Is it Too Late?

A Little Too Late (Two-shot)

The Name I loved once in this life has becoming further and further away from me

I am writing your name on a paper and forever kept it in my heart

From that day I only realized, I will only loved you forever

Love that can’t be together can also be known as love.

 

He finally sang the last part of the song crying his heart out. He wanted Cho Hae to know that she is the only girl he loved and will forever love. Cho Hae is starting to have a teary eye. She got the message.

 

The song ended and everyone gave him a standing ovation.

 

“Mr. Lee Jinki, you may now give your message for the newlywed couple.” The MC instructed butted in.

 

Jinki took a deep breath and bowed at everyone. He smiled and spoke the words he had never spoke before. This is his moment.

 

“I have to apologize to Cho Hae. I had thought that it would be great if Cho Hae gave up getting married. I’ve also thought about taking Cho Hae away. For fourteen years, the happy times, the sad times, the painful times, all were spent with Cho Hae. I truly felt that I was the only one who could bring her happiness. The Cho Hae that would start sulking when something disagreeable happens. The Cho Hae that would get angry when I skip my cleaning duties. The stubborn and completely not straight forward Cho Hae. I’m the one who knows her best.  The Cho Hae who looks strong but is actually very sensitive. The Cho Hae who always puts herself in second place, caring about her friends more than anyone else.  The Cho Hae who is the best at washing uniforms. The Cho Hae who was always by my side. The one who needed her the most was me. But, in the end, I kept all these thoughts in my heart. I was never honest in front of Cho Hae. She was always by my side. The words that I thought I could say anytime, In the end, I never said them once. It’s just one phrase. But I’ve never even said it once. I… I… loved Cho Hae.  To be honest, I still love Cho Hae right now.  But Cho Hae got married today. Even though it is regrettable, I must accept it. Because Cho Hae’s presence in my heart  is extremely important, It took me a really long time before I could say all of these.”

 

Silence filled the room. Cho Hae started to tear up. Hearing that confession from Jinki made her regret having a boyfriend in the first place. She could not hide her feelings anymore.

 

Jinki slowly faced the couple with a fake smile and said “Cho Hae, Congratulations on your marriage. Please be happy. If you’re not…If you’re not, I really won’t forgive you.”

 

After saying those words, Jinki bowed at the couple and left the room crying. He could not bear seeing her, now that she is in someone else arms. It hurts him, a lot.

 

--

 

Cho Hae excused herself right after Jinki’s message. She has to let those tears in her eyes out. She slowly went to the Bridal Lounge. She started crying and blaming herself after closing the door behind her.

 

“Lee Jinki was always by my side. In my memories, Jinki is always a part of it. Jinki’s gentleness always makes a detour and reaches me slightly late. Only now do I realize that the past me wasn’t honest towards that clumsy gentleness of his. I was obviously very happy, yet I couldn’t say it out loud. It made me feel frustrated. The person that was scared of getting hurt and didn’t gather up their courage to go till the end was me. The person who was unable to keep believing in Jinki’s gentleness and gave up halfway was me. The person who decided to never look back and closed their eyes one-sidedly was me as well. The person who wasn’t able to face her own feelings was me.” She reflected and told herself.

 

Yes. It was unfortunate that she is now married to the wrong person. But there is nothing she can do about it. What is done is done. She must now suffer and live with the consequences.

 

--

 

Her husband peeks into the room and saw her on the floor crying. He never saw her like that and it breaks his heart. He must do something to end her pain.

 

He knocks on the door and called her name. Cho Hae immediately wiped her tears and stood up trying to recover her composure.

 

“Eh? What is it?” She asked

 

He flashed her a big smile and said “I believe that the fate that no one can change definitely exists. No matter how difficult it seems, I think there are people whose fate are inseparable.  If there is something that is making you hesitate, why don’t you go and straighten it out?”

 

She was confused. All she could say was “eh?”

 

“You have the same expression as you did when you were celebrating your 20th birthday.  At that time, you weren’t sure if you should go look for the answer of that question you always had, or to complete the design competition entry that was in front of you. You were hesitant about choosing between the two. Right now, your expression is the same as it was then.”

 

He tried to laugh it off but soon after, silence was felt and observed.

 

“If Cho Hae is hesitating, then how about we have a bet right now?” He broke off the silence.

“a bet?” She questioned

“Yes.”

 

He took off the button from his coat. He puts his hand behind his back. He then showed his two fist clench in front of him. The bet was guessing which hand has the button.

“The chances are one out of two. If you choose the hand without a button, then you will give up completely. If you choose the hand with a button, the question you are thinking about right now, you should go settle it.” He explained the mechanics.

 

Cho Hae was a bit skeptical about this bet. He reassured him by saying “It’s okay. If we really are meant to be inseparable, then we have nothing to worry about. Choose.”

 

Cho Hae could not anymore utter a word. She does not know which hand to choose; the left or the right. But eventually, she chooses the left hand.

 

He let out a sigh, flashes her a big smile and said “Well done, my dear.”

 

He slowly opens his hand and there it was. The button was there.

 

“Go. It is your choice. Come on, Cho Hae. GO!”

 

Cho Hae, speechless, gave him a kiss on the cheek and a hug, and said “Thank you”. She then ran off to finish her business.

 

He was left standing there gazing at her as he saw her ran out of lounge. He let out a big sigh. He told to himself “I must be stupid” as he slowly revealed his right hand also holding a button.