___

Winter Jasmine

 

 

(A/N; The previous chapter was short and I don’t think I will be able to update for a while, so this is a double update, be sure to read the previous chapter before this.)

 

 

 

The more time alone Taemin spent the more shadowlings seemed to follow him.  Soon the library was like a breeding ground, every new shadow a new one seemed to be waiting for him. They swayed by his ankles and disappeared in a wisp of black smoke when ever he accidently kicked one.  At night he felt their liquid weight on his covers and when he tended to the animals in the sun light they would wait by the door of the kitchen in the shadows. 

 

But when Minho was near they seemed to sink back into the shadows unless called upon.  It was a strange balance, but Taemin liked it a lot more than being completely alone.  They were like a small reminder that Minho was somewhere in the castle and Taemin was in his thoughts. 

 

Taemin's days became easy and started to blend into the next as he became comfortable in the castle and Minho seemed to notice.  As winter crept into the halls of the castle and the days became shorter, Taemin tried to spend as much time as he could with the man.  They spent less and less time awkwardly staring at each other and more time talking about anything.  Taemin got used to Minho’s hesitant nature, and learned that living alone almost his whole life made him act sort of strange.  But no matter what, when they were together, Minho watched him, always. He looked at Taemin in away that a child looks at smoke, with a sense of awe and mystery, but also a sense of detachment, knowing that in a moment it will be gone. 

 

Taemin did his best to ignore that side of Minho, the one that believed Taemin hated him or was thinking of always leaving.  He thought if he never acknowledged it, hopefully it would fade in Minho.  Instead, he did everything he could to show Minho he liked it here.  He scattered books in every room they used and tried to spread his presence in the castle as best he could.  He made decorations and even drew his own pictures to hang in the bare walls.  The cold weather had killed most of the foliage around the castle, but Taemin had collected a lovely array of colorful leaves that now adorn every bare table in the halls.  One day as he was pulling hay for the goats and scattering dried corn for the now very fluffy chickens he noticed that through the distant trees he could see color mixed with the black.  Dropping the rest of the feed on the ground for the animals he made his way to the thick iron fence that surrounded the whole castle. 

 

The idea of leaving the grounds never really passed his mind as he had no need, and the forest always looked dark and foreboding.  But now, as he stood against the freezing iron he saw something worth leaving for.  Blooming in brilliant colors all along the ground were tiny yellow flowers.  Despite the freezing temperature, they bloomed with the brilliance of summer, and Taemin was drawn to their beauty. 

 

He squeezed himself between the rungs of the fence and ran into the forest.  The flowers were scattered like stars along the forest floor and Taemin smiled wildly at their beauty.  He picked several, careful where he stepped.  They varied in shape and size and Taemin selected a wonderful bouquet.  He did not stray too far in the forest and as soon as the sun started to rise in the bare branches of the trees.  He looked back to the still dark silhouette of the castle. 

 

The kitchen windows were illuminated from the fire of the stove and it shone over he little farm.  The windows above were still black, but Taemin thought he saw something in one of the highest windows.  A black form, hulking in size and pressed against the window. But as he looked harder he couldn’t make it out.  He wondered, only vaguely if it was Minho. 

 

He made his way back to the kitchen keeping pace with the sun at his heels.  He made sure the animals were fed and breakfast was started before he shed his coat and carefully started to spread his flowers into cups and vases, he saved a few to leave in between pages of his books, but made the biggest arrangement for the center of their table.  He set the vase between the two seats they always used and turned to place the smaller arrangements in the halls.  As he pushed open the dinning room door though he almost ran straight in to Minho. 

 

“Oh, good morning, you’re down early,” Taemin gave him a warm smile, “but you look awful, are you feeling alright?”

 

Minho’s normally pressed suit was wrinkled, and his silk shirt was only half buttoned and untucked.  His black hair was wildly unkempt and fell into his eyes and Taemin saw he was breathing heavy and he had sweat along his temples.   But what really concerned the boy were his eyes, wide and glossy, and his brow was pulled together with worry. 

 

“I, uh, yes, I am, fine,” he was panting.

 

“Okay,” Taemin knew more questions would be useless and result in awkward staring.  He showed Minho the flowers instead. “Look what I found this morning. They must be a winter bloom, there were hundreds of them in the forest and I thought that while they were still pretty we could enjoy them. What do think? They are my favorite color.” Minho didn’t look at the flowers. He kept his eyes trained on Taemin.

 

“You were picking flowers,” his panting was released with a heavy sigh.

 

“Yeah, I like flowers. Even though their beauty is only temporary, they bring so much life to even the darkest places just for a moment.” Taemin thought he saw Minho’s lip tremble. The man stepped aside to let Taemin pass.  “Breakfast is coking, if you want to set it out, I will be right back.” He started to walk away but Minho called after him.

 

“Taemin,” he looked lost, like he had more to say but no words to use.

 

“I will come back, Minho.”

 

Shadowlings tumbled at his feet as he placed the few vases around the front halls and disappeared at the door when Taemin sat down to eat and tell Minho all about his walk in the forest that morning.