Chapter 4

Beautiful Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho watched in pure male appreciation at the sight of Shin Hye strolling towards him, hips swaying gently, unconsciously seducing him with each step she took. She was dressed modestly in a flowing summer dress, but nothing could hide her innate sensuality.  Now, she also had that new mantle of motherhood draped softly around her which he found incredibly y.

He couldn't take his eyes off of her and she knew it, because she was looking straight at him, her lips turned up in amusement.  She was beautiful, maybe even more so now than three years ago. She no longer had that sad, haunted look that was always lurking in the back of her eyes.  Even when she was happy with him back then, there was still the burden of her past that had prevented her from truly being happy.  But now, she was genuinely happy with life.  She had a family that adored her. She had a home where she was wanted.  She had friends who liked her.  And she had a fulfilling job that she enjoyed.

It was a bittersweet feeling for him.  He was happy that she was happy, but he had wanted to be the one who took away her sadness and bring her happiness.  He had wanted to give her the family that adored her.  He had wanted to provide her with a safe home.  He felt cheated somehow.

A sudden breeze blew strands of shiny hair around her face.  When she swept her hair back and tucked it behind her ear, her fingers unconsciously traced the scar on her temple.

He inhaled sharply as the pain instantly clawed at his heart.  The scar.  It was a constant reminder that he had almost lost her.  It raised all his protective instincts.  He never wanted to see her in pain again.  He was here now and he would do everything in his power to ensure that she would not have to endure any more hurt.  He was going to make sure she and Eun Sook were always happy and content.

Earlier today, he finally had a long talk with her surrogate parents.  Her father was also the doctor who had treated her when she was in the coma.  He had been patiently waiting for the older man to return to the village after being on call at a hospital in Daegu for the last couple of days.  He had a burning need to know everything about Shin Hye's accident and what he needed to do to help her, to keep her safe.

Shin Hye's surrogate father had worked in Seoul and Busan before coming back to work in the small mountain village where he was born.  Shin Hye was lucky to have been his patient. When he found that she had lost her memory, he had taken her to visit several of his colleagues for opinions.  They had all decided that she must have had a traumatic experience that caused her mind to block her memory, but without a past story or anyone who knew her, there was nothing they could do.  After a year of being questioned and probed but still no memory of her previous life, they had given up.  Shin Hye had made the decision not to pursue her past.  She wanted to live a nice quiet life with her daughter and her surrogate parents in their sleepy mountain village.

Her father was opposed to Min Ho taking Shin Hye and Eun Sook back to Seoul too soon.  He had cautioned Min Ho about trying to help Shin Hye get her memory back.  It should be done by a doctor.  It should be a slow, controlled process because he was concerned that it would be too traumatic for Shin Hye if it happened too quickly.

Min Ho opened up to the older couple, understanding their protectiveness, knowing full well how Shin Hye inspired that kind of reaction in everyone.  He confided in the doctor about the murder of Shin Hye's family,  growing up in a rough neighborhood with an uncaring Halmoni, and her plan to avenge her family.  He told them everything about Shin Hye, about himself, and about the reason she had run away.  He hadn't realized how much he needed to get that off his chest until he was done.  Shin Hye's mother had reacted with compassion taking his hand to comfort him while he was talking.  He had been grateful for her kindness.

As much as it pained him to know that Shin Hye didn't remember him and the love they had shared, he didn't want Shin Hye to get her memory back.  He didn't want her to have those painful memories.  He didn't want to see her sad and worried again.  All he wanted now was his family.  He wanted to love Shin Hye and Eun Sook and to protect them and keep them safe. 

After some quiet, back and forth discussion, her father had taken pity on him.  He still didn't want think it was a good idea to take Shin Hye back to Seoul too soon, but he had advised him to tell Shin Hye about her past in little bits and pieces so that she would have time to take it in and process it.  He thought that she should know about her past.  Memory was a tricky thing.  It could come back at any time and when it came back,  it was better that she knew about her past, then letting it come crashing back all at once.  It could overwhelm her and leave her more damaged.

 

 

"Hi." Shin Hye stopped in front of Min Ho with a shy but amused smile on her face.  He was reclining on the park bench with his long legs stretched out in front of him.  He looked relaxed, almost slumberous.  But she had seen the look in his hooded eyes as she had been walking towards him.  It had made her pulse quicken.  Every feminine bone in her body responded to his masculine appraisal.  The bloom in her cheeks was not from the sun's heat.

Min Ho saw the awareness flaring in her eyes when she stopped in front of him. She had been opening up to him a little every day, just like a rosebud, petal by petal as he wooed her and showered her with love.

"Hi." He stood up eager to be close to her.  He longed to wrap his arms around her and kiss those smiling lips.  But the whole village was watching them, which made it impossible for him to do just that.  But she did let him hold her hand.

He held out his hand to her.  She put her smaller hand into his without any hesitation.  She smiled as he pulled a rose from behind his back to hand her.  His landlady made sure he had a flower to give to Shin Hye every time he visited her.  He made sure that there were no thorns that could prick her fingers, before he gave it to her.  He was still uneasy about fairy tale mishaps.

"Omma."  Eun Sook came running up with a floppy eared toy in her arms.  She had been showing her new toy off to the older kids from Shin Hye's class while they were waiting.

"Look.  A rabbit."  She held the stuffed animal up for Shin Hye to see.  "Appa gave me a rabbit."

Shin Hye squatted down and hugged her daughter close, kissing her chubby little cheeks, making her giggle. Even if it was only for a couple of hours, she missed her baby.  Eun Sook was a bundle of joy, always happy and cheerful.

Eun Sook wrapped her little arms around her neck and kissed her on the cheeks just as she had been kissed. Giggling as she was being tickled.

Min Ho gazed tenderly at the show of affection between mother and daughter.  The beautiful picture they made always took his breath away.  He never knew he could love like this and the love kept growing everyday.

"You're spoiling her."  Shin Hye stood up and shook her head lightly at him.

"It's my right as her father."  He had three years to make up for.  He had given Eun Sook a little token every time he saw her.  He had a sack full of toys and knick knacks in his room.

Shin Hye could only shake her head at him.  She couldn't blame him.  He obviously adored his daughter.

"What else have you been giving her?"  Shin Hye had noticed the little bits of cake crumbs on Eun Sook's sky blue dress.

He looked up at the sky with what he thought was an innocent look, but Shin Hye knew better.  She swatted his arm and let it pass.  She was a pushover for him and his daughter.

Min Ho chuckled.  For the last few days, he had been watching Eun Sook while Shin Hye worked.  Then he and Eun Sook would meet her after her Tae Kwon Do class and they would walk down to the meadow to have a family picnic date.

After the first day, he didn't even have to pack a picnic basket.  By some sort of tacit agreement among the ajummas, everyday there had been a picnic basket shoved into his hand when he headed out to pick Shin Hye up.

They were usually accompanied by some of her students.  He had dubbed them the seven dwarfs because, by coincidence, there were usually seven students and they were always around and underfoot.  Today, however, they must have decided that it was boring to hang out with the adults, because they waved good byes and took off in the opposite direction.

"Where are the seven dwarfs going?" He asked Shin Hye as they watched the departing students.

Shin Hye laughed, shaking her head at his quirky imagination.  She would never have pegged him for the type of guy who believed in fairy tales.  She secretly found it charming.

Min Ho watched Shin Hye as her eyes followed her departing pupils. 

"Ara and Jin Ho are your favorites." He had seen her special affection for the two kids who didn't seem to have any parents.  He was curious about them.

"They're orphans."  She turned back to him before answering.  "They live with their Halmoni, but she's too busy trying to make ends meet to spend a lot of time with them.  But she cares for them greatly."

"They can't afford to pay money, so they pay with food."  She didn't understand why, but a cloud of sadness comes over her when she thought of the children's situation.

"Ara reminds me of you."  He squeezed her hand reassuringly seeing the sadness in her eyes.

Shin Hye smiled at him.  Her interest perked because she knew he was going to provide another bit of information about her past. He never pushed the past on her.  He let her bring it up and he would fill in the blanks.  She appreciated him for that.

"You and your cousin Seung Ho were both raised by your Halmoni."  She knew about Seung Ho and her uncle in Seoul. She also knew that he hadn't told them yet.

"We were orphans?" Her brows furrowed in confusion.  "I thought you said that I had a cousin and an uncle."

"You do.  Your mother couldn't take care of you so she left you with your Halmoni.  Seung Ho's father did the same."  He gave her the short, less sad version of her childhood.

"We were abandoned by our parents.  How sad."  Shin Hye formed her own conclusion.  She appreciated how he tried to paint a happier past for her.  But she could sense that he was only telling her half truths.  Hers wasn't a happy past.

"You were stronger. You were the protector.  Seung Ho was the bookworm."  Ara and Jin Ho's  story was remarkably similar to her own childhood, except that Ara and Jin Ho's halmoni loved and doted on them.  And, they had the whole village raising them.

"Why did you become a Tae Kwon Do teacher?"  He was curious how she found out about her talent.

"One day I was watching some little boys play fighting at the park.  I just started to correct their form.  Then I started to show them how to punch and kick.  It felt natural.  It became apparent I had been trained in the martial arts." It was a year after her accident and she had been feeling restless and trying to find her role in the village.  It had felt good to connect with the children. 

"It doesn't earn much money, but it gives the kids something to do and I really enjoy working with them.  The smile on their faces when they master each move.  It's really a joy to witness."  She found fulfillment in helping the young kids become physically and mentally strong. It gave purpose and meaning to her life to help the children.

Min Ho smiled at the irony. This from the woman who, three years ago,  had been uncomfortable around children, hadn't wanted children.  However, he knew she would be wonderful with kids.  She had so much love to give.

"You have been trained to fight since you were 13 years old.  Your uncle owns a boxing gym so he taught you martial arts and kickboxing."  He confirmed her talent, but he was a little hesitant to tell her why she had to learn to fight.  He couldn't bring himself to tell her the sad parts of her past. 

"You play with knives too."  He added just for fun, watching her face light up with glee.  He could tell she liked the fact that she had been strong and fierce.

"Wow.  I am trained in the martial arts, I can kickbox, and I play with knives?"  Her smile changed. She was impressed with herself.

"You were blood thirsty."   He couldn't resist adding.

They both looked at Eun Sook, who had run ahead of them picking wildflowers off the path.  Then turning back to each other, they burst out into laughter.

"You even made me fight you."  He enjoyed seeing the pleasure on her face.  He wanted her to continue being impressed by her abilities. 

"Did I take you down?" Her smile was cocky.  She was confident enough in her fighting skills to know that she had taken him down and was amused by it.

He nodded his answer as his mind shot back to the past and the last time he had seen that cocky smile.  She had been magnificent to see because the mat was the one place that she had been confident in herself and her abilities.  He may have won that match, but she had taken him down and he had been down for the last three years.

Shin Hye saw that flicker of pain in his eyes before he hid it away.  The past.  She suspected that she was the reason for his pain.

"Does it bother you that I don't remember the past?"  She had to confirm her suspicion.

"No."  He frowned at her question, not sure where she was coming from.  He didn't mind feeding her the past.  Maybe he could make it less sad for her by the time she knew the full story.

"Do you think I'm a coward for not wanting to know about my past?"  Not yet.  She wasn't ready.  She wasn't scared, more anxious and worried about what she would learn about herself.

"No.  I don't think you're a coward for not wanting to know."   His eyes didn't quite match his smile.  He was telling the truth, but it didn't mean

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter