Surprise

A Warm Cup of Happiness

Luhan ran excitedly down the stairs as a warmup for forth period's P.E. His body was small and his looks were definitely girly but he loved sports more than anything, especially football. His advantage was the very thing that often held him behind; his looks. The other players would usually underestimate him because of his feminine appearance, making it easier for him to prove them wrong by showing off his skills.

However, his excitement completely vanished when he saw the tall, slim figure waiting for him outside the school gates. A blonde head was nervously turning left and right, looking for Luhan, obviously. But why was Sehun at his school? It had been a few months since they broke up but Luhan still wasn't completely over it, even though he'd never admit it.

"Hey", he said, trying to act cool and approached the boy. "What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk", Sehun replied seriously, avoiding any sort of chit chat. He didn't have time to waste, he needed to meet Baekhyun after school as well. "Can you skip forth period?"

"But it's P.E.!", Luhan protested. No matter what Sehun had to say, he was sure as hell it wasn't more important than football. "Can't we meet after school? I'll buy you bubble tea, I swear". The short boy regretted his words as soon as they came out of his mouth. Without realising it he was speaking like normal to Sehun, just like when they were together and he first gave him bubble tea. He could still remember Sehun's eyes lighting up when he took his first sip, ruining his eternal pokerface. "Whoa", he had whispered, "This is good".

Luhan felt the need to punch himself. Why was he remembering all that stuff when he should be warming up? Why did he allow Sehun to mess with his head so easily?

Sehun sensed the tension rising up and he rushed to break the silence.

"I can't", he said, "I have other plans".

"Oh". Luhan may have regretted making such an offer but the last thing he expected was a rejection. "Plans with your boyfriend?", he asked, wondering why did he even cared whether Sehun had a boyfriend or not.

"No", Sehun replied and as if he had sensed Luhan's relief, he instantly added, "But my boyfriend is the reason I'm here".

"Huh? What does that mean?". Luhan was now feeling completely lost. What was Sehun trying to say?

"I told him about our past and he got seriously angry at me. He said he would break up with me if I didn't apologise to you and I mean, I can see why he feels that way. I was an to you. So here I am." Sehun took a deep breath. "Feeling sorry. Trying to patch things up".

Luhan wasn't sure if the feeling that was overwhelming him was either anger or frustration. Patch things up? What kind of sick joke was this?

"No", he whispered after a few seconds of silence. " you, Sehun. you.". He felt tears welling up his eyes. "How dare you? Suddenly appearing in my life again, after months of absence, just to give a half assed apology. No, I can't accept this. Feeling sorry? Don't make me laugh. You don't feel sorry, you said it yourself, your boyfriend made you come here."

"No, Luhan, I really am-...".

"Leave". His command was firm and cold. Sehun always had a huge influence on him, partly because of his feelings and partly because Luhan was an idiot but this time, he was going to put an end to this. He ran back inside without looking back, wondering whether Sehun would try to stop him or not. No, of course he wouldn't. He had accomplished his mission, he had apologised. Regardless of Luhan's reply, Sehun had finished his task.

If only he had glanced behind him one last time he would have seen Sehun's tears and maybe the burden that made his stomach hurt wouldn't hurt as much.

When school was over, Luhan felt the need to revisit the coffee shop him and Sehun used to go to all the time. He wasn't sure why he wanted to go there, maybe for old time's sake? Anyhow, when he arrived at the shop the last thing he expected to see was Sehun, casually chatting with a short, clearly distracted boy that didn't pay attention to him. Was that his boyfriend? No, Sehun said he had plans with someone else. What was he talking about for so long? Sehun had always been quiet and reserved type and Luhan had never seen him so lively before. He ignored the little voice in his head that was telling him "curiosity killed the cat" and carefully approached the two boys.

Trying not to panick, he sat just a few tables away after making sure that neither of them had noticed him. When the waiter asked for his order, Luhan silenced him with his finger. While eavesdropping, he was sure he heard Sehun mentioning his name.

"And that's why I'm helping you, Baekhyun", Sehun was saying. "Because I've been where you are only I was way worse. I didn't just hurt Luhan, I didn't have the guts to admit it either. I never managed to be honest with him, not even today. I acted like an again, using Tao as an excuse instead of admitting that I simply felt bad and wanted to clear things up". Sehun stopped talking for a minute and stared at his friend. "I also got an abortion", he added after a few seconds in the same, serious tone. "Because my meth addiction wouldn't allow me to raise the baby".

Sehun sighed when he realised that Baekhyun was clearly not listening to him. "I guess I won't get a reaction from you unless I mention Chanyeol's name, right?"

Baekhyun stood right up and looked around the room frantically. "Chanyeol? Where is he?".

"Nevermind", Sehun smiled. "Come on, let's go".

When the two of them stood up, Luhan quickly hid his face behind the menu, hoping they wouldn't notice him. As soon as he heard the shop's door closing behind them, he let out a sigh of relief. But what was Sehun talking about? Was there a chance he actually felt bad? He said he used this Tao as an excuse. If Tao was his boyfriend, did that mean that Sehun came to find him on his own?

"So, what is this? Some sort of undercover mission?". Just then Luhan realised that the short waiter with the spiky, orange hair had never left and probably heard everything as well.

"Ah, sorry", he mumbled, feeling flustered, "I didn't mean to-... Sorry".

"Oh no, it's okay. There aren't many customers anyways", the boy replied cheerfully and the way his cheeks raised up while smiling reminded Luhan of a baozi. "Should I bring your bubble tea now?"

"How did you-...?"

"I remember you from when you were still dating that guy", the cute boy said and pointed torwards the door Sehun had exited from. "Both of you drank bubble tea like junkies, no waiter would ever be able to forget you. I'm Xiumin by the way".

"Nice to meet you", Luhan said and gave him a shy smile. He wasn't sure whether this Xiumin guy was being kind or just plain nosy. "I don't remember you at all though".

Xiumin laughed and run his hand through his hair. "Of course, no one ever remembers the waiter or the bus driver, even if you see them everyday. It's normal. And most times, they don't remember you either. They see a whole bunch of different people everyday, no one is able to remember that many different faces. Well, no one except me", he said and smiled proudly.

Luhan blinked several times, unable to believe what he was hearing. "So... In other words... You're telling me you remember every single customer that has been inside this shop?"

Xiumin nodded, obviously pleased with Luhan's amazed face. "But it's also the other waiter's fault, Chanyeol's. That stupid giant has dated half of them and oh lord, the dramas he has put me through because his of complete lack of intelligence. Even now, he's hiding in the back room because that Baekhyun dude-... Oh, he's back!". Luhan turned around in terror, fearing that he'd face Sehun but thankfully, it was his friend, the short distracted one. But this time, he seemed impatient and when he asked Xiumin where Chanyeol was, Luhan noticed his voice was trembling After Xiumin showed him Chanyeol's hideout, he sat next to Luhan looking exhausted.

"See? That's the kind of I have to put up with every day. So... What's your story?"

Luhan was momentarily surprised by his sudden interest but eventually, he managed to answer.

"What do you mean?"

Xiumin playfully messed up Luhan's hair and laughed. "Come on, you can't expect me to believe that following people around and eavesdropping is your hobby. Something happened to you".

Suddenly, Luhan realised that he had never spoken to anyone about Sehun before. He wasn't a loner, he had plenty of friends but no one was insterested in him and his homoual problems. It was the first time someone cared enough to sit next to him and ask him to share his feelings and thoughts.

"Why should I trust you?", he asked suspiciously.

Xiumin smiled kindly and Luhan felt his cheeks blushing.

"Why shouldn't you?"