Final

Black Coffee

On a typical Sunday Jongdae would never go out. After being stressed already with high-school and such, he thought that the effort of going out especially on a free day was too much for him. He casted those thoughts aside when he slipped his shoes on, groaning in annoyance as he made his way outside. Walking with his face down, only lifting his head from time to time he made his way to a café, 15 minutes away from his house. Yes, Jongdae counted them every time. For the past month he got addicted to the place. Firstly it was close to his house and secondly the coffee was amazing. But those were not the only reasons Jongdae kept visiting the café. Like a “teenage girl who stalks her crush”, calling himself like that, he was keeping close eyes on one of the baristas. Luckily for him he already knew his name, Junmyeon, but not from the fact that he actually had a conversation with him, but from his name tag.

Entering the store he scanned it slowly, turning his head from left to right and back to check for him. And there he was. Preparing what it looked like a fancy drink for an even more fancy lady. Jongdae could only watch amused as the woman refused to take her drink unless milk was added to it. Finally after she left, Jongdae approached the counter with small steps, smiling to the cashier. His tag proudly showed the name “Chanyeol”, the guy himself being the most agitated person Jongdae knew. Well almost since his roommate Baekhyun would always be in the mood for jokes and such, making Jongdae groan every time he was the victim to such behavior. 

“The usual” says Jongdae, looking up at the boy who was buttoning the cash registry quite furiously. He kept his eyes on the male, seeing his head rise up to answer him right away. “Shi- I mean..we have a problem with this stupid fu-..please wait or go and order a drink. The problem should be fixed in no time” he gave his customer the biggest, widest smile, making Jongdae puke a little in his mouth at how someone could be so excited on Sunday. Walking towards the preparing area, he scanned behind the tall coffee machines for the one and only. Quickly pulling back as he saw two male walking closer to him he met eyes with another barista, who quickly rushed towards his side. “Hello sir! What can I get you?” said “Yixing”, Jongdae made sure that the first thing he checked was the name-tag and quickly realizing he must be new here since he knew every working living creature in this shop. Thanking the Gods the barista did not know his usual he simply offered a confused answer, ultimately saying he needs more time to make up his mind. That’s when Junmyeon comes in, with his perfect little smile and blonde locks pushed back which made Jongdae’s heart beat a little faster whenever he was close. Thinking he would only pass by, Jongdae quickly looked the other way but was met with a pair of curious eyes and a grin. “Don’t you usually order our specialty? Got bored of that already?” he simply chuckled because that was the only type of coffee Jongdae would order from here. The only one he would drink from here, he would’ve added. The sound of his voice made Jongdae a little unsure, like it was something new for him to hear it even though he basically focused on the beautiful sound that were his vocal cords when Junmyeon would occasionally take over the sweets section, making Luhan gasp whenever he mistreated one of his cupcakes or cookies, the latter giving the most terrifying death gazes. Jongdae knew all of this because he would drink his coffee inside the store, not wanting to lose precious little moments from the daily life of his crush. He didn’t think he was creepy nor weird for doing that. Other girls would’ve thrown themselves already at their crush, same for some boys but Jongdae liked analyzing things from afar, taking every variable in discussion before actually making a decision even though this meant going almost every day to the café. 

“No, not really. I was just wondering what other options I might have. Should I go for something new?” he tried to have a normal conversion with him, clenching his fists and begging he won’t throw any of his “you-should-totally-try-that” catchphrase followed by a killer smile. Not only Jongdae got just that after Junmyeon suggested he should try one of their coffee shakes because they taste divine according to him, but also the blonde male slowly raised his hands to push his hair back, letting Jongdae catch a better glimpse at his dark roots. . Trying to gather himself from the gummy bear state as he would describe himself being weak in front of a crush he quickly shakes his head and speaks. “I will have…the shake then?” he said with a little scared voice because he would rarely drink something he didn’t try beforehand without paying for it like on Baekhyun’s chocolate shakes every time he got one from downtown.  Junmyeon only grinned widely and started to do the drink. While waiting for it, Jongdae moved to the waiting area, tapping his fingers against the counter where his drink was supposed to be delivered, eyes curiously watching the cup fly around as Junmyeon prepared everything the best he could. Once the much awaited shake was in front of him he took his wallet out, wanting to pay for it since the register still didn’t word he blinked twice. Inside where green Monopoly money stacked on top of each other, not traces of any real money being there. He mentally curse Baekhyun and swore revenge for this as soon as he got home. On the other side of the counter was Junmyeon carefully waiting for the drink to be paid for. Jongdae didn’t know what to do so he only took some of the money out, flipping them in his hands. “So..yeah.”. Junmyeon seeing the “fake” money he chuckled, covering his mouth with the back of his hand as he pushed the drink a little closer to Jongdae. “This one is on the house Mr. Monopoly. Next time make sure you get your 500$ bills with you.” he chuckled again, making Jongdae hide his face in embarrassment. He quickly took the cup and ran away from the shop as fast as he could, walking outside in the cloud-covered streets. It was going to rain soon. Jongdae hated rain. 

Reaching his apartment still dry Jongdae put the straw closer to his mouth, taking a sip from it. Too sweet, not enough coffee, not enough cream. Sighing he considered disposing himself of the drink but then he reminded that this was a “gift” from the one and only crush so that would be a little mean to him. He made his way to the kitchen, taking lid off to pour its contents into a tall mug, leaving in the fridge for later even though he knows he owns Baekhyun more than double. Without doing anything else he quickly washes the cup before making his way to the bedroom. Another thing that made him question his life choices and ideals was the little “shrine” he built on top of his desk. Holding one mug, two medium sized coffee cups of different colors and the usual cup used daily at the store made up the collection he was very keen on already. Different teenagers would collect albums, postcards, guitars but Jongdae had something for cups, especially the ones from that café. Setting down the new milkshake cup which was bigger than any other item in his collection he smiled a little proud at it, convincing himself again that he was in no way a creep. Baekhyun all wet with a grin on his face and a teasing smile sure didn’t help right now as he more and more. Jongdae remembered about the money and the incident. Sure Baekhyun would love that shake served right in his face now.

Morning was definitely not Jongdae’s favorite time of the day. Ever. Making his way to the bathroom with his pajama pants pulled down and his shirt all wrinkled he took his time to check the latest news while brushing his teeth. Tapping the screen of his phone makes him almost drop it as he checks the time. 10 AM. He was supposed to be in school by 8. Damn Baekhyun and his good movie which was so bad in the end that Jongdae had to watch some of his favorites before closing his eyes, several hours later of course thus making him lose already 2 hours of his precious courses so far. Sighing, he turned around, walking to his bed only to text his mom that he wasn’t feeling well and that he stayed home to rest. One minute later and the reply came, his mother seeing right through that as she warned him this is the last time she calls in sick for him to save his . A soft sigh of victory left his mouth as he placed the pillow better under his head, scrolling on the newsfeed of his Facebook as an image catches his attention. Junmyeon holding a poster up that says “Get two for one only today”, the image being posted by the café’s page. Well it’s two for one and Jongdae could really use breakfast right now. Marching to the café is no problem, double-checking his money, touching them to make sure they are not fake he opens the door only to be greeted by Junmyeon himself.

“Came back for more already? Did the shake do it’s job?” he asked with a soft smile. Jongdae bowed his head as he made his way inside, biting his lower lip because he would rather be honest with Junmyeon and tell him he doesn’t like sweet things that much but saves himself the explanations, thinking he would just be a cloud on a sunny day that was Junmyeon. “Clearly. Now, can I get my usual and a slice of that..fancy name pie that has lime in it?”. Junmyeon only nodded, quickly making his way to the station as Jongdae walked towards him but by the time he could reach the counter, the pie and coffee were neatly placed on a tray. “Hope you have your real money with you this time. I don’t think Chanyeol agrees on Monopoly dollars” he whispered to Jongdae, a confused Chanyeol turning his head at the faint sound of his name but quickly turning it around to face a customer, making Jongdae chuckle. Insisting to pay for the drink Junmyeon let him take yesterday he also leaves a tip for him, knowing his mother would probably yell at him for having to send more money to his card this month than expected but he didn’t want to feel like he owns hi something. Especially not to him. Making his way to a small table situated in the middle of the café where he could see anything that goes on he takes a piece of the pie which instantly melt in his mouth and Jongdae has a hard time not to mewl from the delicious taste. He likes his coffee black, the bitter the better, with a little cream on top more for the look it gives the drink rather than for its taste because Jongdae makes sure to quickly it all before it dissolves into the black liquid. Time passes by as he enjoys a long breakfast, even longer than expected as its lunchtime already and he texts back and forth with Baekhyun about dinner but also about this guy he met at a café not too far from their apartment that has the most idiotic smile he ever saw. Jongdae ponders for a bit but then chuckles as he responds to his friend, shoving away any possibility that he was going at the same café as Baekhyun was. With his mind clear and a happy mood overall he exits the café, making his way downtown with the help of a few public buses to grab some stuff for dinner. Him and Baekhyun were to celebrate tonight that the latter finally got accepted into a special class at his university. Everything was perfect until he wanted to pay for the piece of meat he just picked out when he realized his wallet wasn’t there. It wasn’t anywhere as a matter of fact, Jongdae making sure to check every pocket. In the end Baekhyun came to the rescue, paying for everything as they both made their way towards their house.

“I don’t know where it is! Now I have to call the bank and let them know my card was stolen and then call mom and..” he was quickly shut by Baekhyun with a mocking laughter. “That’s what you get for spying on that guy all day long. Karma is a…” but before he can say anything he is nudge right in his rib, a powerful jab he would say by Jongdae who is starting to feel more and more down. “If it..helps you with anything we are having guests over tonight. Remember that guy that I told you about down at that sweet café I am going to take you to one day? Well he said he would come over and he would also bring his friend. Maybe you can have some fun and relax yourself a little tonight” but Jongdae wasn’t having any of it. Not now. Walking the rest of the road home in almost utter silence he quickly slams the door behind him and then goes straight to his room, starting to dial his mother’s phone number before he hears a knock. It’s not on his door but rather on the apartment door, Baekhyun quickly going to answer it as he welcomes the guests. Jongdae shyly makes his way out of the bedroom, the guests already in the living room as his eyes widen. “Hey, the guy with the same order always!” says Chanyeol in his deep voice, a hand going up to wave at him before Baekhyun turns in awe at him. “You know Jongdae? Don’t tell me the guy you’ve been stalking works at the café I go after work” he groans a little as the other man besides Chanyeol tries to speak. It’s Junmyeon himself and Jongdae wishes he could die right now. Baekhyun looks back and forth at the two of them and then giggles. “Ah, come big guy. I can’t open all the jars by myself” he says, dragging Chanyeol over to the kitchen as fast as possible.

The air is filled with awkwardness and silence. The one who breaks it is Jongdae, who apologizes for what his roommate said and tries to explain himself a little even though he has a hard time realizing Baekhyun goes to the same café as he does as he definitely fancy Mr. Tall guy. Junmyeon just smiles, his usual self as he raises a brown paper bag. “I brought some cupcakes from the store. If..I knew it was you I would have taken a slice of your favorite pie as well” and Junmyeon pouts, making Jongdae believe there isn’t anything more cute in this world than that and Junmyeon could mumble for hours things and still look good. He would never get bored. “Oh and also..you forgot this today” he takes out Jongdae’s wallet and the other can’t help it but to jump at Junmyeon, wrapping his sleek arms around him for a quick hug before pulling back and takes his wallet, kissing it happily, hearing the other chuckle at his gesture. “How should I even begin to thank you?” says Jongdae, looking up into his eyes as the other just shakes his head. “Nothing. Though my stomach needs food and quick.”. Jongdae only smiles, making his way to the kitchen along with his crush.

The dinner finishes as soon as it started, the four boys themselves having quite the appetite that night as they finish everything in their plates. Baekhyun, after losing a fair game of Rock, Paper, Scissors, is assigned to do the dishes even though he tried swooning Chanyeol into doing it. The tall boy now stands glued in front of the TV, watching a documentary of some sort.  Jongdae is in his room, putting the wallet safely under the pillow so he won’t ever lose it again. As he settled down on the bed Junmyeon makes his way inside the room, looking at the boy from the doorframe. “Already tired after dinner? Baekhyun wanted us to play some guys right after he is done with the dishes.”. Jongdae is a little startled by his presence but just smiles as he lifts himself up to sit on the bed. “Nah, we will probably play strip poker if I know Baekhyun and oh yes I do. Two solid years already.” he nodded, and then saw Junmyeon glance at his desk, smiling widely when his eyes laid on the small collection.  Jongdae facepalmed. “Yeah, I know. Lame for me to do that but I..” and he is cut off by Junmyeon making his way to also sit on the bed, right in front of him. “I think it’s cute. I collect different coffee flavors so we are more alike than you think.” he nodded, making Jongdae’s stomach do a flip. Before he could even answer to that he is met with the other boy’s face closer to his. “Why? Why come everyday, order the same thing, spend from a couple of minutes to hours only to come back tomorrow and so on?” and now Jongdae was faced with the big question. Damn. It was clever of Junmyeon to ask all of those at once. Handsome and sneaky. He loved it. “Well..besides the good coffee I found there I also…have another reason..and I keep coming back because of…” and there he was now, lips shut down by another pair, nose brushing against someone else’s and touching someone’s forehead. But it wasn’t just someone else. It was Junmyeon who had his lips pressed against Jongdae’s, kissing him hardly as a hand slowly made his way to his cheek, caressing it slowly. Jongdae only closed his eyes, enveloping himself in the warm feel for a few more seconds before the kiss was over.

A silence came over them but it was quickly pushed away by Junmyeon. “Why make me wait for one entire mouth and two days when I could have done that the second I saw you?”

Jongdae simply chuckles, his lips curving up into a wide smile as his hands wrapped around the barista’s neck to keep him close. “I wasn’t sure if I was coming back for you or the coffee. Now I know for sure.”