Chapter 1: YG Project and first encounter

Mix and Match the new generation of YG artists

At YG headquarters

Hanna, Ha Yi and Soohyun were waiting in front of YG office, wondering why the big boss wanted to see the three of them. They were exchanging their theories, whispering to not disturb Yang Hyun Suk’s secretary.

“Maybe YG Sunbaenim wants us to collaborate for a single or a cover project. I’d like to work with the two of you. The life of a solo artist is lonely sometimes.” Ha Yi confessed.

“I don’t know! YG Sunbaenim is quite busy these days with Mix and Match. And I heard that Epik High will soon release their new album. YG is also preparing CL’s debut in the US. I’m not sure we are his priority at the moment.” Hanna remarked.

“I agree with Hanna. YG Sunbaenim’s mind is focused on CL, Epik High and the future IKON. He is also probably encouraging Big Bang to work on a new album for the end of the year or for the beginning of 2015. We are probably at the bottom of his list of priorities. But I would be delighted if he announced your comeback, Ha Yi Unni. I would love to hear new songs from you.” Soohyun smiled at the older girl.

“Omo! Soohyun is right! YG Sunbaenim will totally announce your comeback!! And we will feature in your album, that’s why we’re here.” Hanna clapped enthusiastically in her hands.

Ha Yi looked at her two dongsengs, thinking about their theory.

“I’m not sure! I didn’t hear anything about a comeback from my manager. He is usually the one who inform me about an upcoming new album. Sorry to disappoint you but I’m sure you’re wrong.” Ha Yi smiled sadly.

“Unni, don’t be sad. Your turn will come. YG was very busy debuting WINNER and us but I’m sure you will make a comeback soon, maybe just after Epik High.” Soohyun tried to comfort the girl she was almost considering as her older sister.

“No no! It’s quite certain IKON will debut just after Epik High comeback!” Ha Yi shook her head.

“Ha Yi Unni, be patient! YG Sunbaenim …”

“Ha Yi, Soohyun, Hanna! Yang Hyun Suk is now ready to receive you. Please come!” YG’s personal assistant said, interrupting Hanna’s attempt to comfort Ha Yi.

She opened the door of YG’s office and the three girls entered.

“Good morning ladies. Take a seat and I’ll explain the reason of your presence here.”

The three girls greeted their boss and took a seat. They were a bit nervous because of YG intimidating aura but YG looked calm.

“So, I won’t beat around the bushes.  You’re here because you all have amazing voices and I want to see you collaborate with a team of Mix and Match. In the next episode, I’ll form three teams and each team will be lead by a confirmed IKON member: Bobby, BI and Jinhwan. You will have to perform a song of your choice in front of a jury of skilled rappers, some from the company and some outsiders. This performance will be an important stage for all the trainees who are willing to integrate IKON’s final line-up and so I want you three to work very hard for the success of your own team.” YG explained his idea, scrutinizing the reaction of the three girls in front of him.

Hanna was shocked probably because she was still a trainee and didn’t expect such an honor. Ha Yi was smiling but it was obvious she was a bit disappointed, hearing that the meeting had nothing to do with a possible comeback. As for Soohyun, she was a bit worried since she never spent much time with the YG trainees before aside from Hanna and another girl.

“You must all wonder with which team you’ll work! I won’t let the suspense last any longer. Hanna you’ll work with Bobby’s team. Ha Yi, you’ll collaborate with IKON’s team leader BI and you Soohyun, you’ll team up with Jinhwan’s team.” YG finished his explanations.

Hanna’s relief was now visible on her face. She was quite close with Bobby and she believed it would be easier to work with him as they were already acquainted. Ha Yi was satisfied too because every reason to be closer with Hanbin was welcome. As for Soohyun, she was trying to remember which Team B member was Jinhwan. In the past, she followed the WIN survival program but she was more on the Team A side and so she didn’t pay close attention to the team B members. She could only remember BI and Bobby because of their “Show Me The Money” participation.

“Do you have any question?” YG broke the silence. “If not, you can leave. Your respective managers will contact you for the filming of “Mix and Match”. I’m sure you’ll work well with the guys. I expect you to.”

The three girls nodded.

“Okay! So if everything’s clear, you can go back to whatever you were doing before I interrupted you. Bye.” YG said, allowing them to leave.

The teenagers bowed before exiting YG’s office. They didn’t utter a word until they reached an empty corridor. When they were sure no one could hear them, they started chatting all at once.

“I’ll work with Bobby! I’m so excited to work with him since he is such an amazing rapper! I can’t wait to discover the other boys who will form our team!” Hanna squealed.

“Hanbin! I’ll have to work with him. I can’t believe it. He’s so full of himself and always so confident and arrogant. I’m sure we won’t be able to work together.” Ha Yi sighed.

The two other girls looked at her with an amused look.

“Oh please Ha Yi! We all know here that you are more than happy to be in Hanbin’s team!” Soohyun winked at a flushing Ha Yi.

“Ya Soohyun-ah! What are you trying to imply?” The older girl scolded her junior.

“Ha Yi-ah! Don’t be mad but you’re not very discrete and it’s quite obvious you have a serious crush on Hanbin.” Hanna sided with Soohyun.

Ha Yi rolled her eyes, trying to act cool but her red cheeks were giving her away.

“And you Soohyun! What do you think of your future teammate? Won’t you feel weird working with someone else than your brother?” Ha Yi asked, trying to change the subject of the conversation.

“Honestly, I don’t know! I don’t remember which one of the Team B members is Jinhwan. I just hope I’ll work well with him and the other trainees.” Soohyun confessed.

“I’m sure you will. And for Jinhwan, he is a cute looking vocalist who’s often wearing a beanie. You should check his profile on Internet or just visit the trainees’ practice room. I’ll introduce you.” Hanna proposed.

“No no it’s okay. I love surprises so I’ll just wait until the day of the filming.” Soohyun smiled.

They continued talking excitedly about their future participation in Mix and Match until they reached the entry of the YG building. Then, they said goodbye before parting ways, each of the girls returning to her original schedule of the day.

-------------------------------------------------

Today was the first day of filming for Mix and Match for the three girls. Each one of them was preparing to meet her respective team.

Soohyun’s POV

Just before entering the room where the team was, I felt my heart hammering into my chest but I tried to breathe deeply. I turned the doorknob, smoothed my hair one last time and opened the door.

“Calm down Soohyun! It’s nothing! You’ll just meet three guys. It’s okay! You’ll survive!” I repeated at myself mentally like a mantra.

When I entered, all the guys turned their attention towards me. I immediately spotted the guy with the beanie Hanna told me about. His smiling face reassured me. I looked at the two others and they were smiling as well. I walked towards them decidedly and sat down with them in the practice room, trying to ignore my anxiety and the intimidating presence of the cameras around us.

Jinhwan’s POV

My hands were shaking so I joined them on my laps to stop the shaking but unfortunately, I couldn’t do anything for my heart that started beating crazily into my chest when she entered the room. As soon as my eyes spotted her smiling face, I felt my heart quickening his path and my hands getting wet for no special reason. Thankfully, I didn’t blush but a stupid smile crept on my face when she sat with us. I looked at her and noticed that she was probably nervous. Indeed, she was shyly grinning at us, her eyes turned into two crescent moons and her cheeks slightly flushed. Stupidly, I burst into laughter, something between a worried laugh and a happy laugh and so I hid my face into my hands. I heard her laughing as well, probably because of the stress.

I heard someone coughing discreetly so I looked at my two teammates. They moved their eyes in Soohyun’s direction, encouraging me to welcome her. I gathered my courage before talking, hoping not to stutter.

“Hi Soohyun! Thanks for joining us! I hope we’ll work well together!” I said in one breathe.

“Hi everyone! I hope we’ll work well too!” She slightly bowed at us, her lips still turned upwards into a delightful smile.

My eyes stopped on her smile. She really had cute pink lips, plump and probably very smooth. I kept on contemplating her when suddenly, I felt someone nudging me. I snapped out of my thoughts and cleared my throat.

“So we don’t have much time to prepare this joint stage so I think we should start with the choice of the song.” I started, decided to work well for my teammates who were still not definite members of IKON.

It was definitely not the right moment to fantasize about a girl I just met.

“Huh sorry to interrupt! I’m okay to start working immediately but I would prefer to know your name before! It will be easier than calling you beanie guy, hat guy and no hat guy.” Soohyun grinned.

“Oh yes! Sorry! I forgot to introduce us to you! I’m…”

“Oh actually I know you! You’re Jinhwan, aren’t you?” She interrupted me.

When she pronounced my name, it took all my strength to suppress the foolish smile that was threatening to appear on my lips.

“Yes! And this is Yunhyung  and Jinhyung!” I introduced my two friends.

“Hi Soohyun Sunbae!” They both chorused.

She looked at them with a surprised expression.

“Please don’t call me Sunbae! It feels weird to me being called like that. I’m sure I’m younger than you so just call me Soohyun!” She grinned.

I thought about what she just said and something clicked into my mind! She was definitely younger than me, maybe a lot younger.

“How old are you Soohyun-ah? I’m sure you’re not the youngest in this room!” Jinhyung joked.

“I’m 15! How old are you Jinhyung?” Soohyun announced.

I froze at the mention of her age. Five years!!! She was five years younger than me. I was two years older than Chanhyuk.  I really needed to calm down.

“He’s 17! So, are we ready to start working now?” I ended the debate about everyone’s age.

Everyone nodded.

“Okay! So which song are you willing to present to the jury?” I lead the conversation towards our collaboration.

“What about a Justin Timberlake song?” Yunhyung proposed. “Suit and Tie?”

Everyone thought about it but nobody looked convinced.

“A Black Eyed Peas song?” Jinhyung tried.

“I heard Bobby’s team is rehearsing “Let’s get it started”! We can’t choose a Black Eyed Peas song too.” Yunhyung remarked.

“Yes you’re right! So? Any other idea?” Jinhyung added.

I was not really participating to the conversation I started as I was looking everywhere around me, trying to find some inspiration. When my eyes landed on Soohyun, the answer became obvious.

“Treasure!” I shouted.

Everyone turned their attention towards me.

“I mean “Treasure” from Bruno Mars! What do you think? Great or great?” I said excitedly.

“I love this song!” Soohyun clapped her hands enthusiastically.

“A treasure who loves “Treasure”? Quite normal!” I thought before shaking my head to clear my mind.

“Guys? Your opinion?” I decided to turn my attention towards my teammates.

They both nodded in approval.

“Great! So let start the rehearsal! We should try to divide the parts of the songs between the four of us and then start working with the vocal trainer! Let’s go!!!” I encouraged everyone.

---------------------------------------------------

End of this first chapter ^^

Your first impression on this fic? I hope I didn’t disappoint you!

I’ll upload the next chapter soon so be patient!

Thanks for reading!