Quiet

Irreplaceable

"No sign of enemies at all," Leo said. "We're safe."

The little boy sighed in relief, but he knew danger was afoot. Hyuk grabbed his shoulder and looked at him, his metallic silver eyes sent a strange feeling into his mind that he just couldn't decipher. He looked away and saw his parents walk towards him, when when the little boy looked back at the cyborgs, they were inanimate once again.

"Son?" the father started. "Did you move these cyborgs?"

"...Yes daddy," the boy lied, knowing that the cyborgs wanted him to so that their identities could be hidden. "I was pretending they could move."

"Unleashing your imagination, huh?"

"Yes daddy," the little boy replied. "Where's mommy?"

"She's still sleeping," the father replied. "She'll be up soon. I'm going back to the room if you need me."

"Okay daddy," the little boy said before his father walked away and closed the room door.

The cyborgs became alive again and Ken whispered, "That was a close call."

"Guys?" the little boy asked. "Why do you try so hard to hide yourselves from my parents?"

"It's not time for them to know about us yet," N simply said. "They'll find out soon but right now the time isn't right."

The little boy became the keeper of secrets and an expert on lying. Though he doesn't enjoy it, he trusts that his friends will keep their promises.

During nighttime, the little boy was outside for real this time ever since his parents found this lab. He and his cyborg friends looked at the full moon which seemed gigantic in the starlit sky.

"Guys?" the little boy broke the silence of the dead night. "How long have you been inside this lab?"

"Approximately a century," N calculated. "That's almost one hundred years."

"One hundred years?" the little boy repeated. "That's a really, really long time. Didn't you ever get lonely? Or sad?"

"We were asleep all that time," Ravi said.

"Why?"

"To remember someone who faded away," N answered.

"Who was it?"

"It was a human who created the five of us."

"Did he have a name?" the little boy kept asking questions.

"If he did we forgot it," N said, and unbeknownst to the little boy, the cyborgs never forgot their creator's name.

"I understand," the little boy responded. "What were your dreams about?"

"They were the same dreams over and over again," Ken spoke this time. "But we never got lonely or sad. We cherished those dreams."

"How do you cherish dreams? They aren't real."

"They weren't just dreams," N said. "They were memories."

"Memories into dreams? So does that mean your memories aren't real if dreams aren't real?"

"No that's not it," Hyuk spoke. "Our memories were real, but we remembered them in the form of a dream, so that we can relive our memories."

"Oh I understand now," the little boy said. But then he asked again, "What were your dreams about?"

"They were about the past," N simply said.

"Can you tell me more?" the little boy pushed on. "I want to know about your past."

"Our minds are still fuzzy so we really can't recall much," the cyborg leader answered.

The little boy yawned and said, "I'm going to bed now. See you tomorrow, my best friends!"

(N's POV)

When the little boy walked inside of the lab, Leo said bluntly, "He was starting to work my systems up and not in a good way either."

"Yes," I agreed. "But at least we were quiet enough about it."

"None of you have forgotten our creator's name?" Ravi asked, his metallic eyes looking at the other cyborgs.

"Of course not," I said. "We had to lie about that so he wouldn't ask more questions."

"None of you have forgotten about the past?"

"Ravi," I looked at him square in the eyes. "It's called lying. Every one of us remembers everything. We had to protect ourselves because some of us think that little boy is actually him."

With wide eyes, Ravi turned his cart around and stared at the full moon, which lit brightly in the sky. I soon smelled the scent of oil and wheeled my own cart to Ravi, who sure enough had oil run down his cheeks.

"Ravi..." I felt sympathetic for the cyborg. "I've never seen you cry before."

"What's happening to me?" Ravi asked, his voice rising. "I know we're half human but we're not capable of producing tears!"

"If I could do it, anyone can. I feel the emotion called sympathy. What emotion do you feel right now?"

Ravi was silent for a few seconds before murmuring, "Desire."

"Desire?" I repeated, not sure what he meant by that.

"Yes," Ravi looked at me this time. "I feel the desire to see our creator again, but I think we fiund him. That little boy looks so much like him: His eyes, his dimples, his hair."

"We all noticed that too," I put my metal ball for a hand on Ravi's shoulder. "But for right now we must remain quiet. All of us could be in danger if we pass this information on to him. Let's go back inside and shut our systems down for the night."

With a nod, we rolled our carts inside the lab and in the formation of a straight line, we closed our eyes. I never thought that we would be this close to him ever again; we were supposed to be alseep for eternity to remember our creator! Yet, I never felt so far away from him either...