Chapter 5

Ideal Roommate

KissTheDream: VIXX IS HAVING A COMEBACK AND I AM NOT READY.

Are you? Is it even possible to be ready??

* * *

 

There was such a heavy, loaded silence booming from the other end of the line, Jaehwan almost regretted telling Hakyeon anything.

Even though he knew it was absolutely inappropriate, somehow Jaehwan automatically attempted to make things less serious.

“So then, Hongbin screamed like some stupid horror movie girl, and the screen went black.” Jaehwan made one of those cheesy ghost noises kids often make to scare each other. “Wooooooo…!”

But all the only response Jaehwan got was an even darker silence.

“… That wasn’t funny, Jaehwan.”

Jaehwan only snickered, but his own laughter somehow lacked happiness.

“That was,” - Hakyeon seemed to be struggling to collect himself – “that was in bad taste, Jaehwan.” Hakyeon took a huge breath. “Jeez, for a second there, I thought you were for real.”

“But it was for real!” protested Jaehwan. “Hongbin really sent me that creepy video message! Didn’t you notice he wasn’t with us on Saturday? And he’s not picking up our calls, either.”

An even longer silence took place.

“Okay. Let’s say I believe you.” said Hakyeon, though his tone suggested otherwise. “Let’s say Hongbin really sent you a creepy- message in which he’s running for his life from some raging maniac.” Hakyeon cleared his throat. “In that case, we’re going to the freakin’ police first thing in the morning.” There was no sign of Hakyeon’s usual sass. Hakyeon made a pause, waiting for Jaehwan to object. Jaehwan felt prompted to speak first.

“All right with me.” said Jaehwan, even though his insides tumbled uncomfortably at the very mention of police stations. Somehow they always made him feel guilty even though he hadn’t committed a single crime in his entire life. “But do you wanna go because of Hongbin, or because you know it’s Ravi’s shift at the police station tomorrow from 9 to 12?”

From the other end of the line, Hakyeon whined loudly, followed by a dull thump – the older boy obviously smacked something, perhaps imagining it was Jaehwan’s head. “Yah, will you stop messing with me? IT’S. NOT. FUNNY!”

“It’s not funny because it’s not a joke!” Jaehwan insisted. “Look, tomorrow, I’ll show you the message. I have it saved in my phone.”

With that, the conversation was over, after they agreed where and when to meet the day after. Obviously, Hakyeon was still suspicious that Jaehwan was just making stuff up to scare him.

And who can blame him? thought Jaehwan while hopping onto a lonely bus and heading home. We always poke fun of him because he’s such a scaredycat. Of course he doesn’t believe me!

The sun was setting, red and orange and pink, just like the piles of leaves rising off the ground like a cloud when the bus passed them by. With a sudden conviction, Jaehwan knew this was the last fair day of autumn. It was almost November, and something was changing, a chill was creeping up to him, a chill that had nothing to do with the seasons.

As soon as it formed, Jaehwan shook that thought away. He rested his forehead against the window. What the hell could ever change? He will go to university, study for his exams, drink with Ravi, Hyuk and Hakyeon. Even if exciting changes happen – if he gets a girlfriend, or decides to quit his education and get a job, or aliens come and invade Earth – somehow, Jaehwan had a feeling they won’t feel new or exciting at all. Barely anything ever did.

It was as though Jaehwan was living his life trying to be happy… by pretending that he was.

He almost fell asleep in his seat, his head heavy as though filled with water. But as soon as he stumbled out of the bus, almost falling over his own two feet, he put up a smile. He lifted his head up, and the sun illuminated the burning spark in his eyes.

Time to make my first move.

* * *

As soon as Jaehwan took his shoes off and tossed his jacket to the side, he walked stright up to Leo’s bedroom. Poking his had inside, he asked some mundane question, one he didn’t even bother to remember.

What was important, however, was the fact Leo was there, inside the house, and not outside.

He settled down on the floor in front of Leo’s door. He put one of his ears up against the wooden surface, blocking his other to hear better.

He should’ve heard at least some sound – the computer buzzing, the cat meowing, or Leo moving around the room. Instead, the silence was so complete Jaehwan found himself checking his own ears for earplugs. Maybe he soundproofed the room?

Really, Jaehwan shouldn’t had been surprised, especially after that insanely detailed contract and Leo’s far-from-normal behavior. Yet still, he blinked at the door, unable to believe someone would actually SOUNDPROOF a room just to win a stupid game. Doesn’t complete soundproofing cost, like, a thousand times more than my yearly lodging?

Deciding to accept the fast Leo was a bastard and a freak, Jaehwan moved away, now setting at the other end of the corridor, near the kitchen. From there, he could see Leo’s door clearly. For a second he skipped over to his own room to grab some earphones. He popped the bright green earphones in his ears, stretching lazily and leaning back against the wall.

He HAS to come out. I mean, he’s still human. He’s gonna have to take a piss sooner or later, right?

It was half an hour before Jaehwan slipped down the wall to sit on the floor instead.

It was two hours before he got tired of the same old songs on his Sony Walkman.

He considered getting himself a book but was afraid he’d get too immersed in it and would miss Leo walking out. The bathroom door was just outside Leo’s room – it might be possible for the “invisible roommate” to slip through the corridor quickly.

So Jaehwan remained sitting on the floor, tired of waiting and bored out of his mind. In fact, he was so bored he pulled a marker out of his pocket and stared drawing on the surface of his jeans. I wanted to throw these away anyway, he made an excuse while drawing a huge husky on his thigh and a shrieking pterodactyl under his knee.

It was seven hours before Jaehwan fell victim to sleep.

* * *

Morning found Jaehwan huddled in a pile of limbs on the cold hallway floor. A little embarrassed of going so far just for the sake of defeating the “ideal roommate”, he dusted himself off and took a huge sigh.

He had never, in his wildest dreams, expected Leo to be truly invisible. But there was not a single sound coming from his room, nor did he ever so much as poke his head outside the door. It shouldn’t even be possible, dammit! He’s a human, he HAS to make noise and to freakin move!

A warm shower did nothing to improve Jaehwan’s mood. He rubbed his neck, stiff from sleeping against the wall. His was uncomfortable too, but it was too awkward to massage himself there. He felt like a statue turned to life and making its first awkward movements. He put on the first clothes he saw lying around - whether they were clean or not.

Numb and itchy everywhere, he greeted Hakyeon with a grunt when they meet near the police station. As per usual, the sassy boy arrived an hour late.

“What took you so long?” asked Jaehwan, groaning.

Unabashed, Hakyeon simply pointed to his own eyes. “Eyeliner. Isn’t it pretty?”

Today, Jaehwan just didn’t have the patience for Hakyeon.

“Ouch!!!” yelled Hakyeon after one painful kick in the . “Aish, my ’s all dirty now! How am I going to meet Ravi with your footprint on my jeans?!”

“Dude, you have a crush on him?!” That wasn’t exactly news, but Hakyeon actually admitting it? That was a first. “I’m sure that ert’s more concerned about what’s inside those jeans.”

Hakyeon giggled, beaming.

“Anyways, I wanted you to see this.” He handed Hakyeon his phone, Hongbin’s video on screen and ready to play.

Just as Hakyeon was about to tap the play icon, he spun to Jaehwan, who was, strangely enough, standing a good few feet away. Hakyeon gazed at him questioningly with his kohl-drawn eyes, but Jaehwan just waved his head.

“I don’t want to see it again.” Truthfully, Jaehwan wasn’t sure if he could even bear just to hear Hongbin’s scream one more time. Suddenly he felt guilty about making fun of it the day before.

From a safe distance, he watched Hakyeon’s powdered face change colour, from pale, to paler. His huge eyes threatened to burst from his eyesockets – his tanned arms shook violently – and he didn’t seem to be able to breathe at all.

After a minute, he silently handed the phone back to Jaehwan. Hakyeon’s eyes were locked on the ground.

“Well?” asked Jaehwan. “You think I should show it to the poli- HAKYEON!!!”

In a flash, Hakyeon collapsed, and Jaehwan just barely caught his head before it hit the hard concrete. “Goddammit, Hakyeon! Get up!” Jaehwan yelled in his face, but Hakyeon lay cold. I should’ve known he’d flip his , the scaredycat .Somehow he managed to carry his limp body to the police station, which was, luckily enough, situated nearby.

As soon as he saw them enter the spacious office, Ravi practically leaped over his desk, making a huge pile of papers fly everywhere. He snatched Hakyeon right out of Jaehwan’s hands.

“What the hell happened to ‘im?” Ravi asked, trying to sound calm even though he was paling. He attempted to slap Hakyeon to wake him, but somehow, his strong hands didn’t seem capable of slapping him hard enough. Ravi was oddly flustered.

“Aish, seriously. What the hell did they teach you at that police academy?” asked Jaehwan, chuckling. The sight of Ravi unable to slap the sassy boy was just too funny. “You can’t even slap a !”

“It’s not funny, dude.” growled Ravi over his shoulder, still fussing over Hakyeon.

“If you want me to slap him, I’ll be more than happy to-“

To Jaehwan’s huge disappointment, Hakyeon opened his eyes in that instant. Disoriented, he gazed around until he noticed Ravi right next to him and let out a panicked yelp. Jaehwan fake-coughed into his fist.

“Aaaaanyways,” Jaehwan decided to in, when Hakyeon had sufficiently calmed down,“there’s, uh, a video I received… If someone here could check it out?”

“A video?” Ravi blinked, confused. “Sure, lemme get someone.” Since Ravi wasn’t a policeman yet (it was his second year of probation period) he couldn’t yet handle any affairs alone.

In a minute he was back with two police officers. Expressionless, they watched the video in silence. Somehow, their stoic, rigid presence made Jaehwan feel ridiculously guilty, even though there was nothing to feel guilty for.

“Kid, we will need to keep his phone for now, as evidence. Possibly call in a professional…”

As it turned out, Jaehwan spent most of his morning at the police station – filling out some paperwork, giving a statement, talking to many more cops than he would have liked.

And, somewhere in the grey maze of half-empty offices, he spotted something that suddenly made him smile.

“Whatdoya need that for?” asked Hakyeon, watching Jaehwan stuff three whole rolls of transparent fingerprint tape into his jeans’ pockets. “Yah, are you seriously stealing from a police station?!”

“Hey, keep your voice down.” whispered Jaehwan, beaming at his own discovery. “Anyways, I bet they have tons of this stuff.” He grinned, secretly, to himself. “They won’t miss a roll or two of fingerprint tape.”

* * *

The way Jaehwan thought about it, it was much better to stick the fingerprint tape at night. First off, there’s less danger of Leo emerging from his room and catching him red-handed.

Second, everything is more exciting in the dark.

Feeling like a detective or a secret agent from a movie or a drama, Jaehwan crept through the hallway, arms stretched before him so he wouldn’t bump into a wall. It was so dark Jaehwan couldn’t see his own feet or hands. Feeling the rough, cold walls with his hand, he finally touched a light switch but didn’t turn it on.

Instead, he glued onto it a tiny, transparent slip of fingerprint tape.

Moving to the bathroom, he decided against putting any tape there, since water might make the transparent material visible. He then walked into the kitchen, dancing on the tips of his toes to make the least noise possible.

He was halfway done with the kitchen, and a balloon of excitement filled his chest to the brim. Even though he wasn’t doing anything except sneaking around and sticking transparent tape, it felt so good Jaehwan had to stop himself from giggling in delight and hopping up and down like a child.

Finally, he permitted himself a soft giggle, thinking his chest will otherwise explode.

This game Is actually really fun!  Jaehwan caught himself thinking. Like hide and seek, except much be-

That’s when something wet hit his cheek. A single drop of liquid slid down his face.

Am I crying?  was Jaehwan’s first guess. But when he, confusedly, touched his eyes, he found them dry.

Maybe water’s dripping from above?  thought Jaehwan. Maybe something’s wrong with the pipelines?

He glanced up, but in the dark he couldn’t see much. Deciding against flicking on the light (Leo might get suspicious!), he took out his old phone and tapped a random button, casting a pale blue light above his head.

Afterwards, no matter how much time passed, Jaehwan could never forget it. He could never forget what he saw that night, in the kitchen, on the ceiling, illuminated in pale blue light.

 

* * *

KissTheDream: Cha leader kinda neck-chopped Leo out of this chapter. Damn that y stankface diva!

The next chapter is all bonding time for the new roommates though. ^.^ You'll see what I mean. Kekeke...

As always, comments and upvotes are welcome and its givers are given everlasting muffins. <3 ^.^

Okay, I lied. No eternal muffins. Not even normal ones. But upvotes and comments still make me happy. :D