prompt || twenty six

WRITING HELP // inspiration, ideas, and more!
worried starters

 

trigger warnings apply!
( mental illness, drugs and alcohol use, self-destructive behaviours, and vomiting )

“You haven’t slept for days, have you?”
“Are you eating properly? You don’t look it.”
“Why do you keep stumbling over your words? Just how tired are you?”
“You need to think about yourself every once in a while.”
“I know your work is important, but you’re going to end up in hospital if you go on like this!”
“You haven’t even touched your food. What’s going on?”
“You look so… empty. I’m worried for you, please talk to me.”
“Are you alright in there? You’re so quiet.”
“How did you get these bruises? Please don’t lie to me.”
“There’s something bothering you that you’re not telling me and I can see it slowly destroying you. What happened?”
“You’re sleep deprived and you haven’t been eating. Why do you think you’re feeling dizzy?”
“I can give you some pills to help you sleep. They aren’t healthy, but this is even less healthy.”
“If you didn’t just blink I would’ve sworn you were dead, that’s how sickly you’re looking. Go to bed, please!”
“Have you drank all of these bottles in one weekend?!”
“I know you don’t want this, but it’s for your own good. Sign the papers so they can pick you up tomorrow and you can get clean.”
“What the hell are you doing?! Did you do that to yourself?!”
“When was the last time you left the house? Or opened the curtains for that matter.”
“Here, just keep breathing. It’ll be okay. Better out than in…”
“This can’t go on like this! You’re not eating, you’re not sleeping, you barely talk!”
“I’m sorry. I went through your room and found this. Explain what the hell this is doing in your room!”
“I thought you’d quit! How long have you been lying to me?”
“I’m only trying to help and right now I think I have a much better idea of what you need than you do.”
“Did you take anything? Why are you passing out? Hey! Stay with me!”

 

injury/illness sentence starters

“It’s alright, the cut isn’t that deep.”
“I think I heard a snap, are you okay?”
“Can you still wiggle your toes?”
“Wow are you okay?! You fell really hard.”
“What happened to your face?!”
“That looks like a nasty burn, did you have it looked at?”
“Hello? Can you hear me? You hit your head really badly and you were out for a moment…”
“Don’t worry, the ambulance is on it’s way, you fell down the stairs and hit your head. You’ll be alright.”
“I don’t think bones are supposed to stick out like that.”
“I can’t see. I can’t see!”
“No, I’m certain that’s infected.”
“You should be more careful! This is the third time you’ve sprained something this week.”
“That’s a lot of blood for a small cut…”
“Oh my god! Are you okay?!”
“I know it hurts, but it’s going to be okay. You’re not alone.”
“You’re in the hospital. You had an accident.”
“I’ve been having weird cramps all day.”
“I think I’m going to faint.”
“My sight is going all fuzzy… what does that mean?”
“! I just hurt my back. Can you help me?”
“I think I’m going to be sick.”
“I’m never wearing these heels again. Thank god it’s just a sprain, but… I’ll break them next, I swear.”
“I can’t keep anything in right now. Everything I eat comes back out.”
“I came as soon as you called. How are you feeling?”
“How long have you been throwing up?”
“Why do you keep rubbing your eyes? Is something wrong?”
“I just sneezed and hit myself in the face with my knee.”
“Didn’t the doctor say you needed rest? Because I don’t call this rest.”
“Do you want to end up in the hospital again?!”
“Was it something you ate?”
“Is it an allergy? Do I need to call an ambulance?”
“My skin is burning…”
“I can’t do this anymore, this hurts too much, I’m going to scream.”
“You look really pale… I’ll get you some water, alright?”
“Don’t move, your neck might be broken. Just lie still until the ambulance gets here, okay?”
“Never thought I’d be visiting a stranger in the hospital, but I guess that doesn’t count for strangers I hit with my car.”

 

 

disappointment starters

“I thought you of all people would be different.”
“This was supposed to be a fun day. You always ruin everything.”
“Our flight’s been cancelled… there goes our holiday.”
“I’m not angry. I’m disappointed.”
“I know you didn’t do it on purpose, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be disappointed.”
“I can’t believe this. You always turn everything into such a disaster!”
“I’m not disappointed in you, I’m disappointed in the situation…”
“I can’t believe this is happening. Can nothing ever go right?!”
“I’m so sorry to let you down. I know you were looking forward to this.”
“You always let me down. You’re so unreliable.”
“I’d expected a lot more from you.”
“Stop being so selfish! You’re ruining everything for everyone.”
“You’re such a disappointment to the family.”
“I’m sorry to be such a disappointment. I know you expected more of me.”
“That movie was so disappointing.”
“Why is everything in life actually so disappointing? You get yourself excited every time, only to be let down, time and time again.”
“You’re not disappointing! Just… surprising.”
“I thought you cared about me. Someone who cares about someone else doesn’t let them down like you just did.”
“You could’ve tried harder!”
”I’m not going to lie… I am disappointed.”
“No no! You’re great, but the was just really disappointing.”
“Honestly, you’re the biggest disappointment of my life.”
“You weren’t there for me when I needed you. Why do you expect me to be here for you now you need me?”
“I had higher expectations of this.”
“I had higher expectations of you.”

 

 

Survival Starters

“It’s getting dark, we have to find shelter.”
“If we don’t soon find food we’re going to starve to death, even before we get a chance to freeze.”
“You collect branches and I’ll try to hunt for some food…”
“Whatever you do, don’t lose your way back here.”
“Let me look at that. , that looks painful… we need to find something against the infection.”
“I need to clean the wound. I’m sorry I don’t have anything to numb the pain. Bite down on something, that should help a bit.”
“I can’t feel my feet.”
“I’ve never been this cold in my life… We can’t survive this, can we?”
“It’s been three days since we last saw land… and we’re running low on food.”
“Stop screaming! No one can hear us, you’re just wearing yourself out like this!”
“I don’t know if this is edible, but it’s the only thing I could find.”
“I’m in too much pain. I can’t make it, I’m just holding you back. You need to let me go.”
“If you can’t keep walking, I’m going to have to leave you behind… you know that.”
“What if nobody ever finds us here.”
“I guess we’re lucky the ship sunk close to shore, but why the does it need to be a desert island?!”
“Of all people to get stuck on an island with… Why did it have to be you?”
“There should be a river nearby we can wash in.”
“I can barely remember what food used to taste like…”
“Are you alright? You passed out before. We need to find you something to eat.”
“We need to find shelter. We can continue in the morning when it’s light again.”
“Tell me you have the faintest idea which plants are edible.”
“Just keep talking to me, you’ll be okay. Let me treat your wound.”
“How long have you been sitting here?! Do you WANT to get a heatstroke?”
“What do you miss the most?”
“It can take months for a ship to sail by and even then it’s unlikely they’ll notice us.”
“I’m going insane. There’s water. Water everywhere. I can’t ing do this anymore.”
“You need to stay in the shade, you’re already sunburned as it is.”
“What was that noise…?”
“Can we please stop arguing? We need to work together if we want to survive.”
“We are the only two people on this entire island, why are we fighting?!”
“We’re the only ones who made it ashore… My name’s [NAME]. Nice to meet you…”
“Any idea how to make a fire?”
“I wish I’d died in that shipwreck… This is torture.”
“On the bright side, at least we’re not alone.”
“Whatever you do… don’t think about pizza.”
“How long do you reckon we can survive for? A couple of days? Weeks? Months?”
“I miss my home. I’m starting to forget what it felt like to sleep in a bed.”
“I hope someone thought about my dog/cat…”
“What are we going to do when one of us dies…?”
“Don’t eat any of that food. I’m going to be sick… I don’t think it’s edible!”

 

 

dark hospital starters

“This is torture…”
”They said it’d only take one operation… but I’m still here and that was three years ago.”
”Welcome, you’re never going to see daylight again.”
“I just want to get out. I don’t care whether I’m better or not.”
“How do I know you’re real?”
“What have they done to me?!”
”What have they done to you?!”
“I want this to stop! I want to go home!”
“Sit still and count to ten, it will all be over soon…”
“Take your medicine and you’ll feel better, I promise.”
”I don’t think the ‘cure’ they keep talking about exists… I think we’re doomed.”
”Now, look at me and stay calm. This’ll only hurt a bit.”
”Why are you strapped to this ing bed?! What are they doing to you?!”
”Look at me. Can you tell me how many fingers I’m holding up?”
”I thought so, you definitely need more surgery.”
”We’re just very curious… and you won’t live to see another day anyway, so you might as well give it a shot.”
”Something went wrong… I think you’re blind.”
”There are rumours going around that you’re next.”
”If I’d known this was what I was signing up for, I would’ve rather died at home.”
”So, how long have you been here for?”
”For this treatment you’ll need to undress first.”
”Why don’t you just let me go? We both know there’s no cure for this.”
”Open up wide and let me look inside.”
”I’m not going to lie, this will hurt a lot, but it’s the only way to help you.”
”You almost didn’t make it… but I saved your life.”
”Look at the light. Ah, I see… I think I’ll need to do something about that look in your eyes.”
”No, anaesthetics won’t work on you, that’s why I don’t use them. I’m very sorry about that.”
”Let me see what happens when I do this….”
”Can you handle more? I really want to try something else…”
”Maybe you’ll have visitors next week.”
”What happened to your arm? What did they do this time?”
”Oh my god! I can’t even look at you… What happened?!”
“They say I’m in here because I’m crazy, I think I’m crazy because I’m in here.”

 

 

slavery starters

“You belong to me now, do you understand?! I don’t want to hear a single complaint!”
“How dare you speak up to me?!”
”At the market they told me you were well behaved, you better not disappoint me now.”
“How dare you complain while I provide you with food and a bed?”
”I paid good money for your pretty face. It’s not too much to ask you to do this for me…”
“You don’t get to decide what happens to you. I own you!”
“I don’t care whether it’s hard work. You do it because I paid for you to do it.”
“If you oppose me, I will punish you so much you won’t even dare to speak again.”
“Your personal feelings don’t exist anymore. You obey. Nothing more.”
“You can’t take it anymore? Then I must bring you back. Broken products should be returned.”
“Tell me who you belong to. I like to hear you say it.”
“I do with you whatever I want from now on.”
“Work through your hunger. You will get fed when you deserve it.”
”I think you’ve deserved the evening off. I know you’re overheated, go bathe.”
”You’ll need to get used to things around here, but I expect no complaints.”
”I don’t treat you half as badly as some out there. Aren’t you grateful?”
”I am not supposed to feel affection for you, slave, but I have no one else around to talk to.”
”I wouldn’t have slaves if I didn’t need them. Now do your job and don’t look at me like that.”
“You can work harder than this.”
“Don’t disappoint me, slave, or you’ll get punished.”
“I expected you to be done with this this morning already. Have you been slacking? You know what happens when people don’t work their hardest, don’t you?”
”You serve me well, slave. I’m very fond of you. Now, keep this up another few years and you might even see your freedom again one day.”
“Your tears mean nothing to me.”
”I’m not satisfied with your work. Try harder.”
“You are supposed to fear me.”

 

 

Hallucination Starters!

“Hey, snap out of it! There’s nobody here!”
“Don’t be ridiculous, that kind of stuff only exists in bad horror movies.”
”Help me! Someone’s been following me for over twenty minutes now, I can’t shake him/her!”
“You must’ve heard that… It was loud a-and it seems to be coming our way!”
“I didn’t just imagine it! It was there, I swear!”
“No, no, no, you can’t be real! You died!”
“You’re seeing things again…”
“I’m not making it up this time! There was someone there, I’m sure of it!”
“Are you high? What the hell are you on about?”
“You’re hallucinating! You need to try to calm down!”
“I think you’re seeing things that aren’t there.”
“How can I be sure that you’re real?”
“That’s it, I’m calling a doctor, you’re freaking me out.”
“You’ve got a high fever… You’re going delirious. Let me help you, please!”
“So, what you’re telling me is that there’s some kind of ghost murderer following us that I can’t see?”
“There’s medication for this sort of stuff, you know? Maybe you should take it.”
“I think you might be having a flash back, you’re screaming at a door. Look at me! Ssh, calm down.”
“There’s nothing there.”
“There’s something there, I swear! You need to believe me or we’re both going to get hurt!”
“He’s there… he’s there… I saw him, oh god, oh my god!”
“It’s not invisible, it doesn’t exist. That’s a different thing.”
“What are you seeing?”
“Close your eyes, what you’re seeing is not real, you have to listen to my voice, alright?”
“Did you take something? You’re not making sense!”
“You have to focus on me, there’s no one else here.”
“Who are you talking to?”

 

 

 

serious illness/cancer starters

“Do you know how long you’ve got?”
“What are the chances of getting through this?”
“I need to tell you something…”
“I guess we should start trying to cross things off your bucket list…”
“Are you scared?”
“But surely there’s something they can do, right? I mean, they have to be able to!”
“This is a joke, isn’t it? Cut it out now, it’s not funny.”
“I can’t see you die, so you better get through this, alright?”
“Whatever you need, I can help you. I’ll drive you to your appointments, I’ll do everything.”
“You can fight this, I know you can.”
“I’ll be with you every step of the way, no matter what happens.”
“I knew you weren’t well, but I’d never thought it could be this serious.”
“I don’t want you to die.”
“What can the doctors do? Were you on time?”
“Are you going to die?”
“They say that I probably won’t make it.”
“I don’t want to die. I’m so scared…”
“What can I do to help you? I don’t want you to have to go through this alone.”
“How can this be happening? You’re still so young…”
“According to the doctors I won’t make it past Christmas.”
“I’m not going to make a big deal about it. Everyone dies. This is my time. I’ll make the most of it, if I can.”
“You just keep getting worse and worse… I can’t bear to lose you.”
“I was never supposed to die so soon. I’m not ready yet!”
“You have no idea what it’s like to be running out of time like this! I almost feel the clock ticking, telling me how little time I still have!”
“I love you, you know that, yes? No matter what happens, I’ll always love you.”
“You have to help me get through this, I can’t do this on my own.”
“Someone once told me that you only start living when you know you’re dying. It’s ing bull.”
“I feel so sick… I just want all of this to end.”
“What do you mean, you’re not going to have treatment?” 

 

 

anger (management) starters

“You can’t just lose your temper like this every time you get a bit upset!”
“Stop shouting or I won’t listen to a word you’re saying anymore!”
“Calm down, right now! You’rs scaring me!”
“Wow, no need to get your knickers in a twist, I was just asking!”
“Shut up! Shut up! SHUT UP, you ing !”
“Okay, I know you’re angry, but try to breathe, alright? Sit down, let me help you…”
“Whenever you behave like this, all I see is your father.”
“Wow, down boy/girl!”
“Let go of me! What on earth do you think you’re doing?! LET GO!”
“What happened in here? What is this mess? Did you do this?”
“Now don’t get angry, but there are a few things we need to talk about.”
“You’re making excuses for hitting me in the face? You’re making excuses?! Do you know what I need to hear right now? An APOLOGY.”
“Get away from me!”
“You’re going to wake the whole neighbourhood if you keep this up!”
“I don’t know why I ever gave you a chance! The only thing you know how to do is up!”
“Keep your voice down! People are starting to stare.”
“I’ll let go when you look me in the eyes and dare to say that again!”
“You broke my [OBJECT]! You knew that was precious to me!”
“Go to bed, sober up and we’ll talk tomorrow.”
“You’re telling ME to calm down?! YOU started this!”
“You say the nastiest things when you’re angry, so yes, I’m walking away from you now.”
“I can’t reason with you when you shout like that.”
“STOP. ING. SHOUTING!”
“Ow! Get your hands off me! You’re hurting me!”
“If you open that mouth to say something I don’t want to hear ONE more time, you’re out, do you ing understand?”
“Just LET me get angry! I always need to keep everything inside, but I can’t do that anymore!”
“I’m going to call the police. You’re scaring me.”
“What the do you think you’re doing? You’re NOT going to call the police on me!”
“What are you going to do? Hit me again?”
“You can’t demand everything from everyone around you. Everyone else has a life that doesn’t revolve around you. When will you get that into your skull?!”
“You’re not a kid anymore, so stop acting like one.”

 

 

control starters

“I can make you do whatever I want now. Come on, TRY to oppose me, I dare you.”
“Aren’t you a good boy/girl, listening to every command I give you. Come here, let me give you a kiss.”
“Undress. I have bought you new clothes.”
“Are you hungry? Look at this plate of food. Don’t touch it. You’re only allowed to look. I love seeing your instinct lose from the control I have on you.”
“You’re my puppet now. How does it feel?”
“How long has it been? Five days? Six? Don’t fall asleep. I SAID DON’T FALL ASLEEP!”
“Hold your hand above the flame. It amuses me.”
“How dare you speak to me before being given permission?”
“I don’t remember telling you you could leave your room.”
“Look at how good you are to me. You never complain. I think you deserve a present.”
“I’m not going to lock the door this time, but you won’t leave anyway.”
“Begging isn’t going to make me give it to you. In fact, I quite like the sight.”
“I’m so sorry for disobeying you. I understand if you’re going to punish me now. I deserve it.”
“Do you remember what freedom feels like?”
“What would you be doing right now if you were allowed to do anything in the world, my dear?”
“Why are you complaining? I’m doing what’s best for you.”
“Of course I care about you. That’s why you’re not allowed to leave the house.”
“What did you just say? I think I made it very clear what happens to those who don’t listen to my commands…”
”How does it feel to think in my voice?”
“Your wish is my command. I’ll always listen to you.”
“Oh dear, I see you’ve had a little accident… I thought I’d told you to keep it in.”

 

 

disturbing starters

 

Be warned that these are very scary sentences. If you can’t handle horror, or get nightmares easily, these sentences probably aren’t for you.

“Of course I don’t want to kill you! I already have!”
“Who are you looking at?”
“What are you talking about? There’s nobody else in the room… right?”
“I’m going to kill you now.”
“There’s a knocking sound coming from the mirror.”
“There’s someone looking at you through the window.”
“I heard someone saying my name when I was in the shower this morning. You weren’t home then, were you?”
“Why are you telling me that you’re going to get killed…? You’ve been dead for two years.”
“Don’t go downstairs. I heard it call you too, in my voice, but it wasn’t me.”
“Why are you making me dinner? We just ate…”
“I keep hearing my daughter/son/wife/husband/boy/girlfriend scream every night while I’m wide awake, but they’ve been dead for years.”
“What do you mean you didn’t leave this message for me? Then who did?”
“There are all these pictures on my phone of me sleeping last night– but there was nobody else home but me. I don’t know what’s going on, but I think that someone– something– is breaking into my house.”
“I can hear laughing coming from the attic, but we’re the only ones home…”
“Don’t look in the mirror. That reflection isn’t you.”
“If you go outside now, they’re going to steal you. They want you.”
“I have the feeling that I’m being watched.”
“The cat isn’t staring at you… he’s staring behind you.”
“I live alone, as you know, but when I woke up last night, I could feel a breathing down my neck.”
“I know that the old man who lived next door died, but I hear him talk to himself every day, like he used to.”
“Can you see that too? That thing staring at me at the end of the bed?”

 

haunted starters

“I swear there was someone there…”
“Very funny! What’s next? The phone starts ringing while the cords not in?”
“I had a dream last night, only it was so vivid I could have sworn I was awake. In it I was killing you. I didn’t want to… but I couldn’t stop myself.”
“You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
“Wherever I look I keep seeing these eyes staring back at me…”
“Did you not hear that?! They’re whispering your name!”
“Don’t move, be quiet. There’s someone in the bed with us… Don’t wake it.”
[ text ] Don’t open the door when you hear knocking. It looks and sounds like me, but it’s not me!
“I got the strangest phone call last night and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head.“
“Something is going to happen to you and you’ll never be the same again.”
[ text ] Run!
“You can see me? But you’re just a mere mortal… Interesting.”
“You were talking in your sleep last night… and something responded.”
“You know I don’t buy into that whole ghost thing, but this is starting to freak me out.”
“You think I’m going to believe you didn’t just write this note yourself to scare me?”
“Oh no, I’m not going to kill you… You’re going to kill yourself and I’m going to watch.”
“When I peeked into your room last night… I saw someone sitting on the end of your bed.”
“This was a bad idea… I’m beginning to think there’s more to those stories, after all.”
“Stop it! That’s not even a language and I’m to believe you’re possessed or something? It’s not funny!”
“Nice costume.”
[ text ] Someone just opened your front door and sneaked inside… Get out!
“If you weren’t singing… then who was?”
“You’re dead! I was there at your funeral!”
“Please don’t be scared. I’m still the same person… dead or not.”

 

 

nightmare starters

“Wake up! Wake up! It’s just a dream!”
“What were you dreaming about…? You were shouting…”
“I woke up because you were screaming so loudly.”
“Shh– No, no, don’t panic, love. You’re safe now.”
“It was so real! I swear! He/she was here!”
“I don’t ever want to sleep again. What if– what if I dream about that again?”
“If you tell me, it’ll go away. That’s what my mum/dad always told me and it’s never failed me.”
“Do you want to go back to sleep, or shall I make you a cup of tea?”
“I don’t want to go back to sleep…”
“I’m so scared… I can’t stop seeing what I just saw. It was so vivid!”
“There’s really nobody here, okay? Do you need me to show you around to prove that to you?”
“How do I know I’m not still dreaming? You’re acting really strangely.”
“Let’s get you to the shower, you’re covered in sweat.”
“There’s really nobody else here.”
“You’ve got a really bad fever. That must have caused those weird dreams.”
“I don’t even know what a peaceful night’s sleep is like anymore.”
“I can’t do this anymore. These nightmares have to stop…”
“Shh, it was just a bad dream. Just a dream, okay? None of it was real.”
“I can’t go back to sleep after that. I need coffee– no, I need a drink, a stiff one.”
“How long have you been having these nightmares?”
“I’ve had nightmares all my life, but they’ve been really bad recently.”
“You get so worked up before you go to sleep, maybe you should try to relax a bit more. Maybe then you’ll get some rest?”
“I’d kill for a peaceful night’s sleep.” 
“A dream catcher? Honestly? I’m not a child.”
“Nothing’s ever helped this. I just need to learn to live with the fact that sleeping will always be a nightmare, literally.”
“I’m so tired… but there’s no way I’m going back to sleep after that.”

 

credit