Part I

First Date

“A little birdie told me someone has a date tonight.”

I looked up from my lunch box that I for once brought from home and found myself staring at my friend taking a seat right in front of me. She had a bowl of soup in one hand and a plate of rice with a lot of side dishes in another. She was the last one to arrive among us since she had to finish her deadline by the end of our working hour. If we didn’t persuade her to have a bite, she might have just continued working and not eat until possibly the next day.

And then, I realised what she said a moment ago. Upon that fact, I choked on my egg rolls, getting attention from Hyoyeon unnie sitting beside me. She expressed her worry by gently patting on my back and offering me a glass of water. She asked me if I was okay and I nodded as a response. I put down my chopsticks and turned to Sooyoung unnie who currently had a wide grin on her face.

“How did you know, unnie?” I asked her, hoping that shock was not shown on my face.

“He told me, of course,” she answered. “Well, I actually kind of forced him to do it because he was chattier than usual. I couldn’t take it anymore, so I threatened him.”

I widened my eyes in surprise, mouth opened like a fish taking in breath. “Unnie!”

Everyone on the table halted each of their activities and turned to me, but I couldn’t care less. She shouldn’t have done that at all, even if he did deserve it. He could be annoying at times, according to what others have told me, but that was still out of the question.

“What? I didn’t threaten to hit him,” she replied defensively. She paused for a while, getting ready to eat with her spoon in midair. Then, she looked up at me and said, “I threatened to flip his desk upside down. And he got scared and immediately told me.”

Those two sentences earned a laugh from the audience, except from me. I could only stay quiet and stare at her. I never would have thought that he would rat out to Sooyoung unnie (of all people!) that we’re going to have dinner. I thought it was mutually and silently agreed that nobody would know about it, other than the two of us.

“That was hilarious. You should have seen the look on his face!” she continued, wiping a tear on the corner of her eye. Her laughter ceased to an end and she cleared . “But the whole room congratulated him after we found out. It was so loud, you guys might have heard some commotion going on.”

“Oh, so that was your department?” Taeyeon unnie confirmed. “We were having a meeting at that time and poor intern almost spilled coffee on the boss’ lap. She was really close to tearing up.”

They finally continued to eat their lunch. I was still fuming at him for telling my friend and the whole department! He shouldn’t have said anything. I was beyond embarrassed and everyone already found out about it even before it happened. It was supposed to be a secret.

“But who is this lucky girl having a date tonight?” asked Hyoyeon unnie, causing me to look down at my lunch and just staring at it because I didn’t feel like eating anymore. “You haven’t told us yet.”

“Oh, you don’t know? Just take a look at each of us and see if someone’s avoiding your eyes.”

I could feel them watching me, waiting for me to look up and say that it was me. But I could never do that. I wasn’t that brave to admit something that huge. My friends knew that I’ve never been on a date before. They knew that I have never liked someone.

“Well, Seohyun is definitely avoiding us,” Hyoyeon unnie said. “And Yoona hasn’t said anything since you came.”

My heart was on my throat. It was getting harder to breathe. I could feel cold sweat running down my back. I wanted to take a sip or two of my water but I was too nervous to even unclench my fists on my lap.

“It’s me.”

Yes, it’s me. I blinked. Huh, what?

Everyone including me turned to the voice. It was Yoona unnie.

“Wow, it’s you?” Taeyeon unnie asked. As soon as she got a nod from the younger friend, she continued, “I actually thought it was going to be our magnae, but then I remember Jung Yonghwa is on the first floor.”

Yeah, why didn’t I think of that? I hung my head again, though feeling slightly relieved that attention was not on me like I thought it would be. So I continued my lunch silently.

“When did he ask you out?”

“Two days ago,” Yoona unnie answered enthusiastically, her food long forgotten. “I was going out of the toilet when he spotted me. He looked like he’s been waiting for me for a while because his whole face literally lit up. He said he’s been watching me ever since I became an employee here but only got the courage to ask me out now.”

“But who is this guy?”

“Lee Seunggi,” she replied, blush visible on her cheeks. “I’ve had a crush on him for a while so I immediately said yes.”

The rest of the lunch hour was spent talking about the new office couple, with me just listening in and responding when necessary. I was very happy that my friend had a date, of course. It’s just that I was still in shock with what happened earlier when I thought that they were talking about me. I was glad that they weren’t. But as time passed by, I got worried: what if our dinner would be held on the same restaurant?

I heaved a sigh as I walked to the bus stop at the end of the day. My mind wasn’t fully focused on my work as it kept wandering to lunch time. No matter how hard I tried, I kept thinking about the scenario where we would meet the new office couple during dinner. My anxiety about going out with Jung Yonghwa that appeared earlier before lunch – and also days before that – just vanished. So eventually, I gave up on the report I had to finish upcoming Monday and packed up my things instead.

We just had to go out on the same day! Why can’t they have a date tomorrow? I thought, puffing my cheeks in annoyance.

“Hi.”

I turned to my left and saw him standing there with a smile plastered on his face. I gulped and immediately looked away, feeling heat creeping up my neck. Even if we’re finally much closer than before, I still felt nervous. The reason was of course because of that silly dream. I still haven’t told anyone about it and I’m not planning to in near future.

Ever since that day where we first spoke to each other, he seemed to be always right there beside me as I walked to this very same bus stop. It almost felt like he followed me as soon as I exited the office. He couldn’t have finished his work at the same time as I have. He couldn’t have waited for me to finish.

Right?

“Are you ready for tonight?”

I blinked as I realised that he just asked me a question. The heat that was before on my neck was currently moving to my face. The pace of my heartbeat was so abnormal that I felt the urge to go to the hospital for a medical check-up. But I still managed to look at him in the eye and nod my head.

I’ve agreed to have dinner with Jung Yonghwa that night. And it took me three weekends to say yes to him since we both decided to only do so on a weekend. On his first try, I rejected him as I wasn’t ready. On his second, I had to refuse because my parents were in town and we went out to have dinner. And finally on the third one, I said yes. I couldn’t decline because I already promised him in the first place and I’m not one to break promises.

“So is there some kind of dress code for later?” I asked as he still hasn’t told me where we’re going to eat.

“Nope, any clothes will be fine,” he answered still with that smile, offering me to take a seat on the bench that was surprisingly empty considering it’s a Friday. “It’s not a formal and fancy kind of dinner.”

I nodded softly. “Oh, and where do we meet?”

“Why don’t I pick you up at your place?”

“There’s no need to do that. We can even meet on the restaurant itself.”

“No, we can’t. I asked you out so I should go to your place to pick you up. And you have to agree.”

I never knew that was the rule. I thought that guys only pick girls up when they’re already dating – like boyfriend and girlfriend, not like in our case. We’re only going out for dinner as friends. It’s not a date. Nobody has confessed any feelings to anybody.

“Ah, your bus is here,” he said, causing me to look up. “But give me your number first. I don’t know where you live.”

My number given to him, I then got on the vehicle quickly and paid the fee. I walked to the back of the bus and took a seat. As the driver closed the door for no more passengers were getting in, I looked outside where Jung Yonghwa was sitting. He was already looking at me, his smile still visible. He mouthed that he would give me a call later and waved his hand goodbye. I bowed my head a little as the bus started moving. Once he’s out of the view, I took out a novel I’ve been reading for the past few days.

During my journey home, my phone made a sound signalling there was a message from someone. I looked up from the book and took the device out of my bag on my lap. It was from him, asking me where my place is and telling me to get ready by 07:30 PM.

I smiled and replied him the exact location, along with the instructions on how to get there. I told him to give me a call once he’s arrived so he wouldn’t have to wait long. I couldn’t let him wait inside my apartment because I’ve never had guests until this date, except for my parents. None of my friends from work have been there as we usually just have dinner outside and hang out somewhere before going home separately.

And besides, wouldn’t it be weird for one guy and one girl to be under a roof when they’re not even dating?

After I pressed send, I put the phone back inside my bag and continued on my reading. But not even a sentence later, my phone made a sound again. It was his reply, “Okay, I’ll see you soon :)” that caused my smile to make its appearance one more time.

In almost an hour, I finally reached my destination. I quickly walked to my apartment as I had to start getting ready. But as I entered my unit and saw that it was really messy, I remembered that I didn’t have time to tidy up the apartment because I was in a hurry in the morning. I overslept because I was too anxious to sleep. I was worried that everyone at work would find out about the dinner and go to the same restaurant to make fun of us; of me. But at this moment, I was (getting) more concerned that Yoona unnie would have a date on the same restaurant as we would.

I sighed and immediately closed the front door. Taking off my shoes and changing to the house slippers, I put down my bag inside my room and began cleaning from there.

As I was washing the dishes from the night before, I heard my phone going off in the distance. I widened my eyes and quickly turned my face to the clock above my TV to see the time. It was 06:45 PM! There’s less than an hour to get ready.

OH NO!

I hurried up and finished the dishes in record time. I couldn’t care less if it wasn’t clean enough. I could redo it once I got back home. I haven’t taken a shower and even chosen what outfit to wear for the dinner. And I still had a lot of chores to do.

On my way to my room, I picked up my phone from the cabinet in the living room to check who has sent me a message. A shout nearly escaped my mouth when I found out that the sender wasn’t who I thought it was. My heart almost went out of its location because I assumed that I was running late. It turned out to be Hyoyeon unnie asking me if I was free to hang out with her. Taking deep breaths to calm down, I replied immediately that I was sorry and already had plans for the night. The phone was then unfortunately thrown away to the bed before I ran to grab my towel to shower.

Less than five minutes later, I went out of the bathroom and dashed towards my wardrobe to check which outfit to wear. A notification ringtone was suddenly heard from my phone, causing me to look at the time. I had a little over half hour to get ready before he arrived. I winced and took the phone to read the message.

Hi, I’m omw to your place right now.”

Without thinking twice, I replied, “Okay, I’ll be waiting.” Once it was sent, I threw it away and looked at my collection of clothes again. To be honest, I didn’t know what to wear for the dinner. He said any kind would be fine since the restaurant we’re going was nothing fancy. But that’s what made it even harder. What if my outfit was too formal or too casual?

My eyes went through the closet from left to right, and right to left. At the same time, my hand shifted the clothes back and forth. Every time I saw something that I liked, I took it out. And before I knew it, there were more than five sets of clothes on my bed behind me. I gasped in surprise and started choosing from that bunch.

It took me roughly 15 minutes to finalise on my choice: a pair of black jeans, a plain white shirt, and a dark brown jacket left ped.

Then, it was time for my hair. I walked to my vanity table and started to comb to untangle the locks especially the bottom section. I contemplated between letting it down or up for a good five minutes, just looking at myself and trying to imagine which one was better. In the end, I decided to let my hair up in a ponytail since we’re going to eat and I didn’t want my hair as a side dish.

Next was makeup. I didn’t have time to wash my face and put makeup from the beginning. So I just did a simple and light touch-up, reapplying the necessary cosmetics.

All of the sudden, my phone went off, indicating that someone was calling me. I quickly stood up and ran to my bed to take the mobile. I smiled before the answer button was pressed.

Hey, I’m downstairs.

“Okay, I’ll be there in five minutes,” I replied before disconnecting the call. I checked on the mirror once again, my fingers running through my ponytail to make it look presentable. A smile turned up and I was satisfied with how I looked.

I went back to the wardrobe to take out a beige-coloured sling bag. Once found, I closed the door of the closet and took my office bag on the bed to get my purse and other essential things, putting them inside the empty one.

Before going out of the apartment, I checked for my appearance again on the mirror near the front door, letting my butterfly necklace come out of its hiding behind my shirt. I turned around as I put on my flat shoes, trying to remember if I have forgotten something else. Eventually I nodded my head as I thought that I was wasting too much time and got out, not forgetting to lock the door.

Once secured, I walked towards the elevator at the end of the hallway. Before this day, I have never wished that it was nearer. But at this right moment, I wished that elevator was just right in front of my door. Then, he didn’t have to wait too long for me.

Finally in exactly five minutes (yes, I checked my watch while waiting for the elevator to go down), I reached downstairs. Before my presence was announced to him, I stopped on my tracks. I had to calm down and take deep breaths because the anxiety returned. My heart was doing jumping jacks like there’s no tomorrow. I was both scared and nervous.

I was really close to cancelling the dinner when my eyes caught his back, standing there in an almost black outfit except for his long-sleeved white shirt. I looked down to my own outfit and realised that we matched. That small fact put a smile on my face. And for some reason, it brought a sense of calmness within me.

So I decided to just go out and greet him. He’s been waiting too long. “Hi, Yonghwa-ssi.”

He looked up from his shoes and smiled at me. “Hi,” he replied. “Are you ready?”

I nodded.

TO BE CONTINUED

--

A/N: I was going to post this two days ago, but the connection was really bad that day. I'm really sorry about that. Anyway, to be honest, this part was finished almost half a year ago. But I purposely didn't upload it until part II was done (or at least halfway) because I didn't want to have a long gap between parts. Having said that, part II is still in the writing. Anyway (again), I hope you enjoy this and please don't forget to comment ^^ And thank you so much for the upvote and subscribe!! Part II hopefully will be uploaded soon