Chapter 2: Mothers don't always know best

My crush is a Jerk

-

“Nooooo, are you seriously going?” cried Rena as she dramatically threw her head back with arms outstretched infront of her.

“I’ve told you before, I’m serious. Did you think I would change my mind the day before I had to leave?”

“I can’t believe we’re finally going to part, after so many years spent together. Traitor!”

I watched Rena viciously dig her spoon into her innocent chocolate sundae, probably wishing that the soft white ice cream was my heart. We had decided to spend my last week in town together every day, and even though I was sad that we would be parting once I left for Uni, I knew that this was what I wanted. I needed to get away from all of this.

Rena was sitting with her face down and staring at her sundae melting away. Over the past few weeks I had been feeling terrible because I knew I had to leave behind one of my closest friends. Even though she had tried to get into N university, her marks were not good enough. And as a result they rejected her. As if that was not enough to make me feel bad about my decision to leave I also had to deal with my parents anxiety.

“You know, it’s not that bad... I’m sure you won’t allow an 8 hour drive to keep us apart.” I giggled as I playfully pushed her shoulder.

“Yeah yeah, it’s just that I really am going to miss you.”

When Rena finally looked back up at me, I saw her eyes b with tears. I had been trying to hold back my own but seeing her crying was too much for me. Getting up from my seat across from her, I plonked myself down next to her, placing my arm around her shoulder as I allowed myself to have this final moment, tears streaming down my cheeks as I knew I would be leaving behind the one friend who was always there for me.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

The incessant knocking of pans, plates and cutlery in the kitchen was routinely how Junhoe woke up everyday. That, or his mother slamming open his bedroom door while screaming at him for being lazy, not caring that she was invading his privacy. She had even walked in on him spanking the monkey one morning, not that that stopped her from barging into his room again the very next day. Thankfully, it was holiday, and his last day in his home, so his mother was more lenient to allow him to sleep in because honestly, he’d need it. Once he got to Uni, he wouldn’t be able to laze about as he did.

He turned around to lay down on his side, staring out of the open window into the street where kids were running around and skating. The sounds of their youthful screams streaming in through the window as they enjoyed their last few days of summer vacation, making him reminisce back to his days as a kid, when life seemed so simple. Now though, he was preparing to leave his home and move as far away from his hometown as possible. The last few years of High School hadn’t been one of the best times of his life, trying to fit in and be popular had made him many enemies, and regrettably caused him to sever relationships with friends in the worst possible way.

Sitting up in bed, Junhoe looked around at the empty room, his treasured comic books which were always pristinely stacked on the bookshelf was now safely sealed in a brown box next to his door. Clothes which were usually strewn all over his floor was now nowhere to be seen, neatly folded and packed in several boxes piled up on one another. Just thinking about having to unpack all of his things gave him a headache. But still, the excitement of starting a new life somewhere else made him feel like it was the best decision he could possibly have made.

Throwing himself back onto his bed, he stared at the ceiling, sighing loudly. “I wish I could go back, but since I can’t I just need to start afresh.” He thought to himself. That’s why he had chosen N University. An 8 hour drive from home, it was sure to keep all those bad memories at bay. Besides, none of his “friends” had gotten into such an elite university, he was certain that NOBODY from his High School would even think of going there. Which was all the more reason to be happy about it.

He threw the blankets off from his body, allowing the cold air to hit his bare chest. Swinging his legs off the bed and onto the hard wood floor, he grabbed his pants and sweater as he walked to the bathroom to take a shower and then walked to the kitchen for some breakfast.

“Morning Umma, Appa,” he said as he saw his parents sitting at the kitchen table eating their usual eggs and bacon.

“Pabo!” he said as he passed his little brother, giving him a playful slap against the head.

“Chincha! Wae hyung? It hurts! I can’t wait till you leave.” said his brother as he stuck out his tongue.

“When I leave, you’ll probably miss me, so don’t complain and appreciate this last day of slaps. Tomorrow morning you will be crying for me to stay.” He retorted.

“Ha, never! Umma said I could have your PS4 once you leave, and all the games. So I won’t have time to miss your annoying presence.”

“Yah, this rascal! Getting cocky on my last day here.” Junhoe said as he laughed. He would surely miss this.

“You two, calm down. More importantly - Junhoe, are all of your things packed? I don’t want us to forget anything, buy what you need to now since it’s your last day here.”

“Umma, I’ve been ready to leave since the beginning of time, before dinosaurs walked this earth.”

“Someone seems to be very excited.” Said his father while giving Junhoe a weak smile, sadness apparent in his eyes knowing that his eldest would be leaving tomorrow.

“Ah, Junhoe, before I forget. Appa won’t be coming along tomorrow, but you know Mrs Park, right?” she said as she turned her face towards Junhoe, who seemed to be feeling uneasy all of a sudden. What was this feeling in the pit of my stomach? Maybe he was just hungry.

“Yes... Mrs Park, we went there two years back hey? For their anniversary?” replied Junhoe, biting down on a piece of toast to try fill his hunger.

“I’m glad you remember since you didn’t seem to be close to her daughter, Eun-Ji, anymore.”

Junhoe didn’t like where this conversation was going...

His mother continued, “Well, Eun-Ji is also going to N-University, so we’ve decided to drive up together.”

Junhoe dropped his toast onto his plate suddenly realizing that the feeling in his stomach wasn’t hunger at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“WHAT?!” I screamed as soon as I heard the words come out of my mother’s mouth. Causing her to drop the box we were moving into the living room. “Why mom? No! please, I don’t want to drive with them.”

“Don’t be silly! Besides, aren’t you and Junhoe good friends? I’m surprised that you didn’t know he got into N Unversity as well, seeing as both of you are going to be doing the same course.”

I felt my heart drop down to my . This couldn’t possibly be happening... I purposely chose to go there, thinking I wouldn’t see any from High School, but to find out that Junhoe, the person I hated the most, would also be there, was just too much for my fragile heart to bear. I dramatically grabbed my chest, feeling faint all of a sudden.

“What are you doing Eun-Ji? Stop being so dramatic, it’s only an 8 hour drive. You act like the Kims are strangers but you’ve known them all your life. Besides, umma won’t be as lonely on the drive back home if we go together.”

My poor mother, not knowing my relationship (or lack thereof) with Junhoe, thought that she was doing us a favour. Yet this was possibly the worst thing that could happen. In the time it took to utter just a few words, my whole life and future plans came crashing down. My dreams crushed under the cruel foot of fate... What have I done in my past life to deserve such horrible karma? I must have been an tyrant who killed hundreds of thousands of people. Why else would my life be so miserable? It all seemed to make sense to me now.

After packing my boxes in the living room, I dragged my tired (more to do with the shock I had to go through today then the physical work of carrying boxes up and down the stairs) into my bedroom and onto my bed. But even though I was so tired, I simply couldn’t fall asleep and ended up tossing and turning in my bed. “AHHHHHHHH WHY ME?!” I screamed into my pillow. Just thinking about Junhoe made my blood boil. I pictured him in my mind, “Oh , I want to punch his damn face.” I thought to myself. Thinking I’d text Rena to try and calm myself down, I turned over on my side and picked up my phone. Clicking the home button, the display switched on and I looked at the time which read 2:07AM.

“Chincha, now I am losing sleep over the guy too.” I said to myself. This pissed me off even more. I placed my phone back down on the bed side table, forgetting that I wanted to text Rena, and snuggled up into my duvet. Thinking it was best to try and get a bit of sleep in since we had a long drive and I needed to be up early. After awhile, I found myself drifting off to sleep, but the last thing I remember mumbling before I lost consciousness was “Junhoe... You jerk.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Wow, I did not think I would get this many subs for the story. 21 is alot (well for me atleast!) lol. So thank you to everyone who subbed to my story as well as the comments and the upvotes, I really do appreciate it.

I know I promised to update awhile back but I was very busy and didn’t have time to finish the chapter till now. So forgive me for the delay.

This chapter was much longer than the first one because I wanted to get a perspective of Junhoe and his decision to leave as well, even though I really didn’t expand on what happened between him and Eun-Ji yet. Also, I haven’t really introduced more characters into the story yet but I will in the next chapter, and it will be an iKON member(s?) (who do you think it will be?!). Hope you guys enjoy this one, and I promise to update soon because this is exciting me as well lol.