Reminiscing

Irreplaceable

A young woman was reading "Romeo and Juliet" to a little boy in front of her, her smile unwavering as she tenderly spoke each word from the ancient tragic love story. The boy, however, seemed uninterested.

"I want to play outside, Mom!" 

"Sweetie, they'll be back to play with you."

"But the hyungs are taking too long! Can I at least go and find them?"

The woman sighed before saying, "All right, son. You can go."

The little boy ran out of his house in search of his older brothers, the grass crunching under his shoes and the sun shining brilliantly across the world. He ended up near a river, where he find them still collecting water.

"N hyung!" a cute-looking young robotic man whined. "This is too hard!"

"Hyukkie!" a dark-skinned cyborg shouted. "We need to collect water for Youngji and Hongbin!"

"Hyungs!" the little boy called out to his cyborg brothers. They all turned and waved at him happily. 

"Hongbin!" Hyuk said. "Are you OK? How was reading time?"

"Boring...it was about a love story where these two people could've lived happily ever after, but they just ended up dead."

"How about...I tell you a story then?" a quiet cyborg approached Hongbin.

"Leo hyung! What story are you going to tell?"

"Well, this is a true story, first of all. But, it's based off love; you're still going to like it." Leo smiled after he finished speaking.

"All right, I'll listen."

"Leo," the dark-skinned cyborg along with the rest of the cyborgs joined Leo and Hongbin. "I'll start it off, if you don't mind."

"N hyung, it's fine. You can go first."

"Hongbin," N started, "100 years ago, there was a man who had everything he hoped for: a home, a girlfriend, and his cyborg friends. Then one day, the girlfriend died from an incurable disease and the man turned himself into one of us."

"So...he was a cyborg, too?" Hongbin asked curiously.

"Yes, and he made all of us as well. Ever since then, he only focused on bringing back his girlfriend. In this case, he transferred her memories into a cyborg model he had; it all worked out, until the government caused them to be dismantled."

"Oh, no! Is the government coming for us, too?"

"No," N laughed. "The government's all right now. It's nothing compared to the past 120 years. Anyway, us cyborgs fell into a deep slumber to protect our Creator's memories. After 100 years, we woke up, and saw the younger version of your parents."

"Huh?" Hongbin tilted his head in confusion. "I'm so lost..."

"Your parents were reincarnated. We don't know how, but we were so happy. Unfortunately, your father sacrificed himself to protect all of us. This was 20 years ago."

"I see..." Hongbin looked down at the ground. "I wish I got to meet him."

"One day you will," Ravi reassured with a wide smile.

"Yeah," N agreed. "Your father and mother are truly irreplaceable."