they usually sat and talked, she regretted her decision not to spill the truth when Taeyeon asked her to. She might have a chance, and she knows that the chances are much more priceless and beautiful for her to have. But now, her only happiness has gone away along with her heart, the strings was tied up to the sky where there'll be no one else left to reach it.

"If only..." she sobbed.

She looked up to prevent her tears from falling, and she sees the butterfly that she was not able to catch. It landed on top of her bag and flew away just before Tiffany laid the tip of her finger. Again, dust was the only thing left by the butterfly, and it must go before its life ended. Unconsciously, she stopped crying, and the corner of twitched upward.

"I am able to live longer, eh?" she said while smiling, although not fully happy. Tiffany sighed loudly and moved her feet away from the cafe, silently saying goodbye to the trees there, and to the butterfly.

She needs to move on, because she got all time in the world to change and be happy.

"Be Happy." the butterfly said. And she smiled.