Chapter 4: Red

3 Bottles

"Annyeonghasaeyo.” Taeyoon said out of breath. He leaned on the counter of the receptionists desk. “Emergency room.”

“If you just follow the red line on the ground. It will take you there.” The receptionist replied.

Taeyoon turned where he stood. He stood on the red line looking both ways and back at the receptionist. She pointed to the left and bowed. Taeyoon walked briskly following the red line.

“Annyeonghasaeyo.” Taeyoon said once again.

“How can we help you?” The nurse standing behind the nursing station said.

“Is Seo Jane here?”

“Seo Jane?” She took a few moments and searched on the computer.

Taeyoon scanned the room to see if he could see her in any of the empty beds nearby.

“Seo hwanja-nim is no longer here.”

“What do you mean she is no longer here?”

“It appears that she left on her own accord.”

“Where did she go?”

“I'm sorry we don't know, but wait here is her doctor now.”

“Paek seonsaengnim.” The nurse said bowing to the man in the white coat. “This guest is here to see Seo hwanja-nim.”

“Which one?” He replied.

“The VIP hwanja.”

“VIP?” Taeyoon said puzzled. “I don't think that is who I'm looking for.”

“Oh, then follow me.”

Doctor Paek led them into one of the side rooms, where a pregnant woman was screaming.

“GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME!!!” She shouted.

“Hwanja-bun, we brought your guardian.” Doctor Paek replied.

She looked at him. “Yeobo.”

Taeyoon's eyes grew wide. “I don't think I'm in the right spot.”

“Is this your first child?” The nurse asked.

“Yes.... I mean no.... I mean... I'm not having any children.”

“Come on. Don't be like that. You should be here for her.”

“No. I mean I've never met that woman.”

“Well, this is the only Seo hwanja in the emergency room.”

“Right. This is definitely not Jane.”

“Jane?” asked the doctor. “Seo Jane left hours ago. She was the VIP patient.”

“Where did she go?”

“I don't know, but she forgot some of her things. They are at the nurses station.”

They walked back to the nurses station. The nurse behind the desk reached below to pull out a bin of belongings in a sealed plastic bag. She riffled through them until she reached “Seo”.

“Here you go.”

“Gamsahamnida.”

They exchanged bows.

“Wait before I forget. There is one more thing.” The doctor said. “My office is over there. Come.”

~~

Jane stepped out of the black van after Jungkook. The wind was icy, and she could feel it ride her up leg.

“At least this hoodie is warm.” She thought.

“Come on let's get out of the cold.” Jungkook said pulling Jane by the wrist.

They were greeted by the security guard who let the odd group of four in.

“Where are we?”

“We are in Mok-dong.” Jungkook said opening his arms wide and twirling. “We live in Hyperion Towers.”

“We?”

“I didn't agree to live here.”

“No. Not you.”

“We. Manager Ko and me.”

“Ah.” Jane said nodding. “Geureokkoona.”

“But you have to stay here the night.”

“Why do I have to do that.”

“You were seen at the hospital with the wig.” Jiyeon said. “They have already taken pictures and your face is all over SNSs. You are a hot issue now.”

“We better get to work fast.” Manager Ko said. “Jungkook run to the store and grab some hair dye.”

“Eung.” Jungkook said as he opened the door to leave the atrium.

The three remaining entered the elevator. Jiyeon positioned herself in between the manager and Jane. The manager pressed the white embossed “64”. It lit up green.

“Don't get any ideas, Byuntaeya.” Jiyeon said as she made a fist. “Don't worry. Unni will protect you from the manager.”

Jane bowed awkwardly. Jane's knees bent slightly as they sped by several floors. Her knees suddenly felt light when they approached the 64th floor.

“The Bimilbeonho is 7663.” Manager Ko said. “You will do well to remember that.”

As he approached the door, his phone and door beeped, followed by the sound of bolts turning.

“Welcome to our home.” Manager Ko said walking straight into the kitchen.

He pressed the front panel of the refrigerator.

“Do you want water, tea, or cider?”

“Mool please.” Jane said.

“Naneun cider.” Jiyeon yelled from the bathroom.

“Get it yourself.” Eunseob yelled back.

“Jane can you come to unni for a second.”

Jane went to the bathroom. It was big.

“This bathroom is bigger than Taeyoon oppa and my rooms combined..”

“Who is Taeyoon oppa?” Jiyeon asked turning on the shower. She indicated for Jane to come and take off her hoodie. “Is he blood related?”

“Just a close oppa. I've known for a long time.We live in the same hasookjib.”

“You live a hasookjib?”

“Yes. In Hongdae.”

“Hmmm..”

“Is that going to be a problem.”

“No. Not really. We'll just get you a wig whenever you go home.”

 

“I'm home.” Jungkook shouted from near shoe shelf.

“We're in here.” Jiyeon shouted.

Jane could hear his footsteps getting nearer. Thump Thump Thump.Jungkook poked his head in through the door.

“Here you g-” Jungkook said handing the bag over. He immediately covered his eyes with his other hand.

“What's wro. Oh...” Jiyeon asked. “Mianhae, Jane”

Jane had already started to turn a shade of red, somewhere between a strawberry and a tomato.

“I'll go help Eunseob hyung with dinner.” Jungkook said making a quick excuse to leave.

“OOO he got you red.” Jiyeon said looking at the box of hair dye. “What a good choice.”