Coffee Shop Sparks

1991

Dongwoon pulled up in front of his favorite coffee shop to get his much needed caffeine fix. It was his first free day after busily promoting their new album and his draining energy required some serious coffee. The bell rang as he opened the door, greeted by the staff who knew him as a regular customer. He approached the counter and before he could even look at the menu, the cashier already blurted out his favorite drink.

"Would that be a cup of caramel macchiato?" the lady asked, giddy about being able to serve the Caucasian-looking idol. Dongwoon let out a soft chuckle, his smile lopsided. "That's what I like about you, Sera," he joked. "You know me well." He winked as he grabbed his wallet. Sera, the cashier, was already writing 'Namshin' on Dongwoon's cup, a nickname almost everyone acknowledges.

The tall visual leaned against the counter as he waited for his drink, fiddling with his phone and playing some games to pass time by. Concentrated on the game, it took him two calls before he heard "Shin" being called. He walked towards the pick-up area, excited to get his high on, but instead of placing his hand on a smooth and warm cup, he felt a soft and velvety hand instead.

Looking up and realizing his action, he withdrew his hand immediately. Facing him was a familiar face and figure: tall and beautiful with an elegant smile and a perfect posture. It was fellow '91-liner, After School's Nana whom he was never chummy with. Embarrassed, he slightly bowed and apologized. Nana demurely smiled. "It's probably yours," she said, letting go of the cup. Sera approached the two to clear things out. 

"This is for Yeoshin," she exclaimed. She looked at Dongwoon and reassured him, "Yours is coming in 10 seconds". True enough, another cup was set in the pick-up area before Nana could even leave. "For Namshin!" Dongwoon picked it up right away and thanked the barista.

"Namshin and Yeoshin. That's pretty cute," Nana smiled as Dongwoon took his first sip, walking together towards a table near the window. He chuckled. "Hey, I'm sorry about awhile ago. I guess I wasn't listening enough."

"Too busy looking at your very handsome image?" Nana teased, smirking while raising an eyebrow. Dongwoon laughed as he pulled a chair for Nana. "That and I was playing some games," he nodded then seated himself after the girl did. Nana was blowing on her coffee while Dongwoon was just staring at her face. He has seen numerous beautiful girls like Nana but somehow, she makes him nervous in a particular kind of way.

Nana, on the hand, felt awkward. She knew the older guy was looking at her and although she was used to being given attention by other guys, this felt more uncomfortable knowing those eyes belong to the guy she has been secretly crushing on ever since BEAST debuted. She felt weight was taken off her shoulders once she noticed Dongwoon removing his sight from her and transferring it to the view outside instead.

Save for Brother Su's chill It Was You playing in the background and the soft sound of the blender from the coffee counter, everything was silent. Unawaringly, the two smiled simultaneously as they both realized the coziness each was giving to the other. Dongwoon broke the silence by confessing, "So it only took a mistaken cup of coffee to know that you are actually a nice person. To be honest, I've always thought you were intimidating, hence the cold shoulder."

Nana bit her lip gently, looking for a way to explain that the snobby aura was probably because of the shyness rooting from her fascination for him. "To be fair, I should have tried to approach you too," she said. "But you were this strongly outgoing guy everyone loved hanging out with and I was too scared that I wasn't fun enough for you."

"Are you kidding me? Anyone who compliments my looks is fun enough for me," Dongwoon joked, winking at Nana. "How does a walk in the beach sound?" he randomly continued. "I definitely would like to know more about you, Im Jinah." 

Nana blushed. It was the first time someone was actually interested in her beyond her goddess looks. And the beach sounded much more perfect than a booked room in a hotel. To top that, she was in company with Dongwoon. The two got up, chattering their way out, leaving sparks in the coffee shop.