A dizzy stargazer

Dead and alive

Jiyong threw his backpack to a scuffing trunk of an old pine, took a deep breath and tilted his head up to the night sky. Thousands of tiny lights filled his sight - stars. Stars were his compass in this damned arena and also something, what reminded him of home, childhood, his sister and long evenings they spent watching them at the scented meadow near the borders of District One.

He and Jisung sometimes raced, who will make up more new alternative constellations. It was always him, who was more fascinated by them, and who was always thinking what could be beyond them, but his sister always agreed to be his company at the meadow.

He sweared he will see her again. She's probably watching him now, knowing exactly what he's thinking of.

His eyes lazily scanned the sky, from glowing star masses to lonely starlets, till they found, what they sought. Ursa major. It was twelve years ago, when his father showed him the constellation for the first time. He still remembers his cold numb fingers inside dad's warm hand, and his second hand, aiming up to the sky, outlining the shape of the constellation. "If you extend the two front stars' distance six times, you'll spot the North Star or Polaris. Try it." "There?" asked Jiyong and pointed up. His father caressed his hair: "Yeah, right there. Remember, if you're able to find Polaris, you'll never get lost. It always directs to North."

He would also like to see his father again.

However, for the moment this heavy, clumsy and not very smart muff obstructs him. The boy who's getting through the green and gasps like the half of the arena can sure hear him. Jiyong didn't know, what went into him when he agreed with alliance with Seunghyun, but he surely wasn't fully conscious that time. Otherwise he would never take him. Thanks to his ally's loudness today's dinner will be roots. There's no chance some animal stayed by. Roots...Jiyong's stomach growled in disagreement. His head knew that this is the minor problem, but if he wants to survive, he should get rid of his fellow as soon as possible. Jiyong liked this idea. Chivalrous honour was never his thing. He will probably get rid of him tonight, the sooner the better. But they'll have dinner first.

"What are you staring at?" Seunghyun tumbled to the tree trunk and attacked his water bottle. Watching how implicitly he drunk, rage started boiling in Jiyong. He fought for that bottle to death at the Cornucupia... Together with some knifes, a bow, a rope and a repellent it was all they had. "Just drink," he thought, "anyway you won't be with me anymore at the time I will need to search for new water.

"I'm staring at the stars, intelligent, so that I can orientate here!" Jiyong's aversion to Seunghyun was no secret between them, but the other boy evidently didn't mind it at all. "Hmm...and what did you find out?" "That we're heading to Southeast." "So what?" "So nothing!" Jiyong almost shouted now, "I just feel better when I'm orientated, that's all! And, by the way, you don't know when it can be useful!" "Kay, okay," Seunghyun raised his hands in a protective gesture, "calm down, buddy!"

Jiyong kicked in a shrunken death cap. A death cap? Good to know that mushorooms could be around. He turned to Seunghyun: "I'll get something for dinner. You'll think up how we will sleep. I don't mind sleeping on the tree, but in your case it of course won't be that easy. So try to use that thing on your neck and be creative!" He grabbed his bow and a knife (not because there would be a chance that he will catch something, but in case he would meet another Tribute) and dissappeard in the wood.

After fifteen minutes he had a few types of roots, pine seeds, salvia, cranberries and a few edibles. The most of the mushorooms he didn't know at all, and now he regreted that he didn't pay attention to them during the training. He wanted to set some traps but he left the rope in the camp. Resisting the loud "no" his stomach just growled, he decided to return for it and try to conjure something from it. It would be awesome to have a rabbit for breakfast...

Boom! Suddenly something hit his calf, right under the knee. Jiyong suddenly became dizzy and his world broke into pieces. Into pieces? No...rather something like little papers. Cute little papers that explode and then fall to the ground in circular motions. They belong to birthday cake. How are they called? Con...conf...conf...confetti? That's it boy, confetti! Awwwww! Jiyong's calf started pulsing. With the last remains of his sanity he realized, that something must've bitten him. Something big and poisonous with a hallucinogenic venom. And then he better forgot it all immersed into a invitive world of adorable flying papers. 

 

When he woke up, he felt like someone have put his brain into a mixer and the rest of his body into a coffee grinder and then tried to stick his bodyparts together again. His head pulsed, his hair was sweaty, his cheeks were hot, he didn't feel one of his legs and he saw two rising suns on the sky. He thought he heard someone speking but it wasn't louder that a buzz of a bug, hidden in a leaf. And then two identical faces appeared above him. And then confetti started falling from their mouths... Dear confetti friends...he missed them...it's great they are back...