Some People were Made for Each Other

Sorry, I Love You

 

October 10, 2014 00:01 A.M.

Happy birthday!
Am I first?

You are the first one.
Thanks anyway, Kim.

Look out at your window and you’ll find a good present.

 

No way!

I widened my eyes as the thought of him coming to my house sneaked in to my head. Quickly, I jumped out of my bed and ran to my window just to see him standing out there. He was smiling; on his hand was probably a box of birthday cake and a guitar case slung across his shoulder.

Looking at him in a daze, I slide my window open to let him stepped inside.

It’s midnight. I said to him.

“No, it’s your birthday.” His eyes smiled and he got dimples when he smiled and it was enough to make my heart thumping faster. Even I hated him for he has the ability to make me somehow nervous, I never hated his smile. It was very beautiful. His smile was my favorite.

Through his eyes, I could see his stubbornness and a glimpse of sincerity as well. I knew he must be tired from his tasks and activities in campus, but he was still doing this. He wasn’t that boy in the campus who would just go home after classes, but he was the boy who has so many activities—from photography to soccer—and he got his own unofficial fanclub. Yeah, he got some girls following him around and giving him presents.

 Myungsoo put down his guitar on the floor as he sat down and unboxed the birthday cake. Watching him putting on and lighting those candles, I sat down in front of him.

Normally, I would tell him that he didn’t need to do this in the midnight, but I knew he wouldn’t like it and he’d insist doing it. Myungsoo, like I’d said, he was stubborn.

Where’s my present? I asked him, joking.

“Right in front of you.” He looked up at me, smiling, and he lifted up the cake. “Happy birthday Soo Ji, happy birthday Soo Ji. Happy birthday, happy birthday. Happy birthday, Dear Soo JI.”

Dear Soo Ji. I liked how it rolled out of his tongue. It sounded very beautiful.

“Make a wish and blow the candles.”

I closed my eyes and did as he told. When I opened my eyes again, he was still looking at me, he was still smiling, and he was still making my heart thumping nervously.

“I wish you mentioned my name in your wish-list.”

I stuck out my tongue at him.

That’s for you to wonder. I smiled playfully before blowing off the candle. My room, suddenly darken and I barely able to look at him. The only lighting we had was only the dim moonlight sneaked in between my curtains.

I heard Myungsoo had put down the cake and opened his guitar case. He, then, laid his back on the edge of my bed as he settled his guitar on his leg. I followed his action. When Myungsoo turned his head to me, I thought we were a little bit too close I could see his eyes color—dark chocolate. Nevertheless, I felt completely comfortable sitting so close with him.

“Do you want to hear something?”

I nodded. As he played his guitar, I know he’d sing that song.

It was an old song by Van Morrison. I wasn’t a big fan of him, neither I had his song. I just knew it must be that song because Myungsoo had been singing it to me over the phone.

Listening to him, I laid my head on his shoulder.

Have I told you lately that I love you
Have I told you there’s no one above you
Fill my heart with gladness
Take away my sadness
Ease my troubles, that’s what you do

Just like always, Myungsoo only sang that part. He repeated it again twice before put down his guitar, rested his head on top of mine and we stayed like that for a moment. We listened to each other’s breath and the ticking clock.

“Soo Ji?” he called my name.

I looked up at Myungsoo, implying him to keep going.

“Can we sit together at lunch later?”

Our eyes met and I just wanted to stare at him longer, without answering his question. I lifted up my hand, reaching for his face and fixed his bangs.

“Can I?” he asked again.

I shifted my eyes to divert my attention from Myungsoo before simply shook my head. From the corner of my eyes, I could see how he hung his head low. I, once again, disappointing him.

Sorry.

Myungsoo silently grabbed my hand and rubbed it, telling me it was okay. “Can I at least stay here until morning?”

Looking at my room door, I hesitated and he knew it.

“I promise I’ll leave before the sun rise and your grandma will not know.” He smiled again, assuring me.

To be honest, I didn’t want him to leave so soon, so I said yes.

“Thank you,” he said.

Myungsoo cupped my face and he kissed my forehead. “I love you, Soo Ji.”

I gratefully smiled as he patted my head. Then I laid my head again on his shoulder and linked my arm on his. I snuggled as the wind blew in to my room and Myungsoo changed our position, protectively slung his arm around me as he let me laid my head on his chest.

“Do you want something else for your birthday?” he asked, patting my head.

As an answer, I shook my head and sneaked my hands around his waist, embracing him tightly. I closed my eyes as Myungsoo traced his fingers down from my head to my cheek. He my cheek affectionately as he hummed a lullaby.

Good night, Myungsoo.

Good night, Dear Soo Ji.”

Hesitated, I looked up at him while Myungsoo was looking at me, puzzled. But I smiled at him and confusion in his eyes had gone, replaced by his eye smile as he once again showing off his dimple. Then I planted a soft kiss on his cheek before burying my face on his chest again.

I decided, it was the best way to show him my gratitude and affection to him.

Because Myungsoo had always been telling me he loved me.
Kissing me on forehead, to keep me thinking of him even when we weren’t together.

It was just me, who hadn’t.

 


 

I wish you would leave me some comments or hit the subscribe and upvote button.
Please let me know if you read this story. :)