Kim

End This War

 

 

My mom and aunt hug me as we got there. I look around the house that was built many years ago. They got their income from the spring that is more the 15 hectares. 

"Mom, this is Suzy." Aunt said to grandma. I smiled but grandma wrinkled her forehead.
"Why didn't anyone tell me about Jihoo's death." My grandma said angrily.
"Mom, that was long time ago." Taecyon said. Taecyon, my cousin, look at me then shakes his head while he's making grandma stand. The last time I saw her, she's not like that.

"Mom's Alzheimer got worse." Aunt sigh. I can't believe it.Maybe I really didn't come her for many years. The last time I remember, grndma's memory is vey good. Well, grandma's already 97. 

"Sangmoon! Put your noona's things upstairs. The room next to you." Mom said to my brother when she saw my bags. I pressed my hands then again look around the house.
"Mom, I can't stay for a long time here." Mom wrinkled her forehead then let me sit in the sofa. Mom and aunt sat beside me. 
"I want to go home." Our house in Seoul is concrete. My dad work in a government that's why we have an income. but now, he was force to resign because of what happened. The spring went to bancrupt with me not knowing the reason.

"Suzy, we don't have a choice. Maybe, we should sell our house." Mom said.
"What? Why?" My eyes widen for what my mom said. I can't believe it. We live there for a long time and I never thought that time will come that we would sell it.

"What really is the problem mom? Why does it look like that were on a mud?" Mom and aunt look at me. Aunt was the first to say something but she looks she doesn't know how to explain everything to me.

"I make Taecyon go home because the title of spring is not with us."
"What do you mean by that? It's ours right?"
Aunt shakes her head. "Mom forfeited it to Kim family about 15 years ago."
"What?" 
"Yes. But it was not legal. Your grandpa and Kim Jihoo were friends. You know your grandpa, a gambler. Thath's why he was force to forfeit it to them. It didn't mean much before because they were friends. But now, they are dead. We an't have the right because the title isn't with us." I didn't know famous surname here in Gwanju. I'm not born here and I'm not familiar with the people here. What I know is people's work here is farming.

"So? If we should as-"
"We should pay the debt of you grandpa for 12,375,543.23 won ($11093.87) before Kim could get it." That big?

"Now they expanded their ranch.The end of spring is their ranch."
"Aren't their land enough for them? Tsss." Sangmoon said as he go down. He glared at me while saying that so I glared back at him. 

"What can I do since I'm here?" That's  what cirulating in my mind. I will be a burden here because I don't know anything except eating.

I don't know how many times Ive already beaten when I saw there is on,ly one bar of signal. There are some messages but it's hard to send replies.

"Let's go!" Taecyon yelled. They decided to go around because mom's angry at me for I don't want to enroll to school. Yes, I want to be practical. But now that I'm far away from Yoseob, I realize that he was right. I should let him help me in school.

"Noona! Don't be sad. It's fun here in GwangJu." Sangmoon said to me with sarcacm.
"Yeah right. There!" Taecyon pointed at the soccerfield. "That is the place where people plays soccer." I watched the boys who plays soccer there. Not so far, I saw a church.

"That is where people go to church."
"Obviously." I rolled my eyes. There is only few people here. Maybe most people gather at soccerfield. Maybe it was the center on GwangJu. There is a market before the church where there is many people now because the school days is getting near.

"Me and Sangmoon will go buy thing there? How about you? You want to buy something?" Taecyon asked. 
"Why should I? I won't study here."
"We don't have a choice. We don't have money for Seoul." Sangmoon said. We get out of the car.

"I'll wait here." I said as I lean on the car. They nodded then left. I crossed my arms watching the people go crazy over a low class dress. Yes. I saw girls about my age who goes crazy over one dress with inscrutable design. I'm far away but I saw how ugly the dress is. I just laugh as I was thinking that I would die first before I stay in this place. I stand up straight when I suddenly felt that my floral top has been ripped.

"! I don't know that Taecyon's pick up car is rusty!" I bit my lps as I look at my dress. 
"! This is expensive." I whispered to myself.

"Oppps, sorry!" A guy wearing a jersey said. I don't know if he did bump at me intentionally or I really block his way. But as I look at his face, it looks like he intentionally did it. He has evil smiles then wink at me.

"Ewww." It's not that he's ugly but he's not my type. 
"I'm Dongwoo." He lend his hand to me. I bit my lips. I nodded as I shake hands with him.

"Suzy." I said.
"Dongwoo, let's go!" A guy who is also wearing jersey yelled. I shake my head as he left. He even winks at me before he left. My jaw drop as I saw the back of his jersey.

"Kim." Dongwoo didn't leave my mind until Sangmoon and Taecyon came back.

"I bought you notebooks in case you change your mind."
"I said I won't go to school!" My face turned red beccause of anger. 
"We can't do anything about it. I already bought it." He said as he put it inside the car. My rage still continue as we wonder around GwangJu. 

"What is this? Uneven roads? They didn't even cement it." The more time we wonder around, the more that I hate this place. It was not so bad at first, but now I miss Yoseob, the aircon, his scented car and this unfamiliar place, I can't do anything but to reject their offer that I'm going to have my college here.

"Dad fired some workers, that's why the cleanliness are not maintain now." Taecyon said then get the leaves in the ground. There's still people who are going here. But Taecyon said that after the survey ends, the Kim's would get half of the income.

"Why do they need to survey the land?" I asked as I' watching the kids in the lagoon.

"I saw a Kim in the market earlier." 
"They did a survey to transfer their ranch name to their only heir." I nodded. 

"Who's the heir?"
"Maybe the one you saw earlier. He's the only Kim here" I comb my hair with my fingers.

"He's a arrogant, right?"
"Maybe. I don't know. I don't even taalk to him." Taecyon laughed.

"If I'm a girl..." I only hear Sangmoon's voice but my blood is already burning. "I would do anything to that Kim to fall in love with me. I would tell him that they should just give the land to us. Hmmmm. Or maybe I could sneak in to their house to get the land's certificate." Taecyon and Sangmoon had their evil smiles to me. I shake my head then roll my eyes. 

"Don't include me to your plans."