Broken Cup

Broken Cup

He loved him, but was he loved by him? Maybe for first weeks, maybe for month if he was lucky. Was he happy with him? Or was he with him, because of pity? He didn’t know. What he can’t see in the past, now he see pretty clear. Maybe he didn’t love him either. Maybe he was imagined it. Those months of painful ignoring, hoping, that his new affair ends soon. Months full of tears. He couldn't be angry at him, he just couldn't. Every time he forgive him. And now, how the time pass he realize that he was fool.

„What are you thinking about?“ deep velvet voice interrupted him from memories of the past, as well as two warm hands embracing his waist.

„Nothing important.“ He replied with a smile.

„And I was hoping that you were thinking of me.“ Tall man whined like a small child. The blond one just smiled and turned to face his partner.

„You pabo… How can I can not think of you?“ He said and kiss him gently.

„Minnie…“ He paused. „I know that something is bothering you. And you know that you can tell me everything.“ His voice was full of concern. The blond man curled up in his arms and slightly nodded.

„But you don’t, if you don’t want. I’m not forcing you. I just want you to know that I’m here only for you.“

„I know Kyu.“ He whispered. „I just don’t want you to get angry.“

„Why should I Minnie. You know that I love you, and I couldn’t be angry at you.“ He replied. His face broke into a smile, when his boyfriend curled up in his embrance even more.

„Kyu… he wants to meet.“ He spoke after a minute. Nervously waiting for an ansver. Seconds passed and Kyuhyun remained silent. He probably tried to come up with some answer, or was just trying to calm himself down.

„You should talk to him.“ He said finally. „It will be best for both of you.“ He addend and slightly pulled back from Sungmin, so he could look into his eyes.

„I know you’re scared. And if you want, I’ll go with you.“ Sungmin nodded sheepishly. Kyuhyun was right. He must finally faced his past. And if Kyuhyun will be by his side, there is nothing to worry about.

***

Sungmin and Kyuhyun sat in the corner of small cozy cafe. It was still early enough to let customers come in. Non of them said a word, they were just quietly holding hands. After a while, the glass door of the cafe opened and in walked a well build, dark haired man. His eyes flew empty cafe. When he saw two seated figures, he come to them.

„Hi Min.“ he said uncertinly.

„H-Hi Kangin.“ The Blod man nervously replied.

„Who‘s this?“ dark haired man pointed a finger at the man sitting next to him.

„This is…“ he tried to said.

„Cho Kyuhyun… his fiance.“ He introduced himself.

„Fiance?! I didn’t know that you have a boyfriend, let alone a fiance.“ He turned in surprise to Sungmin, who with a helpless expression observed interaction between his fiance and former boyfriend.

„And why would he?“ Kyuhyun muttered irritably.

„True.“ said dark haired man.

„Um… sit down, Kangin.“ Called him Sungmin. „Would you like something to drink?“

„No thanks.“

Sungmin turned to his fiance: "Kyu, could you, leave us, please?" He asked him. The tall man reluctantly got up from his seat, bowed, kissed him and then he his cheek.

"If you will need something Minnie. I'll be in the back." Before he went to the counter, he still managed to regale Kangin hostile gaze.

Sungmin nervously bit his bottom lip. Being alone with a former boyfriend just didn‘t feel right. After all he went through a lot because of him. It seemed that neither of them know how to start.

"The cafe looks nice."

"Hmm. Kyu and I have worked hard for it."

"Minnie, I ..." he began. "I'm sorry."

The blond young man looked at him in disbelief. He apologizes? It‘s already quite late.

"Oh ..." he blurted out.

"I know I hurt you. And that you had feel terrible. I want to apologize for all of it. Can you forgive me? Can we be friends?" In his voice was sincerity and remorse. Maybe one year and a half has changed him, perhaps he realized his mistake. But he didn’t know, what he wants from him. He can forgive him, yes. But start again as friends ...

"I forgive you. But we can’t be friends... Sorry." He replied after a moment. The dark-haired man looked  at him with astonishment.

"You forgive me, but we can‘t be friends?" He shook his head in puzzlement.

"I'll explain." Sungmin spoke up and reached for the cup half full with water. In one gulp he drank its contents and handed it across the table to Kangin. He took it and looked at him uncertainly.

"Break the cup." he commanded.

"What?"

"Just smash it." He commanded him again. Kangin hesitated, but finally released the mug on the floor, where it flew into pieces. The sound of breaking porcelain forced Kyuhyun to stop with the preparation of espresso machine. He looked with panic at Sungmin, if he’s fine. When he nod to assured him that nothing happend, he reluctantly went back to work.

"It’s done."

"Is it broken?"

"Yeah ..."

"Now say sorry to it."

"What? Why ..."

"I said, apologize to it." Kangin lowered his gaze to shards on the floor. "I'm sorry." he muttered.

"Is it fixed now?"

"Of course not."

"So sorry wasn’t good enough."

"No, but ..."

"What about glue? Can you fix it by gluing it back together?"

"I think so." he replied uncertainly. Sungmin looked up, searching for his boyfriend.

"Kyu! Could you bring us some glue?" He shouted at him. The brown haired man smiled and disappeared behind some of the open door. After a moment he stood with a tub of glue next the table, where was Sungmin and Kangin.

"Here." Dark haired man shoved a tube in his hand, than he sat down on the empty chair next to his fiance and silently watched as Kangin collected shards from the floor and began to glue them together. It took a couple of minutes to get it all done.

"See? There are still cracks in it." Sungmin remarked.

"Yeah."

"Do you think that will hold any water? That it can still fulfil it‘s purpose?"

"No, but ..."

"Why not?"

"Because it's broken."

"Because you have broken it." Corrected Sungmin.

"Oh ..."

"And it will be broken forever. You couldn‘t fix it, by saying sorry." Blond man paused.

"Will it still be broken if you walk away?" He spoke again.

"Yes."

"So you leaving it won’t fix it ?"

"No."

"Can anything make it the way it was before?"

"No."

"Now do you understand why we can‘t be friends, Kangin?"

"I think so." He nodded his head after a while. "So goodbye, Minnie." He get up from his chair and walked toward the exit. But then he turned back and looked at the two lovebirds, who were holding hands and smiling at each other.

"Before I leave, I want to ask you a one more question." He spoke into the silence of the cafeteria.

"Go on."

"Your cup is broken, but it looks like it works pretty well. How's that?"

Sungmin just smiled over his question. He looked at Kyuhyun and then back at him.

"That's because Kyu gave me a brand new mug."