How I Feel

Pawns

I was walking through the hallway on my way to get a broom from the janitor's closet and right when I opened the door I was quickly pulled in by strong hands.

“Wha-” my mouth was quickly covered by a hand as the other pushed me towards the nearest wall. Pain coursed through my back and head as I shut my eyes and bit the inside of my cheek as to not whimper. The hand over my mouth was removed and soon slammed onto the wall next to my head.

“Come with me,” Wonwoo’s gaze pierced right through me.

“What?” I almost choked on the air.

“Come with me,” he drew in a breath, “to find Soonyoung.”

A lump formed in my throat at the mention of Soonyoung, I locked my eyes onto Wonwoo’s, “Are you out of your mind?”

His eyes flickered around for a bit as if he was searching for something, “No,” he shook his head.

“You’re insane,” I turned to leave but he slapped his hand on the wall on the other side of my head trapping me.

“Think about it for a bit.”

“Give me a reason first. Why me? Out of all the people you could’ve asked why did it have to be me? Not to mention that you wouldn’t even have spared me a single glance if I never even started talking to Soonyoung. What made you so desperate that you had to ask me?” I swallowed, dozens of thoughts running through my mind annoyance building with each breath I took.

“Same thing I told you yesterday; you’re Soonyoung’s best friend.”

“You’re wasting you’re time then. You could’ve just asked anyone else in this school that’s talked to him and they won’t hesitate for a second to say yes.”

“None of them are as smart as you. Tell me that not for one second have you found Soonyoung's disappearance not suspicious."

I stayed silent.

Wonwoo sighed before his hands fell back to his sides, “If you change your mind tell me, you have before winter break starts,” he turned and left the janitor’s closet leaving me alone in my thoughts.

“Yuna,” Seokmin followed me as I headed towards the cafeteria for lunch.

“Hm? Oh hey Seokmin,” I gave him a weak smile.

“So you know how Micha told you that someone like you? Do you want to know who it is?” he asked.

“Not really since they said they would kill her if I found out,” I answered too tired to deal with anything at the moment.

“Well it’s me,” Seokmin blocked my way not allowing me to enter the cafeteria, “I-I don’t know how to say this but um,” he rubbed his neck, “do you want to go out with me?”

“Sorry but I’m not interested in dating right now,” I made up an excuse.

“Oh I see,” Seokmin smiled at me for a bit before leaving.

I entered the cafeteria and scanned my surroundings before exiting.

What am I even doing? Eating won’t help me get my mind off of things.

I passed by classrooms looking through each of them to see if there was anything that could help. There was one classroom with a group of people circling together watching something in the center. I entered the classroom and joined the group to see that two people were in the center playing chess.

“Give it up already,” the player with the white chess pieces told the other.

The player with the black chess pieces was left with only one pawn and the king while the player with the white chess pieces had two pawns and the kind left.

“It’s not like you can just turn one of my pawns to be yours,” the player with the white chess pieces told the player with the black chess pieces.

“Why not?” the player with the black chess pieces asked, “vampires can change mundanes to vampires. So why can’t I turn one of your white pawns to a black pawn?”

“Yuna what are you doing in there?” Micha stuck her head in from the doorway.

“Just wandering around,” I went outside to the hallway closing the door quietly.

“He asked you out right?” I knew Micha was talking about Seokmin.

“I declined him.”

“I know that he already told me, the thing is he asked me if I knew why you didn’t say yes.”

“I told him why though,” I looked over at Micha.

“Well I told him it was because you like someone else and,” she smiled like she was about to laugh, “he said ‘I bet it’s Soonyoung’,” she started laughing.

I mentally face palmed myself, “did he tell you why he said that?”

She nodded, “he said it was because every time you moved over to Soonyoung’s table it would be either you taking Soonyoung’s seat or the seat next to him,” tears were starting to come out of Micha’s eyes.

“Well of course I would take Soonyoung’s seat I’m not that close to Jihoon, Mingming, or Wonwoo to take their seat and not end up with my on the floor.”

“You know you should just admit that you like Soonyoung more than a friend. That way other people won’t ask you out and you won’t have to worry about other people wanting to go out with you,” Micha started looking around the hallway.

“I don’t like Soonyoung more than a friend,” I exasperated.

“Then explain to me what you think of Soonyoung as.”

What I think of Soonyoung as? “He’s approachable,” I recalled how we first started talking to each other.

It had just turned spring during my second or third week of moving, our teacher had told us to take a seat at any desk that were joined together to form groups. Since I didn’t know everyone well nor had I started to talk to others than Hei I chose the desk across from Hei which was right next to Soonyoung. Hei and Soonyoung had been talking before I taken the seat and started talking to Hei, not even a minute passed before me and Soonyoung started conversing. For the first time since I came to the school had I never smiled so wide and wholeheartedly while talking to someone so carefree in such little time. Our short conversation ended a couple of minutes later from our teacher scolding us for talking so much. We both ended up waiting in the hallway our knees on the floor with our arms raised waiting to be brought back into the classroom. Not for a second did neither of our smiles falter even as we were being chastise or arms had started getting tired from holding them up for so long.

“Is that all you think about him? How do you feel about him then?” Micha inquired breaking the memory I had.

“I” how I feel about Soonyoung? “I’ll see you later,” I took off scanning each classroom as I did. Thoughts flooded my mind with the Micha’s question still ringing in my head.

How do I feel about him? How do I feel whenever I see him talking to someone of the opposite gender? How do I feel when I’m not or he’s not next to me during team building exercises all because he didn’t turn in his work?

Where is he? I need to find him.

I picked up my pace and entered the cafeteria searching for someone. I exited just as quickly as I entered and made my way around other students running up the stairs searching the hallway. Just as I turned my head to the side I crashed into a hard lean build, hands reached out to stable me before I could tip over and fall. I was pulled toward them with only a few inches separating us, their hands on my arms as mine were holding onto theirs.

I looked up and let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding, "I'll go with you."

Wonwoo's eyes became a bit wider as he stared at me comprehending what I just said.

"Um," someone coughed behind Wonwoo. Mingyu stood there awkwardly looking anywhere else but us. Wonwoo's hands started to loosen.

"We see you Yuna," Miok called mockingly as she ascended the stairs with Meekyoung and Micha. Both me and Wonwoo let go of each other.

"We'll talk during cleaning duty tomorrow morning," Wonwoo whispered just so I could hear. He motioned at Mingyu and they both left together.

"I see you flirting," Micha grinned.

"Woah there you cheater," Meekyoung joined in.

"First it was Mingyu then it was Soonyoung and now Wonwoo," Miok chimed.

I rolled my eyes.

Here we go again.

"I was never with Mingyu or Soonyoung," I tried defending myself.