When The Snow Falls

When The Snow Falls

The air conditioner hummed quietly, blowing out cool air. Jongin sat at the glass dining table, his cellphone by his side. He admired the way the petals of the roses in a vase on his dining table moved when the cool gush of wind came. Jongin smiled to himself. White roses are his favorite after all. There was never a reason why. He was only able to come up with a theory. Jongin decided he liked white things. White signified purity, sincerity. Though red roses were its cousin, it signified a different thing. Red could mean two entirely different things. It could mean love, yes, but it could also mean hatred, vengeance. Jongin preferred white roses to red ones.

Jongin lived by three simple values. They were simple when said, but not simple when done. He had them written down in his journal and on a piece of paper that he kept in his wallet. Give without expecting anything in return. Respect others and others will respect you. Be kind and others will be kind to you. Those were his principles to a good life. And he was not wrong. He has lived a pleasant life so far.

Jongin had an off-day today. He worked a simple job. Jongin didn’t need much money anyway. He had backup. His life savings were one, his parents’ monthly allowance, his salary, they payed off all debts he owed to the government.

It was one of the days when Jongin felt like going out. Many were staying indoors now because of the mini snow storm. But snow couldn’t and wouldn’t stop him. Winter was his favorite season anyway. Remember, Jongin liked white things. Jongin had on a thermal woollen shirt and jeans. He wrapped a red scarf around his neck meticulously, adjusting every crook when the scarf curved around the contours of his neck. He slid on a beanie and leather gloves on his smooth, lady-like hands.

When Jongin opened his front door, he shivered. Heck, it was wintry and the temperature was running down the negatives. The air was crisp and dry and Jongin reminded himself to drink up more. Not many walked the streets with this weather. Jongin’s boots made sloshing sounds when it came into contact with wet snow and Jongin contined to walk. There was a café just two roads down and that was where he was headed.

Jongin wanted to see a guy that worked there. He had big eyes, not a very common gene in Korea and dark black hair. He had thick lips and smiled often. And Jongin wondered if he was just smiling because it was part of his job. Jongin passed by his friend’s house. It was quiet but he could see Taemin’s mother sweeping snow off their lawn. Her husband passed away a few years back but she had nothing to worry about. Her one and only son, Lee Taemin, he was an extremely good dancer. He practiced for hours each day, perfecting every move till he was a hundred and one percent sure that it was right. Jongin admired him, he still does, but he rarely ever sees Taemin anymore. Taemin works as a dance instructor in a famous dance school in Canada. He sends money to his mom every month.

“Morning, Mrs Lee,” Jongin said, just loud enough so the middle aged woman could hear him. She looked up from sweeping snow and sees Jongin.

“Jongin! What are you doing out here when it’s so cold?” She asked.

Jongin chuckled. “I could say the same for you. Don’t stay out too long. I’m sure Taemin doesn’t want you to get sick while he is away.”

The woman smiled with gratitude. “Where are you headed, son?”

“Just to the café two roads down,” Jongin answered with a smile. “I wanted to get something warm on a cold day like this.”

“Get along on your way then,” the lady smiled gently, patting Jongin’s shoulder.

Jongin continued on his way and she began to sweep snow once again.

 

Jongin stepped into the café, the glass door swinging shut behind him. The faint tinkling of the bells at the door came to a stop and he inhaled the heavenly scent of the arabica beans. Jongin pulled off his leather gloves, revealing his ever so smooth hands. He placed them carefully in the pocket of  his jeans and stood in the queue. Jongin already knew what he wanted. It was the only thing he drank there.

Jongin smiled when he saw that the person he wanted to see was taking orders. The nametag read D.O but Jongin never believed that that was his name. When Jongin finally reached the counter, he smiled at Kyungsoo. The latter smiled back at him, waiting patiently for Jongin to state his order. Jongin felt faint at that moment, having Kyungsoo smiling at him so beautifully.

“A hot white chocolate mocha, please,” Jongin squeaked out, and he mentally cursed at himself for being so soft.

Kyungsoo frowned gently but the frown was quickly erased. “I’m sorry, but what was that?”

Jongin swore his heart skipped a beat when he heard Kyungsoo’s voice. He sounded very much like an angel. “A  hot white chocolate mocha,” Jongin repeated, just a little louder.

“Any whipped cream, or any topping at all?” Kyungsoo asked, tapping in Jongin’s order into the monitor. Jongin observed as Kyungsoo’s brows furrowed when he probably pressed something wrongly. He chuckled inwardly.

“Whipped cream please,” Jongin replied and Kyungsoo keyed in just that.

After completing Jongin’s order, Kyungsoo looked up at him with a smile. Jongin felt a million confused butterflies flying around in his stomach. Jongin smiled back brightly, his thousand watt smile reflecting in his eyes, as it was on his face.

“Here’s your receipt, sir. Please wait by the side,” Kyungsoo spoke up and Jongin snapped back to reality. Of course. He was here to buy a nice hot drink. Not smile creepily at someone he didn’t even know.


Jongin didn’t know for how many hours he had been sitting there. Many people came and left after getting what they wanted but Jongin stayed at the same table for hours. That one two-seater table by the window. Jongin wasn’t particularly doing anything, aside watching people go by, as he sat there. He looked out the window sometimes. Other times, he watched as Kyungsoo did his job.

Dusk was falling. Jongin noticed. In the afternoon, usually couples patronised the café. When evening came, it was usually families or colleagues. Kyungsoo never once spared Jongin a look. He was so immersed in his job, everything around him just seemed to... disappear.

Time passed faster at night than it did in the day. Jongin’s coffee cup had been cleared a long time back by another waitress. Now he just sat at that table, watching the couples walking hand in hand down the street. Jongin wished he had someone he could do that with. Not just someone, though. It had to be Kyungsoo.

Closing time came almost too quickly. Jongin wondered why the hell he spent the entire day at a café. Maybe he was driven on seeing Kyungsoo. Yes. That was it. The most unusual thing happened the next second. Kyungsoo was done with his shift and he slid into the seat across Jongin.

Jongin immediately straightened his posture, resting his arms on the table. Kyungsoo adjusted himself in the chair and looked up to meet Jongin’s gaze.

“You stayed here the whole day. Why? Don’t you have anything else to do?” Kyungsoo asked, merely out of curiosity.

“This was my priority. I came here to get a hot drink actually, because it was so cold in the morning. But I just ended up staying ‘cause... ‘cause of you,” Jongin whispered the last part carefully, praying Kyungsoo won’t be creeped out.

“Because of me?” Kyungsoo questioned, bewildered. “When did that come about?”

“Three months ago, when I first saw you,” Heat gathered in Jongin’s cheeks and he broke out into a nervous chuckle. “I’m sorry if this scared you, really. It’s just that... you’re too... cute.

“You think I’m cute? Really?” Kyungsoo wasn’t amused at all, he just wanted to go somewhere and laugh it off. What was this funny one sided confession he just received? That guy wasn’t being serious right? Heck, he didn’t even know his name.

“Yeah...” Jongin mumbles, his cheeks burning hot and red. “I really am sorry if you aren’t into guys, like I am.”

“I’m not going to answer anything right now, considering I don’t even know you. But don’t lose hope all too soon,” Kyungsoo slid him a paper. “Text me.”

“Are you serious?” Jongin’s face lit up for the first time in this day. “You’re giving me your number?”

“Yeah, I just did. Nothing awesome about that...?” Kyungsoo trailed off a little too awkwardly.

“What are you even talking about, it’s great!” Jongin grinned. “Thank you.”

Kyungsoo sighed inwardly as he watched Jongin leave the café. He was sure that Jongin was younger than him. He looked so, even with that ridiculous blonde hair and a cute eye smile.

“That guy, you finally talked to him,” one of Kyungsoo’s coworkers, Baekhyun, said.

“Yeah...” Kyungsoo huffed, pulling out the old rag. He began to wipe the kitchen counter but Baekhyun stopped him.

“Hey, hey, hey, I’ve done everything. I did it so you could talk to him,” Baekhyun took the rag out of Kyungsoo’s hands. Then he turned around, his back resting against the kitchen counter. “So what did you say to him?”

“I didn’t say much, but he... he sorta confessed. I don’t think it was an actual confession but it sounded like one to me,” Kyungsoo shrugged.

“What did he say, then?” Baekhyun urged Kyungsoo to continue.

“He said that he came here because of me and that I was cute,” Kyungsoo began to sound just a little happier, he was blushing even.

Baekhyun turned to face him. “Now, now, look, Kyungsoo, you’re blushing so hard. Your cheeks are as red as a rose. This is a start then. The next time he comes, do all you can to get him.”

Kyungsoo looked at Baekhyun. “I gave him my number too... Was that a right move?”

“Amazing, Kyungsoo. You’re doing great. Get him, no matter the cost. I’ve seen him smile as he watched you work. I’m guessing he really wants to get to know you too,” Baekhyun voiced. “Now we better hurry close the café. And before I forget, make a wish. It’s 11:11.”

Kyungsoo shut his eyes tight and wished that Jongin would show up the next day.


Jongin rolled the piece of paper in between his fingers. The only thing on his mind was Kyungsoo. Jongin was debating whether he should text the other guy. What if Kyungsoo thought he was weird? What if... goddamnit Kim Jongin, you should just grow some balls and text him!!, he finally told himself.

Jongin typed in his password and opened up the messaging application. What now? His fingers were stuck. He finally decided to stop fooling around and typed Kyungsoo’s number into the recipient’s field.

Hi. I’m Jongin. The guy from the café the other day. :)

Jongin didn’t expect Kyungsoo to reply that quickly but when he opened up the text notification, his eyes widened. ...Hi? This is Kyungsoo. Did you perhaps get the wrong number? I don’t know any... Jongin... :)

Kyungsoo was just kidding around with Jongin. Good thing he had a nickname. It allowed him opportunities like these. Jongin immediately typed a reply. ?? sorry!! I didn’t know! I’m sorry for all the inconvenience!!

The reply was instant. Oh dear Jongin, you are much too gullible. Funny, at that. It’s me D.O. Kyungsoo is my given name. Just thought I might play around with you a little. :)

Jongin scowled. Kyungsoo fooled him? No way. Jongin quickly typed a reply. Hey! This is unfair!

What is? Are you sad now, that I pranked you? :(, Kyungsoo typed back.

Never mind >:( let’s be peaceful. Wanna meet up?, Jongin sent the message, hopefully with no regrets.

Yeah, where? Jongin’s heart skipped a beat when he saw Kyungsoo’s reply.

Jongin had asked of Kyungsoo to meet him at Hongdae’s Mural Street. Kyungsoo agreed but asked Jongin for an hour to prepare. Jongin was reluctant on waiting for an hour. But he gave the green light to Kyungsoo because he didn’t want to stop him from doing anything. Jongin didn’t know why Kyungsoo needed so long to prepare. He let his mind wander, as he waited.

 

Jongin saw Kyungsoo standing at the wall with the most beautiful murals all throughout Hongdae. His eyes sparkled, seeing Kyungsoo standing there cluelessly. Kyungsoo wore a brown leather jacket over a checkered top. He had on jeans and cotton gloves. Not leather like classy Jongin, but a very down-to-earth sense of fashion. Jongin liked that about Kyungsoo. He was practical and realistic.

Jongin stepped forward and tapped Kyungsoo’s shoulder. The latter immediately turned around and smiled. The only thought that went through his head at that moment was, Wow, Jongin is tall. Jongin sure loved smiling. He just continued to smile at Kyungsoo until the latter broke out into a small chuckle.

“Hey,” Kyungsoo said nervously, not wanting to meet Jongin’s eyes. “I actually don’t know why I agreed to come out so late...”

Truth be told, Kyungsoo knew. He just wanted extra hours of hanging out with Jongin.

“It’s okay. We won’t take long here,” Jongin replied, thinking that Kyungsoo might not have wanted to come here in the first place.

“Oh,” Kyungsoo interjected suddenly. “I got you these. Plain milk tea and dalgona.”

“How did you know I like these? Did you read my mind?” Jongin asked with widened eyes.

“Don’t be silly. They’re my favorites. So I thought I’d make you try it if you haven’t already had,” Kyungsoo answered.

Jongin had no idea why he wanted to come to Hongdae so late at night. With Kyungsoo too. Maybe he just wanted somewhere to go to. Or it could be their unofficial date. Hongdae was prettier at night and Jongin didn’t just like white things. He liked pretty lights, anything to do with water and short jaunts of eating traditional Korean street food.

“Can I... hold your hand?” Jongin asked all of a sudden and Kyungsoo gave him with a weird look. “I just... forgot to bring my gloves.”

Kyungsoo quickly pulled out one of his gloves. “Here, you can use this.”

“No, you keep it, I just want to hold onto something,” Jongin said, returning the glove to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo agreed quite unwillingly just a minute later and pulled off the glove on his right hand. He entwined his hand with Jongin’s left hand and Jongin smiled to himself. Their hands fit like a puzzle piece and Jongin definitely enjoyed the warmth while it lasted.

 

When it got pretty late and cold, Jongin propsed to get back to their homes. Kyungsoo didn’t want to tell Jongin that the bus he usually took had stopped servicing for the night. But he did anyway, in a completely different manner.

“Where do you live?” Kyungsoo asked Jongin.

“Just two streets down.”

“Ah... okay. I just–“

“Why? Is your home too far?” Jongin could read in between the lines. He had heard the worry in Kyungsoo’s voice when he asked.

“Ye- yeah...” Kyungsoo mumbled.

“Don’t fret, you can sleep at my place. I have a spare bed,” Jongin answered. By spare bed, Jongin meant that he’d let Kyungsoo have his bed while he slept on the floor or couch. Jongin would sacrifice whatever, but only if it was Kyungsoo.

“Thank you,” Kyungsoo said, holding Jongin’s hands in his. “Thank you so much. You didn’t have to–“

“But I wanted to,” Jongin answered and Kyungsoo just kept mum. He looked down all the while Jongin was bringing him to his apartment.


The next morning when Jongin woke up, he smelt something ... cooking. He sat up and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. Not bothering to brush his hair or anything, Jongin stumbled out of his study room, where the soft couch had been. Kyungsoo had taken Jongin’s bed the previous night.

“D.O? Are you... cooking?” Jongin asked sleepily. He tried to stifle a yawn but to no avail. “I didn’t know you could cook.”

“Now you know,” Kyungsoo answered simply. He flipped the pancake and placed it on the plate. He grabbed the chocolate sauce and whipped cream from the fridge. Kyungsoo wondered why Jongin had these when he didn’t even use them. They were all new. Kyungsoo drew patterns on the side of the pancake with the chocolate sauce and a heart in the centre. He placed small blobs of whipped cream on the plate and slid it onto the kitchen counter, in front of Jongin.

“Amoureux Du Chocolat’s breakfast special,” Kyungsoo said. Amoreux Du Chocolat was the name of the café that Jongin frequented and also D.O’s workplace. The café was under a French company and part of the French food and beverage industry.

“Thanks,” Jongin replied. He cut the pancake and put it into his mouth. “Why, you have the hands of a god.”

Kyungsoo half blushed and chuckled. “Thanks...?”

“I mean it. This pancake is heavenly,” Jongin said, stuffing the pancake into his mouth. “Be my personal chef.”

Kyungsoo just laughed with him. The previous night, Jongin was very calm and composed. But this Jongin, with his humour and all, how did his character change overnight? The doorbell rang at the moment and Kyungsoo snapped out of his little reverie. Jongin’s head perked up and he slid off the chair and went to answer it.

Kyungsoo tried to peek over the kitchen counter to see who Jongin was talking to, but Jongin’s frame blocked his view.

At the door stood Jongin’s cousin’s best friend. She was his friend too. They were close but not so close.

“I’m really, really sorry for showing up suddenly but could you help me take care of Min Hee and Min Jung? Please?” Erin asked. She smiled genuinely but Jongin stared at her, not a smile or a sign of happiness on his face.

“You want me to take care of a baby? I don’t know about baby care,” Jongin said.

“Hey, Min Jung isn’t  exactly a baby. She’s 1. Just give Min Hee some paper, she’ll be quiet,” Erin argued.

“What if... what if Min Jung asks for milk? And you? Or milk from you?” Jongin asked. Erin frowned.

“I don’t... I don’t feed my children, if that’s what you mean. The formula’s in this bag. Just warm it up,” Erin answered stoically like talking about feeding to a guy was the most normal thing in the world.

“I’ve got the Pororo DVD in the bag too. Two pm is their nap time. I’ll drop by in the evening. I actually have to go to my husband’s conference like right now,” Erin said quickly.

“Oh, Taehyung? It’s not a conference, right? It’s like a fan signing thing,” Jongin said.

“Stop trying to let the world know I’m married to Kim Taehyung, you lil’ ,” Erin laughed.

“Where’s the other two?” Jongin asked. He meant Erin’s sons, the two eldest children. They had English names, considering Erin was French Canadian and American but Erin often used their Korean names when she was talking to Jongin. Or if she was speaking Korean.

“Oh. Jae Hyun is with my mom in Canada. Taehyung’s got Jae Hyuk with him,” Erin answered. “I really have to go now, so have fun.”

Erin walked quickly down the corridor she came from when she heard Jongin shout, “Hey!  I didn’t even say yes or no!” She just chuckled to herself.

Kyungsoo walked out from the kitchen. Jongin sighed. “I’ve become a babysitter now...”

“I can help,” Kyungsoo smiled.

Kyungsoo crouched down in front of the two girls who held onto Jongin’s fingers tightly. “Hello. I’m samchon-Jongin’s friend, Kyungsoo. Jongin says my cooking is nice, so do you want to try?”

The younger girl ignored him while the older one looked at him with utmost curiousity. She held her gaze for at least five seconds before saying yes.


Kyungsoo decided to stay with Jongin for the entire day, afraid he wouldn’t be able to take care of two active children on his own. When Erin arrived at Jongin’s apartment with her second son and Taehyung, baby Min Jung was asleep on the couch and Min Hee was eating a berry parfait that Kyungsoo made her. Jongin was showering.

“You are?” That was Erin’s first question when Kyungsoo opened the door.

“Kyungsoo, Jongin’s friend. I was here too when you dropped your kids off,” Kyungsoo answered. “Come in. Jongin’s showering.”

Erin stepped in and Taehyung followed, carrying a sleeping Jae Hyuk. Kyungsoo turned around. “Would you perhaps like some blueberry cheesecake? I was just making it earlier today. It should be ready by now. Or maybe, a parfait, like the one Min Hee is eating?”

“Cheesecake, please,” Erin grinned. She asked Taehyung what he wanted and he shook his head.

Jongin stepped out of the shower and heard people talking. There was only Kyungsoo and kids, so who could they be? There was a towel in his hair and he wore a singlet and knee length home shorts. He jumped when he saw Erin and Taehyung on his couch.

“Oh, gosh, let me go and dress properly,” Jongin shrieked.

“It’s okay, Jongin, sit down,” Erin stopped him.

“But Taehyung...”

“Taehyung doesn’t mind,” Erin answered for her husband. “You said you wanted to meet him. So here he is.”

“H-hi,” Jongin stuttered. Taehyung was a hip hop artist under the Big Hit Entertainment agency. He was in a group called Bangtan Sonyeondan or just BTS for short. “You’re so cool in all your music videos, you know.”

“I know,” Taehyung joked. Erin hit his arm.

“You’re too full of yourself,” Erin said.

“Do you have a favorite member?” Taehyung asked. Jongin just chuckled when he heard the question.

“You.”

“Really? Aw, thanks! Love you,” Taehyung playfully blew him a kiss and Erin frowned.

“Your favorite member is Kookie so I don’t love you,” Taehyung retorted. “I mean I love you, but I don’t love you, you know?”

Jongin just laughed at their complicated relationship. “Hey, Taehyung? Can you help me say hi to Jungkook? And tell him that he’s a really good singer, rapper and dancer? And that he’s really cute?”

“Do you want to tell him that yourself?” Taehyung asked, taking out his phone.

“Really? Will he think I’m weird?” Jongin asked. Taehyung shrugged and shook his head unsurely.

When Jungkook answered his phone, Taehyung told him that he was at his wife’s friend’s house and that the friend wanted to talk to him. Jungkook had agreed and Jongin took Taehyung’s phone.

“Hi,” Jongin said.

“Hello, you are?” The cheerful reply came and Jongin felt like he was in another world. Come on, talking to your favorite celebrities?

“I-I’m Jongin,” Jongin said. “Erin’s friend.”

“You mean Minji? Our ‘sister-in-law’ ?” Jungkook asked and laughed.

“Yeah.”

“Anyway, I wanted to tell you that you’re a really good singer, dancer and rapper. You have cute chubby cheeks and I wish that you would stop aging because you look like a cute bunny. Screw all those fans who say you have ugly teeth because you’re perfect,” Jongin was a total fan boy at that moment.

“Are you flirting with me?” Jungkook laughed, pretty much uncontrollably.

“Oh my god, no!” Jongin was stunned when he heard that question. “Taehyung will always be my ultimate bias and my crush is in the kitchen so, no, I’m not flirting with you.”

“I was just kidding, don’t get so worked up,” Jungkook said. “Are you older than me?”

“Yeah. By three years,” Jongin answered.

“Holy ! You’re 25? And sorry for not using honorifics,” Jungkook exclaimed.

“I’m 25, yes. It’s okay, you don’t have to use honorifics,” Jongin laughed.

“I’m sorry,” Jungkook said. “Can you send me your picture on our official KKT? I’m just really curious on how you look like.”

“Why? I’m really ugly, that’s all,” Jongin said. He didn’t hate himself, that was, but he particularly disliked his overly tan skin.

“Don’t say that about yourself,” Jungkook replied.

“I’m jealous of your fair skin, that is. What if you hate me?” Jongin asked.

“Don’t be ridiculous. Now you sound like an insecure teenager. What happened to being 25?” Jungkook asked.

“Okay, I’ll send. Don’t laugh,” Jongin said.

“I won’t,” Jungkook promised.

Jongin had sent an old selca of his and he didn’t expect the reply to come immediately. Jungkook couldn’t give him his private KKT, so he resorted to using the official account. When Jungkook saw the picture, he was somewhat starstruck. This Jongin guy, he had such flawless skin, the color suit him perfectly, he had such beautifully chiselled features and he called himself ugly?!

Jungkook typed a reply. What were you even saying? You look good.

Jongin didn’t want to reply to Jungkook. But he sent, I don’t know what to say... Thanks


Taking care of Erin’s kids had definitely allowed Jongin and Kyungsoo to become closer. Kyungsoo texted him more often, even, Baekhyun noticed the change. Kyungsoo was more happier now than he was before when he didn’t know Jongin.

“I think I really like him,” Kyungsoo said to Baekhyun while he was washing the dirtied plates.

“Really? Are you sure about that?” Baekhyun asked as he dried the plates Kyungsoo washed with a dish rag.

“Yeah. He’s so sweet and nice. I like his humour. He let me sleep at his house once,” Kyungsoo said.

“Wow. That’s good progress,” Baekhyun commented.

“That morning though, his friend came over with her two daughters and we babysit them for half a day. It was fun. We watched Pororo with them and played,” Kyungsoo said.

“You’re lucky, you know that? Opportunities like these didn’t come by when Chanyeol was still my crush,” Baekhyun chuckled. “Oh yeah, Chanyeol’s birthday is this week. Are you coming for his birthday lunch?”

“What? I’m sorry, I can’t. Jongin’s bringing me to BTS’ fan signing event,” Kyungsoo answered.

“BTS? Seriously! You’re so lucky. Did he buy you the tickets?” Baekhyun asked.

“No, actually, those kids we babysitted? Their dad’s in BTS and he sorta invited us. We get to go backstage and meet them privately,” Kyungsoo looked down. Why did he even tell Baekhyun about this?

“What?! How did you even get to babysit those kids? Sophia and Sabrina, right?” Baekhyun asked excitedly.

“Min Hee and Min Jung. Jongin knows their mom,” Kyungsoo replied.

“I know it’s Min Hee and Min Jung. Sophia and Sabrina is just their English and more widely used names,” Baekhyun said.

“Baekhyun? Kyungsoo? Why is there so much noise back here?” The manager, Joonmyeon, sticks his head in.

“Sorry,” Baekhyun apologized, with a slight head bow.

“Who’s their mom? Have you met her? Nobody actually knows what she looks like, or even know her name,” Baekhyun continued in an excited tone.

“I’ve met her. But seeing that nobody knows, then I won’t say,” Kyungsoo said.

That day for BTS’ fan signing event came. Jongin knocked on Kyungsoo’s apartment door and the latter opened it with a smile.

“You ready?” Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo nodded and smiled at Jongin. As the days passed, Kyungsoo uncovered more and more about Jongin. He knew Jongin liked winter and white roses, he also knew that Jongin liked holding hands. Kyungsoo knew that Jongin liked the ocean, fountains, anything to do with water. He also knew that Jongin liked dressing up and pretty lights. Kyungsoo wondered if Jongin knew a lot about him, like he did about the other guy. Of course Jongin did. He knew about Kyungsoo's passion for cooking and singing. He knew that Kyungsoo's favorite colors were orange and black. The theme of Halloween, coincidence? Not. He knew Kyungsoo liked orange flowers and anything orange. Black fruits or flowers didn't actually exist so orange substituted for it.

Kyungsoo was really excited about this. Bangtan’s manager had allowed them a day together and Jongin was really happy after he heard this. He could finally meet them, meet Jungkook. Kyungsoo well, he could meet Jimin.

At Gwangju, Jongin and Kyungsoo were faced with a crowd of mostly girls and many wearing Bangtan themed shirts. They felt left out, because both Jongin and Kyungsoo donned normal, everyday clothing. Just as they were about to walk away, one of the staff approached them.

“Good afternoon, I’m just here because Taehyung asked me to get you guys,” the staff said. Jongin smiled and he saw Taehyung standing at their “backstage” place. He was just talking to someone else.

Jongin and Kyungsoo followed the staff to the rest area, where the whole of Bangtan would be. Erin was inside with her kids and so were the rest of the hip hop group. A guy wearing a black tank top approched them. He was about Kyungsoo’s height.

“Hello, I’m Bangtan’s hottie, Jimin,” he greeted with a cheeky smile. “You are Taehyung’s friends, right?”

“Minji’s friends,” Jongin corrected.

Jimin nodded and walked away. Jongin looked around the place. It was small, but spacious enough for the cordi noonas, seven boys and four children. Just then, Jongin caught Jungkook looking at his phone and then at him multiple times.

“Hey, you can go talk to Jimin. I’ll just go talk to Jungkook over there,” Jongin said to Kyungsoo and left him where Jimin was.

Jungkook looked Jongin from head to toe, his eyes lingering especially at Jongin’s hair, when Jongin walked towards him.

“Hello, I’m Jongin, the one you talked to on the phone,” Jongin said, a little nervously. Jungkook looked at his phone and then at Jongin once more.

“Oh, it was an old selca I sent you. I had black hair at that time,” Jongin cut in and Jungkook switched the screen of his phone to off.

Jungkook just stared at Jongin for a while. “Do you lie to your parents a lot?”

Jongin was caught off guard when he heard Jungkook’s question. “No... Why?”

“Well, you lied to me! You’re not ugly,” Jungkook slid further into his chair, but immediately sat back straight when Jongin glanced at him.

“Stop it already. I feel bad you have to say this when I’m here,” Jongin said.

“Okay, what must I do to make you believe me?” Jungkook asked with a serious look.

“Anything,” Jongin shrugged. He looked over to where Kyungsoo was, watching him talk to Jimin. Everything was perfect for Kyungsoo.

“Here’s what I first thought when I saw the selca. I was shocked when I saw your face because you have such beautifully chiselled features and you call yourself ugly?! Are you kidding or what?” Jungkook shrieked.

“Maybe,” Jongin was totally not in the mood for this conversation. Who cared if he was ugly or not? It seemed Jungkook cared but Jongin didn’t.

“Are you listening to me, oh my god,” Jungkook slid into his chair again. This time he looked like a child.

“You sound like a whiny boyfriend, just saying,” Jongin raised his arms in defense.

“You’re so mean, ugh. But let me tell you a secret,” Jungkook said and Jongin nodded. “You know Jimin? I kinda like him, but he likes Yoongi so...”

“Then think of it as a competition, see who gets to him first. Pretend you didn’t know he liked Yoongi. Do everything to make him like you, do what Yoongi does,” Jongin replied simply.

“You are a genius, oh my god!” Jungkook held on to Jongin’s arm tightly.

 

The boys had to go out at twelve noon and Taehyung took Sabrina with him. Jongin watched from the entrance of the “backstage”. Taehyung had Sabrina on his lap, while he interacted with the fans. Jongin felt a tap on his shoulder and he turned around, thinking it was Kyungsoo. But it was one of the cordi noonas.

“They will have to get their faces cleaned in about five minutes. Do you want to try?” She asked.

Jongin was unsure. Sure Taehyung was his ultimate bias and all, but what if he ruined his face or wiped it too hard? He was a guy after all.

“Um, okay,” Jongin agreed reluctantly.

That five minutes that the cordi noona mentioned was like non existent. He followed a few others out and he immediately went to Taehyung. Taehyung just pretended he didn’t know him and let Jongin wipe his face.

But all hell broke loose when Min Jung [Sabrina] saw Jongin. She raised her short arms to Jongin, kicking Taehyung in the stomach. Taehyung held her back because the fan had requested that all three take a selca together.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin mumbled. Taehyung took the selfie before Min Jung started to cry and handed her to Jongin.

Jongin entered the “backstage” tent and Erin stood up when she saw Min Jung in Jongin’s arms. She stood in front of Jongin and smiled at Min Jung, asking if she wanted to go to her. But Min Jung only turned away when she saw Erin.

“Jongin, what did you do to her?” Erin asked, eyeing Jongin suspiciously.

“Nothing! Take her,” Jongin said, handing Min Jung to Erin. But Min Jung whined when Erin held her.

“Yah, I’m your mother, you know,” she said to the girl, but Min Jung continued to whine.

“You know what, just take her home,” Erin said, handing Min Jung to Jongin, the former snuggling into his chest.


Jongin and Kyungsoo spent an entire day in Gwangju at the fan signing event. It was dusk now and BTS were on their way back to the dorm. Today was one of the days when Erin brought their kids to the dorm to visit their uncles as well as their father. Jongin was the guest here and he followed in a private car, separate from the van that the band took.

Jongin arrived at their dorm, not surprised that it was smaller than it looked in videos. He watched as Erin and Taehyung went together, Jae Hyuk going to Yoongi and Min Hee to Jimin. Min Jung was sleeping when they reached so he put her down on the giant beanbag.

Seokjin was in the kitchen with Namjoon and they were preparing dinner. Hoseok was with Jimin, talking to Min Hee. Jongin felt lucky, he was able to follow BTS to their dorm, and to think. He was their fan!

Kyungsoo was speaking to Jungkook and Jongin was alone this time. He stepped out into their balcony and stood there. Snow was falling and Jongin caught flecks of it in his hand. He smiled to himself. It would be a year before winter began again and 365 days seemed too long to wait.

Someone stood beside Jongin, admiring the falling snow like he did. It was Kyungsoo.

“Pretty isn’t it?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo nodded. Jongin noticed that Kyungsoo didn’t wear his gloves like he usually would.

“Do you like winter?” Jongin asked.

“Autumn,” Kyungsoo answered. “Falling leaves.”

“Falling snow,” Jongin murmured. “And to think that autumn is right before winter.”

“D.O, have you ever wondered why I sat at the café for the whole day that day?” Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo shook his head. “You could have been cold.”

“I was cold, yes. But I was there for another reason,” Jongin said.

Kyungsoo looked up to Jongin, hoping that the latter would tell him.

“You. I was there for you,” Jongin said quickly. “Like I said that night at the café, it was three months ago, when I first saw you. I frequented to see if you were there. Every time I saw you, I just got an itchy feeling in my chest. The more I watched you work, the more I began to experience that feeling. I just wondered of all the possibilities, but if there were possibilities, there were impossible things too. You might not be gay, for all I know. But look on the bright side, they always say, and I have, and I always do, when I see you,” Jongin said slowly, matching the pace of the falling snow.

“Jongin, I–, you’ve just hit it right on the spot. After you left, I spoke to my work mate. He said that I liked you too. I just kept denying myself of it. I told myself that you were too classy to like someone as simple and down to earth as me, I thought it was impossible,” Kyungsoo said.

One member stood beside Kyungsoo. “What are you guys talking about?”

Erin came out right after him. “Leave them alone.”

And he left. Jongin hadn’t managed to see who it was. Kyungsoo too, but he was glad that he had gotten his confession off his shoulder.

“Jongin, do you think it’s possible–“

“−Anything is possible, Kyungsoo.”

It was the first time Jongin had called Kyungsoo by his name. And with that, their lips met. It felt like heaven for Jongin, such soft plump lips he was kissing. Jongin placed his hand on Kyungsoo’s neck, pulling him closer into their short, sweet kiss. When Kyungsoo pulled away, Jongin’s eyes were dazed. He quickly hugged the shorter, petite male, restoring warmth between their bodies.   


A/N: I just, I love kaisoo, that is, and this is my kaisoo maiden piece. I've never before written kaisoo in a separate story. I've only featured them in my stories. And I love white things. Jongin is based off of myself, not entirely. My character's different from his, quite different, but there are a few similarites here and there.

And yeah, I just hope that all you kaisoo shippers like this piece as much as I do. I spent five days plus writing it and if there are any mistakes, feel free to blame me.

Comments and upvotes are love, if you could do just that, I'll love you all forever.

1♥,
2H5E

STORY IS RE-EDITED as of 1809, 5th December 2014 :)