Ichigo Ichie

Ichigo Ichie
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

ICHIGO ICHIE

« Treasure every encounter for it may be unique and never recur. »

 

 

There are two types of people, in this world.

The self-assured ones who blindly tackle life and experience what it has to offer without fearing the consequences, carefree and self-confident enough not to be bothered by the unexpected. I've always admired their baffling ease to mix with people. I envy them, even.

But then who are the opposite kind of people, you must wonder. Well, they are the tiny minority of persons who keep to themselves, whether it is by choice or simply because their lack of boldness is severe enough to prevent them from crossing this invisible, yet taunting boundary in front of their feet. It's people like me. Those who do not easily offer their trust and who have a hard time letting someone into their lives lest they end up betraying them. These persons can only be the spectators of their own exile of the world. And the more time goes by, the more out of reach it seems.

How stupid I was for letting this gap grow bigger and bigger, wider and wider, until all I could do was sit here, on this bench, facing this insurmountable barrier that was made of my own timidity. I can only blame myself and my fear of heartbreak that Failure and Rejection never miss to bring along with their troublesome selves.

I've always had a hard time understanding people. I'm rather skilled at reading their facial expressions but the complexity of their twisted minds will forever remain an unsolved mystery for me. Maybe that's why I ended up watching them from afar instead of vainly trying to reach for their elusive world.

People are like stars. Each one emits its own light, its personal gleam. People are like stars. And I love stargazing.

I was never a talkative, I've always been a people-watcher. As strange as it might sound, I find it captivating to observe them going about their daily routines. I can sit on this bench for hours, simply looking at them scowling, smiling, laughing, fighting over small issues. In short, living. They offer me such heartfelt sceneries and I live through them. The dark green paint of the wooden texture hidden beneath my body is already well crackled, t

Please log in to read the full chapter