Emotional

The Distance Between

 

 

Jessica threw her hands up and proclaimed, “I am done with love!”

From the computer screen in front of the girl came a hearty laugh, “What happened?”

The infuriated girl started pacing around the room, “Always the same thing. They say ‘I love you’ but then go around flirting with other girls. The word love is ambiguous. I won’t deal with its depths of lies anymore!”

The girl on the computer was trying to take the girl seriously but laughter threatened to befall the conversation, “Maybe you should write a book. Your word usage and philosophical ideas seem to have expanded on this subject.”

Jessica sat down on her chair in front of her computer and looked at the girl on the other end very seriously, “You are mocking me again Taengoo....why can’t you take my love life seriously for once?”

A dimpled smile appeared on the screen, “I am really! It is just you say the same thing after every failed relationship but you then become lovestruck all over again when a new person comes along.”

“I do not!”

“Of course you do! I have no other advice for you other than the right one will come. Don’t give up Sica.”

Jessica sighed and buried her face in her hands, “Who would want to date me anyway?”

“Sica you have had plenty of dates that isn’t the problem. Maybe your outlook is wrong?”

“How so?”

“Well you always date as if planning your wedding and future with that person.”

“At our age shouldn’t we do that? My eggs are going to die soon.”

“Just date and see what you want out of the relationship. They will fail and it isn’t the end of the world if it does. Just figure out what you want from the person and what you are willing to sacrifice for the relationship. I mean not everyone is going to be your Daniel Henney.”

A giggle finally came from the girl who was venting just a few seconds ago, “Taengoo...why can’t you be here with me? I miss your advice and unusual sense of humor.”

“You know why.”

“I know but I want you here now.”

“I have no plans of coming back Sica.”

“You are so selfish leaving me here while you go study at NYU and decide to stay for work.”

The girl on the computer rolled her eyes, “And you are selfish for going to study in Paris and then leaving to live in Hong Kong.”

Jessica puffed her cheeks in annoyance, “You should just follow me!”

“Yep selfish selfish Sica.”

“What is selfish about wanting my best friend close to me at all times?”

“Maybe by ignoring your best friend’s dream of being a successful photographer?”

“You could do that here too.”

“Yea well you can do fashion in New York too.”

A smile crept up on Jessica’s face, “Are you telling me that you want me there with you now?”

“You said that not me. I can only deal with your failed relationships over the computer. I can’t have you sticking around me all the time when you get depressed.”

“I do not cling!”

“With your old age, your memory fails too!” The girl on the computer was about to roll on the floor laughing which just irritated the other person in the conversation.

Jessica was getting pissed off at her friend so she just shut her laptop, “Stupid Taengoo.”

 

-------------------------

 

Taeyeon saw the call get cut off, “Oh did I push her too far this time?” Quickly she tried calling the girl again but it failed each time. With a heavy sigh, Taeyeon closed her laptop and got up to ready herself for work. Living on the other side of the world to her best friend always required one to get up early while the other called after work. Since Taeyeon’s friend Jessica loved her sleep in the morning, it was always Taeyeon who had to get up earlier than usual to talk to her. The two have been good friends as long as either could remember but the past 6 years, they lived on the opposite sides of the world but they never let their friendship falter. The key to their lasting and long friendship was the agreement to call each other at least twice a week for a face-to-face talk, but they always used various apps to communicate throughout the day. This made the distance between them seem nonexistent…or so it may seem.

Taeyeon made it to her studio with coffee in one hand while she held a stack of still-shots in her other. “Morning Tae.”

Taeyeon smiled at her secretary, “Morning.”

“Tae your client will arrive in 30 minutes and then your plane leaves in 4 hours so don’t forget your passport!” Taeyeon’s secretary gave Taeyeon her passport before Taeyeon started to walk away, “Wait Tae! Your tickets too!” Taeyeon went back and got her tickets.

“Thanks. I should get to the meeting.”

With a skillful balancing act, Taeyeon managed to get her keys out of her pocket as she held the coffee cup in while she fished out her keys from her pocket before unlocking her office door. She set down the stack of papers before sitting down in her chair and turning on her computer. As the computer , Taeyeon gave a sly smile to the picture she used as her background. So many memories encompassed the picture of her and Jessica on their high school graduation trip to Jinju but it was bittersweet because both went their separate ways after that.

Finishing her meeting, Taeyeon headed to the airport with a huge grin. It was because she was going to Taiwan today for a photo shoot and she took some vacation time to stay longer as she planned to fly to Hong Kong and surprise Jessica. Opportunities like this were rare so when she saw she would finally be close to her friend, she took action to make sure she could see Jessica again. Last time, Jessica surprised Taeyeon by going to fashion week in New York but that was two years ago and not once had Taeyeon gone to Hong Kong to visit Jessica. Yet all this excitement made the long plane ride seem even longer.

 

---------------------

 

Jessica ran from the design room to the publishing office. She was on a deadline to finish the design set for a magazine pictorial her company was releasing on the new line of autumn wear. It wasn’t really her job to be doing these errands but her assistant had to get sick during the middle of the new design launch making Jessica do her job as head designer and all the back breaking work. Sure she could use her power to make one of the designers do this type of work but with the importance of this line, Jessica only trusted herself and her assistant who has been working her for 4 years now.

“Jessica!”

Jessica turned to see who was calling her name but instead it caused her to collide with a sturdy male and all the papers went scattering across the floor, “Are you okay?”
Jessica looked up into some dreamy eyes. Yes the poor girl was love-struck again and it had only been one week since her recent break up, “Fffiine...”

The man smiled, “That is good.” Both Jessica and the man picked up the papers that Jessica dropped while the woman who called Jessica ran up to her.

“Jessica here.”

Jessica stopped picking up the papers and looked at the notice, “What the? Really? Now?”

“I just deliver the messages.”

Jessica rubbed her temple, “Fine. Do you have time to take this to print then?”

“Of course.”

Jessica turned to the man that helped her, “I am sorry. Thanks for the help.”

The man smiled, “No worries. My name is Henry.” Quickly the man pulled out his business card, “If you ever need to repay me with dinner.”

Jessica kept her cool although she was spazzing on the inside for getting the man’s contact information, “I might take you up on that offer. Thanks again.” Since Jessica was in a hurry she quickly left the building and went to take a cab.

 

“Miss Jung you may enter.” Jessica quickly got up from her seat and entered the double doors into the executive office.  Coming to this office wasn’t something that most of the workers wanted because it meant they did something bad and on rare occasions for good things but there was no grey area. It was like an invitation to this office meant you get fired or get a promotion. “Miss Jung you can take a seat.”

Jessica was surprised she was not alone with the President but in fact, she was with the Head of Marketing, Editor in Chief of their Promotional Department and Chief Media Director. “Miss Jung we don’t have much time. All the photographers went on strike and the Chief Media Director here has to go to Mulan in a few hours to bring in two replacement photographers however we have 5 scheduled photo shoots before they arrive. We need a fast replacement and we need you to find one. If you do this successfully, we might be talking about a promotion for you as a chief head designer for any of our regional offices.”

Jessica was in a daze with this new information that was being thrown at her, “Umm why me?”
“Don’t think your work has gone unnoticed. We see great potential in you.”

“Wow thanks. I will do my best to find a photographer that can fit the image of our brand.”

“Tomorrow. You need one by tomorrow for a shoot at 8am. You are dismissed.”

Jessica left the room dumbfounded. She had only one day to find a replacement during the middle of some stupid visual arts strike that was going on in Hong Kong at the moment. All she could wish for is a miracle at the moment it seems.

 

It was the end of the day already and Jessica failed miserably in finding a photographer, “Miss Jung?”

Jessica looked up from her computer with a horrifying glare, “Yea what is it?”

“A Ms. Kim is waiting to see you.”

“Does she have an appointment?”

“No mam.”

“Then turn her away. I am too busy for visitors.”

“Will do Miss Jung.”

Jessica went back on her hunt for a photographer, but was interrupted again when her door flew open. “I am sorry Miss Jung she just barged in.”

Jessica sighed before looking over her computer but her gloomy nature went to pure shock, “Tae...yeon?”

“How could you turn down your friend from seeing you?!”

Jessica sprung up from her desk and tackled the girl, “Oh my goodness you are my life saver!”

Taeyeon hugged her friend back, “Life saver? Are you really that happy to see me?”

Jessica pushed Taeyeon back and looked her the girl in her eyes, “I am desperate for your help and you will help me.”

“What? I just flew here to see you and have some fun...”

“Taeyeon no talking. Just listen.” Jessica went on about her situation and Taeyeon agreed if she could be paid with one favor back from Jessica. Of course out of desperation, Jessica agreed to any conditions Taeyeon had.

 

“You know you look like crap.”

“Such charmer like usual Taeyeon.”

“Just expressing what I see.”

Jessica gave her friend a glare before opening the door to her flat. “Sorry it is a mess. I didn’t know you were going to be coming. By the way why didn’t you say you were coming last time we spoke?”

Taeyeon laughed as she looked around the apartment, “Are you running a laundry mat? I mean look at all these clothes!”

“Yah! Stop criticizing or I will let you sleep on the streets.”

Taeyeon stopped and picked up a bra, “Oh who are you trying to impress with this? So y.”

Quickly Jessica grabbed the undergarment, “Not mine! Most of these are for the company.”

“Humm figures. You wouldn’t have anything y like that.”

“What would you know?” Taeyeon gave Jessica a suggestive look, but she received a pillow in the face by Jessica before another comment came out of .

Taeyeon got the grand tour of the flat and settled in before Jessica and Taeyeon found themselves on the sofa watching a movie, but the two didn’t seem too interested in the movie as they talked through most of it. “How is your book going?”

Jessica looked at her friend beside her, “What book?”

“The one about love.” Jessica sighed and smiled lovingly, “Oh no...it happened again?”

“It didn’t just happen, but is fate.”

Taeyeon leaned her head back and looked at the ceiling, “Name, occupation, first met...”

“Henry. We ran into each other at the publication office where he works.”

“Let me guess. Great build, dreamy eyes, and a charmer like me.”

“Yea...wait...nothing like you.” Jessica glared at Taeyeon while the other girl looked displeased about Jessica’s new love interest.

Taeyeon feigned a yawn, “I am going to bed.”

Jessica quickly got up with Taeyeon, “What? It is only 11pm and the movie isn’t over.”

Taeyeon turned around and exhaled, “I must still have jetlag and you said it is an early shoot tomorrow. Also we watched this movie like 50 times together in high school. I can afford to not finish it for the 51st time.”

“Ah okay...umm rest well. I have some work to do before bed.”

“Yea good night.”

Jessica remained standing while she watched Taeyeon disappear into the bedroom, ‘I was hoping to spend more time with you since you just got here. I missed you Taeyeon...’ When Jessica saw the lights go off in the room, she woke from her trance and got out her laptop to do some work before slipping under the covers with Taeyeon.

 

-----------------

 

Jessica had a smile plastered on her face as she watched Taeyeon from the side. She watched the girl as she instructed the models, burred her face in the camera, furrowed her brows as she watched the monitor, or pouted her lips as she thought about the concepts while looking at the clothing. Everything about Taeyeon at work made Jessica wonder how they spent so many years apart because right now she liked the closeness so much, so very much.

“So this is where you hide now?”

Jessica nearly had a heart attack as the person snuck up behind her, “Henry?”

“Ah you remembered my name?”
“Of course it was only yesterday since we had that little accident together.” Jessica now turned her attention away from Taeyeon and blushed while facing Henry.

“Have you thought about dinner possibly or maybe a name?”

“Oh where are my manners! I am Jessica Jung.”

The boy gave Jessica a bright smile, “Nice to meet you Jessica. Umm do you work with the visual team?”

“No. I am a designer. I am here to oversee the new photographer today.”

Henry looked over Jessica’s shoulder at Taeyeon, “She looks young.”

Jessica laughed hearing the same thing everyone says about her friend, “She gets that a lot, but she is more than experienced for this job.”

“Oh really? Where did you find her with the strike going on?”

“She works out of New York.”

Henry folded his arms, “Oh wow. How did you get someone from there on short notice?”

“Well she is...wait...how did you know about the photographer situation?”

Henry gave a hearty laugh, “You caught me. I am the Editor in Chief of the magazine. I have to know things like this.”

“Oh wow. I never would have expected...I mean you look so young too.”

“Well thank you.”

 

While Jessica and Henry were having their little conversation, a pair of eyes were watching the interaction intently, “Looks like Jessica moved on...” The girl continued to click her camera and get the shots but her mind was not focused on the model, “Why are you so concerned...she is happy.” The camera clicked a few more times before Taeyeon looked up again and signaled for a break. She knew it was useless to continue working with her head thinking about Jessica so she left to get something to drink. Anything to get away from Jessica giggling in the background.

 

Jessica was so engrossed in her conversation that she didn’t notice the group went on break until the models started roaming around and chatting. Her eyes glanced over to the camera but she didn’t see her friend behind it anymore, “where is she?”

Henry saw Jessica looking lost, “Something bothering you Jessica?”

“Umm I have to find the photographer...I will contact you later Henry.” Without even a glance at Henry, Jessica went off on her search for Taeyeon. She searched frantically around the studio but didn’t find the girl so she went outside to see if Taeyeon went to her normal hiding places like the staircase. It was weird that the girl always went to the staircase when she was troubled but she told Jessica before that it was the only quiet place in the whole school. Jessica found the staircase and made her way up where she finally found Taeyeon, “You having trouble with the shoot?”

Taeyeon looked up at Jessica, “No it is fine.”

“What is bothering you then? I don’t see you in here unless you have something on your mind.”

“Nothing really.”

Jessica sighed and made her way up to Taeyeon. She placed her hand on Taeyeon’s face so the girl would look up at her, “Taeyeon although we may be apart, your actions still haven’t changed. You still hide in the staircase when you are troubled, you don’t look in my eyes when you lie, and you have a horrible habit of keeping your secrets locked up.”

Taeyeon smiled slightly hearing her friend taking careful notes on her but her smile quickly turned around when she thought of the reason she went into hiding and why she was always keeping her secrets locked away. “I can’t always be open like you Jessica.” Taeyeon quickly removed Jessica’s hand from her face and backed away. “I should get back to work.”

Jessica watched as Taeyeon left the staircase, “I will get it out of you Taeyeon...”

 

“That is a wrap!” Taeyeon smiled and thanks the models and crew for their hard work before Jessica came up next to her.

“I knew I hired a good photographer.”

Taeyeon was still thinking about Jessica and Henry’s interaction from earlier so she wasn’t in the mood to act all hyper around Jessica like she usually does, “Thanks.”

“Thanks? That is all?”

Taeyeon sighed, “Yea...I am tired.”

Jessica furrowed her brows before grabbing Taeyeon’s arm, “No time to be tired. We are going out to celebrate your first job in Hong Kong.”

Taeyeon tried to resist Jessica from dragging her, “Wait what? Celebrate?”

“You heard me Kim Taeyeon. We are going to celebrate.”

 

--------------------

 

“What kind of celebration is this?”

Jessica placed some food in before pouring Taeyeon a glass of alcohol, “What do you mean, alcohol is a great celebration treat.”

“No. Cake is a good treat for celebration. We should just get cake and call it a night.”

Jessica on her second shot was already feeling tipsy, “No! Celebrate Hong Kong style!”

Seeing her friend already feeling the effects of the alcohol, Taeyeon sighed and took a shot, “Hong Kong should learn to celebrate with cake.”

Jessica giggled as she poured Taeyeon another shot and then held up hers, “Congrats on your first job in Hong Kong and for meeting your beautiful childhood friend again!”

Taeyeon laughed but downed her shot with Jessica. The burning sensation of the alcohol made Taeyeon cringe but as the night went on, the alcohol became more bearable as both girls went into a state of drunkenness.

 

Taeyeon managed to get Jessica back home safely as they stumbled into Jessica’s flat. Both were dead tired so they headed towards the bedroom to read themselves for sleep. Taeyeon finished first so she tucked herself into bed before reviewing her mail on her phone. Jessica went into the bedroom but she leaned on the wall looking at Taeyeon, “Tae...do you want to tell me now what happened at the photo shoot.” Unknown to Taeyeon, Jessica didn’t really drink much tonight but had plans of using the alcohol to have Taeyeon tell her what was bothering the girl earlier.

Taeyeon looked up at Jessica and got out of bed, “I told you nothing. I will sleep on the couch.”

Jessica saw Taeyeon trying to escape the situation so she blocked the girl from leaving, “Tae...please tell me. You always told me your secrets in high school.”

“Then and now I didn’t tell you all my secrets. Today won’t be different.”

Jessica went towards Taeyeon and cupped her face so the girl would stop avoiding her gaze, “Why do you always lie to me Kim Taeyeon. What are you so afraid of telling me? Are you afraid of only telling me?”

“You will leave...”

“I will leave? I am not leaving right now.”

“No if I tell. You will leave.”

“How could you believe that? We never let distance be a factor in our friendship.”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica seriously, “You don’t get it. If I do this, you leave.” Taeyeon leaned in and kissed Jessica on the lips softly before retreating, “But I leave first.” Taeyeon took her purse and jacket and stumbled out of Jessica’s flat although she was still suffering from her alcoholic daze. On the other hand, Jessica was too stunned that she didn’t even hear Taeyeon leave her flat.