Engagement

A Little Too Late (Two-shot)

Chapter 1: Enagement

J.S. Bass once said, Men cannot let go of their first love. Women, on the other hand, cannot let go of their final love. I guess this quote is true for this childhood friends. Jinki practically grew up having Cho Hae as his best friend and yes, his first love. But both of them kept their feeling locked up inside their hearts and the simple “I love you” never came out their mouths.

 

--

 

“Will you marry me?” The words echoed into Cho Hae’s ears. She never thought that his boyfriend would pop up the question this early. She was surprised, as a matter of fact, confused at the same time. Her heart tells her “no” but her mind instructed her to say “Yes”. She blurted out the word “Yes” and everyone around them went wild.

 

No. She is not getting married to Jinki. Never did Jinki became Cho Hae’s boyfriend. She is getting married to someone else.

 

It is hard for Jinki to hear those words echoing over and over in his head “Will you Marry me?” These were the words that he, one day, long to say to his Best Friend and one and only Love. Now, she is getting married to one of their friends. He is a little too late.

 

Jinki could not stand the sight he is seeing. He drank his first and last glass of scotch before walking towards Cho Hae. He flashes his bitter smile and congratulated her and his boyfriend and then he left. He could not take to see everyone having fun and celebrating their engagement. He hates it! He rather goes home than see Cho Hae engaged someone else.

 

But Yes. It is a reality that he must accept. The girl he loves and cherish would go to someone else.

--

 

Jinki got a phone call from Cho Hae weeks after the public engagement. She wanted to meet with him in a café where they usually hangout and meet. He was not yet ready to face, not even see her shadow. But he could not say no to her, after all this maybe the last time he would see her without his future husband.

 

“I want you to sing on my wedding reception” Cho Hae pleaded Jinki just right after they ordered their drinks.

 

Yes. Jinki has one hell of a voice. After all, he would not be an idol if he is not a good great singer right?

 

“I cannot go to your wedding… I have… Work?” He lamely reasoned out.

“Was that a question or a reason?”

“Both”

“Come on Jinki. Just ONE song.”

“I cannot.”

“Why not?”

“My talent fee is expensive that you and your husband cannot afford.”

“Wow. Such a High Self confidence you have there.”

“Haha! I know.”

“Come on Jinki OOOOOONNNNNNEEEEE Song!!”

“You’re not going to stop nagging me until I say ‘yes’, right?”

“Yup!”

“Fine. But Just for you.”

 

She rejoices and leaps on Jinki’s arms and hugged him tightly. He wishes for her to stay in his arms a little longer and so does she. But this would probably the last time they would do such thing. They would have to cherish every moment they have left together before Cho Hae gets married.

 

“Oh and you have to prepare a Congratulatory message.” Cho Hae added in whisper.

“Wait… Huh?... WHAT??”