- 1

Happy Anniversary! Not.

“Oh my good afternoon Mrs Wu, I’ll call Mr Wu to tell him that you’re here. And by the way, happy 4th anniversary of marriage!”

  You smiled as the clerk at the desk greeted you.

  “Thank you! No need for the trouble, I wanna surprise him! I got his lunch.” You told her with a smile and made your way up to your husband’s office.

  Your heart was pounding like crazy and you just knew that something was wrong, but you just brushed the feeling off. It has been exactly 3 months since you caught your husband and his secretary kissing in his office, and that drove you guys apart.

  You haven’t exactly been talking or interacting much with him ever since that incident, but you decided that you wanted to make up today since it was your anniversary.

  “Oh god, I’d love to marry you”

  You peeked through the blinds of Kris’s office and what you saw were beyond your imagination. There he was, having a feast with his secretary.

  “Is that the food he prepared this morning for his meeting?”

  That thought brought you back to this morning when you saw him in the kitchen scooping some food into boxes, and that’s when he told you that he couldn’t make it for your anniversary’s lunch date because of a meeting. You felt tears running down your cheeks.

  There were so many emotions running through your mind at that point that you just left the lunch that you prepared for him outside his door, with that you made your way home.

--

  “Yeah thanks for the lunch boss!” Suzy, Kris’s secretary, said as she walked out of Kris’s office.

  “Oh wait, Kris! I think your wife came over!” She said while picking up the lunch bag.

  “What?” Kris asked, turning around to face her.

   “Oh no, not that damn.”

--

  Later that night, you heard keys jingling from outside. This just meant that Kris was home but you didn’t really care and just continued staring at the food you made for dinner.

  In the middle of all the side dishes was the cake that you made for him the day before, and with its candles lit you stood up and made your way to him.

  Seeing the cake, he made his way to you.

  “Happy Anniversary Kris!” You said in the most cheerful tone as possible.

  Smirking, he pushed the cake out of your hands and grabbed the collar of your blouse.

  “You saw me with her didn’t you, you little ?”

  “Yes…”

   “So then stop acting so nice to me.” He said, pushing you back with force while releasing your collar.

  He went towards the table and grabbed the bowl of rice, flinging it across the living room.

  “Stop acting nice to me when you know I’m in the wrong. What’s wrong with you? Why aren't you angry?” He said while you ran over to the broken plate and picked up the ceramic pieces, cutting yourself in the process.

  “I.. I just wanted to keep this.” You said, standing up and facing him.

  He snarled at you and went closer to you. “Keep what? My pity for you?”

    “No.. I wanted to keep this marriage. This relationship. It may be crap for you but this is my life, and I want to spend it with you.”

  In a second, you found yourself on the couch while he had a first aid kit with him.

  He dressed your wounds with care and you found yourself in his embrace soon after.

  “You know what? Just go. I know you can’t handle me, so just go. I don’t need you here, I’m fine alone.” He said as he stopped hugging you and pushed you off him.

  “What do you mean? I’m here because I want to be here. Kris, if I wanted to go I would’ve done so the moment I saw you eat with your secretary earlier this afternoon. But thing is, I didn’t leave. I’m still here, so why don’t you appreciate that and stop asking me to go?”

  “I’m sorry. I truly am.”

  He said as he hugged you once more, this time even sobbing in your embrace.

  “I’m sorry I lied to you. I’m sorry I didn’t spend time with you when I should’ve done so. I’m sorry that the kissed even happened, I’m so sorry for ignoring you all these while.”

  “Were you planning on marrying your secretary?” You said, releasing yourself from him.

  “What? No! Where’d you hear that from?”

  “I heard it before I left your lunch outside the door.”

  “Oh god, I’m sorry.”

  “No, it’s okay. Now let’s eat!” You said, pulling him to the dining table.