CHAPTER ONE: HOME SWEET HOME

Childhood Memories

Kim Minseok

          It was a fine morning; the sweet scent of summer air enveloped the place nice and warm. I got up from my bed and stretched my tired muscles. I fixed my bed and looked on the other side of the room to see my sister still asleep on her bed. I chuckled and went to the bathroom to do my routine.

It has been 8 years since we’ve been in Korea, and since Chanyeol left with his parents and sister. I sighed as I remembered the scene once more. I never heard about him or his sister, which name is still unknown to me, in all these years. All I know is that they migrated to Canada under the Permanent Residence Visa of their mom. My heart sank to my stomach once more as I noted on the possibility that they would never come back.

I shook all the negativity aside and continued with my routine. I hurriedly went down as I tried to put my socks at the same time. It was the beginning of summer break and I got the habit of jogging in the morning. I tied my shoe laces and grabbed my water bottle and headed out as I greeted my mom and dad a ‘good morning’.

Just when I was out of the house a white 4-seat Mercedes Benz crossover parked in front of the house I’ve always watched – Chanyeol’s house. My heart drummed fast in my chest and my breath hitched when the car came into a halt. I swallowed the formed lump in my throat as I thought of the possibility of who might be the one inside the car.

The three doors of the car opened, leaving the passenger seat in the front row closed. And there came into view a tall, lean and fair man. It was him, the face I’ve longed to see after all these years, the same person that haunted my dreams – Chanyeol. He obviously grew taller, and his looks have matured, but he still had his signature goofy wide smile, showing his pearly white teeth. He wore a blue and white ombré v-neck shirt, with the royal blue fading to white. He paired it with some white skinny jeans and some black mid-cut shoes, his black backpack hanging carelessly on his right shoulder, while his hair was tousled messily on his sharp but gentle face, his messy bangs falling just right above his eyebrows.

He took a deep breath and sighed contentedly as he looked around the place. His eyes spotted mine and his smile widened, and that was when I almost, almost, dropped the bottle in my hand. Flustered, I bowed lightly and dashed my way from him toward my destination – the park nearby. My movement came from a sprint to a jog down to a total halt. I panted lightly as I placed my hands on my knees as my torso bended lightly. After catching my breath I stood upright and walked the remaining distance. Once I reached the park I placed my bottle on one of the benches and did some stretching. I then did my usual work out and after an hour I stopped.

I sat on the bench and drank my water as I panted lightly. I inhaled deeply to calm my mind and focused on the surroundings. The grasses were a mint green and swayed with the wind in a harmonious way. The trees which were planted beside the benches stood high and mighty as they supported some of the children that were climbing on them. The different flowers that were planted along the side walk bloomed gracefully, with the wind making their petals dance. The other joggers were still going on at it, and some were resting like me. Some brought their dogs along, while some came with their sons or daughters.

But then my mind blurred out the beautiful scenery and focused onto something, onto someone. His messy dyed auburn brown locks that swayed along with the wind, those pools of chocolate brown orbs that tempted me to look at them all day, that playful curve formed by his lips as they twitched into the smile I’ve always known, those perfect teeth, and that pointy nose; the total image of him once again wormed its way to my mind, and I sighed defeated.

I still can’t believe it, Chanyeol was home! There, on the flesh, in front of our house, with a smile. He smiled at me! Oh my God, he smiled at me. And I ran off just like that. But still, he smiled at me! I felt a smile creeping its way on my lips and I did nothing to stop it. A contented sigh left my lips as I stood up, ready to go home. My mind felt bubbly and blood ran thick into my veins, as my heart thumped faster on my chest as I went nearer and nearer our house.

The route I took was the one that would pass by Chanyeol’s cousins’ place, and when I did pass by it I couldn’t help but turn my head over and look if Chanyeol was around. And to my surprise (delightful surprise), Chanyeol was indeed there with his sister giving souvenirs to their cousins, with their backs facing me. When Chanyeol made a turning motion, I felt heat creep up my cheeks and I pushed myself faster and got home before he even noticed me.

I didn’t notice I held my breath until I exhaled exasperatedly, my heart still beating wildly. I pushed myself from the door towards the kitchen as I removed my shoes at the same time. The sweet smell of syrup filled my nostrils, and the freshly cooked pancakes made my mouth water. It was then followed by the aroma of coffee and smell of toasted bread. I reached to get one of the toasts only to get my hand swatted by my mother. I whined at her as I nursed my hand.

“Go upstairs and change your clothes before you get sick. And wake your sister up while you’re at it, dear.” My mom smiled at me. I huffed and mumbled an ‘okay’ and went on my way. I got a change of clothes and went to the bathroom. I came out after a good 10 minutes and I scooped the dirty clothes and dumped them into the laundry basket. I glanced up my sister and sighed annoyed. I shook my sister but she didn’t budge. I shook her rougher this time, and she stirred in her sleep as she mumbled inaudible things.

“Wake up, you sleeping monster. I want to eat breakfast and I can’t if you aren’t downstairs yet,” I shook her once more and she only groaned in frustration as she covered her face with the sheets once more. I rolled my eyes and forcefully removed the covers.

“Wake up, Sohee!” I groaned as I shook her violently. She answered with another groan as she slowly sat up, still half lidded. She squeezed her eyes shut as soon as she saw the light coming from the window and furrowed her eyebrows and yawned loudly, and in a un-lady like manner. She stretched her arms and I heard some of her bones crack, and her hair was tousled all over the place.

“Good morning, nest-head,” I chuckled at her appearance and earned a glare from her. “Hurry up, I’m hungry,”

“Fine, just a minute. Now get out,” she ordered and I didn’t think twice and left her in our room. I went down to the dining room and sat on my spot. My mom just finished up the eggs and bacon while my father was already seated, parallel with me, with his mug of coffee on his right as he read the newspaper.

Sohee came down after some minutes with her casual clothes and neatly combed hair. She greeted us a ‘good morning’ as she sat on her seat beside me, and as mom seated in front of her, beside dad. After giving thanks, we picked our desired food and filled our plates. We were focused on eating, and so the only thing heard was the clattering of our utensils, until mom broke the silence.

“Have you seen the neighbors in front?”

“Are you talking about those from Canada?” Dad asked, as he picked another pancake.

“Yes, they grew up as really fine siblings, especially the guy,”

“Wait, they’re back? Those siblings who lived in front of us who loved playing 8 years ago,” Sohee asked as she grabbed a strip of bacon.

“Yes and the young man grew up to be really handsome,” mom noted as she smiled.

“Oh my gosh, really? That guy was my all time crush!” Sohee exclaimed excitedly as she gripped on her fork, shaking it violently, and with that I almost spat out my juice, almost.

“Sohee, you have a boyfriend,” I reminded her as I placed down my glass.

“So? That doesn’t mean I can’t have a crush,” she said as she raised her brow, but then she smirked and narrowed her eyes on me. “Maybe you like him, huh, Minseok?”

My mom and dad snapped their heads towards me and I felt a blush creeping its way to my cheeks, I bit my tongue to calm myself down. “I don’t,” I simply muttered, but with the blush at my cheeks I’m pretty sure they thought otherwise.

My dad chuckled as my mom squealed, “Aigoo, my baby Minnie has a very good taste,”

“Stop it mom,” I looked down in embarrassment, as I nudged the egg on my plate with my fork. Sohee then laughed hysterically as my dad got up and ruffled my hair, and he picked his vest and briefcase.

“Going already?” My mom asked as she too got up and went towards dad. She placed her hand on his crooked tie and fixed it while dad puts on his vest. Sohee cringed at the sight as she turned back on her breakfast, noting on how cliché mom and dad were. I, too, quickly brought back my attention on my food with a slight shiver as my mom leaned in for a peck.

“Bye kiddos,” My dad called as he stepped out of the house.

“Bye dad!” Sohee and I exclaimed in unison. My mom then came back on her seat and we finished breakfast.

I was watching Spongebob in the living room while Sohee was on the phone with her boyfriend and my mom was on the computer watching some cooking shows when the doorbell rang. Being the one nearest person from the door, I grumbled as I got up and opened it. I immediately froze when the door opened and there came into view the siblings. He smiled at me as he held a paper bag up, with his sister behind him, smiling.

“Good morning, Kim residence, may I ask if your mom is around?” His deep voice sent chills up my spine. For a moment I couldn’t answer and kept on staring at him, my hand still on the door knob.

“Uh, excuse me, is your mom around?” He once again asked, the smile on his lips turned into an awkward curve.

“Ah, uh, sorry ‘bout that,” I cleared my throat then hesitantly turned my head around. “Mom, someone’s here for you,”

“Who is it?” my mom’s voice called, and then she came into view. Her questioning face turned to a bright and approachable smile as she saw them in the doorway.

“Oh my, come in, come in. Minseok, why didn’t you invite them in?” My mom said as she ushered them to go in and gave me a disapproving look. They smiled and shook their head, still at the doorway.

“It’s okay Mrs. Kim, we won’t take long anyway,” Chanyeol said as he handed the paper bag to my mom. “This is a souvenir from us, they’re quite simple, but we hope you like them though.”

“Thank you…” mom trailed off as she held the bag.

“Oops, I haven’t introduced myself,” he chuckled and continued. “I’m Chanyeol ma’am. And this is my sister, Yoora. We’d be bothering you again.” He said as they bowed lightly. Upon hearing the names my sister came bolting, her jaw agape and her phone still pressed on her ears. She mumbled an ‘I’ll call you back’ and walked slowly behind me. Chanyeol and Yoora smiled upon seeing her.

“And this are my children, Minseok,” mom pointed at me, “and Sohee,” she pointed at her. We both bowed lightly and they returned the gesture.

“Nice to meet you,” Chanyeol and Yoora said simultaneously.

“Same here,” I said and Sohee did the most embarrassing thing I could imagine. She grabbed Chanyeol’s hand and shook it violently. He in turn looked surprised but shook her hand in return nonetheless. I heard Yoora giggle behind him and she stepped up in front with an envelope at hand.

“We are also inviting you to our home coming party, it’s about 5 days from now,” she said as handed the black envelope which had a black and gold ribbon as decoration. Mom received it and opened it. There were 4 tickets inside, and it says that we were invited to the post graduation party of Chanyeol, and so was their home coming celebration.

“It would be a simple dinner party with friends and relatives, in line with my graduation party and the celebration of our stay here in Korea. We really do hope you’d join us,” Chanyeol said, his smile never leaving his lips.

“When did you graduate, dear?” mom asked as she replaced the tickets inside the envelope.

“I graduated a month ago but I wanted to celebrate here in Korea so I insisted with my mom to hold the party at home and here we are, our parents can’t come, though, they’re still in charge of some paper works back there,”

“Oh, that’s a pity. But, congratulations, and of course we’ll come, and please, call me auntie,” she patted his shoulder.

“Thank you auntie, we’ll be expecting you by 8 in the evening,” he bowed once more and so did Yoora.

“We’ll be going then, we’ll still deliver some of the invitations,” Yoora smiled as they began to depart.

“See you around,” my mom called.

“See you too, auntie,” Chanyeol smiled, “Sohee, Minseok,” he nodded at us and all I did was blush while Sohee squealed.

As mom closed the door I heard a low chuckle and a high pitch giggle and something that sounds like ‘Are you happy now, Chanyeol?’ and a deep voice saying ‘Of course,’ or maybe it was just my imagination.