Say Something

Say Something

I don't know if the title is really connected with the story (.__.) but anyway, enjoy!

 

**

 

 

Jongin wanted his life to end. Like, right now.

 

 

He’s standing atop of the bridge. He hated himself. He hated his house. He hated the fact that his parents are already dead, leaving him alone in this world. He hated his job; he’s a waiter at some fast food chain because he can’t get any better than that. He hated how everyone got to live normally, but he can’t. He hated his life.

 

 

He closed his eyes. He wanted to just end all of the sufferings he’s experiencing. With one last sigh, he was about to jump when a voice startled him, causing him to open his lids involuntarily.

 

 

“You going swimming?” The man asked. Jongin’s brows creased. He was annoyed. He was about to end everything, but a stupid question by a stupid someone prevented him from doing so.

 

“No, I’m going to kill myself.” The man laughed heartily, on which Jongin got more confused.

 

“Really? That’s amazing. Any reason behind it?” Jongin rolled his eyes and faced the man angrily.

 

“Because I don’t want to see your face again, that’s why.” The man let out a scoff, doing so much favor to Jongin’s boiling blood.

 

“You wanted to end everything by jumping off this bridge?” The man looked down and saw the river current flow. “That’s quite cowardly, don’t you think?”

 

“What? Jumping off this bridge may or may not kill you, but one thing’s quite clear: you’re running away.” Jongin was taken aback by the stranger’s words.

 

“You’re running away from all the stress, all the problems, that’s why you wanted to kill yourself. Only cowards do that kind of .” The man straightened his pose. “Still going to continue swimming?” Jongin noticed the man’s big eyes, on which he made a comment.

 

“Go away, you annoying little owl.” The man shrugged.

 

“Okay, if you say so.” He turned his back and walked the other direction, never looking back at Jongin.

 

 

Jongin glanced at the river and looked up. Then he decided to just go home.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

The next day, Jongin went to work as usual. He was normal, like he didn’t try to kill himself just yesterday. Once work was done, he walked his way home.

 

 

He passed by the bridge again. It was unavoidable. It was included on his path towards his flat. He stopped abruptly, not to kill himself, but to let the breeze blow by him. It was refreshing, clearing his thoughts.

 

 

Until one annoying voice interrupted him.

 

 

“Going swimming again?”

 

“, just go away, will you?” The man stood beside him and closed his eyes, wanting for some fresh air as well. Jongin had the urge to push him so he could just die already, but he didn’t.

 

“How are you, Kim Jongin?” Jongin’s eyes widened at the sudden statement. The man knew him. How?

 

“You’re a creepy stalker, aren’t you?”

 

“No, I’m not. I just like finding things out by myself.” The man faced him. “I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“I don’t care, just leave me alone.”

 

“Nah uh. Not until I’m sure that you won’t try to jump here anymore.”

 

“I won’t. Now, leave.” Jongin’s voice held full authority, but it didn’t bug Kyungsoo one bit. He remained calm.

 

“I’ve got a story to tell.”

 

“I’m not interested.”

 

“You don’t have to. I just want you to listen to me.”

 

 

In the end, Jongin stayed for almost an hour, listening to a tell-tale about how a man survived all the trials in his life by having some faith in himself. It was childish, really, so Jongin went home, really frustrated because of his wasted time. He should’ve slept, and that’s what he did as he stepped foot on his living space.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

The next day, Jongin got a little problem. His boss wasn’t around, which meant he won’t get any payment for now. But at least, the fast food chain he’s working at is giving free dinner and some take-home food. At least he had something to eat for the night.

 

 

When he finished everything, he knew Kyungsoo would be at the bridge again. And once he got to the place, his thoughts didn’t fail him. He was absolutely right.

 

 

“Have any plans to swim tonight?”

 

“No.” Jongin was about to head straight home, but Kyungsoo pulled him.

 

“Hey, come back here.”

 

“What?” Jongin asked, quite annoyed. He wanted to get some rest after the long day, but this annoying owl named Kyungsoo kept him from doing so.

 

“I have another story. I just wanted you to listen to me.”

 

 

Jongin didn’t know how he ended up sitting on the ground, listening to Kyungsoo’s story about how a man found out about his disease on the same day his parents died. Jongin was absorbed by the story, and wondered how worse it could be. Jongin checked his backpack, and found the food he had from his workplace. He got one bag full of moon cakes, so he took it out to eat. As he was eating, he decided to be a little generous and slumped the bag of moon cakes onto Kyungsoo’s lap.

 

 

“Eat.” Kyungsoo happily ate the moon cakes one by one. Jongin made a mental note to himself to bring more of that for the days yet to come.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Jongin woke up feeling sick the next day. He didn’t know if it’s from almost two hours of listening to Kyungsoo’s story, or from the work he had from the day before. Nevertheless, he took a bath lazily and prepared himself for work. The whole day, Jongin couldn’t think about anything except moon cakes and Kyungsoo and another story waiting for him. As soon as his shift ended, another set of moon cakes was given away to the workers and Jongin got all excited. As he arrived at the bridge, Kyungsoo was there, wearing a very thick sweater.

 

 

“No swimming tonight?” Jongin nodded silently. He felt the cool breeze rush, and Kyungsoo shivered a little. Jongin removed his scarf and placed it around Kyungsoo’s neck.

 

“J-Jongin—“

 

“I’ll swim if you complain.” Kyungsoo’s body settled down after being hugged by the warmth of the piece of cloth from Jongin. Jongin’s body managed to stay strong, but Kyungsoo had a nosebleed while he was telling Jongin a story about how the man (from the previous story, the one who found out his disease on the same day his parents died) met a friend by accident, and how they were always together. Jongin couldn’t care less, and found the story of the night boring. He left Kyungsoo a bag of moon cakes before going home.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Jongin didn’t want to go to work the next day, but his boss is going to be back, which meant money for him. And maybe, just maybe, Kyungsoo would be waiting for him by the bridge again. And that annoying owl got his scarf last night.

 

 

As he finished work for the day (and got some money and another bag of moon cakes), he passed by a store selling scarfs and sweaters for winter. He entered the store unknowingly, and walked out of it with a bag containing a set of scarf, sweater, and gloves. The sizes were small for Jongin, but that’s because he bought it for someone else.

 

 

“Here,” Jongin handed the bag to Kyungsoo. “Wear them for winter.”

 

 

Kyungsoo looked at the bag with his eyes widened (if that’s possible) and took it from Jongin’s hands. As soon as he took out the set of clothes, Jongin held his breath. He wondered if Kyungsoo would like it, or will Kyungsoo throw it to the river and let the clothes swim?

 

 

But Kyungsoo’s heart-shaped smile set him at ease.

 

 

“Thank you, Jongin. I forgot your scarf, I’ll just bring it tomorrow.”

 

 

Jongin didn’t mind if Kyungsoo has his scarf at all. Jongin took out the bag of moon cakes and offered some to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo ate while telling Jongin a story of how the man (yes, the man with the cancer that found it out on the day of his parents’ death, he was the main character of Kyungsoo’s story) had found out that he only had less than a month to live. Jongin was shocked, although he didn’t show it. He was actually following Kyungsoo’s storyline. Jongin also noticed that Kyungsoo didn’t seem to have the appetite today, so he just ate the rest of the moon cakes, not wanting them to go to waste.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

The next days happened. Winter is fast approaching, that’s why Jongin noticed that Kyungsoo is becoming pale and short in breath. Kyungsoo told him not to worry about it, it’s just winter that’s getting onto his nerves. Kyungsoo’s story followed. The man with his friend (that he met by accident, as said earlier) were getting into good terms. Although the man’s friend wasn’t really talking much, the man knew that his friend is enjoying his company.

 

 

One day, Jongin went home from work with two tickets to the winter festival. He rushed to the bridge and showed them to Kyungsoo.

 

 

“Wow, a winter carnival! And you’ve actually got two. Who’re you coming with?” Kyungsoo silently wished that Jongin would ask him to come with him to the festival, because he loves festivals.

 

“I want you to be with me...to the festival.” There was a hint of hesitation on Jongin’s words, but he managed to ask Kyungsoo.

 

 

And Kyungsoo happily said yes.

 

 

While they were travelling on the way to the festival, Kyungsoo continued his story on which Jongin happily listened to. The man with his friend went somewhere to enjoy themselves, because his friend won some tickets. Jongin also noticed that Kyungsoo lost some weight, barely noticeable. Kyungsoo’s losing his appetite more often. Is he on a diet or what?

 

 

“Did you eat before going here?” Kyungsoo was startled by Jongin’s voice. Jongin rarely talks, that’s why.

 

“Oh, uh, yeah. I did.” Jongin took a glance on him one more time before letting his thoughts wander.

 

 

They arrived at the festival before they knew it. A lot of people went, and a lot of activities can be done as well. Jongin and Kyungsoo bought cotton candies, watched a show, and bought some Christmas decorations and such. It’s Christmas Eve, after all.

 

 

And the last thing to be done for the night: watch the fireworks.

 

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo got a good seat on where they can watch the display clearly. Suddenly, Kyungsoo felt dizzy and weak, but he showed no sign to Jongin. A lot of people are coming, and they bump into Kyungsoo occasionally. Jongin noticed this and his instincts did it: he held Kyungsoo’s hand.

 

 

Kyungsoo was surprised by the sudden contact. He looked up to Jongin to ask about it, but Jongin just held his hand tighter. Kyungsoo involuntarily blushed.

 

 

The people started to count down. 10. 9. 8.

 

 

Kyungsoo looked up at the sky, excited to see the flickering lights.

 

 

7. 6.

 

 

Jongin looked down at Kyungsoo. His heart started to get excited. He didn’t know if it’s because of the fireworks, or because of Kyungsoo himself.

 

 

5. 4.

 

 

Kyungsoo felt that a pair of eyes were boring into him. He looked up and saw Jongin staring at him.

 

 

3. 2.

 

 

Kyungsoo stared back.

 

 

1.

 

 

Jongin closed his eyes, lowered his head, and landed his own lips onto Kyungsoo’s.

 

 

Everyone cheered at the loud and colorful explosions on the sky. It looked so nice.

 

 

But for Jongin, his heartbeat was louder than the fireworks. His lips continued kissing Kyungsoo’s until they needed some oxygen. He opened his eyes, only to see a flustered Kyungsoo upon him.

 

 

“Jongin—“

 

“I love you.”

 

Kyungsoo flashed a heart-shaped smile. “I love you, too.”

 

 

Kyungsoo’s story didn’t continue that night.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Jongin went back to work. It’s been exactly 15 days since he met Kyungsoo, but he couldn’t care less. He loves Kyungsoo. He felt it. He didn’t care about what anyone thought about it. All he cares for is Kyungsoo and the feelings that tagged along.

 

 

And not to mention, his birthday is 12 days away. Kyungsoo’s is 10 days away. Today is the second day of January.

 

 

Jongin worked harder than before, earning praises from his boss and a higher amount of salary. He’s been inspired to continue life. Unlike that time at the bridge where he hated everything, literally. But nonetheless, he was thankful he hated life before, because his suicide attempt lead his meeting to the one he loves right now.

 

 

While Jongin is at work, Kyungsoo stays at his house, all alone. Kyungsoo just came out of the bathroom, his mouth fresh from vomiting. He went to go see the doctor, and his sickness only got worse.

 

 

He only had 12 days to live.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

“So the man found out that he only had 4 days to live.” Kyungsoo told Jongin 8 days later. Kyungsoo had become relatively pale, and some bruises appeared on his skin, that’s why he was always wearing the sweater Jongin gave him.

 

“And? What did he do about it?”

 

“He shared it to his friend. Oh, and the man found out that his friend had romantic feelings for him, and they developed.” Jongin nodded in amusement. He brought out his bag of moon cakes, but Kyungsoo only ate two of them, saying he doesn’t have the appetite.

 

“You’re losing weight.”

 

“I am?” Kyungsoo looked at his body and saw that Jongin’s right. “Oh, yeah, I am. I’m on a diet, actually.” Jongin’s suspicions grew higher, but he chose not to speak. Kyungsoo will tell him if something’s wrong, right? He will.

 

 

Kyungsoo didn’t.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

“Happy birthday, Kyungsoo.” Jongin brought a birthday cake, a lot of moon cakes and some cola. It may look odd, considering they’re celebrating a birthday by the bridge, in the middle of the night. But they didn’t care.

 

 

Kyungsoo happily wished as he blew the candles.

 

 

“What did you wish for?” Jongin asked.

 

“It’s a secret.” Kyungsoo teased. Right. He secretly wished for his life to last longer.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Jongin’s gift to Kyungsoo was a hotel card that meant a hotel suite where they both made love that night.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Jongin woke up to an empty bed. He panicked, only to find out that Kyungsoo just vomited on the bathroom.

 

 

“You can’t be pregnant now, can you? We’re both males.” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened when he realized Jongin was awake.

 

“Nah, just let out some wine we drank last night. I’m not used to them.” And again, Jongin’s suspicions grew higher.

 

 

Jongin offered to take Kyungsoo home. Kyungsoo declined and just told Jongin to drop him by the bridge. Although Jongin was uneasy, he did just as told.

 

 

As Jongin was out of sight, Kyungsoo immediately vomited more, throwing his substance at the river. He felt his palpitating heart, and he grew weaker and weaker as he took a step. And the next thing he knew, everything went black.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Kyungsoo had leukemia. Jongin didn’t know.

 

 

Kyungsoo was seen by a passerby, so he was rushed to the hospital. The doctors checked him out, connected some tubes, underwent some tests, and was finally confined to some room. The nurse checked Kyungsoo’s phone, and Jongin was the only contact.

 

 

“Hello?” Jongin answered the phone as he saw the Caller ID.

 

“Hello, Mr. Kim. By any chance, do you know someone named Do Kyungsoo?”

 

“Uh, yeah. Did something happen?”

 

“Mr. Do is in the hospital right now, confined after passing out earlier this day.”

 

 

Jongin ran for his life.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

“You have leukemia.” Those were the words that Jongin first spoke when he arrived at Kyungsoo’s room.

 

“Jongin—“

 

“The man in the story. It was you, wasn’t it?” Jongin is slowly breaking down inside.

 

“Yes.” That was all it took for Jongin’s tears to fall.

 

“The first time we met. That’s the time when I knew. My parents died and during their last breath, they told me.”

 

“And when I saw you attempting to suicide, I told you a story about how a man survived all the trials by having some faith. Every day I attempted to stop you from committing suicide by telling you a story.”

 

“I would get your attention, wanting you to live longer because you can. And me? Even if I wanted to, I can’t.” Kyungsoo’s voice weakened.

 

“But if you die—“

 

“No. Don’t kill yourself, Jongin. I gave you a reason to live, and you’ve actually enjoyed life now, haven’t you?” Kyungsoo caressed Jongin’s head. “I want you to live.”

 

“B-But—without you—“

 

“It will be fine, I promise.” Kyungsoo sighed. “Do you want me to tell you a story?”

 

“Please, tell me any story that would get any person out of sadness, that would anyone get over his loved one who’s dying.” Kyungsoo smiled weakly and started telling him.

 

 

Kyungsoo told him about a story of a man who wanted to commit suicide, but someone stopped him from doing so. That man started to grow fond of his savior, and brought him treats and stuff like moon cakes and a set of clothes containing a sweater, a scarf, and a pair of gloves. The man then took his savior to a winter festival, and confessed his love then and there. His savior felt the same. The man then became happy, until he learned that his savior was sick and was dying. But in the end, the savior somehow got through it and he lived longer, and their love story continued until happily ever after.

 

 

Jongin fell asleep. There was no happily ever after.

 

 

Kyungsoo sighed as he saw his lover’s sleeping face. He wanted to hug him, kiss him, make love to him, but he can’t. Soon, he’ll be taken by the heavens and he’ll leave.

 

 

With the energy left, Kyungsoo grabbed a pen and a piece of paper from the desk. It contained his medications, so he wrote at the back part where it was completely empty.

 

 

My beloved Jongin,

 

Hi. Happy birthday! I know when you wake up, you won’t even remember it so I’m going to remind you, okay? Take care of yourself, don’t stress out. I don’t want to see you from the heavens, looking like a drunk old man, okay? Go to work! Don’t skip, or you won’t have money for your living. Don’t change. I loved you that way, and I want you to remain like that until the day you die, so when you go up here in heaven, I’ll see my dear Jongin looking exactly the same as I last saw him.

 

I, Do Kyungsoo, promise to love Kim Jongin no matter what happens, until the day that my soul stops me from doing so.

 

I love you. I know you probably know it but I just want to say it to you one more time. I love you Kim Jongin. Don’t ever forget that.

 

From,

The annoying owl, Kyungsoo

 

P.S. Don’t swim.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Jongin woke up the next day having the worst birthday ever.

 

 

Kyungsoo’s body was then properly given a funeral before burying it. Jongin met a few relatives and friends, but it didn’t take his sadness away.

 

 

After crying his eyes out when he was alone at Kyungsoo’s tomb, he walked away. He walked towards the bridge where they first met. He started at the river down, and an illegal thought flashed through him: suicide.

 

 

But before he could do anything else, someone spoke.

 

 

“You going swimming?” Jongin’s eyes widened and looked at his side, only to see an owl-eyed person before him.

 

“K-Kyungsoo?”

 

 

The man just smiled.

 

 

**

 

How was it? Omona, it's the first time I've written something like this and I don't know asdfghjkl so yeah.

 

Can you comment on how it turned out? And you can upvote and subscribe if you think it's worth it ^^~

 

So yeah. Thank you for actually reading this! ^^ Saranghaeyo~