Fire, For Flight is…

Fire, For Flight is…

 

When Chanyeol was four, his mother told him the very first fairy tale he had ever heard.

Oh, my mom used to read to me the story of Cinderella!”

When he turned six, it was his turn to read a fairy tale which became his ultimate favourite.

            “Beauty and the Beast. Definitely the best!”

When he turned ten, he had his very first crush.

            “Mr. Shim is so cool…”

When he turned fourteen, he started dreaming about his own happy ever after.

            “Whoever he or she may be, we’ll be the best lovers ever!”

When he was nineteen, he experienced his very first romantic relationship.

            “I love you so much Yifan-hyung!”

When he reached twenty-one, who would’ve thought he’d start cursing, hating, and not trusting Cupid. Because really, if Cupid had a heart, he would not shoot his arrow and let him fall for a person he couldn’t have, would he? But he did, so one thing’s for sure: Cupid was one heartless, idiotic devil.

            “Stupid Cupid…”

 

<ʘʴʘ>

 

“Hyung!” From the book he was reading, Chanyeol immediately gazed up to see Sehun and Jongin, both sweating and panting. His eyes furrowed, wondering why the younger males had to run straight to him when he knew they both came from the practice studio, which was three long streets away, FYI.

They must have had to say something important to forget we all have our cell phones with us. He smirked.

“Yes?” asked Chanyeol, adjusting his eyeglasses which slipped a little down to the bridge of his nose. “Is there something important you need to tell? A naughty escape plan, perhaps?” he added.

Well, it wasn’t a secret anymore that their company was pushing them to do lots of activities and concerts that sometimes they were planning to do a boycott and get at least a day of secret getaway. Their managers would support them, too, for he knew that they were as exhausted as them from arranging their busy schedules and handling sasaeng-fans cases.

Chanyeol saw Jongin bit his lower lip, which was a very unusual sight for him to see because Jongin’s a straightforward person and was never hesitant. If he had something to say, whether it was good or bad, he would say it directly without considering anyone’s feelings. Not that he was saying that he’s heartless – it was just very unlikely for Jongin to act like that. You get what I mean.

The two maknaes exchanged glances before Sehun firmly nodded and asked, “You’re going to attend Busan International Film Festival next week, right?”

Chanyeol curiously nodded, urging the younger to continue. After a few deep breaths and Jongin’s encouraging gesture, Sehun finally revealed, “Yifan-hyung’s going to be there.”

 

 

<ʘʴʘ>

 

 

“Yifan-hyung’s going to be there.”

“Yifan -hyung’s going to be there.”

“Yifan -hyung’s going to be there.”

 

Yifan … Just saying the name in his mind would make him feel empty. That name, which he had been avoiding to hear for a very long time since that name owner’s departure from his life, seemed like a bomb thrown at his direction, hitting him directly; bringing injuries to his fragile heart that would eventually be the cause of his death.

How he wished he had the power to detonate that bomb even before it hit him...

Thoughts like “Will he talk to me when we meet?” occupied his mind. But that’s not the question why he was really bothered, though. It was the obvious “Will I be able to stop myself from hugging him once I see him?” question that topped the pile of worries he had in mind. It was obvious he hadn’t moved on yet.

Yet? How dare he use that word when he didn’t even have the plan to move on in the first place!

Chanyeol had mixed feelings about the news. One part of him said it would be better if they didn’t cross paths. While the other side nagged him about how much he wanted to see the other, ask him how he had been, what’s he been doing...

Well, meeting him was inevitable, anyway. They would surely meet sooner or later, like how they met at one point of their lives...

It was raining so hard but newly recruited trainee (for three months, to be exact) Chanyeol forgot to bring his umbrella. He shivered when he felt the coldness of the rain. He rubbed his arms which were covered with the sleeves of his sweatshirt, which, in fact, wasn’t soaked in sweat; but was soaked due to the splashes of rain he received because why on earth was he even standing at the entrance of SM Entertainment when he did not even have an umbrella? He must be wishing for himself to get sick.

Just as he was back inside of the establishment again, a deep voice which wasn’t as deep as his said, “If you’re going to leave, then go,” making Chanyeol turn around and saw a very familiar face. “But if you’re in a hurry and you forgot your umbrella, I can lend you mine.”

Chanyeol found it cute that while the other was speaking, the other’s face turned bright pink, like he was shy or embarrassed. The other extended his arm and offered him his black umbrella in which he hesitantly accepted.

I was on the verge of labelling him as ‘arrogant’ when we first met. Good thing mood swings exist, he naughtily thought.

“Thanks, Yifan hyung. I’m about to meet with my parents, so...” He tried to catch the other’s eyes and when he did, he gave him a toothy smile. His dimple showed. “Are you sick? Your face is kind of… pinkish. Are you sure you will lend me your umbrella? We can use it together, you know.”

This time, the pinkness of Yifan’s face grew stronger like he ate a very spicy food. Yifan covered his face with his hand, palm facing his face. “Jeez, it’s okay. I’m just a few blocks away. It’s just too cold because of the rain. Don’t mind me.”

But Chanyeol was not convinced. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” Yifan’s eyes looked everywhere but Chanyeol. “But if you insist, let’s share the umbrella then…” he almost whispered as if he did not want Chanyeol to hear it. But the younger did, so Chanyeol smiled and held Yifan in the wrist, a silent confirmation telling the other that he wanted to and that he was glad.

This guy is really hard to read, he thought.

And that incident became the start of a very good friendship.

 

“Huh!” Chanyeol groaned as he woke up. He massaged his forehead and looked at the time: 6:05PM.

He hadn’t realized he fell asleep while thinking of the man who visited in his dream, a piece of the past when Chanyeol felt different; in a weird but good way.

His eyes wandered around the living room and still saw no signs that the others were there already. It’s weird how the other EXO members did not even bother to call him to ask if he’s okay.

Maybe they’re busy.

Oh.

He forgot to tell.

He just came back approximately 11 hours ago from filming Laws of the Jungle in Caramoan Islands.  His management was kind enough to excuse him from daily practice and told him to rest.

He heard his stomach growl and that’s when he realized he hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast.

Screw Jongin and Sehun for their untimely and unwanted news. Tsch. It’s not their fault and you know that Chanyeol.

He stood up and slowly skidded to the dining hall. His eyes found food wrapped around in a plastic container and a note beside it. He touched the container and learned it was still warm. He took the note and read,

Eat the food I prepared~~ The boys and I will spend our free time at a *noraebang. ‘Sorry we didn’t wake you up TT You sleep so well like a baby I didn’t have the heart to disturb you! – Kyung eomma

*karaoke

Chanyeol smiled. If there’s one thing he was thankful for for the past one year, it was the extra love he received from s. Ever since that happened, he thought his co-members started to think he’s a fragile glass; hence, their extra effort to make him feel more loved than before. Especially Kyungsoo who he grew closer with than before. He even self-appointed himself as Chanyeol’s mom even though he’s a year older than him.

But don’t get the wrong idea.

He wasn’t complaining; but if he’s going to be honest with himself, he’s not happy with it. Having people to think you’re as fragile as a glass and with just one snap and you’d break did not feel good at all. Maybe at first it was the situation, when Yifan left him and he was shattered.

But he had already coped; at least, that’s what he’s thinking.

 

<ʘʴʘ>

 

October XX, 2015

The day of 2015 Busan International Film Festival

 

“Hyung! Are you not dressed yet?”

It was approximately the eighteenth time Tao asked him that question. He seemed more excited than him. And truth be told, he would rather have the younger to represent him in the prestigious yearly film festival rather than attend it himself.

He knew he was acting like a coward, and he also knew that being like one wouldn’t help.

“Taozi, don’t worry, I won’t be late,” he answered, a little louder so the younger could hear him through the door.

Once finished, Chanyeol gave a one last look at the mirror before he sighed and told himself through his reflection, “Whatever happens, I won’t be easily swayed.”

Only to find out that he would not only be swayed.

 

<ʘʴʘ>

 

“Chanyeol! Looking good today, huh?”

“Oh. My. Gosh. Chanyeol! You look so adorable!”

“Hello, Chanyeol. I hope my son will grow as handsome as you are.”

“Kyaa~~! Chanyeol oppa, look at me, please!”

Those repetitive and heart-flattering remarks from celebrities and fans were what greeted Chanyeol once he stepped his feet at the venue for the film festival. Flashes of camera from the fans and the press started blinding him. Sadly enough, he came alone by himself for his manager had something else to do and would just pick him up after the event. He sighed and looked for his designated seat through the rows of chairs. Once he saw it, he immediately sat and chatted with the senior celebrities beside him.

A few minutes passed and the venue was shortly filled with Korean and foreign artists. Chanyeol knew some of them, even becoming a fan boy by capturing images through his phone.

Aw, is that Jackie Chan? And snapped a photo of the said man.

Smiling contentedly, he continued to fill his vision with every extravagant people he saw. Silently remarking in his head about how revealing the female’s dresses were, how neat the guys styled their hair, how noisy the middle-aged celebrities talk and boast with each other…

But one particular figure of a man caught his eye.

Standing in front of the entrance was a man whose back was facing him. The man was a total standout because of his tall and slim figure, his broad shoulders, his hair… everything about the man screamed ‘familiar’. But when he blinked his eyes, the man was already gone.

Could it be him? But he immediately tried to erase that thought. Maybe he was just imagining things.

His thoughts were interrupted when the emcee spoke, reminding everyone that the program will start in any minute. Buzzing whispers and chit-chats filled Chanyeol’s ears. He decided to check on his phone and sent a text message to Joonmyun.

To: Joonmyun-hyung

I saw Jackie Chan here and other famous celebrities. How I wish you’re here with me so we can take photos with them together T-T

And a minute after, his phone beeped.

From: Joonmyun-hyung

If only the vocal coach allowed me to go 😠

Chanyeol laughed with the emoticon he used. But as he laughed silently, he felt uncomfortable upon realizing something. He bit his lip and typed as fast as he could.

To: Joonmyun-hyung

My face is going to be shown on the big screen soon. THE LEGENDS are going to see me act! Oh my God! I need to find the rest room!

Chanyeol immediately stood up and bowed with every sunbae he saw while looking for the rest room. It was located at the very back of the venue and there was even no single queue so he can freely make his ‘business’. It was never a secret to every EXO member that when Chanyeol was nervous, his tummy tends to ache and a need to release ‘something’ would take over. Chanyeol knew that it was his body’s way of handling anxiousness, so he wasn’t ashamed of that. Every person has his/her own way of dealing with it, right? Some had their hands turn icy cold, some look pale, some lose consciousness, or some even vomit. And the latter was the worst, because it’s so uncontrollable and shameful when done in public.

Uh, well… enough of that dirty little secret of his.

Once done, Chanyeol tried to calm himself by chanting ‘You’ve acted great, Yeol. You did a good job.’ and went outside of the stall. But what greeted him when his eyes turned at the huge mirror in front of him was someone he did not expect to see there.

Standing a meter away from him was him, whose eyes were locked on his through their reflection at the mirror.

He unconsciously bit his lip and murmured, “Yifan… h-hyung?”

There was no doubt that a surge of joy rushed through Chanyeol’s entire being. He could feel his every pulse palpitate just by looking at the tall Chinese man. Yifan shifted his gaze from the mirror and was now directly looking straight at Chanyeol’s wide eyes.

“Chanyeol...” There was a tinge of sadness and longing in Yifan’s voice.

For a moment which seemed to be so long, they were just looking at each other, unable to take their eyes off one another. Both couldn’t believe that the one was finally facing the other.

And while Chanyeol’s heart started to pound furiously, Yifan seemed to have collected his self back.

“I’m so glad to see you again, Chanyeol,” Yifan said with a smile and to Chanyeol’s utmost surprise, Yifan hugged him tight and he was frozen in his place. Yifan’s familiar scent invaded Chanyeol’s nose and he fought the urge to close his eyes and sniff him like he usually did.

After more than a year of not seeing him, Chanyeol concluded that Yifan had become more handsome. Like an aged wine, the more it gets older, the more it tastes better. And the added year just made Yifan look much, much better.

More than a year ago, Yifan was just their lanky leader. Now, even with his three-piece suit on, he could feel how muscular he had become. Had he been to the gym lately? Chanyeol knew how this hyung hated the gym and its equipments. He wondered what made him do it.

A knock on the door interrupted Chanyeol’s thoughts and immediately pushed Yifan with such force that Yifan had to balance himself or his face would literally meet the floor. Once adjusted, Yifan apologetically smiled upon receiving Chanyeol’s glare. And he made sure it’s a deadly one.

“Yifan, are you still there? We’re about to be called in a few,” they heard someone said through the door.

“I’ll be there in a bit.” Yifan replied and then they heard footsteps finally walking away.

“Chanyeol, we need to—”

Chanyeol dismissively waved his hand and tersely said, “Go away, hyung. That’s where you’re good at, anyway.”

Chanyeol didn’t know where he took the courage to say those words. He saw Yifan’s face turned pale and different emotions started to run through his eyes but what Chanyeol could clearly give a name to was regret, hurt, longing, and… love?

No. If he loved me, he wouldn’t leave me. If he loved me, he wouldn’t hurt me.

Yifan’s face turned blank before he turned his back and seriously said, “I’ll make sure that we’ll be able to talk privately, whether you like it or not. I wouldn’t even care if I have to resort in kidnapping you if that’ll be the only way for me to be able to talk to you, my Fire,” and he turned the knob, leaving Chanyeol taken aback.

Was he threatening him?

And did he just call him Fire? He shouldn’t call him that anymore, like Chanyeol wouldn’t call him Flight again. He unconsciously clenched his hands upon remembering something.

“Since our powers for the MV are Fire and Flight, we should just call each other like that, okay, hyung? I think it’s cool! It’s like a codename! Because ‘yeobo’ is too mainstream. And Dragon and Phoenix, too. Hehehe.”

Chanyeol was about to leave as well when a black thing lying on the floor caught his eye. He trudged through it and picked it up only to realize it was a wallet. He opened it and to his dismay, it was Yifan’s. How did he know? Not through the pile of credit cards and debit cards, but through a photo which brought unnecessary feelings in his heart.

He felt confused, relieved, and anxious. Because captured on the photo was a picture of Yifan and him hugging while smiling at the camera. He remembered it taken the day after their first anniversary, when Yifan surprised him with a soulful song dedicated just to him, and they danced in the middle of the night, making the moon, the stars, and the sky their only witnesses when Yifan promised him that they’d share the same surname someday.

A tear dropped from his eyes, whether if it’s because of happiness or sadness or both, he couldn’t decipher.

Oh, Yifan, I really don’t know what to think...

 

<ʘʴʘ>

 

After Chanyeol and Yifan shared an umbrella, Chanyeol declared himself as Yifan’s best friend, much to the dismay of the tall Chinese man. (“It’s Chinese-Canadian, you twerp,” Yifan would correct him. “Well, whatever.”) Whenever they meet each other during practices, Chanyeol’s megaphone voice would fill Yifan’s ears and he had no choice but to cover the younger’s mouth with his hand.

One time when Chanyeol was talking very loud, on the day that Yifan was called by the CEO and revealed that he was about to debut as a leader of a still unnamed group together with Chanyeol, he immediately hugged the younger who was very much surprised upon the skinship the other did. And what surprised Chanyeol more, even surprising Yifan himself, was when the elder’s lips landed on Chanyeol’s.

“I… ah, uhm…” Yifan couldn’t find the right words to say after their lips parted.

Looking at Chanyeol’s face seemed to be a wrong move for Yifan since he started giggling, which turned into a fit of laughter. Chanyeol’s face was so red and his eyes were about to pop out of its sockets and his mouth was also wide open. Realizing he was being laughed at, Chanyeol punched Yifan on the chest which made the Chinese-Canadian man cough.

“H-hey! T-that hurts!” he complained.

“Why did you… why did you do that?” O_O

“Did what?” Yifan played innocent. He’s enjoying to see the redness of Chanyeol’s face. If only he could photograph that moment…

“Yah! Why did you kiss me?” Realizing they were in the hallway and a lot of people’s eyes were on them, Chanyeol covered his face with his hands and Yifan immediately pulled the younger for a hug, smiling, to cover him.

“I like you. And I also think that I love you as well, Park Chanyeol.” Yifan seriously whispered on the younger’s ear. Yifan felt the younger stiffen.

“I love you, too, hyung…” Yifan heard him murmur in his chest.

“Come again?” Of course, he was just kidding. His ears clearly heard what he said. And he was very happy to hear it.

“I-I said I love you too, hyung…” Chanyeol whispered again.

“I can’t understand—”

“IDIOT HYUNG I SAID I LOVE YOU TOO!”

Realizing he shouted again and curious gazes were on him, Chanyeol blushed profusely and broke the skinship between them and ran away. Yifan laughed, though there were butterflies raging in his stomach, and chased after Chanyeol who smacked him on the head after he caught him near a public fountain.

They ended up wet and caught a cold the next day, but what’s good about it was when they slept cuddling each other and branded each one as “mine”…

Yifan’s memory replay ended when the teen film from Hong Kong ended. The film somehow triggered Yifan into thinking about the past, but what triggered it more was the person seating a few meters away from him, looking at everything but at him.

“Go away, hyung. That’s where you’re good at, anyway.”

Chanyeol’s words pierced his heart. He wanted to explain right away, but he knew it wasn’t the right time. He wanted to give him not just a hug, but he didn’t know how the other would respond to it. In the end, he just left before his emotions eat his heart out and before he could do something which might provoke Chanyeol to hate him even more.

Oh, my Fire, I’ll really make sure I’ll make things right for us.

 

<ʘʴʘ>

 

“Chanyeol, I have something to tell you,” Yifan told him after they ate their lunch at the rooftop. Chanyeol put his cutleries down and looked at his boyfriend, urging him to go on. Yifan’s face was stoic and Chanyeol couldn’t read him. But the seriousness in the other’s eyes told him that what he would tell would change a big part of his life. Or maybe, his whole life itself.

“Let’s end this.”

Chanyeol saw the other look up at the sky, probably avoiding for his tears to fall. But Chanyeol’s mind couldn’t process what he saw, because all he knew was he was hurting. And he felt numb. “Let’s break up.”

Chanyeol didn’t know why, but his head automatically nodded and his face was void of any emotion. Not a single tear dropped from his eyes. Probably if he wasn’t him, he would laugh at how it was Yifan who was crying for them when clearly, it was Yifan himself who was breaking up with him.

“T-that’s it? You wouldn’t ask me w-why?”                     

Chanyeol courageously met his hyung’s amused eyes. “You’ve already made up your mind, right? And you wouldn't joke something like this. Even if I beg you not to, you’ll still break up with me. The least you can do is go away and do not explain anything to me,” He bitterly smiled. “It’s better if I do not know the reason. I might do stupid things like asking you to hold on and that there’s a way to solve whatever your problem is without us breaking up...” His voice trailed. He gulped the large lump in his throat, stood up, and turned away. His knees were shaking and it took him a lot of effort not to stifle a cry. At least, not in front of his ex.

Ex. A cloud of tears started forming in his eyes.

“I just want you to know that I love you... and I am doing this for the two of us.” was all he heard before he finally forced his legs to run away.

As he continued to run in the busy streets of Seoul, Yifan’s words started replaying in his mind... “I just want you to know that I love you... and I am doing this for the two of us.”

Chanyeol stopped and concluded he was in front of the fountain they both played with the day they became lovers.

It was ironic at how Chanyeol realized that there existed an “I love you” that could bring him pain. He had always thought that those three words always bring happiness, because how can giving your love to someone bring sadness? Wasn’t it already given that when someone said “I love you” to you, you’d feel happy? How come he felt the opposite?

Idiot. Yours is a different case.

His tears started streaming down his face, not caring if the people recognized him that he’s Chanyeol, EXO member and Kris’ rap partner. His bull cap and bangs should be enough to cover for him, he thought.

He found himself trudging through the park. He didn’t want to go back to their dorm, at least, not yet.

 When he found a good spot to rest on, he closed his eyes and let the noise of the children and the chirping of the birds take away his loneliness...

 

It was finally dark when Chanyeol woke up. He realized he fell asleep, and his eyes were swollen and hurting from too much crying.

He remembered the reason and his eyes started to moisten. His chest was clenching he decided he needed to breathe. He lazily stood up and slowly walked, breathing in some fresh air. He filled his lungs with oxygen. He could even taste the salty wind mixed with the scent of buttered corns the street vendor nearby was selling.

“You know, falling in love means giving the other person an unspoken permission to hurt you. And when he did, you should not bother to complain that it hurts. Who allowed that person, anyway?”

Chanyeol flinched and turned around to see his co-member, Kyungsoo. He had an understanding sad smile as he opened his arms for a hug which Chanyeol gladly accepted. “Kyungsoo... it hurts,” he muttered in between sobbing and crying.

“I know, hyung. I know. Maybe he has a good reason why he did that.”

Kyungsoo comforted Chanyeol in every way he can that whole night. Speaking of Yifan, he heard from the other members that he didn’t go back to the dorm and then the next day, news about Yifan filing a lawsuit came out.

His world turned upside down...

“Chanyeol? Are you okay?” the voice of their film director woke Chanyeol up from his memory replay. He blinked his eyes and realized his thoughts travelled back to the time when Yifan left him.

Yifan! He fidgeted.

Even though he was far, his heart beat had not come back to its normal beating. It seemed as if his heart was fully aware that Yifan was just there, just a few meters away from his reach.

With that thought, he started to panic. He thought he must leave silently before the Chinese man makes his threat of kidnapping him true. He knew he’s not yet ready, and he thought that he’d never be. Yifan leaving him, their encounter at the restroom, the love and longing in his eyes, the picture in the wallet... How can Yifan explain all that without Chanyeol getting mad?

Chanyeol composed himself and answered, “Director-nim, I’m sorry I don’t feel well. Uhm, since the program is about to end, c-can I leave first?”

From his peripheral vision, he saw Yifan talking very close with... is that Wang Li Kun? Yifan’s partner in his film? Their lips were almost a few centimetres apart. And the way she looked at Yifan told Chanyeol that she felt something for him.

His heart stung.

He shifted his gaze back at the director who was confused as to why Chanyeol’s eyes suddenly got misty. Dumbfounded and probably thinking the boy was really feeling sick, he just nodded and tapped Chanyeol’s shoulder. “Rest well, kid.”

Chanyeol smiled a relieved smile and looked at Yifan’s direction. Thinking he’s safe for exit, he stood up and quietly bowed to his co-stars before bidding goodbye.

He’s too busy flirting with Wang Li Kun to even notice I left. I’m safe. I’m relieved.

But his mind was far from being relieved. He felt multiple stabs of knives in his heart and it’s making it hard to breathe. He clutched onto his chest and when he reached the parking, a pair of strong hands pulled him and dragged him inside a nearby car. Chanyeol was too dumbfounded to react even when the stranger fixed the seatbelt for him.

But he wasn’t just a stranger, because even just by his scent, he could easily distinguish him from everyone.

“’Can’t hardly wait to sneak away from me, huh,” Yifan started the engine. “Good thing I’ve seen you running away.” Kris looked at Chanyeol who tried his best to look like he wasn’t affected. He averted his gaze and closed his eyes after reclining his seat. He was already abducted, and he knew he couldn’t escape, so might as well just save his energy for the upcoming battle.

“Is... is even looking at me that hard for you to do...” He heard Yifan whisper to himself. “All right. I’ll let you sleep. Sleep well, Fire.”

And Chanyeol surprisingly did.

 

<ʘʴʘ>

 

The delicious smell of the food brought Chanyeol back from his sweet dream. In his dream, the EXO members and he were hanging out at their dorm because it was his birthday. Balloons, uncontrollable noises, and foods filled their place. They even sang him the happy birthday song and it ended with him crying. He was touched. But what made him cry even harder was when the door opened, revealing the person he had been missing the most. The newcomer greeted him and said, “I’m back, my Fire. And I’ll never leave you again. Will you marry me?” His jaw dropped as Yifan slid a ring in his finger and...

“I’m glad you’re awake. Here, eat this.” The man from his dream walked towards him and offered a tray of food. Chanyeol fidgeted and secretly pinched his arm. Was he still dreaming? But it hurt, so...

His question was answered when he saw his clothes and remembered what had happened earlier.

He attended the film festival, had a confrontation with Yifan at the restroom, Yifan threatened to kidnap him so he secretly left the venue, and... right. He was kidnapped.

“Did you carry me up until here?” As soon as Yifan nodded, he pleaded, “Please, take me home...”

Yifan sighed and combed his hair with his hands in frustration and sat down beside him. He took one of Chanyeol’s hands and held it tight. With the gentlest voice possible, he said, “But you can’t avoid me forever, Chanyeol...”

And Chanyeol realized he was right. They shouldn’t prolong the closure Yifan must be longing to have. For their own peace of mind, Chanyeol convinced himself that he’s finally ready to hear him out.

“It was you who left,” he condemned. “You left me when you’ve always told me you’ll stay by my side f-forever.” His voice cracked and he felt a large lump in his throat.

Chanyeol had too many words to say, too many words to speak. But those were the only words that came out from his mouth. Accusation and bitterness were present in his voice, but he did not care. Because all he cared about was to let Yifan know how hurt he was, and how he suffered from their unexpected break-up.

“You left me to make your dreams of being an actor come true. Tell me, was being with me and the other EXO members the reason which prevented you to become one? Was I... Were we just a nuisance to you?”

Yifan bravely met his accusing eyes. He cupped Chanyeol’s face with his hands and looked straight into his eyes. Chanyeol saw determination and guilt written all over his handsome face. And right there, right then, his anger for the other seemed to slowly vanish. Just looking at his face could melt any negative feelings he felt towards the other. But the hurting side of his mind told him it wasn’t fair, so he kept still the angry facade he had. Although he knew that by any moment, his heart would surely give in, because he realized that Yifan was still his weakness. And when you already branded someone as your weakness, you have no choice but to bear its consequences.

“I never regretted my decision, Chanyeol. But what I regret the most is the fact that I had to leave you and hurt you in the process. I was hurt, too, Chanyeol. More than you can ever imagine.”

There was no doubt that he was really hurting. The invisible walls that Chanyeol created between them seemed to crumble down. He’s already seeing it; he’s now slowly surrendering to this man. The tight feeling in his chest seemed to fade away slowly.

“Then why did you... why did you leave me... us?”

Instead of answering him, Yifan leaned down and aimed for his lips. He gladly accepted the kiss, for it made his heart go topsy-turvy like there was a riot going on inside it. A feeling that was too crazy to bear, yet at the same time, he found himself liking the blithe feeling. The feeling that only Yifan can give.

The kiss ended when they both felt the need to breathe. Chanyeol calmed himself, especially his heart that felt like racing. He bit his lips and felt the tingling sensation in his stomach. The feeling of Yifan’s lips lingered in Chanyeol’s and he felt his cheeks burn. He still had the same effect on him.

“Are you now ready to hear my reason?” he heard Yifan said after a moment of silence. Chanyeol silently nodded, eyes locked with Yifan’s.

Yifan released a deep breath before he started, “Dispatch has learned about our relationship, Chanyeol.”

‘Shocked’ was an understatement of how Chanyeol felt. “W-what! I didn’t know...“

Yifan sadly smiled at him. “One of their representatives talked to me in private. And since it is such a huge and influential media company, I had to choose whether to let them break the news out or make a bigger scandal instead. I chose the latter, because you’re more important to me than my music career. I don’t want to drag you in a scandal which will not only take your career away, but will also leave deep, hurting marks in you. I also chose to leave because I want to fight for our rights as an idol group from SM. If I had to leave, then might as well leave with purpose.”

Chanyeol took in some time to absorb Yifan’s revelation, and Yifan seemed to be giving him some time as well, thinking he needed time to analyze and understand whatever he said. It was such a huge revelation, anyway. He’s praying that Chanyeol would believe him and so they could start anew. He had already explained his side. But even if Chanyeol wouldn’t believe him right away, he’s willing to wait.

He had already done the biggest decision in his life, and now he’s back to make everything alright. Even if it takes forever, as long as it concerned the person he was with right then, it didn’t matter. Because for the sake of Chanyeol, he’s ready to do anything.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol was still in the middle of his thoughts. He was unconsciously biting his fingernails which was a habit of his since he was a kid when he’s focused on thinking.

Dispatch knew about us, they blackmailed Yifan hyung, he chose to leave and file a lawsuit to create another scandal to forget the thing about us, but...

“We could’ve faced it together, hyung! You could have not left!” he suddenly exclaimed.

“I know, but I don’t want you to sacrifice your dream. Being an idol is your ultimate dream, right? I don’t want it taken away from you. You’ve worked hard for it.”

Chanyeol’s tears fell even before he could suppress a smile. A sudden realization hit him: “You love me so much that you sacrificed yourself for me.”

It wasn’t a question, but a statement in which Yifan instantly agreed upon. He leaned closer to Chanyeol and wiped his tears with his fingers, kissing the edges of his eyes. “You just don’t know how much,” he whispered in his ear.

Chanyeol closed his eyes and kissed Yifan’s lips hungrily. He felt like he was trapped in a desert and Yifan was his water, his only chance of survival. Yifan kissed him the same, with the same passion and love that they thought could make up for the time they were separated. How did they survive the months they were away from each other?

Once apart, Chanyeol chuckled and attacked Yifan with a hug. The older laughed and hugged him tighter, as if afraid that the younger would suddenly disappear.

Chanyeol was sniffing the other when he remembered something. “Dispatch just disposed the issue about us? It’s still shocking news, anyway. I don’t believe they just easily let it go.” He doubted, but he knew Yifan wouldn’t lie to him. He just wanted to know.

Yifan shrugged his shoulders and smirked as if he remembered something funny. Chanyeol’s brow furrowed, so Yifan explained, “They could lose their company once I filed a lawsuit about wiretapping and invasion of privacy, you know,” Yifan coolly answered.

“What?! They wiretapped us?!”                     

“Not only us, but the other celebrities as well. They’re like, the first-class version of sasaeng fans.”

“So, sasaeng fans must have originated from them,” Chanyeol concluded.

“Everyone has an addiction, Chanyeol. The sasaeng fans just happen to be addicted to celebrities. And mine happens to be you,” Yifan winked. “So, uhm, will you marry me?

Chanyeol literally froze in his place. “D-did you just...”

Yifan chuckled. “Yes, and I’m sorry if I haven’t brought a ring. I just don’t want to end the day without an assurance that I am still the one you love.”

“Silly. It has always been you. Just you. Because you are my prince charming, right?”

“Indeed I am,” Yifan answered with a proud smile. “Fire, for Flight, is the true meaning of life. I live each day because of you.”

Chanyeol’s eyes moisten. Yifan, too, was getting teary eyed.

“Oh, Yifan hyung, I’ll definitely marry you!” Stupid Cupid isn’t stupid anymore!

He was about to tackle Yifan with a hug when he remembered something which made him glare at the other. Yifan gave an amused look. What?

“A while ago, I saw you with Wang Li Kun and you seem very, very close.”

Yifan chortled. “I already left you my wallet with our picture and you still think I’m dating her?”

Buffering.

1

2                                                

3

4

5

6...

“YIFAN! YOU PLANNED EVERYTHING, DIDN’T YOU?!?”

“’Took you six seconds to realize, sweetheart.”

 

 

END                                       

                                                                                                                                        

 

KRISYEOL’S DICTIONARY:

Dispatch is a news media outlet in South Korea specializing in gossip news. (lmao J)

Sasaeng fans are the Korean stalkers of celebrities and idols that are very annoying.

Maknae is the term used for “youngest” in the group/family

Yeobo – an endearment, “sweetheart”

Sunbae – “senior”

                                                                                                                                                                    MV – Music Video

Author - the person you’ll kill once you finished reading this fic. Lololol.


 

 

MASTERLIST