Sleepless (Part V)

Sleepless

Annie and Finnick crashed into each other the moment they laid eyes on the other half.

 

The both of them stayed close to the wall, both of them unable to let go of each other. No one came close to draw them apart, perhaps they too understood that Finnick and Annie would always be just that.

 

Finnick and Annie.

 

Jessica waited for a moment before trudging over, her boots ringing loudly in the corridor. She saw Finnick tensing before he saw that it was her, the mentor smiling at her widely, a smile that she has not seen since he escaped from the Quarter Quell. He raised him arm for her to join them, Annie also inviting her happily with wide arms. Warmth engulfed her and for once, even if it was a temporary illusion, Jessica felt a sort of safety she hasn’t felt in a very long time.

 

She murmured softly.

 

“I’m so sorry, Annie.”

 

(She was supposed to get both her and Annie out of District Four the moment the force field around the arena came down and the rebel’s hovercraft came to fish all the victors out. But Annie had entered one of her episodes mid run and started screaming, alerting the Peacekeepers that were looking for them to their location.

 

And Jessica was no match for an army alone.

 

As she was fighting her way out, Annie was wrenched from her grasp and she was forced to make her own escape so that she wouldn’t get captured too.

 

But it doesn't mean that Jessica hasn’t stopped beating herself over it.)

 

Annie drew away confused and spoke in her usual lilting voice.

 

“What are you sorry for, Jess?”

 

She stuttered, too many words on her tongue and no eloquence to back it up. Annie, sweet as always, shrugged it off and pulled Jessica into another hug, happier now that she was in the presence of the two people she knew best in the world. Jessica caught Finnick’s eye and the man smiled, his eyes twinkling.

 

Sighing deeply, Jessica returned the hug, her arms tight around Annie’s waist when she felt something prodding into her upper arm. Confused at the sudden protrusion in Annie’s pocket, she pulled away and patted Annie down, ignoring the way Finnick was glaring at her for Jessica’s sudden check. The brown haired woman took in stride and raised her arms, Jessica finding the object in the pocket of Annie’s coat. Drawing the item out, Jessica stumbled backwards, Finnick reaching out to catch her but his hands missed her barely. The blonde started to sob, her hands pressed hard against to stifle the sounds. The article was fluttered to the ground, Finnick opting to pick it up instead of comforting Jessica, something Annie was already doing.

 

Jessica continued to heave, Finnick swearing loudly when he saw what it was.

 

A mask.

 

A mask that only Avoxes wore.

 

On the underside of the mask were words painted in red, bright and flashing as the object fell back to the ground, Finnick gathering Jessica into his arms and pressing her close to his chest.

 

FIND ME.

 

Snow was challenging her, baiting her to come to him.

 

(How did he find out about Tiffany? He shouldn’t have known, they were careful, they only met in the Capitol during the Games, they’ve been so careful...)

 

Finnick had to physically pick her up to get her out of the hangar, the soldiers of Thirteen staring at the with odd expressions and soft whispers. Jessica continued to sob, her fingers clutched around the mask that Annie picked up for her tightly and they made their way slowly towards the sick bay. In there, the rumble of soldiers preparing themselves and the constant discussion of war fell silent, only the hum of trying to get people better heard.

 

Finnick manhandled one of the medics out of the way and placed Jessica gently on the bed, the blonde man sitting down gingerly as though any sudden movement would cause Jessica to panic again.

 

(Nothing would be worse than this.)

 

Annie held her free hand and brushed her thumb back and forth, an attempt to soothe the hysterical girl.

 

“Jessica.”

 

She heard Finnick called to her but she was drowning in her memories, thinking of when,what, how did Snow find out about Tiffany.

 

(The last time Snow came close to her loved ones was when he had her family killed in front of her.

 

She had been sent back to her apartment in blood stained clothes, the man guiding her back shushed her before pushing her through the door. Tiffany had greeted her with a smile that slid off her face quickly. The door closed as the man stood there unblinkingly, watching as Tiffany caught Jessica before she hit the ground. The blonde did not care if the blood on her body stained the ground or Tiffany, only continued to sob as she clung to the brunette tight.

 

“They died because of me.”

 

Tiffany had hugged her just as tight and they both stayed on the floor almost all night.

 

It was also the only time she heard Tiffany try to speak.

 

Her words were slurred and it came out haltingly, mixed and thick as treacle but Tiffany had talked to her all night despite her disability.

 

And from that one sided conversation, Tiffany made her understand that it was never her fault, that she was not alone in this world.

 

That Tiffany loved her.)

 

"I'm getting her back."

 

Much time has passed since her break down, evident by the sleeping Annie at the edge of her bed, the dozing Finnick in a chair beside her and the dimmed lights of the sick bay. But all these mattered not to Jessica, the haze fogging her mind cleared and only anger remained in her heart. Finnick startled awake and stared at her, clear that he didn’t hear her.

 

“I’m getting Tiffany back.”

 

If Snow wanted a challenge, then Jessica would give him one.

 

Katniss will burn Snow.

 

Jessica will make sure he drowns.

 

*

 

“I kept my promise.”

 

They were still on the ground, Jessica shivering from the cold that seemed to have seeped through her bones. Tiffany pressed closer and her mask bumping against Jessica’s forehead. The silent girl let out another breath and spoke again, thick and muddled but somehow Jessica could still understand her.

 

You always keep promises. You did say that.

 

Jessica let out a desperate chuckle.

 

“But I did not save my sister.”

 

The tears returned, streaming down her face as she rubbed against her face, the dried blood scratching against her skin. A sort of  wail escaped from and it prompted Tiffany to pulled her impossibly closer.

 

It’s not your fault.

 

“Yes it is! If only I listened-”

 

No! If anything, it’s Snow's fault. He's the one who killed them. Not you.

 

Jessica pressed her palms into her eye sockets, relishing in the pain.

 

"And I'm supposed to go to the dinner tonight. How can I look and him and not feel like stabbing his eyes out? I can't go."

 

No, go.

 

"Tiffany, I can't go. I don't have the strength-"

 

Yes you do. Because you're the victor of the 71st Hunger Games. Because you volunteered to save your sister. Because you're Jessica Jung. Because Snow cannot beat your spirit even though he's taken everything from you. Because you're a survivor and you won't let Snow win.

 

“Even though I’m alone?”

 

You’re not. I’m here.

 

Jessica looked up, her eyes travelling from the constricting mask to Tiffany’s gaze looking at her earnestly.

 

“What?”

 

I’m here. I’m always going to be here. I trust you with my life and I will continue to be here for you.

 

“Why-”

 

I love you.

 

Stunned, Jessica raised her hands shakily. Her blood stained fingers caressed the coarse material of the mask, watching Tiffany’s reaction. The brunette stared at her blankly, barely flinching when Jessica snapped open the straps of the mask, the grey material dropping to the ground with a soft flomp. The fingers then made their way to the pale lips, dry and peeling from disuse and from behind the mask for such a long time.

 

(Why take off the mask?

 

Because Jessica needed to know if Tiffany really did trust her, love her.

 

Jessica already knew her feelings for Tiffany was different.

 

She needed to know if Tiffany meant what she said.

 

So she took off the mask, the very physical barrier that barred Tiffany from speaking words from her heart.)

 

She pried open Tiffany’s mouth slowly, her own lips releasing another sob at the sight (How could Snow do this to such an innocent girl?), Tiffany’s tongue completely fused to the lower oral cavity, hence the ability to make some noise but not coherent enough. Her digits pressed against the abused muscle gently, Tiffany garbling slightly at the intrusion. Afraid that she might have hurt Tiffany, Jessica hurriedly pulled her hands back, Tiffany closing slowly.

 

Jessica questioned hoarsely.

 

“How could anyone do that to you?”

 

My family made a mistake. I paid the price.

 

“Family?”

 

I’m from District One. A pretty girl from that district... You’ve seen what Snow did.

 

Inhaling sharply, Jessica surged forward, her lips pressed clumsily against Tiffany’s chin, the brunette letting out a squeak. Jessica murmured softly, adamant that Tiffany feel the pain she felt for her situation and her relief (it was terrible of her to feel that way) she felt that they were in the same boat.

 

“Then... Always be here for me.”

 

Tiffany nodded in agreement and her lax arms tightened around Jessica again.

 

Promise.

 

She slated her head in the crook of Tiffany’s neck, aware that she was being manipulative of the other girl’s affections. She has lost all her family after all and any able minded folk would tell you that Jessica was being devious, monopolizing an Avox who loved her to be by her side.

 

But Jessica was also a person who has lost everything.

 

She was also a selfish person.

 

She owed Tiffany her life with the advice the Avox gave during her Games and the support she is giving Jessica now.

 

In Jessica’s district, this was the same thing as love.

 

Love which crept up like a wave and crashes against the shore.

 

So Jessica, a selfish person who lost everything wrapped her arms around the one thing keeping her centered and the one person who loved her in this world where people killed for sport and children were ed.

 

She vowed to keep Tiffany in her arms because she doesn’t think she would survive without Tiffany’s love.

 

*

 

Jessica was roused from her sleep by Finnick's shouting, the older blonde trying but failing to keep his voice down. She groggily registered that she was still in the sick bay, her body curled into a ball, one hand clutching at the pendant around her neck, the other gripping the mask firmly.

 

Plutarch opened his mouth Listening closely, it seemed like Finnick and Plutarch were fighting  over her, Finnick adamant that Plutarch not use Jessica as a piece in his  propaganda, Plutarch imploringly  asking Finnick to rethink his stance.

 

“Finnick, you’ve seen the effect she has on people.”

 

“I’ve also seen how you treat your supposed assets. Didn’t  Katniss just get shot?”

 

“Katniss knew what she was getting into when she stepped out to sway the workers’ view.”

 

“And you just let her because the Mockingjay who was shot willingly to push the rebellion’s propaganda forward looked so much better on screen.”

 

Plutarch’s face was slowly turning purple, the usually patient man’s temper slow rising. Confused over the situation, Jessica started to sit up, freezing when she heard Plutarch speak again.

 

“Katniss is the face of our cause. And Jessica? We’re going to stand her next to Katniss while we storm the Capitol. Even you can see how impacting it is, both the Mockingjay and the Mermaid side by side.”

 

Finnick scoffed.

 

“So you’re just going to use beauty to draw support. Let’s just put all the victors on television shall we? Never mind that Katniss is our best shot and all she does is run around and giving speeches. Now you want to take Jessica out of a team where she is useful to make her an image.”

 

Finnick did have a point. Jessica has never been more useless since she transferred over to Boggs’ unit, her position as a glorified bodyguard only made slightly better by Katniss’ attitude about needing a guard in the first place. If Plutarch did make Jessica her moniker, she’d be like Katniss, constantly under scrutiny and not actually being able to do anything.

 

She was not about to let that happen.

 

(Not when Tiffany was being held hostage by Snow, not when he’s torturing her, doing god knows what to her and Jessica doesn’t want to know if she can survive without Tiffany, if she can go on living without Tiffany by her side.

 

Dear god, they had plans, Jessica was going to get her out of the Capitol and sneak her back to District Four. It wouldn’t be hard, no one misses an Avox and they would be together without worry of retribution from the Capitol.

 

They had it all planned, goddamnit.)

 

Sitting up suddenly, she ignored the yell that escaped from Plutarch’s mouth and caught Finnick’s eye. She shook her head subtly and Finnick’s shoulder slumped, visibly relieved that Jessica was not planning to join the so called Star team.

 

(She felt bad about what she was about to do but Finnick wouldn’t understand.

 

He had Annie back.)

 

“I’m not joining the Star team. In fact, I want to transfer back to my old squad.”

 

Plutarch spluttered, not used to such opposition from people.

 

“But- the propositions- You’re the mermaid, you have to-”

 

“No, I don’t. I want to be of use. And I’ve seen you filming Katniss train of all things. I don't want that. I want to be out there making a difference."

 

"You can make a difference in the victor squad."

 

"Will I really? It works for Katniss because she's the symbol of the rebellion, the one who kickstarted all these when she laid flowers down for a dying girl. I'm just a girl who has the same story as the rest of the victors. The only difference is that I'm a lot prettier."

 

Plutarch stared her down and folded his arms across his wide chest.

 

"What is it that you want?"

 

Jessica wanted many things.

 

She wanted her family to be alive.

 

She wanted to not be alone in this world.

 

She wanted a life without the Hunger Games.

 

But mostly, she just wants Tiffany.

 

"I want to transfer out."

 

Plutarch threw his arms in the air and stomped off, the head nurse glaring at his back before coming over to fuss at Jessica. The blonde sat still as the woman ran the scanner over her before declaring her dehydrated, the nurse attaching a drip to the back of Jessica’s right hand, her left encumbered with the grey mask from earlier. The woman threw the item a dirty look before hustling off, Finnick drawing closer to his mentee and sitting down quietly.

 

“What are you planning to do, Jessica?”

 

Jessica fiddled with the IV drip and contemplated whether to pull it out.

 

Maybe the pain would center her.

 

“Jessica.”

 

She looked up and tilted her head, an empty smile painting her lips.

 

“I’m going to make a difference.”

 

Finnick’s beautiful face contorted and he reached out to ruffle her hair, an action that was not done in a very long time.

 

“Whatever it is... Stay safe, Jessica.”

 

And he left, probably to go to Annie because Jessica was not being Jessica anymore.

 

And Jessica found that she could hardly care less.

 

Because now she had a goal in mind and she was going to keep it.

 

She was going to find Tiffany.