1/2

How To Cheer Your Twin Who You May Or May Not Have A Crush On...

Author's Note:

Annyeong~ First of all, please bury any expection seven feet below ground. I don't think this is my best one-shot (as if I have many one-shot writen psh..). I won't wallow in self-pity here. Second, I've split this into 2 part as you may have realize from the two chapters. The total word of both combined is, 5k something. 

Lastly, get rid of any expectation! I did poorly...


It is a hectic day. It’s really hot and stuck inside a small hall only serve as to make it all the worse with the walls of the hall absorbing the heat and thus intensifying the temperature inside the hall. It’s somewhat similar to a microwave really. And the fact that there’s not the slightest hint of a breeze makes the experience far more enjoyable uncomfortable. That being said, is only true should you be aware of it.

That, which in this particular case, is very unlikely for the numerous teenagers inside the hall that is fighting for their future. They’re so concentrated on scribbling things that, to a stranger’s eyes, those pitiful excuses for handwritten sentences would classify as nothing more than nonsense due to the fact that it doesn’t quite look like a normal sentence formed from the alphabet on that tiny, milky white paper.

The famous, and over-rated line of ‘if gaze could kill’ couldn’t suit the fire in the teenagers’ eyes better as they scrutinize, and try to look at the paper from different view in hope of the answers will present itself to them. This, of course did not happen. Not just because it makes a good writing material, but also because it’s just how life of a student is.

All of the teenagers are student of SS High, or to be more precise about them, they are all seniors of the said educational institute and they are all sitting for the most nerve-wrecking examination that they have encounter in their entire life, meaning the 17 years of their existence, the SAT exam.

The students’ wrists never stay idle for more than a second before inching sideways, leaving a trail of chicken scratches words and sentences. In a totally not-sadistic-way not, it is a rather beautiful sight really. Truth to be told, nothing beats seeing students fighting for their life as they continue writing and writing and write some more, ignoring their wrist screaming at them to just stop…

Quite a spectacle yes?...

It only gets better when the person in charge announce that they only get one minute to go. Oh yes, it’s the second best part of this torture time to test the students of what they have learn all these years with the best part being at the start of the test. The scent of despair which filled the hall as the students open their paper only to see monstrosity of a question waiting for them with a cocky smirk as if saying, ‘you got nothing over me peasant’ is simply sublime, a gift from heaven really.

Such a beautiful sight it is. Divine even.

Alas, time sure is an envious being isn’t he? He just can’t allow us to enjoy, to sip in the glory that is the students making a last minute, desperate attempt to finish the test and bask in their suffering. Wait what?...

Oh well, haters’ going to hate right?

It would seems that amidst the struggling students, a few students is actually rather relax and seemingly content with themselves and their answers as the moment the person in charge announce that time is up, they put in the last dot with a huge smile on their face. These few individual must have armed themselves well for they seems to have no problem coming face to face and toe to toe with the behemoth that is the Chesmistry paper.

This ladies and gentleman, is why we can’t have good things in life. There will always be someone to spoil the fun…

Regardless, one of the said composed individual is a boy named Kwangmin whose feeling satisfied and quite pleased with himself and his answers. He purposely take his time as he gathers all of his stationary before placing them inside his,- (for the lack of ingenuity on the author’s part)- Pikachu pencil case with a small grin that most of his classmate never saw on him never leaving his lips.

He’s feeling extra giddy for multiple reasons with the first and foremost being that he reckons he did fairly well in the exam. While he refuse to check his answers, he'd say he have a fair chance of scoring a minimal 'B'on his Chesmitry. The second, but is as important as the first reason, is that his own ball of fluffy cute-nest overload and there is no word that can do justice on how much he adore his beloved twin, Youngmin, who, now that he’s thinking about it, should already be there by now but is not?

‘Wait the? Where is he?’ Kwangmin can’t help the frown that’s making its way up his face. ‘He always come and waits for me before going home. Which begs the question’ he scans his surrounding for a certain brunette more thoroughly this time. ‘Where in the world is Youngminie?’ wonder Kwangmin as he stands up, pushing the chair back in before moving out of course.

As he walk out of the hall, Kwangmin continue to snap his head left and right in hope of catching sight of the whereabouts of his older by six minute brother. Much to his dismay however, no such thing. He did however, spot some of his twin’s classmate and among them is Youngmin and Kwangmin’s best friend, Minwoo.

The said boy was just peacefully minding his own business as he walk and cheerfully converse with his classmate, probably discussing about paper they have tomorrow. Well, that is until Kwangmin calls for him.

“Minwoo!” hearing someone calling for him, Minwoo stop moving entirely as he turns around for the person calling for him in mild confusion. Not that he have no idea who call for him. After all, he have known the said person, and that person’s older brother ever since they were naught but a baby. Hence, he can recognize that husky voice anywhere anytime.

“Hey Kwangmin” chirp Minwoo somewhat cheerfully after Kwangmin reached to him, albeit the boy is slightly breathless from making a mad 200 meter dash.

“Did you see Youngminie by any chance?” question Kwangmin after he catches his breath.

“How mean” pout Minwoo as he cross his arms across his chest. “No ‘how was your day my best-est of friend in the whole universe’ or something in those line” Minwoo continue to sulk as he purposely rant. “Just straight to your beloved Youngminie hyung”

From an outsider’s point of view, they might saw a sulking pretty boy and another pretty boy who most probably made a mistake to elicit that adorable pout from the sulking boy. But, the two of the said boy have known each other for quite some time, and Kwangmin knows better that Minwoo is anything but sulking.

“Oh spare me the drama will you?” Kwangmin can’t help but to roll his eyes at Minwoo’s word. “Not to mention that ‘best-est’ is not even a word!’’

“You’re so cruel Kwangminie” coo Minwoo, completely ignoring what Kwangmin just said. “I’m hurt” the brat didn’t forget to place his hand on his chest for the dramatic effect.

“Your heart is on the other side dummy” groan Kwangmin with a sigh.

“You’re no fun Kwangmin” Minwoo pout and bat his eye lashes rapidly. “Anyway, I honestly don’t know where your precious Youngminie disappears to” admit the boy. “The last time I saw him was right after we finish our accounting paper and after that, he just went poof, disappearing from the radar”

‘How could I forget that he’s taking principal accounting today…’ Kwangmin face-palm himself so hard that he’s sure that there’ll be a bruise. ‘No, for real though. Youngmin keeps on pacing around the room, sighing, groaning and all the other things that only he can do and make it look cute and adorable… But that’s beside the point here. The real issue here is Youngmin and Youngmin and the test’

Kwangmin is beginning to understand how and why Youngmin didn’t meet him before. He has a rough idea as to why Youngmin simply disappear, and while he’s crossing his fingers hoping he’s wrong, he can only confirm his suspicion by asking Minwoo.

“Hey Minwoo, how was your paper?”

Minwoo let out a groan which sound strangely akin to a kicked puppy and no, don’t ask Kwangmin why and how he knows how a kicked puppy sounds like. Some things are better left unsaid…

“Argh… I don’t even” Minwoo’s expression is more than enough to explain how the paper was. The said boy’s expression scream, ‘fudge this …’

“Like seriously, who flipping care about revenue, owner’s equity in a sole proprietorship, stockholder’s equity in a corporation with two classes of stock and-” groans Minwoo.

Hearing Minwoo’s seemingly never-ending rants and complains, Kwangmin can’t help but to let out a small noise that is a mixture of a frustrated sigh and a helpless groan. It’s quite a well-known fact that Youngmin is quite, if not, super sensitive and above everybody else, Kwangmin knows best of how, for the lack of a better word, fragile his older by six minute brother is.

Kwangmin can’t even remember how many time the older had break down and cry on his shoulder. Sometimes the before mentioned scene will happen because Youngmin can’t do his principle of accounting exercises while most of the times Youngmin  cry himself to sleep because of some, by Kwangmin’s opinion, stupid idiot who have no right or whatsoever to talk, much less bad-mouth about his baby brother.

Each time that happen, Kwangmin will faithfully hold the older as tight as he could in his arms, drawing random shapes on Youngmin’s back while humming random tunes (mostly theme songs from Pokemon because I’m creative like that)

Kwangmin gives himself a slap mentally, beating himself up as he did for not being there when his twin need him the most. Granted, he was having a test at the same time Youngmin had his principle of accounting and so he can’t be with his twin at that particular moment now can he? It’s not like Kwangmin can divide himself into two or something. But the fact that he was not there where he’s supposed to still remains.

Steeling his resolution and making up his mind, Kwangmin decided. ‘That’s it! I’ll cheer him up no matter what it takes!’ With the sole goal of pleasing his brother in his mind, his brain starts processing information at hundred kilometers per second and he starts brain-storming for ideas as to how to cheer Youngmin up.

But, despite the numerous brilliant ideas that he have come up with, he can’t executing any of them for multiple reasons actually. The first and most prominent and really, really obvious reason being that he have no idea where Youngmin is. How could he do anything he plans with the older if Youngmin is not there?!

Now with a clear mind and a single goal on his mind, Kwangmin blatantly ignore Minwoo who had just finished his rant and complains of how difficult his test was and Kwangmin take a quick glance at his watch.

It is one o’clock in the afternoon and the bus only comes at one fifteen. That means he have about ten minute to execute phase one of his ingenious, the plan he dub as, ‘Finding Youngmin’ (pun for Finding Nemo if you didn’t notice) The plan is as its name states, Kwangmin first need to find Youngmin before anything else.

With that, Kwangmin ventures on, searching frantically for a certain cutie brunette. Leaving the dumb-founded Minwoo behind.

“He’s lucky he’s my best friend. And the fact that Youngmin would skin me alive if I so much touch his ‘Kwangminie’ or the fact that his fan girls would kill me with their glare. Or else… Oh the things I could do to him.” Mumble Minwoo to himself before stomping his way.

~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, casually sitting on a stone bench, nonchalantly swinging his leg as he nod his head to the left and to the right, losing himself to the song he’s listening to through his earphones without much care about the world as he hums along to the lyric of the song is a boy with dark chocolate brown hair who, just like Kwangmin, is also a senior from the same school.

On his lap is small book commonly used for sketching, a sketch book, and making full use of the said book, the boy let his hand glide across his sketch book slowly but surely forming the images that he had envision before. He continue his sketches with a rather, carefree gaze, absent-minded even.

Despite that, shapes and object starts forming the image he intends to draw. A high mountain of lush trees and in the middle of it is an old, abandon house. On a closer look, it appears the house is falling apart, and the weather inside the drawing is actually raining.

As he put in the finishing touches, a bit of detail on the trees and a few more randomly placed stones of multiple sizes, he sees someone’s shoes stopping right in front of him as the owner of the said shoes looms over him, casting shadow both on himself, and his sketches.

Slightly intrigue and a bit angry, the boy raise his gaze a bit, curious as to whom is it that dare to block his view as he peek at the intruder through his long eye lashes.

~*~*~*~*~

Looking down, and staring at those beautiful light brown eyes that’s staring right back at him  as he try to catch his breath while participating in the impromptu staring contest, Kwangmin tries to bring forth his meanest, scariest, and angriest look into play.

Of course that mean, scary and angry look that Kwangmin so pain-stalking tries to maintain dissipate into thin air as quick as it appears the moment he sees a small, soft smile on the boy he so desperately wish to be mad at. Needless to say, the boy’s smile is contagious, and if not for Kwangmin’s seventeen years long of experience of maintaining a poker face in the presence of that smile on that cute face of his, Kwangmin would’ve smile too.

‘Damn you for being so adorable and cute! Because of you I had to run around the school’s compound for a whole ten minutes like a headless chicken and a single smile is all it takes for me to forgive you?! What is this witchcraft you practice Jo Youngmin! And just what kind spell did you cast upon me!’

Kwangmin, who’s so fixated and busy questioning the reality and is currently believing that Youngmin is witch, fail to notice the concern look in the said witch’s face. And as his mind ponders on when did Youngmin cast the love spell on him, his sense of hearing also fails on him that he fail to hear Youngmin calling for him. And Kwangmin most definitely didn’t notice the anything but pleased look on his twin’s face.

At the very least, he snap back to reality when he feel himself getting slap on his arm, hard. Like, a really, really hard slap.

“Ouch, what’s that for hyung?!” half ask and half shout Kwangmin, subconsciously pouting as he rub his throbbing limb.

“What for? Are you serious Jo Kwangmin?” question the older, hands on his wrist and looking at Kwangmin with a ‘are you kidding me’ look.

For a split moment, Kwangmin thought Youngmin look like an angry wife scolding his husband. ‘He can be the faithful wife at home and I can be the hardworking husband and-’ Kwangmin didn’t manage to delve deeper into his fantasy as Youngmin hit him.

Again, for the second time with not a minute interval.

“Hyung! What’s with you and hitting me today?”

“Well maybe if you didn’t just suddenly appear up on my face, hindering me from my sketches as you did, and then just blatantly ignores me, I won’t hit you” Youngmin scoff.

Hearing Youngmin’s reasoning of his action, Kwangmin quickly open his mouth to retort but luck is just not on his side today as Youngmin cuts him off.

“Spare me your excuses young man, the bus are here” said Youngmin as he turn back, picking up his sketch book and his bag.

Youngmin didn’t even bother to wait for Kwangmin. He just walk pass the younger, purposely bumping their shoulder together, leaving Kwangmin who blinks blankly at what just happen.

‘What the? Here I was thinking that he’ll be all teary and sad but… he seems okay though? In fact, he’s a bit more… sassy than usual? But that’s about it’ Kwangmin quickly breaks off his trains of thought as he takes baby steps to catch up to Youngmin. ‘Is he really fine?’ wonder Kwangmin as he discreetly not peeks at his twin.  

Kwangmin observes his seemingly happy-go-lucky twin for a whole minute. He watches the said older board the bus. He sees the older smiling, and giving the bus driver a slight nod as greeting as he pay the toll. And Kwangmin also spot Youngmin looking at him with an eye-brow raise, tapping his leg impatiently a few times in rapid succession before sighing, shaking his head a bit.

“Seriously Kwangmin, what’s with you and spacing out today?” sigh Youngmin before grabbing, more like harshly dragging him into the bus. Not forgetting to pay for the younger of course.

Kwangmin can do nothing but blinks blankly as Youngmin drag him away like a sack of potatoes. ‘What’s this? I can’t help but think that this scene is somewhat wrong, if that’s the correct way to put it’ thought Kwangmin. ‘Wait, that’s because I’m supposed to cheer him up! Him being, well, normal-ish simply threw me off my game. But doesn’t matter, I know him better than anyone and I can tell that no matter how he’s acting like the test didn’t affect him, he’s feeling down’

Kwangmin steel his resolve once again, completely missing the bewildered look on Youngmin’s face…

‘And so! I shall make sure he’ll be the same ol’ Youngmin that I know by the time I’m done with him in the second face of this ingenious plan I’ve come up with’ conceited much? 'If this didn't work and he'll still try to put this act in front of me, I'll kis-slap him senseless wait what?'

Boy did that brilliant plan of his work smoothly… not

P.S. But fear not, should Kwangmin's operation, 'Revert Youngmin' fail, there is always the ultimate problem solver, with either one hundred percent chance of succeeding of failing miserable that will have Kwangmin curled up in a deep, deep and dark hole somewhere in a desolated part of the world, the almighty cure of all, a kiss from the prince charming that would wake up the sleeping beauty...