Baekhyun

Mini-Chanyeol and I

Baekhyun woke up that morning with a daze. He vaguely had scarps of memories of his dream last night. There was a little human—a boy—sent in a bubble mailer to his house. What was his name again…

 

Chanyeol?

 

And Kyungsoo was there. What the hell was Kyungsoo doing there anyway?

 

Groggily, Baekhyun tried to sit up. His head felt a little heavy. He rubbed his eyes and yawned.

 

“What a strange dream…” He muttered to himself.

 

Baekhyun grabbed his phone that, apparently, was under his pillow and checked the time. 6.00AM. He still had enough time for a long, hot shower and breakfast before his 8.00AM lecture.

 

He threw his phone on the bed and stretched his arms. Baekhyun then noticed an empty pack of gum on the bed.

 

Had he been eating gum last night?

 

After cleaning himself, Baekhyun went back to his room for a clean pair of pants and a loose fitting shirt. He then looked in the mirror to fix his hair.

 

My eye bags have gotten worse, he thought. Well, that’s what you get when you spend most of the week in the library.

 

Baekhyun closed his eyes and took a deep breath; something that helped him calm down before heading of to the rest of the day.

 

“Get a grip, Byun Baekhyun.” He thought he sounded like Seungwan when he said that.

 

Grabbing his backpack and books, Baekhyun headed towards the door. He took one last look at his room. Everything seemed to be in place, but somehow, something just felt wrong.

 

“I’m going mad.”

 

He then slammed the door shut.

 

***

His morning class was uneventful, as usual. Baekhyun paid a decent amount of attention to the lecture and took notes. His professor then called him, talking about his recent paper. He got an A; no surprise there.

 

Once the session was over, Baekhyun packed his things. He was going to meet up with Seungwan. She had sent him a text earlier to remind him. She also said that her boyfriend was coming, and she hoped Baekhyun wouldn’t mind.

 

He didn’t really mind. Baekhyun had met Hayato once. He’s a pretty cool guy and, like him, he’s also very interested in studying. Hayato is a Law major, which Baekhyun thinks is super cool.

 

He went to the meeting place, a cozy café right across the back entrance of his university (obviously chosen by Seungwan) and noticed that Seungwan and Hayato were already there, waiting for him.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, you’re late!” She said, pretending to be angry. A smile then spread across her face. “Have a seat!”

 

Baekhyun sat in front of Seungwan and gave Hayato a slide bow.

 

“Hey, Baekhyun.”

 

“Hey. Nice to see you again.”

 

Seungwan started rambling about her morning class. Apparently, her professor gave everyone a new paper to write and it’s due in 3 days. How absurd! Was how the described the whole thing.

 

“It can’t be that bad.” Baekhyun commented. “You’re smart. You can do it.”

 

“He’s right.” Hayato patted his girlfriend’s had reassuringly. “You’ve always found ways to finish your work on time and still get As.”

 

“You men are too much with your words. You’ll never understand my struggle. I have a reputation to keep!”

 

Hayato and Baekhyun exchanged defeated smiles and laughed. Seungwan finally laughed with them.

 

“By the way, there’s a reason why I brought Hayato here today.” She told Baekhyun afterwards before turning her attention to her boyfriend. “Can you believe that Byun Baekhyun is single!?”

 

Oh boy, not this again.

 

Hayato let out a low laugh. “I’d say no; but you’ve told me that at least thirteen times on the phone last night.”

 

“Well, I was wondering if you could introduce some of your friends to him! You know plenty of pretty girls, right? Why not set him up with someone?”

 

“Um, Seungwan. I’m not really—“

 

“Nonsense! And even if you don’t end up being attracted to anyone, you can make more friends! You need to go out more, Byun Baekhyun!”

 

Seungwan had a point. Other than her and Hayato, Baekhyun can safely say that he doesn’t know anyone in his campus. Sure, there are those people in class who sometimes sit next to him and exchange small conversations, but are they qualified enough for Baekhyun to call ‘friend’?

 

And he can’t always rely on Seungwan and Hayato. For one, they’re a couple, meaning that they probably have their own couple-related things to worry about. And they’re not even in the same faculty; it’s not easy to find them and have a talk.

 

Then there’s Kyungsoo, his best friend who’s also in a relationship and is in a different university.

 

Seungwan’s idea didn’t sound that bad, after all.

 

“You can always come with us whenever we hang out, Baekhyun. It’ll be fun.” Hayato suggested. “Expand your inner circle.”

 

“That sounds… A little wrong.” Answered Baekhyun, a smile across his face. “But if you’ll have me, then I’d love to come.”

 

Seungwan clapped her hands. “Perfect! This will be so much fun! Tell you what, we’ll have a welcoming party for you!”

 

“Um, that’s not necessary—“

 

“I think that’s a great idea.” Hayato added. “That’s a good reason to celebrate. I’ll let the others know.”

 

“I’ll book a place!”

 

“Guys, really. You don’t need a party just for the sole purpose of introducing me to everyone. I’ll just wait until the next big event.”

 

“We can’t wait! Time is money, Byun Baekhyun!” And Seungwan immediately dialed a number. Hayato was on his phone: Baekhyun guessed he was broadcasting a message or something.

 

Well, it’s too late now, isn’t it? It’s pointless to argue with Seungwan, especially with Hayato backing all her ideas up.

 

“Well, I can’t wait then. Sounds like it’ll be fun.” He said, defeated.

 

“Of course! Ah, how exciting!”

 

The three had lunch after that. Seungwan booked a small café right across the campus for the day after tomorrow at 6PM. Hayato announced that a few guys and girls would be coming—not only from his major but some others as well. Baekhyun thought of inviting Kyungsoo, but decided against it. Kyungsoo wouldn’t feel comfortable with so many strangers. They’re similar like that.

 

After the meal, Baekhyun told Seungwan and Hayato that he was going to the library to read a book, possibly even borrow a few. Hayato decided to join him.

 

“I’d love to join you two and your nerd party, but unfortunately I’ve made plans with some friends over an upcoming project and some tea.” Seungwan said, a playful smile across her face. “So I’ll see you later!”

 

“See you later, Wen.” Hayato planted a kiss on her forehead. Seungwan flushed a light pink.

 

“Dinner at your place?” She asked.

 

“Sure. I’ll make your favorite.”

 

Baekhyun had never seen his friend so happy before. Seungwan hugged Hayato lightly and waved at him.

 

“See you at the party, Byun Baekhyun!”

 

***

Baekhyun and Hayato sat side-by-side, his head buried in between the pages of The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami. He liked it so far; the plot is twisted and full of holes, forcing Baekhyun to think harder with each word he reads.

 

“You seem so serious.” Hayato whispered. “Is it good?”

 

“Yeah. This book is by my friend’s sister’s favorite author.” He replied, flashing Hayato a smile. Baekhyun remembered how Kyungsoo’s older sister, Miyoung, would always talk about Haruki Murakami’s books. “What are you reading?”

 

“Oh, this?” Hayato pointed at the book in his hands. “Peter Pan. This is Seungwan’s favorite book, so I thought I’d give it a try. I’m not usually a fan of these kinds of stories.”

 

“What books do you usually read?”

 

“Hmm, I really like classic literature. I’m almost finished with Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, but I accidentally left the book at home.”

 

 Baekhyun had no idea Seungwan was dating someone so… classy. Hayato had always seemed so smart to him, but he didn’t expect the guy to be into heavy books like Great Expectations.

 

“Oh, I had no idea you were such a heavy reader.”

 

“Should I read that book next?” Hayato pointed at The Elephant Vanishes.

 

“Sure! It’s quite good. I’ll let you know once I’m finished with it so you can borrow it next.”

 

Baekhyun ended up borrowing The Elephant Vanishes. Hayato finished Peter Pan and, by Baekhyun’s recommendation, ended up borrowing To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. They parted ways and Hayato told him he couldn’t wait for the party.

 

On the way home, Baekhyun couldn’t help but smile. He was so glad that Seungwan found someone like Hayato. He’s smart, simple, sophisticated and good-looking as well. He can’t help but think about how lucky she is.

 

It’s not like Baekhyun was jealous. He was not particularly looking for a relationship. Heck, he’s been single his whole life. The idea of relationships never crossed his mind until Kyungsoo got together with Jongin.

 

“I wonder how it feels like to be in a relationship…” He muttered to himself.

 

***

As soon as he got home, Baekhyun decided that he needed a shower. He had been out the whole day. It was already 5PM. His parents would be home soon so he needed to prepare dinner.

 

The hot shower was like magic, it rubbed the tiredness off of Baekhyun’s body. He felt very fresh afterwards. Baekhyun dried himself off with a towel and went to his room.

 

He grabbed a clean shirt and a pair of shorts and put them on. Baekhyun then stood in front of the mirror to dry his hair off, humming to a tune he forgot the title of.

 

And that was when he saw something that he thought would change his life forever.

 

There was a man standing behind him.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t think.

 

There was an unknown man in his room and it’s way too early for his parents to wake up. What’s worse is that the man might be… ? Baekhyun was sure he wasn’t wearing a shirt.

 

Baekhyun felt his palms sweating. This is it; this is how I’m going to die. Byun Baekhyun, college student, death caused by an invasion of an unknown man in his room.

 

“Baek?”

 

“Gah!! Please don’t kill me! I’ll give you anything, please don’t hurt me!”

 

His small hands tried to attack the unknown figure; his legs were thrashing from side to side. However, a pair of large, warm hands grabbed his two arms, preventing him from moving. Baekhyun felt tears coming out of his eyes. He didn’t want to open them, afraid of what he might see.

 

“Baek?” The voice said again, closer this time. Baekhyun felt hot breath against his ear.

 

“Please…” He managed to choke out.

 

Baekhyun was not prepared for the worse. And he was definitely not prepared to be pulled into a hug.

 

“Baek, it’s you!”

 

Huh?

 

Slowly, his eyes fluttered open. Baekhyun couldn’t see anything but the broad back of the person hugging him. He immediately turned red.

 

“W—W—W—W—Who are you!? Why are you in my room!?”

 

With all his might, Baekhyun pushed the unknown man away from his body.

 

And that was when he was finally able to see the other’s face.

 

The man—no, young boy?—in front of him, had messy brown hair, bold, black eyes and heart shaped lips. He was tall—ridiculously tall. He was definitely , but Baekhyun chose to not look down. Baekhyun noticed that those black eyes were glassy. Was he about to cry or something?

 

“W—Who?” The face is somewhat familiar to him, but Baekhyun couldn’t remember. It’s like the feeling of having something stuck on the tip of your tongue.

 

“Chanyeol…” The boy muttered, eyes looking down.

 

“Chanyeol…” He repeated, confused.

 

But then it hit him.

 

Chanyeol!?

 

***

“So it wasn’t a dream…” Baekhyun said to himself, over and over again. His heartbeat hadn’t slowed down. If anything, it got faster.

 

So, apparently, somehow, some way, the little boy who came in a bubble mailer had grew life-size overnight. But how is that even possible?

 

“Argh!” He kicked his study desk. Chanyeol flinched.

 

The creature wasn’t anymore. Baekhyun had run to his parents’ room to dig some of his father’s old clothes. It was a little short on Chanyeol but it would have to do; for now.

 

“You know what, I don’t have time for this. I need to make dinner.” He told Chanyeol, not bothering to look at him. “Don’t be here when I come back.”

 

Chanyeol stiffened. “B—But where will I go?”

 

“I don’t know, I don’t care! Get out of my house!”

 

“Baek—“

 

“And don’t call me that! I don’t even know what you are! Do you seriously expect me to even care about what happens to you!? You’re just a freak the world sent to me as an insult!”

 

Baekhyun slammed the door shut.

 

He refused to believe a single thing that was happening. With his breath still heavy, Baekhyun took out the ingredients for dinner. He decided to opt for something simple tonight: beef curry. He cut the beef into small pieces and sizzled them in a pot with vegetable oil. Then, after adding water, Baekhyun diced the potatoes and carrots and threw those in as well.

 

After the water has boiled, Baekhyun turned the stove off and added the curry roux, letting it dissolve.

 

He then cooked rice; just enough for his parents.

 

He wasn’t feeling hungry.

 

This was really too much. Did strange things must happen to him? He was already struggling with the fact that he’s a friendless loser. But now the world was going to mock him by sending a strange creature to his room? Where did Chanyeol even come from? Is he human? Is he an alien?

 

Baekhyun left a note for his parents on the table stating that he will be going to bed early, and that the curry and rice were already prepared.

 

On the way back upstairs to his room, Baekhyun felt nervous once again. What if Chanyeol was still there? He surely didn’t see him leave through the front door.

 

Maybe I was too hard on him… He thought. I was just confused; I didn’t mean to call him a freak… Why am I so bitter all the time!? Maybe he should have called Kyungsoo for advice. But that was all too late now.

 

If he’s still here, I’ll tell him I’m sorry and that we’ll think of a solution.

 

“C—Chanyeol?” Baekhyun said quietly once he opened the door to the room.

 

But no one was there.

 

The window was opened.

 

***

Baekhyun forgot how to breathe.

 

He ran as hard as he could, fumbling with the locks of his front door. After all, he can’t just leave his home empty and unlocked. But other than that, he was barefoot, a towel still around his neck.

 

“Chanyeol! Where are you!?” He shouted.

 

The neighborhood was quiet. It was almost time for dinner, after all. Everyone was probably already inside.

 

“Chanyeol!” He tried again. Baekhyun felt pain from the small stones he stepped on but ignored them.

 

He decided to look further. Maybe Chanyeol went inside someone’s house?

 

He asked a couple of his neighbors if any of them saw a tall boy running from the direction of his house not long ago. But they all shook their heads.

 

One of the neighbors he knew quite well—a high school student named Namjoo—gave him a puzzled look.

 

“Baekhyun-hyung, what on earth are you doing?” Namjoo had always called him ‘hyung,’ for some weird reasons. Baekhyun didn’t really mind. “Your feet must hurt!”

 

“I’m looking for—“ Baekhyun paused. What exactly was Chanyeol to him? They’re not exactly friends. “—someone I know. Have you seen a tall boy with brown hair?”

 

“I don’t think so. I just got back from school. How long has he been gone?”

 

“Maybe twenty to thirty minutes ago.” Baekhyun sighed. Namjoo gave him an apologetic look.

 

“Well, I’ll let you know if I see him. Good luck!”

 

Namjoo waved goodbye and Baekhyun did the same.

 

It was not long before the sky got dark. His parents were probably already home. Yet Baekhyun couldn’t stop his feet from running. He can just ignore Chanyeol’s disappearance and act like they’ve never met, but somehow Baekhyun couldn’t do that. His mind was telling him something else.

 

The clock showed that it was 8PM when Baekhyun arrived at the complex park. He was so tired, yet if he went home know everything would be in vain. He decided to take a little break and sat on one of the benches.

 

“Chanyeol…” He said, then realized how sad he sounded just now. Baekhyun flushed red. “I must be out of my goddamn mind.”

 

His body was tired from running. He decided to close his eyes a little bit. Maybe Chanyeol will come back somehow…

 

***

When he woke up, Baekhyun felt a soft pair of hands caressing his hair. It felt so good that he didn’t want to open his eyes. What time is it…?

 

“Chanyeol!” He then screamed. “, I must have fallen asleep!”

 

Looking at the park clock once again, it was already 9PM.

 

“Baek?”

 

Wait, what?

 

Baekhyun finally looked up. His eyes locked with a pair of black orbs.

 

It was Chanyeol.

 

His hands were gently combing through his hair. Chanyeol then immediately pulled away.

 

“I—I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to, your hair just looked so soft and I—I’ll leave now.”

 

Chanyeol was about to run but Baekhyun immediately grabbed his hand and pulled him into a hug.

 

“Thank goodness you’re okay! Why did you jump out of the window, you moron!?” He lightly bonked the other’s head. “You’re coming with me, we’re going home.”

 

Chanyeol gulped.

 

“B—But you hate me… I should just go…”

 

Ah, right. I did say something like that…

 

“Hey, listen.” He tried to make himself sound as gentle as possible, not wanting to scare Chanyeol even more. He felt Chanyeol’s muscles slowly loosening. “I’m sorry about what I said. I was just surprised. Really, I’m so sorry.”

 

“E—Eh? B—But I was the one causing you trouble!”

 

“You didn’t cause me anything!” He felt his voice growing and tried to calm down once again. “You didn’t ask for this. So it’s not your fault. It’s not my fault either, it’s the world’s fault.” Great, I’m not making any sense.

 

Chanyeol gave him a puzzled look.

 

“I—Why don’t you stay over for the night? We’ll think of a solution. I can’t just leave you out here. That would make me a face.”

 

“What’s a face?”

 

Baekhyun wanted to slap himself for using such a stupid word.

 

“Nothing.”

 

The two embraced for a little longer and then Baekhyun realized their positions. Apparently, on impulse, he had hugged Chanyeol.

 

How embarrassing…

 

“Let’s go home. But let me do all the talking, just in case my parents ask us any questions.”

 

For a few seconds, nothing happened. Baekhyun prepared for a rejection, but then Chanyeol wrapped his larger hand over his. Baekhyun turned to look at him.

 

“Thank you, Baek.”

 

The smile on Chanyeol’s face was warm, gentle, calming. Baekhyun couldn’t stop staring. He couldn’t look away. He felt his cheeks grow warm for some reasons.

 

“Baek?”

 

“I—It’s nothing! Let’s go.”

 

They walked side-by-side back home. Baekhyun thanked the gods that his complex was empty. He wouldn’t want to handle any questions from his neighbors.

 

The moon glowed above them.

 

***

A/N: Hello, beautiful people! sorry for the late update, i had a bit of a writer's block ==" but yeah, here's the second chapter! i personally liked the ending of this chapter, btw :3 aww baekyeol hugging. if you liked this chapter, be sure you give it an upvote and subscribe for more! thank you!

ps. follow my instagram and i'll love you forever! and tumblr is always open for you <3

pps. the next chapter will have a different POV! (hopefully)