Chapter 5: Ondol

3 Bottles

Dururururu. “Yeobosaeyo.”

“Taeyoon Oppa?”

“Jal jinae ni?” Taeyoon asked. “Are you okay?”

“Eung.”

“I went to the hospital to get some of your clothes come by my room to pick it up.”

“I can't today. I'm sort of busy.”

“Oh, Okay. Anytime then... I'll talk to you later. I'm glad you're safe.”

“Good night oppa.”

“Good night Jane.”

End Call.

Taeyoon emptied a bowl of rice into his own and replace a pair of chopsticks into the cup that held a matching spoon.

“More for me then.” He told himself forcing a smile. “More for me.”

He put the lids back on all the banchan. The side dishes would go uneaten with him just eating, and returned them to the refrigerator. Taeyoon took the salt shaker and added a dash of salt to his Seolleong tang. The hearty broth was savory, and rolled over his cold chapped lips. His tongue greeted the warmth just for a moment before descending toward the back of his throat. After he ate his dinner, he took his dishes to the sink and looked at his reflection in the faucet head.

“I suppose this will be the last time I can eat something as good as this.”

His reflection looked back at him. “Fighting.” It seemed to say.

~

The next morning, Taeyoon woke up at the usual time. He donned some sweatpants and a mismatching hoodie. “Just do it.”

“Alright,” Taeyoon thought, “I'll do just that.”

He began the first of his several morning jogs. He remembered what the doctor had said to him yesterday. “If you don't watch your health. You might end up in here.” What he said did not sting as much at first, but left a bad aftertaste. “I might as well start now.” He though. “They run all day in the military.”

~

“How does she look?” Jiyeon asked showcasing her work.

Jungkook stood there and took a gulp.

“Bravo.” Eunseob said clapping.

“Oba hajima.”

Jane felt the blood rush to her cheeks. Jungkook stood up and started to circle Jane admiring the result.

“You don't look half bad,” Jungkook said,” when you shower.”

The blush in her face went away as quickly as it had come.

“What do you mean by that?” She said defiantly. “I take showers... just... just not today.”

“Do you think she needs surgery?” Eunseob asked honestly.

“Yea, she might need some.” Jiyeon replied critically examining the contours of her face. “I'll schedule with the Gangnam doctor.”

“No.” Jungkook replied. “She looks fine just like this.

Jane's rich brown eyes met Jungkook's even darker beady eyes. He stared into her eyes and she stared back, determined not to blink. After a few moments, he said, “She might need contacts.”

“Colored or prescription?” Jiyeon asked.

“Or both?” Eunseob added.

“I think just the colored ones would be fine.” Jungkook said unsure. He looked to Jane to confirm his proposition. She nodded back.

“Noona can you take her shopping tomorrow.” Jungkook asked Jiyeon.

“I'll check my schedule.”

“Please noona.~~~ nya >.<”

“Alright you convinced me.” She said laughing at his pathetic attempt at aegyo.

~

“You can let me off here unni.” Jane said to Jiyeon. “The car won't be able to make it up this hill.”

Jiyeon parked the car in the alley and opened the trunk. They each took as much as they could carry and began ascending the steps to the hasookjib.

“Why do you live here?”

“Taeyoon oppa lives here.”

“So you followed him here?”

“No, it's nothing like that. See, Taeyoon oppa and I are from the same city.”

“You aren't from Seoul?”

“No, we are from Gyeongju.”

“But, you have no accent.”

“I know.” Jane said. “Neither of us can use satoori even if we wanted.”

“Are we almost there yet?”

Jane laughed. “Not even halfway.”

As they rounded the corner, they heard footsteps.

“Taeyoon oppa!”

“Jane I-ni?”

“Annyeonghasaeyo?” Taeyoon said to Jiyeon.

“Annyeonghasaeyo?” She respnded back.

Jane automatically handed her bags to Taeyoon and took the bags that Jiyeon was holding.

“What are you doing out here?” Jane asked.

“I was exercising.”

“Since when did you exercise.”

“Since I have a reason to exercise now.”

“What reason is that?”

“Apparently I'm not as healthy as I ought to be.”

“But, I like you squishy.”

Taeyoon gave a weak laugh. Jiyeon smiled holding back her laugh.

“Geureondae, who is this?”

“Taeyoon this is Jiyeon unni.” Jane said pointing her bag laden finger from Taeyoon to Jiyeon.

Taeyoon and Jiyeon bowed to each other again.

“Umm before you see my room unni,” Jiyeon said worriedly, “I have to warn you it is a bit of a mess.”

Taeyoon unlocked the gate to the four resident hasookjib. The land lady and her dog were often at the local puppy cafe, so for the majority of the day Taeyoon and Jane had the house for themselves. Jane stepped into the house and took off her heels. She stepped onto the wood flooring. So warm. Jiyeon did the same.

“I didn't realize this was an ondol house.” Jiyeon said. “It feels nice.”

She took several carefully placed steps on the heated floor.

“I'll go down to get the rest of the bags.” Jane said.

“No. You stay here I'll do it.”

“Gomaweo oppa.”

Taeyoon open the door and ran through the open gate.

“So, which one is your room.”

After a few moments of hesitation she pointed. “This one.”

Jiyeon looked around the room. The only thing she could see was a small, short floor table with a cup full of silverware.

“This isn't messy at all.”

“I'm sorry there isn't anywhere to sit.”

“It's okay.”

“We can sit on this.” Jane hurried to the closet and removed Taeyoon's futon.

“Do you go to school here?”

“No, we actually both go to Yonsei University (Yonsei Daehakgyo → Yondae).”

“That is a bit far.”

“Well it is cheap and quiet here.” Jane said. “And the land lady is really nice.”

“What are you studying?”

“I'm a freshman in elementary education.” Jane said. “And Taeyoon oppa is a junior in euihak (Medicine).”

“O so you two will graduate at the same time?”

“No, he is a junior.”

“But, doesn't he have to go to the military still.”

“Oh, you are right.” She said counting the difference in years on her fingers. “I guess we do graduate at the same time.”

“Well, I suppose you should read up on Jungkook. He is your boyfriend now.”

“Who's your boyfriend?”

The two ladies jumped.

“When did you come back.” Jane said throwing his pillow at him.

“Well I came back a while ago.” Jungkook said. “I just put your bags in y-,” Taeyoon took a quick glance at Jane's shaking head, “uh, my room.”

“Can you bring them over here. I'll help Jane put them away.”

“Don't worry about it. I'll help her do it later.” Taeyoon said trying to think of things to say. “I'll put them away after I take a quick shower. You know.... cuz of the … running.” Taeyoon turned to leave.

“Alright then.” Jiyeon said. After she heard the shower turn on, she turned to Jane and said, “He is a strange one.”

“Yea. I know.”

“Are you sure you can live with someone like that.”

“Yea. I trust him.”

“Well okay then.” Jiyeon said standing up. “I better get going. Tell Taeyoon that it was nice to meet him for me.”

“Yes unni.” Jane rose and walked Jiyeon to her car.