-- end

Illusion

"Okay class, we will be having a new transfer student." The teacher announced despite how the class did not pay attention at all. She fixed her eyes on me briefly, and ushered me to enter the class room.

I walked in and the noise died down, now feeling all eyes on me.

"Go on, sweetie. Introduce yourself." Ms. Claire, who seemed too young and fuzzy to be a teacher, insisted.

Biting back a reluctant sigh, I shoved my hands into my pockets and maintained a stoic face. "I'm Kris Wu." I said, and I turned to look at the unfamiliar set of faces before me.

But it was then I saw her, sitting at the back seat.

-

I was seated at the third row on the left, just by the shelves. It's been hours since I last entered the room, and I could still feel their gazes on me—curious, judging, wondering, and by the look on the faces of a few females, they were simply feigning attraction.

It felt weird, but I'm not that numb not to feel. I just let it be.

It's always like this, anyway.

Propping my elbow on top of my desk, I lazily eyed Ms. Claire—she's discussing Trigonometry—I hate that subject.

Angles and functions and other crap passed by, but I found myself looking at the girl sitting in front of me. She was checking herself out in her pocket mirror. I bit back my lip in attempt of muttering a rude comment regarding such vanity, but at some point, I saw a glimpse of the girl sitting at the back seat.

And suddenly, I don't know what happened.

Not one of the lessons had sunk into my brain.

I was too occupied on staring at her rather than paying attention in class.

It felt right, for once.

-

The next day, I was late for Chemistry class. They were conducting an experiment when I entered the lab. I shrugged aside the unpleasant comments the professor told me as I showed up.

Instead, my eyes kept looking for someone—that girl—and found her sitting at the back seat of the lab, taking notes.

I blindly took a seat beside someone, my eyes still fixed on her. I didn't know why I kept looking at her, I just do, I guess. And it's that moment that I actually took notice of her stunning features.

She had long brown hair, it looked so soft and wavy. Loose strands partially covered the half of her face. Her skin was pale, but her rosy lips complemented its lack of colour. Her nose was carved down to a sleek point. There were slightly puffy cheeks below a pair of round, innocent eyes that seemed to be half lidded most of the time. I looked closer and saw that shade of caramel brown that clouded her irises.

For the first time, I felt breathless with one look.

-

Weeks later, I gained friends. They were surprisingly welcoming. It was kinda new to me since I didn't have a stable friend back in Vancouver.

But yeah, those guys are cool.

We get to hang out during breaks and after classes. They'd bring their girls at times that I couldn't help myself but to feel that tiny pang of jealousy.

I always thought of her during those times. And believe it or not, I have never found out what her name was.

That only ignited the curiosity within me.

And I need to know her name.

I need to make her mine.

-

The bell rang and it's time for lunch break.

I discreetly turned my head towards her direction; she was closing her notebook and fixing her things.

"Dude, come on." Luhan tapped me on the shoulder, urging me to hurry up.

For a split second, I spat out a lame excuse. "Sorry, Lu, I'm going to the library to work on our Thesis chapter." I smiled apologetically, earning a baffled look from him. 

Yes. I have never felt so pathetic in my life.

"Alright then," he murmured. "If you're done, we'll be at the table."

I nodded, then he left.

Quickly, I stuffed everything inside my bag and slung it across my shoulders.

'This is it. I'm going to talk to her.' I mentally told myself.

I stood up, my legs carried me towards the back seat when a sudden realization struck me.

She's not there anymore.

-

It's been a while since I tried to get close to that girl, but it seemed as if good luck was not on my side ever since I had set my mind to it.

One time, she went inside the comfort room and I secretly waited for her outside. Classes had already ended and she never came out.

In class, I tried to pass a note, addressing to the girl at the back; I asked for her name. The note came back to me minutes later, the name 'Jessica' was written in pink smudgy ink with a tiny heart at the side. I looked back with a slightly expectant look on my face when a blonde female met my eyes instead. She winked, and I was left dumbfounded.

Since then, I guessed that the best way to converse with her was to be more personal.

Because I swear, I want to slap somebody so hard after that embarrassing incident.

-

It was Trigonometry class again, and I didn't care. I set my eyes on her for the nth time since the class had started. She looked the same since I first saw her a few months ago. She was still radiantly pale, she had her hair loose and it cascaded down her shoulders in a wavy flow. She wore the same white blouse, and it made me come up to a realization that she was wearing it almost everyday. Nonetheless, it didn't matter.

What bothered me more was how laying her head low hid her beauty, as always. And it saddened me somehow.

I want to see her face, up close, her eyes meeting mine with a warm smile crossing her lips..

I couldn't help it.

I tapped Luhan's shoulder.

"Yeah?" He turned to face me, stopping from taking his notes.

I fidgeted with the cap of my pen and asked, "Who's the girl sitting there?" I blindly pointed my pen at the the back part of the room.

Luhan's brows furrowed. "Who? You mean Jessica?" He eyed the blonde female seating not too far away. "Is she your type? Man, that girl's clearly head over heels for you." He grinned sheepishly.

A wave of bewilderment crossed my face at the thought of that humiliating encounter with Jessica.

I shot him a look. "Um, no. I mean.. the back seat."

"What?" Luhan was downright puzzled.

"What's the name of the girl seating at the back seat?" I stressed out every word, getting quite impatient.

His expression became unreadable. "Are you messing with me?" He quirked up an eyebrow. "Dude, there's no one sitting at the back seat ever since the school year had started."

I froze.

Luhan clicked his tongue and resumed to his notes.

Slowly, I turned my head towards her.

There she sat straight, meeting my eyes for the first time. She looked a whole lot pale, her face thinner than before. There was a maniacal glint in her eyes.

I held my breath—then the corners of her lips curled up into a smile.