Chapter 1: Run

3 Bottles

There were three empty bottles on the desk, and many more littering here and there around the dorm room floor. The bottles seemed to congregate near the trash bin and every so often would migrate nearer to it, but that was only on the occasion that guests were certain to come. As of now, the 13'x10' dorm floor was only visible where people walked and near the wall. Crooked stepping paths emanated from the center of the room and reached the desk, computer, and closet of one side of the room and the door of the opposite side forming an odd rectangular peace sign. Procrastination and apathy had turned the once clean room into a dingy mess and picking up a piece of trash would just upset the balance of the room, making it look messier.

“Argh...” She groaned, waking up to the sound of her phone alarm. Her empty stomach groaned back in response, reminding her the last time she ate had been too long. She rolled over onto the floor, and slid away a pile of books that was hiding a pair of black leggings. She skillfully picked up the leggings with her toes.

“These aren't that bad.” She said, pleased that the smell of the leggings did not match the smell of the room. She quickly exchanged her night shorts for the leggings and swept around her bed for her phone. It read 6:11 am, which meant that if she skipped brushing her teeth and make-up, she could make it to the mini-mart and be at the bus stop for the campus shuttle.

**************

 

He was not pleased to see the smelly girl on the bus stepping closer and closer to him. At first, he was delighted to see that she had been stuck at the front of the bus, blocked by a massive commuter crowd, but as passengers got off, her stench grew nearer. He could see the passengers get off and get right back in line for the next less smelly bus.

 

It was still dark outside. The streets were lit by sparse street lamps and the headlights of cars that bothered to turn them on. He wrapped his red and black muffler around his mouth and nose to block the odor. It worked. He pulled out his phone and checked Naver. Scandal. Breaking up. BTS. Fighting. Taehyung. V. Jungkook. Kookie. Girl. Kiss. Public. Affair. Ebola. ISIS.

“Korea is messed up.” He thought to himself. “Ebola and ISIS but this stupid scandal is at the top.” He snorted and felt the heat of his breath on his nose. It gave him an uncomfortable itch, and he slid the muffler down an inch.

“Ugh!” He exclaimed, waking the person sitting next to him. She looked back at him with her eye brows furrowed. He reached up and slammed the “Let me the F* off of this bus” button. The pungent smell had somehow solidified around him. He got up to make his way to the side door, but was immediately pulled back by his neck. She had sat on the tail of his muffler causing his face to ram headlong into her chest.

She pushed him off.

“Hey Hey!” The bus driver yelled from the front. “You two. Out!”

“He touched my chest!”

“You pulled on my scarf!”

“I don't care. Get off of my bus.”

As the door closed, the remaining passengers simultaneously took their first breath of fresh air.

*****************

“Look at what you did now!” She shouted, looking around trying to get her bearings. “Where the hell are we?” “Hey Hey. I'm talking to you.”

“Geo Jjeo.” He said, trying to distance himself from her

“Geo jjeo?!” She replied defiantly. “Ibayo! Ahjussi, stop walking away.” She pulled on his scarf again.

“There you go again.” He said pulling back on his scarf. “Let go.” He unwrapped the scarf from his neck and threw it at her. “You can have it.”

“I don't want this.” She said as she threw it on the ground. “You wait here. I'm going to call the cops.”

He stopped. “What for?”

“You touched me.” She said matter-of-factly. “Isn't it obvious that I should call the police.”

“Jjam ggan.. Jjam ggan.. Jjam ggan...” He replied politely. His whole demeanor changed in an instant.

“Oh! Now you are going to listen.”

“What do you want?”

“I want you to apologize.”

“Alright. I'm sorry.” He said coldly.

“What kind of apology is that.”

“I'm... Sor.. ry.” He said again.

“Now you just sound like a babo.”

“Here. I'll get you something from the GS25. What do you want?”

“OOO... I want a banana milk.”

“Alright. Wait right here.” He said as he turned to leave.

She followed behind him.

“I said 'wait!'”

“How do I know you won't just leave me?”

“Are you serious?” He said with an annoyed expression. “Fine. Come on, but stay 2 meters away from me. Got it?”

“Fine.”

 

They made their way to the back of the convenience store. “Bleurlakjeljgajwerkl.”

“What was that?” He asked.

The girl behind the counter leaned forward to see where the sound came from too.

“Blurgereref.” She clenched her stomach and gave him a I'm-hungry-if-you-don't-feed-me-i-will-scream look.

The message was crystal clear. “Here.” He said handing her the banana milk and two samgak kimbaps.

She put the items on the counter as he pulled out his wallet to pay.

“Omma omma. Jungkook oppa da!” She said pointing at him and looking around as if she were telling a friend.

“No no. I'm not Jungkook.”

“Mat-da. Jungkook oppa da!” She said as she pulled out her phone to take a picture. “I yuja nugu imniggaa?”

“She is my girlfriend.” He said quickly grabbing her by the arm with one hand and the bag of items with the other. “And I'm not Jungkook!”

Run.
~~~~~~