Don't Marry Me?

Don't Marry Me

"I don't think you should marry me."

 

The look on his face was utterly priceless. If it was a joke, you could have been laughing right now but you were dead serious. And his expression seems as if he just unintentionally kicked a puppy on the sidewalk.

 

"Look, whatever it is, I'm sure we could work it out through talking calmly." He managed to reply after a minute of dead silence, but you just shook your head and heaved a deep breath. You heard a soft wheeze, thus making you attempt to exhale as quietly as possible.

 

"A-Are you saying we should break up? What went wrong? I thought it was all perfect?" You could sense the panic in his voice, although he tries to keep a calm facade, along with the tears slowly welling up on the corner of his eyes. But of course, although Sangwon looks strong, he has always been a crybaby.

 

You didn't reply. Rather, you couldn't reply. Having sat down on one of the chairs around the dining table, you crouched and held your hand up your chest and started to cough violently. "In... ha... ler..." You called out between suppressed coughs. Sangwon, who was now wide-eyed, ran as fast as he could to the medicine kit and grabbed the inhaler in which he handed to you in an instant. You could've sworn you heard a 'please don't die' when the contraption collided with your lips.

 

He was there, standing beside you and rubbing small circles on your back, unknowingly crying at the entire situation. Once your breathing steadied, you looked at him with a raised brow. "What's wrong?"

 

"First y-you said you didn't want to marry me, then you w-wanted to break up, and now i-it seems like you're dying..." He said it all between soft hicks until he started to break down and cry. Yes, aside from being a crybaby, Sangwon is known to panic a lot. Instead of saying anything, you got up and gave him a hug from behind with your chin rested on his shoulder.

 

"I was saying that because I was afraid that you'd spend all your money on my medicine." You muttered with your mouth pressed against his back. "Don't cry now, please." And with that, he slowly stopped and wiped the tears off his face. "I... I don't understand..." was his only reply, obviously still confused at the turn of events.

 

You then let go of him to face him, grabbed him by the shoulders, took a deep breath, then finally spoke. "I'm not really the healthiest person out there. Being with me would do more bad than good to you." He slowly nodded while you spoke, then wordlessly pulled you in for an embrace. "I'd rather be that person who would be there beside you during tough times. What would have happened if I wasn't there to give you that inhaler a while ago? I love you too much to the point that if you ask me to leave you, I won't."

 

Your eyes were closed as your fingers gripped on the edge of his shirt and your chest heaving up and down in a quick manner, followed by a sniffle. What kind of woman wouldn't be touched by such speech from her husband-to-be, right? You soon eased and stopped crying, pulling away from the hug to look at him with teary eyes. "You're so cheesy, it actually brings me to tears." You managed to utter, following it with a small laugh.

 

"I know, now let's go sit somewhere comfortable so you could rest." He replied with a smile after he placed a soft kiss on top of your head, his hands holding yours with his thumb brushing over the ring on your finger.