Upperclassman

Upperclassman

Her head poked into a classroom and looked around to see if there is anyone in the classroom for the tutorial. 

"Hello? Who are you?" a raspy, yet somewhat girly voice greeted her. She straightened up her back and greeted. "Hi, I'm- I'm," she stuttered as her heart was jumping about in her heart. 

"Hey, you're the 1st year who just transferred tutorial, right?" a low voice greeted her. She instantly looked up in the direction that the voice came and found a guy, whom she deemed to be a class tutor for he was well-dressed; wearing checkered shirt and tailored pants. "Kim Junmyeon," he smiled, his eyes folded into crescent moon, "I'm your tutor for the semester, please go and have a seat." He pointed at one of the tables and she hurriedly walked towards one and plopped down on a chair. 

At the table were two guys, one who was looking down intently his phone, swiping his hand on the screen and there was another guy who was also closely sitting beside him, with the face as solemn and fierce at a hitman. She immediately regretted the choice she made for her classmates do not look as friendly and in fact one look extremely hostile with dark circles under his eyes, resembling a hitman. 

"Hi," the girly voice appeared again, making her realize that it was the hitman-looking guy who was talking to her when she entered the class, "My name is Zitao, Huang Zitao." She kept staring at the guy, unbelievable at the fact that the same guy is speaking with the voice of an adolescent girl. She blinked. "Hi," he spoke again. 

"Oh, hi! Nice to meet you," she responded, "sorry about that. I kind of lost it for a moment." 

Zitao chuckled and nudged the guy who's sitting beside him, "Oh Sehun, greet your friend!" he hissed. The other guy, whose name she just learned, clicked his tongue in annoyance and slipped the phone into his pocket. His free hand reached up to push his hair back before stretching his hand out to greet her. 

"Sehun. Oh Sehun," she smiled and nodded her head. 

That was how she met Oh Sehun and Huang Zitao, her two tutorial friends, who were from a year ahead of her. 

~~~

"Hey smartie pant," Huang Zitao greeted her, which earned him a glare, "C'mon, you're in 1st year and yet you are allowed to take 2nd year class. That shows something." She smiled and flicked her hair as a joke, "Of course, I'm smarter than you." 

"Hey guys," Oh Sehun walked in and sat on the chair across the table from hers. She had noticed Oh Sehun for a while now. To be honest, every since the first day of the class. He is always quiet in the class, refusing to take the initiative to speak up in class unless their tutor, Kim Junmyeon, asks. No matter how much their workload during the semester has doubled up, Oh Sehun never lost touch with his impeccable fashion; sweaters with deep, rich tones with shirts underneath only revealing a little bit of the collar and cuff, well fitted tailored pants of skinny jeans, completed with either leather or canvas loafers. Sometimes, he would dress down a little wearing a bomber jacket, to portray his youthfulness without losing his casual chic fashion sense. His fashion has made such an impact on hers that whenever she sees loafers or bomber jackets, they instantly reminded her of her dear classmate. 

Still, she doesn't know whether she likes him as a friend of something more. 

~~~ 

"Here," she heard a voice and as she looked up she saw Oh Sehun handing a sealed plastic up filled with milk tea and boba settled at the bottom, and a large straw. Gingerly, she took the cup and asked like an idiot, "what is this?" 

Oh Sehun's eyebrows furrowed before answering, "Bubble tea?" Embarrassed, she laughed at herself and playfully hit her forehead. 

"You got bubble tea for her and you did not get one for me?!" the usual girly voice appeared from her behind, "What is this, Oh Sehun? Are you ditching me from your best dude status?" Sehun rolled his eyes and his right hand reached back into his backpack once more, "Will you shut up, Huang Zitao? Here!" he threw another sealed cup at Zitao, who caught it with a cheeky smile. 

She had always been confused with Oh Sehun's action. One minute, he can be so caring but he becomes the nonchalant, detached soul, who doesn't give a damn about the world the next. Sometimes, he's as hyperactive and talkative as Zitao but that does not stay there for long, since he can also turn into a sensitive individual who scowls at Zitao for even touching him a little and glares. There were times that she caught him looking at her through his eyelashes as he put his head down to work on the genetic exercises but there were also times that he acts like she does not exist in his proximity. Sometimes, he's the type of clumsy soul who would trip over his own shoelace but then he channels into his inner CEO as he struts down the hallway, with his best friend Zitao by his side. 

To her, he is confusing. 

~~~ 

"Hey!" Sehun caught up with her as she left the room after the tutorial. She looked to her side and found him. "You going back home?" he asked. She nodded. "Where do you live?" 

"Nottinghill," she answered. 

"Are you serious? I live there too!" 

"But, I've never seen you on the train before..." 

"I used to stay behind for band practice." 

"No more band practice?" 

"I don't think practicing with the band is a good idea since the exams are looming in," he chuckled and reached for his hair to ruffle it, making her heart skip a step in the process. 

London's underground train were as busy and cramped as she had hoped to be. Rush hour made it even worse with people pushing them into the innermost part of the train, leaving her cramped up against the wall of the train. Sehun was in front of her with his arms stretched out against the wall, facing her, so that she still has some space to breathe. She got dizzier and dizzier, partly cuz Oh Sehun was such in a close proximity and partly because it was way too crowded inside. 

Oh Sehun was too close to her that she could smell his perfume, a deep, warm note which reminds her of sunny days at Brighton beach, with salty breeze brushing against her skin. Just as she became light-headed by the scent of his perfume, she felt a force hitting her face, it was his chest. Sehun's arms finally gave out to the crowd's force and collapsed, pressing her against the wall of the tube. Very much to her surprise, Sehun's torso was solid despite his slender, lithe frame. She put her hand in between them slightly to push him away, just so that he wouldn't be able to notice her heart leaping as if it was about to pop out of her own torso. 

"I'm going this way," she announced, without looking at him, as they both reached their destination. Sehun, who was also mirrored her action, pointed in the opposite direction, and they both left each other. 

~~~ 

"Hey, Smartie pants. How was the exam?" she glared at Huang Zitao as he poked fun at her. "Same as you," she replied with a scorn. He started laughing, "Have you seen Hun?" he asked. She shook her head. She has not seen him ever since they left each other at Nottingham station.

"That's weird. I haven't seen him for quite some time either," he wrinkled his nose and frowned, "you didn't see him in the exam hall?" 

"Errrrm... hello, lowerclassman, remember?" 

"Oh ..yeah," he laughed, "alright, I'm going home. See you later, smartie pants," he , which earned him a smack on the back before he left. 

As usual, she took the train home to Nottinghill station, remembering Sehun, the upperclassman. Unlike the other time, the train was quite empty and deserted. The scenery changed from the high-rise building to little townhouses, letting her know that they had arrived into Nottinghill. She got up from her seat and got off the train, only to see an unfamiliar sight.

It was Oh Sehun, in his usual get-up of sweater, jeans, and loafers, sitting on one of the benches in the station. He saw her and sat up from the seat, as she stepped off the train. 

"Hey," he greeted her. "Hey," she smiled. Without hesitating, he walked towards her. The train was leaving the station and the wind starting blowing their hair away. As the train departed the station completely, he reached for his hair to push it back, as usual, before he spoke. 

"Look...this is going to be really weird," he took in a deep breath. Her hearted leaping and aching with an expected anticipation.

"Would you like to go out with me? Maybe to a dinner?" 

xxx