So Many Questions

Curiosity

    "Here you go, buddy," Xiumin smiled as he gave a toy to your one-year-old son, Lucas. He sat down on the couch to watch him play. All of a sudden, he felt someone jump on him.

     "Daddy!" Jacob squealed. Xiumin chuckled and picked up the three-year-old, placing him on his lap.

     "Hey, Jake. What's up?"

     "I'm bored, Daddy. Can we play? Please?" Jacob begged. Xiumin chuckled.

     "Sure. What do you want to do?"

     Jacob thought for a second, his eyes quickly lighting up. He ran off and came back with his favorite coloring book and what seemed to be a mountain of crayons.           "Woah there!" Xiumin remarked. "Got enough crayons there?" he asked with a smile.

     "Grandma gave me so many cool crayons. Look how many there are!" Jacob flopped onto his stomach, opening the book. Xiumin mimicked his motion. His son shoved a bright orange crayon into his hand.

     "You should do one, too," Jacob grinned.

     Lucas lost interest in his toy, watching his brother and his father intently. Jacob picked up Lucas, setting him down by his coloring page and giving him a crayon.          "Lucas can help me color mine," Jacob declared.

     "That's nice of you, buddy. You sure are a good big brother," Xiumin praised. Jacob didn't hear him as he was transfixed on the coloring page before him. Scribbles of red, blue, and an array of other colors melded into the artwork of a proud three-year-old. Lucas ran his crayon down the page every few seconds, again losing interest and settling on watching Jacob. Xiumin looked over.

     "That looks pretty cool. Do you wanna show me?"

     Jacob nodded excitedly, raising the book. He quickly pointed to each of the figures he drew.

     "That's Mommy, and you, and Lucas. And I'm over here, next to you."

     "You did a great job!" Xiumin told him.

     "Thanks, Daddy," Jacob cooed. He started coloring again, but he looked up a few minutes later.  "Daddy?"

     Xiumin looked over. "Yeah, Jake?"

     "How did you meet Mommy?"

     "Well," Xiumin started. "It was actually before a concert when I and the rest of Exo were performing. Mommy was doing our makeup before the show. She was a makeup artist. Do you know what that is?" Jacob nodded.

     "Yeah. But don't only girls wear makeup?"

     "Nah. Boys can wear it, too. Plus, we would've looked like ghosts under the stage lights while we were performing if Mommy hadn't done our makeup," Xiumin teased, causing Jacob to laugh.

     "Did you like Mommy when you met her?"

     "Did I like her? Yeah, I guess so-"

     "No, Daddy. Did you like like her?"

     "Oh," Xiumin grinned. "I guess you could say that."

     "Eww!" Jacob cried, making a gagging noise.

     "What?"

     "Aren't girls gross? And don't they have cooties?"

     "I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Cooties aren't real-"

     "They aren't?" Jacob inquired, shocked.

     Xiumin shook his head. "Nope. And some day, you might not think girls are so gross. I sure didn't think Mommy was gross."

     Jacob laughed. "Mommy's not gross. She's a grown-up."

     Xiumin chuckled. "If that's how you want to look at it."

     "Can we do something else now?" Jacob asked.

     "Alright. We just have to clean up here first," Xiumin told him.

     Jacob hurriedly closed up the coloring book and scooped up his crayons, running off to put them away. He came back holding a story book.

     "Will you read to me?" he asked Xiumin. Xiumin nodded. Jacob picked up Lucas again and held him on his lap as he leaned against Xiumin on the couch.

     "Which one do you want me to read?" Xiumin asked.

     "You can pick one," Jacob said.

     Xiumin chose a story about a knight saving a damsel in distress. Jacob's eyes grew wide with wonder, and he laughed as Xiumin did silly, different voices for each character. The story came to an end, with Jacob snuggling closer to his father.

     "I really like that story, Daddy."

     "You do, huh? It is a good one," Xiumin nodded.

     "Are you and Mommy like the princess and the knight?"

     "What do you mean?"

    "Did you and Mommy get married after you saved her from a tower?"

     Xiumin laughed. "Not quite."

     "Then why did you get married?"

     "When I met Mommy, she was very kind and beautiful. We dated for a long time, and then we realized we loved each other. I asked her to marry me, and we had a wedding a little while after that."

     "Was I born after that?"

     Xiumin nodded. "Actually, you were born after we had been married for about a year."

     "Did you want me to be born?" Jacob asked.

     "Of course! Mommy and I were so happy when we found out we were going to have you. I still remember how excited we were the first time we got to hold you."

     "Was I really little?"

     "You were pretty small, but you've sure grown up," Xiumin explained.

     Jacob smiled. "Mommy said I grew half an inch the last time she measured me." He ran over and pointed to the pencil mark on the doorway that indicated his height. He ran back over.

     "Yeah. You and Lucas are getting so big," Xiumin sighed.

     "Was Lucas little too when he was born?"

     "Yep. He was a little bigger than you, but not by much."

     Jacob nodded. "Daddy?"

     "Mhmm?"

     "Where did Lucas and I come from?" Jacob asked. Xiumin paused.

    "You mean you want to know where babies come from?" Xiumin aksed, immediately placing his hand over his mouth after he realized what he had just said. 

     "Yeah," Jacob smiled.

     "Well, babies come from their parents. They decide to have a baby, and then a few months later, a baby is born."

     Jacob looked suspicious. "Are you sure it's that easy?"

     "Well," Xiumin stopped to collect his thoughts. "Maybe not, but that's all you really need to know for now."

     "But why?" Jacob whined.

     "When you're older, you'll realize why," Xiumin assured him.

     "But how old do I have to be for you to tell me?"

     "It probably won't be for awhile. But that's okay. You've still got a lot to learn about being three."

     "Okay. But Daddy?"

    Xiumin looked at him. "What's up?"

     "Can we read another story, please? The one about the magician?"

     "Sure," Xiumin smiled, opening up the book to the page the story was on.

     "Thank you, Daddy. You're the best," Jacob grinned.

     "Thanks, Jake. I don't mind doing this for you. You're a pretty great kid."