___

Winter Jasmine

 

 

Taemin did not get out of bed the next day. Some time late the night before he dragged his feet back to his room, head pounding and eyes swollen. He shed the coat that he now knew was meant to cloak his boyish form, and threw the rest of his clothes aside, crawling beneath the thick covers to save his skin form the bitter cold of his dark room.  Falling asleep with tears in his hair he dreamt of nothing. 

 

The sun was already high and beaming through the tall windows of his room and right on to his face.  So he kept his eyes shut, not yet wanting to deal with everything he would have to with his eyes open.  A sound from the corner of the room, however, pulled him a little further back into reality.  The crackling of a fire, and the shuffling of feet, a weight on his bed and a gentle hand on his head, trailing light fingers through his hair.  It was soothing, nothing like the touch of a monster, Taemin thought. 

 

Carefully, Taemin opened his eyes and rolled from his side to look up at the only other resident of the castle.  Again he was dressed in all black and his face was stoic and none the less stunning.  He stopped brushing Taemin’s hair and placed both hands, folded in his lap as he stared down at the boy.  Taemin felt every second pass as his heart beat in his chest.  He waited for the man to speak to tell him it was time to go, or that he was going to call back his father, or worse, that he had decided to feed Taemin to the beast inside him.

 

But his words didn’t come, he just stared at Taemin with the same stone expression. When Taemin didn’t say anything either the man started to look around, eyes moving to the folds of the blanket to the window and back to Taemin, blinking more often.  Finally he took a breath and his perfect lips parted before his silky voice sounded strained. “It is already late afternoon.”

 

It was not what Taemin expected. “Yes, okay…Would you like me to get up?”

 

“Yes,” he nodded. “I will wait for you in the dinning hall.” With that he got up and quickly left the room, leaving Taemin in sunny patch of confusion on the bed.  He stared after the man trying to decipher what his disposition was but could not conclude anything.  He pulled the covers off, grateful a fire had been started in the hearth and warmed the still chilled air of his room.  Staring at the flames it sparked a small hope in Taemin’s chest.

 

Maybe he could stay here.  Of course he had wanted nothing more than to go back to his home after being left here, but now the more he thought of returning, he couldn’t stand the thought of facing his father again.  The pain and heartbreak still so fresh made him despise the man, he could never go back to his home and feel the same.  

 

He shook the memory of his fathers face in the dark woods away and pulled his wrinkled clothes from the floor and did his best to look presentable.  He undid the messy braid in his hair and pulled his fingers through it, calming the stray pieces.  He found a mirror on one of the dressers and assessed his face.  His pale cheeks were blotched red and his eyes had dark circles, but there was not much he could do for his sorry appearance.

 

Taemin left his heavy boots behind and instantly regretted the decision as his bare feet the cold stone landing of the grand stair case.  Toes curling as he pushed open the same door to the dining room, searching for the man.  But it was empty.  The fire that had died last night was resurrected to full glory and Taemin did not hesitate to take a seat in front of it to wait. 

 

Moments later Taemin heard a small noise of tittering porcelain behind a swinging door placed in the farthest corner of the room.  Minho appeared holding a platter with a steaming bowl and cup, placing it near Taemin. 

 

“I thought after what you have been through something to eat may help.” He walked around the table and took his same seat as last night, in front of Taemin.

 

Taemin looked at what he had been given. The silverware was haphazardly thrown on the platter and the contents was a dark soup with lumps of meat and very little seasoning swimming in the broth. A plain piece of bread and a cup of simple warm milk accompanied the strange soup. But what it lacked in presentation, it made up for in taste. Taemin picked up the spoon and ladled a little of the dark broth into his mouth and felt the impact of just how hungry he was. He ate the chucks of meat, chewing thoroughly and drank even the last of the savory broth before staring to pick at the break and sipping the milk.  All the while he was very aware of Minho’s gaze locked on him. 

 

After he finished his meal he sat back in his chair and felt his stomach full against his hands.  He met Minho’s gaze, the man had his hands perched on the table beneath his chin and looked like he was deep in thought as he watched the boy. 

 

“Thank you,” Taemin muttered, “it was really good.”

 

Minho nodded his acknowledgment, but said nothing else.

 

“So,” Taemin began, “now what? You let me sleep in your home and fed me a meal, but have you decided what to do with me, seeing as over night I have not magically become a woman?”

 

Minho unlaced his fingers and sat back in his chair as well. “Yes, I have decided. Even though you are a boy, you are still here due to my request, there for you are still my responsibility.”

 

“I can stay?” Taemin tried to hide it, but the feeling of excitement that fluttered in his full belly, seemed to take them both by surprise.  Minho’s big eyes widened and he took a moment to reply.

 

“Well, yes,” he looked a little relieved, “I must say, I expected more of an argument from you. Not many people would willingly reside in a castle with a beast.”

 

Taemin slumped his shoulders in a shrug, “I figured if you intended to harm me, you would have done so last night after finding out you had been deceived.”

 

“I see. Well, in regards to my curse, I want to inform you of several rules I need you to follow. When the sun goes down each night that is when I turn.  I will remain in the east wing of the castle and I want you to remain respectively in the west during the night. Is that understood?”

 

“Yes.” Taemin had no opposition of hunting in the dark for the monster the man would become and felt slightly reassured that he knew he wouldn’t come looking for him either. 

 

“Good, other than that you are welcome to any other parts of the castle. I do not use many of the rooms so they may be in poor condition. The grounds are over grown with thorns so I don’t advise too much wondering outside. And meals will be eaten here,” he paused ever so briefly, “and together.”

 

“Your rules seem simple enough, is that really all you expect of me?” Minho gave him a questioning look. “I mean, I can earn my stay. Before, I was responsible to cleaning and cooking for the rest of the family, and I am not opposed to work.”

 

Minho stared at him hard, thinking about the boy’s offer. “In that case there is something I will request of you. Here, come with me.”  He stood and quickly exited the room out the same swinging door he had come in.  His long legs made his stride much wider than Taemin’s and the boy had to almost run to keep up, bare feet slapping the stone walk way in echo to the clack of Minho’s black shoes. 

 

It was a service corridor that lead to a small but well used kitchen.  Taemin only had a chance to glance around and see an old stone stove and ancient looking pans, and hanging meat scattered all around.  But Minho did not even pause. Instead he went to a half open Dutch style door and opened the bottom half.  It lead outside and Taemin felt the warmth of the sun as they walked into the dirt path. 

 

Chickens fluttered out of their way with wild squawking and Taemin nearly jumped in surprise but Minho was hardly phased.  He kept walking, ignoring the disgruntled cackling as he passed.  It was a small enclosure and Taemin saw a small, poorly built coop, broken dishes in line for a trough, and a small shack of a building off set from the rest of the castle, but looked like its wooden walls could be just as old.

 

The door to the little dwelling was slightly open and from inside Taemin heard a strange amount of noise, a kind of shuffling and whining. Minho stopped just out side the door.

 

“She is in there, and she has gotten her foot stuck in a loose board. But she won’t let me get close enough to help her.” Minho looked irritated and Taemin horribly confused. But rather than ask questions he quickly stepped past Minho, to free what ever was being kept in the shed; not having any idea what to expect. 

 

Several goats, a few with budding horns milled in the darkness shack and paid Taemin no mind as he entered.  Minho appeared at the door, however and they collectively shifted to the far side.

 

“She is the one along the back wall there.” Minho directed Taemin. Heart racing, the boy pushed several of the goats out of his way until he found a single goat that was not wondering like the others, and had no horns on its head.  And sure enough, one of its spindly legs was caught and bloody in a broken board of the floor.  Taemin would have let out a small laugh of relief if the poor animal didn’t look like it was in pain. She was making an awful wheezing noise, and her rectangular pupil was small and fixated on Taemin. 

 

Slowly, Taemin moved next to her, and felt the other goats move close to him as he inspected their injured friend.  At first he picked away at the broken board careful not to disturb the leg, until he was sure that with one pull he could free her. 

 

Once her leg was free, she darted past Taemin and out of the shed into the sun light.  Bravely the other followed her, past Minho and into the small pasture.  Taemin reemerged from the shed to stand next to Minho and watch the goats prance in tiny field.  He found a rock nearby and placed it in the hole to avoid more falling in the future. 

 

“Why won’t they get close to you?” Taemin asked as they watched the goats.

 

“They can sense it, the beast that is inside me. I have always spooked animals.” Minho’s voice distant and Taemin felt a small amount of pity.  “You seem to be the first creature not to run from my presence, and it is because I forced you here.”

 

Taemin wasn’t sure what to say.  He felt the cold of the air bite at his toes and move through his thin clothes.  He knelt down to hug his own knees to his chest.  He watched a spotty little hen making its way towards them, its beady eye darting between Taemin and Minho.  Taemin picked up a stick from the dirt and held it out for the chicken to inspect.  Taking choppy steps it came as close as it dared, taking the stick from Taemin's hand and dropping it on the ground again.  It cocked its tiny head to the side looking at Minho.  Taemin slowly with drew his hand and the chicken followed his fingers several steps closer before he rested his hand on top of Minho’s shiny black shoe. 

 

“You have not yet given me a reason to run from you,” Taemin said, hoping Minho would understand. The chicken darted its head out and tested the shoe, before realizing there was no food here and waddling away. 

 

Taemin blocked the sun with his hand and looked up at Minho. He was still watching the spotty chicken run, but a small smile had moved his normally straight mouth.  He looked away from the little animal and down at Taemin.  “Come, let us go back inside.” 

 

 

 

 

(A/N; Happy Halloween friends!)