Deja Vu

The Black Knight's Tale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cha Eun Sang looked outside the huge window that made up one entire wall of the plush office on the top floor of the building that housed the corporate headquarters of the Jeguk Group. Every corner of the meticulous office reeked of money, prestige and power that only the person who sat behind the shiny desk that sat in front of the window could wield. It was positioned to impress so that any visitor entering the office would see the Chairman sitting against the backdrop of Seoul’s downtown cityscape. Cha Eun Sang was leaning against the back of that venerable chair with unseeing eyes. She glared at the stillness outside. It was too early for the downtown district but Cha Eun Sang was mad. Here she was standing on the edge of a precipice and it seemed terribly unfair that nobody bothered to notice how close to utter devastation she was. She clutched her phone like it was a tangible lifeline. She could only wait and worry helplessly, waiting for the verdict on the rest of her life.

The call had come in at 2-17 AM. She had checked the time stamp numerous times since then. A call that late into night could only bear bad news and as soon as the shrill ringing had pierced through the fog of deep sleep, she had sat up with alarm. She had reached for the phone on the bedside table and almost dropped it in her haste. It was Yoon Chan Young’s number that had showed up on the phone. He had sounded calm but extremely worried and somewhat defeated. Kim Won had been undergoing a scheduled round of experimental chemotherapy when his heartrate had dropped and his blood pressure had plummeted. The attending physicians had stopped the procedure and had to administer ‘life saving measures’ to stabilize Kim Won. He had slipped into coma and had been moved to ICU immediately. The prognosis was rather grim and the doctors had refused to give any clear answer except that the next 72 hours were going to be critical. At the end Cha Eun Sang could only ask one question, “What does that mean?”

Yoon Chan Young was always a mild mannered but straight forward friend. He had quietly said, “I think it is time you mentally prepared yourself. This could be the end. I think his body is weakened and couldn’t withstand the strain of chemotherapy. But we are still trying. Trust me, I will leave no stone unturned. We are here, at the hospital, by his side. We will stay here for as long as it takes. But we cannot discount the facts. I am sorry."

Cha Eun Sang’s first kneejerk reaction had come out strangled, barely recognizable to her own ears, “I want to see him. I will catch the next flight. Just wait for me. Tell him to wait for me, ok?”

Chan Young knew his friend but he was also his father’s son and knew what was at stake. Years of living alongside the ups and downs of Jeguk Group due to his father’s career with Jeguk Group meant he had some idea about the intricate corporate politics. And something told him that her presence at Kim Won’s side was not as important as her presence in Seoul, in case the worst prognosis came true. Only he didn’t have the courage to tell her the bare facts, when she was already so shaken and fragile. He merely assented to her desperate request and hung up. Only to call his father and let him be the bearer of the tough news. He reasoned in his mind that she should learn to put business first. The sooner the better. He was a man of science but he sent up a prayer heavenwards that she be spared one more loss, if it could be helped.

Cha Eun Sang had grabbed a suitcase and had blindly scooped some clothes from the very first drawer. Through her tears, she had rifled through her locker and had found her passport and some emergency cash. She couldn’t help but go over the last Skype conversation she had with Kim Won. He had been feeling a little better and had insisted on talking on Skype and at length. He had spoken to Sunny and had surprised Cha Eun Sang by sincerely being interested in his world. He had gently emphasized to him the importance of being sensitive and empathetic towards others and being a good human being. They had even discussed their mutual interests in rainbows, puppies and superheroes. Cha Eun Sang had a sense that Kim Won had turned a corner somehow. Perhaps the treatment seemed promising to him after all. He looked better and had an air of serene grace about him. He had apologized to Cha Eun Sang for his father and for himself. He seemed be genuinely proud of her performance at work. He had thanked her for holding the family together with care and patience when he himself had emotionally abandoned everybody after Kim Tan’s death. Cha Eun Sang was touched but couldn’t help asking.

“Hyung, are you alright? I have never seen you so…so…open about your…feelings. You are scaring me.”

Kim Won had actually smiled so deeply that his eyes had crinkled and his dimples had shown prominently. “Why is it scary when a person shows his or her emotion? You know, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. I am a man of leisure now so perhaps that is why my mind is overworking itself. But I have realized something. Life is too short not to express your feelings. If you are angry, work it out. If you are sad, seek help. If you make a mistake, amend it as soon as possible. Hurts fester if left unresolved. If you are thankful, express your gratitude. Don’t let pride stand in your way. If you are happy, share your joy. Trust me, your joy will multiply. And most importantly, if you love somebody, let it show. Shout it out. Say it a thousand times and mean it every time. Our lives will be so much simpler then. Won’t it?”

Cha Eun Sang had smiled warmly, smitten by his irrepressible joie de vivre. She had found herself talking in a more relaxed manner as she had detailed her experience at work. She had complimented Director Yoon for his kind and steadfast guidance, which had led him to ask about Choi Young Do. Startled and a little uncomfortable, she had mentioned that he had been helpful whenever she had sought his advice. Kim Won had suddenly turned very contemplative. He had looked almost sad for a moment before he had said, “Be patient with him. I know that he does not look very welcoming and sounds rather blunt but I think he has the potential to be a great man. He is and he will be a very successful businessman, no doubt. But I think he has his own demons which keep him from being himself. Thank him for me, will you? I have such great hopes for him. I wish him all the success, in everything.”

Cha Eun Sang had been amazed at Kim Won’s keen insight into someone he had barely met. Only she was more amazed when he had asked her to let him speak to Madame Han. Not knowing what to make of his strange request, she had however, carried the laptop into her room. Madame Han was her usual self, draped over the chaise lounge, staring vacantly at the ceiling. Cha Eun Sang had set the laptop on the bed and had approached her. She had to call out her name softly to get her attention. But it was to no avail. Cha Eun Sang had bent down to almost whisper, “Omoeni, hyung wants to talk to you. Do you feel well enough to talk to him?”

The ensuing silence had rather unexpectedly been punctured by Kim Won’s voice that had travelled across the virtual miles and had finally broken through the shell of abject and chronic despair that surrounded the heart of a once happy go lucky woman. It was just one word but Cha Eun Sang was not sure as to who was more shaken by it, Madame Han or her.

“Omoeni? Are you not feeling well? Would it trouble you too much if I wanted to speak to you?” Kim Won had asked gently almost hopefully.

Though Madame Han still had not turned towards the laptop, Cha Eun Sang had stood well clear of the view of the screen and despite her befuddled state had remained watchful of any sign of meltdown in Madame Han. Kim Won had continued to speak to her. He had asked about her health, her care and the general state of the household. Then out of the blue came that one confession that had been Madame Han’s undoing.

“Omoeni, I am sorry. I am so sorry and regretful that I ever dragged Kim Tan into the corporate life. I wish I had simply sent him abroad as he had asked. I miss him dreadfully. I miss him every day and will for the rest of my life.” Kim Won spoke quietly and sincerely.

Madame Han kept her eyes on the ceiling but her eyes welled up and tears spilled down her temples and cheeks. Just as Cha Eun Sang herself was on the verge of her own breakdown, Kim Won politely but firmly asked her to leave so that he could have his say to Madame Han in private. She was glad that he did. Later as she was putting Sunny to bed, the big house had echoed with heart wrenching wails and sobs of Madame Han, which had upset Sunny greatly. He had worriedly asked if his grandma was ill. Cha Eun Sang had reassured him with a false smile that she was going to get better. She couldn’t even begin to imagine how he would react to losing Kim Won, who he was emotionally closer to. She wanted to run away, just run away to a distant land with her son and protect his sweet heart from breaking.

She had that urge again now. This was torture and if this life was what she had to look forward to then she didn’t want it. Here she was waiting for Mr. Yoon, who was in a confidential and closed door meeting with the corporate attorney, going over the succession plan and drawing up a blueprint for installing Cha Eun Sang as a member of the Board in case Kim Won didn’t make it, when she should be by the side of the man in question, who lay dying thousands of miles away from home, away from family and alone. Would she ever have to choose business over her mother or her son? She shuddered at the thought. She looked at her phone again, which showed no new messages or mails. She glared at the stack of legal papers on the desk, which were supposed to be her study material while she waited. It was Kim Won’s will that had been into her hand by Mr. Yoon who had arrived, looking like man on a grim mission, at her doorstep. He had prevailed upon her to cancel any travel plans and had stated in no uncertain terms that she had to stay to protect the family’s interests and Sunny’s future in the business in case their worst fears came true. He had made her call her mother and ask her to come over to Kim mansion and take charge of the household. Mr. Yoon had said that delicate negotiations with different board members to confirm her ad hoc appointment to the Board could take hours or even days. They couldn’t rest till her position was firmly secured on the Board.

She was desperate for a hot drink but the legions of underlings that kept the higher ups in any corporate office in coffee and tea hadn’t arrived yet. Sticking her hands in her heavy trench coat, she felt for the fat roll of emergency cash that she had retrieved along with the passport. She peeked outside the heavy doors and found nobody. She padded down the corridor towards the elevators. Suddenly feeling a little lighter, now that she had stepped outside the Chairman’s office, she walked a little faster, reached the elevators and rang for one. While she waited, her eyes fell upon the larger than life, artist rendered and ornately framed portrait of the previous Chairman, Kim Nam-yoon that graced the opposite wall. She looked closely at the cold eyes, the unsmiling face, the stiff formal posture and the expensive suit that were so realistically captured. She always thought of him as Chairman Kim, even after her marriage. He was distant, grudgingly accepting her as a part of the family and overall not really a father-in-law that she had hoped for. His obsession with his business had marred his relationships with his sons, his wives and his extended family as well. He had passed on that legacy to Kim Won, who was now dying and Kim Tan who had already lost his life. Now, it was threatening to engulf her life and her son’s. The elevator doors opened and she stepped in. As the doors were closing, she thought she saw a cruel smile on his hard face.

Choi Young Do had just finished one of his ‘off the books’ meetings. He was driving a rented Le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter