Dreams

Dreams

 

I had a dream about you. You were walking and I was walking beside you. You held my hand, so soft and faint. Your hands felt like sandpaper so rough against mine but my heart leapt in my chest with excitement anyway. I was holding hands with you, you were smiling at me. Everything was happy.

I couldn’t see your face all that clearly but I knew it was you. Only you could make me feel this intense feeling of euphoria. Only you that could evoke my feelings of want for someone else. I had never fallen this bad. The sky was bright blue and the clouds were in the shape of hearts and stars, as if they were carved just for us.

Nothing could go wrong. Absolutely nothing. I loved you, you loved me. Nothing would bring us apart.

Then, something happened and the air around us turned black as midnight.

Your hand left mine and I looked at you in confusion. You were still smiling, picking up your pace and leaving me behind. I tried to keep up but every two steps I took, you took five more steps. I reached for your hand but it was impossible; you were escaping me. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes as I struggled to keep up but … I couldn’t. 

The once pleasant path we were walking upon split in two. Without looking back at me, you strayed off to the one of the left and broke from you small sprint to a run. I tried to run after you but the path shoved me off to the side. The trees bent down and entangled me in their branches, trapping me while I screamed your name hysterically. “Help me! I need you!” I repeated over and over.

You seemed to hear my cries because you turned around. I met your eyes and, with that adorable smile of yours still plastered on your face, you hurried back. The path seemed to like you more than me because it had no problem leading you straight to my cage of wood.

I reached for your hand, hoping you would take it and pull me free. Instead, you looked at me, your smile dropping into an expression of indifference.

“I don’t care.” You muttered. And with that, you disappeared in a wave of cherry blossom flowers, leaving me with the pain of a broken heart and in a cage of darkness.