Chapter Three

Gentlemen of the Jury

"Wait, you're saying there were two of me running around? That's impossible." Chanyeol crossed his arms and looked between me and Kris, daring us to contradict him.

Neither of us did, of course, because he was absolutely right. "I'm sure it's just a harmless prank," said Kris, but if the furrow between his eyebrows was any indication, he didn't really believe it either.

I shook my head. "Someone knows. About the trial. About everything."

"Yes," snapped Kris, as Chanyeol opened his mouth to retort as well. "Someone knows that a jury of twelve people found a man guilty of and murdering a sixteen-year-old girl. That man was executed after his appeal failed. That is common knowledge."

I lowered my voice, despite the closed door. After all, it was pretty idiotic to be confessing to jury tampering inside a police station. I was just full of bright ideas today. "We were persuaded, but not by the evidence. What if someone knows that?" I looked at the two of them, who refused to meet my eyes, though neither looked particularly ashamed. Neither of them had even an echo of Luhan's teary-eyed mumble of "What we did...it was wrong."

"If someone knew, they would be doing a lot worse than playing pranks on us," Kris replied. 

But Chanyeol locked eyes with me and I could see that he was starting to understand my train of thought. "Unless that's just the beginning." He sprang up from his chair and began pacing the room, to Kris's clear annoyance. "The only people who know about this are the twelve of us- well, eleven now, and the person who paid us off. And the dead man. He probably figured it out. We knew he was irrefutably innocent and still-"

"In case you've forgotten, that man is dead, you moron," snapped Kris.

"But he had a family," Chanyeol retorted. "Friends. People he could have shared his suspicions with, who want to avenge him now."

"You're still jumping to conclusions," Kris shot back. "As far as we can tell, Luhan died of alcohol poisoning. It's suspicious, but all people react differently to alcohol."

I ignored him and turned back to Chanyeol. "I don't think it's that big. What about the guy who paid us off? Maybe Luhan found out who he was and he had the kid silenced so that no one would figure out he had bribed the jury?

Kris slammed his hand down on the table and I jumped. "That's it. Both of you, get out of my office. I'm not going to sit here and let you ramble on about silencing people and taking bribes when we have done nothing wrong." He emphasized the last five words, dragging them out slowly and I felt a shiver run up my spine. I had seem him get angry once, verbally tearing someone else to pieces and I did not want to be on the receiving end of that.

"We'll leave," Chanyeol said slowly, in the tone one might use around a rabid animal. "But do us a favor first, and confirm something. If you're sure, absolutely sure that Luhan died of alcohol poisoning, then you're right, we were wrong, and you'll never see or hear from us again."

I had to hide a grin behind my hand. I recognized his special version of the puppy dog eyes, used in this case to abate Kris's anger, rather than wheedle information out of an unsuspecting person. And I think Kris recognized it too, because he eventually conceded to its power. "Fine," he said. "The tox report should be coming out soon. In the meantime, you two find somewhere to stay and don't come back unless I tell you to."

"Can I stay here?" asked Chanyeol. "I need to borrow a computer."

Kris rolled his eyes. "Fine." He stormed out of the room and slammed the door behind him.

"Why do you need to use his computer?" I plopped down in a wooden chair and shifted, trying to make myself more comfortable. One of the legs of the chair was shorter than the others, so it kept rocking back and forth. This, I thought, seemed more like psychological warfare, designed to put witnesses on edge and make them slip up. It was also possible that Kris just had a lousy taste in furniture.

"To access the police database," Chanyeol replied. "I want to look up the other jurors first and see if anything has happened to them over the past year."

"You lied to a police officer? To his face?"

"I'm not under oath." He pulled out several desk drawers, before spotting a yellow sticky note in one of them and typed in the combination of letters and numbers written on it, grinning as the word "Welcome" appeared on the computer screen.

"So you believe me now?" I asked

"Not sure if I believe you, Chen," he replied. "But things are definitely getting a little strange and I want to look into them.


 

"Tox report is back," Kris announced as he walked through the door. "It seems that Luhan had been taking sleeping pills along with-" He frowned and I grinned sheepishly from my perch at Chanyeol's elbow, where I had been peering over his shoulder at his work. Chanyeol didn't even look up until Kris slammed the door again.

"Hacking into police files? Do you want me to arrest you?"

"I'm not hacking," Chanyeol retorted. "Not if you leave the password lying around, anyway. You should really think about changing it. I don't think 'Canada123' is enough, especially since most people know you're from Canada."

Kris's face was starting to turn red and to ward off the impending explosion, Chanyeol quickly held up a hand. "Take a look at this." He held up his notebook, where he had made some hasty scribbles that I couldn't decipher.

"What is that?"

"Financial information for all the people who were on the jury with us," Chanyeol replied. "All of us were having money problems before the trial, and all the money problems went away after the trial." 

"How did you find those?" demanded Kris.

Chanyeol shrugged. "I figured that the only reason we could be bribed was because we all needed the money for something."

I doubted that was the only reason, but I let him keep talking.

"Anyway, that's not even the most interesting part. Most of us have run back into debt, except this guy." He clicked on a tab on the screen he'd been staring at and a photograph of a young man with fluffy blond hair with one dark streak popped up. "Oh Sehun. He's been doing very well, compared to the rest of us." He glanced up at Kris with a smirk. "What did you spend the money on, by the way?"

"What does this have to do with anything?" Kris snapped. "Luhan's tox report came back positive for sedatives. He was mixing the pills with alcohol, which can lead to a coma. It's an accidental death, or a suicide."

We both fell silent as he looked between the two of us. "Just because Sehun's doing well financially and we're not doesn't mean anything. He may just be good with money, which isn't a crime."

Chanyeol sighed deeply and shoved his hands into his pockets. "You're right. Sorry. Sorry for wasting your time and for, uh..." He jerked a thumb at the computer.

Kris just shook his head as he came forward and clicked all the windows shut. "It's fine. Get out of here."

"Sorry," Chanyeol mumbled again. He looked at me and tilted his head at the door, and I followed him outside.

"What?"

"Are you busy this afternoon?" he asked.

"Not really. Why?"

"We're going to Oh Sehun's place. Come on."

I stared at him as he turned briskly and headed out into the parking lot, again struggling to keep up with his pace. "Why are we going to his place?"

"I've got a hunch," he replied. "I know that's a lame excuse, but I just want to see for myself how he's actually doing."

"Why were you investigating him instead of the defendant?"

A strange look crossed his face. "I don't know," he admitted. "I started searching for the defendant, but I couldn't...couldn't find anything."

"He has to have a police record," I said, climbing into the passenger seat. "I mean, he was charged with murder and-"

"I couldn't find anything," Chanyeol repeated, an edge to his voice. I had barely buckled myself in when he careened out of the parking lot.

Oh Sehun is, unfortunately, an artist. He lives in the eclectic, hipster side of town, which I try to avoid with all my heart, body, and soul, only venturing in when the necessity arises. I looked up the address on my phone and we drove in silence, with me interrupting it every once in a while to give Chanyeol directions.

As we neared the apartment building, Chanyeol frowned, leaning over to check the address written on my notebook before comparing it to the one on the sign in front of the building. "This is the place," he said.

I could understand his hesitation. The dilapidated building looked nothing like the place a man who had been gifted a large sum of money would be living.

Chanyeol rang every buzzer in the building before one person finally picked up. "Hi, I have a delivery," he said. There was a click as the door unlocked.

We headed up the stairs to the sixth floor and down the hall. As we neared Sehun's door, I could hear the sound of running water. Chanyeol knocked, but there was no response. "Maybe we should come back later." I took a step back, then stared down underneath the door, where water was leaking out.

Chanyeol yanked the unlocked door open and we both ran for the bathroom. There, lying facedown in the tub, was Oh Sehun. I nearly slipped as I ran to the bathtub. Hooking my hand under his armpit, I managed to turn him over as Chanyeol grabbed his leg and together, we dragged him out onto the wet tile floor. "Call 911," hissed chanyeol as he immediately began CPR. I shut off the water and raised my phone to my ear, unable to tear my eyes away from the jolting of Sehun's body as Chanyeol frantically pounded on his chest.