1/1

Dear Diary

Dear Diary,
I passed by the hallway and saw this guy I used to sit with in a class. I saw him try to catch my attention but I looked away because I got shy. He’s the star player of school’s basketball team while I’m just this nobody nerd. He’ll never like someone like me.


 

“Soo, why do you always write in that thing? I feel insulted that you would rather confide in that stupid journal than me—your best friend!”

 

Kyungsoo stopped writing in her journal and looked up at her overdramatic best friend standing above her with her arms folded across her chest and her lips adorning a cute pout. Leave it to Yixing to make a simple situation overly dramatic.

 

The doe-eyed girl playfully rolled her eyes before setting her pen down and placing her hands under her chin, turning her attention to her friend.

 

“Sorry Yixing unnie. You took too long to get here and I don’t think I can hold back my boy troubles. I need boy advice and you seem to be good with boys since you’ve managed to keep the stubborn Sehun at your whim for the past two years. You must be doing something right.”

 

Yixing smiled at her younger friend’s troubles. Every now and then Kyungsoo would have a baby crush on someone and would tell the Chinese girl but would later brush off the next week claiming she got caught up in the moment, so it came as a shock to her when she got an urgent message from Kyungsoo about her only longtime crush. The elder girl was more than happy to assist her younger friend. It also helps that Kyungsoo needs help on Yixing’s favorite topic: boys.

 

“Tell unnie your problems. Which boy has stolen the heart of my baby?”

 

Yixing took the seat across from Kyungsoo as she set down the caramel frappuccinos she had bought for the two of them. Kyungsoo smiled at the thoughtfulness of her best friend.

 

“You know how I sat next to Kim Jongin last semester in chemistry? Well, today when I was walking down the hall to get to math class he waved at me and I didn’t know if he was waving at me or to someone around me so I just avoided him and walked away. What do you think that means?” A panicky Kyungsoo was flailing her arms everywhere, much to the amusement of Yixing.

 

“I mean a wave is a wave but it’s the third time he’s done it this week that! And get this, last week he actually walked me to my class after lunch when you and Sehun left to dance practice. Can you believe that?”

 

Yixing sat there and pondered in her thoughts for a moment at Kyungsoo’s revelation.

 

Kim Jongin was easily one of the most popular boys in school despite only being a junior. He had the looks, the friends, the grades, and most importantly the athleticism. As the center for the school basketball—the team that has won the championships for the last decade or so—he has earned the reputation as one of the star players of the team. Although he is only a junior, everyone and their mothers could see the potential Jongin brought to the team. Yixing could easily understand why Kyungsoo felt so awkward around him. After all, it’s not every day that your crush waves to you.

 

Yes, for as long as Yixing has known Kyungsoo, the latter’s crush had always been Jongin, even though Kyungsoo’s never actually told her, she just knew. Call it intuition and the fact that Kyungsoo blushes at even the mere mention of the name Jongin doesn’t exactly keep it a secret either.

 

Her boyfriend, Sehun, and Jongin were best friends. She easily knew everything about everything as her boyfriend always told her the gossip and drama going on amongst his friends. Sehun had previously told her that Jongin had his eye on some cute girl from one of his classes, which according to Sehun is quite rare; Yixing silently hoped that it was her best friend. One only knows how much Yixing hoped it was her friend.

 

“Unnie, are you even listening to me? Kim Jongin waved at me and walked me to class! Do you think he likes me?”

 

Yixing came back to reality and softly smiled at her younger friend, “Yes I heard, Soo. Maybe you should ask him out on a date?”

 

Kyungsoo let out a high pitch squeal, “You know I can’t do that! I’m so shy and plus shouldn’t he be the one to ask me out? Maybe I’m over-thinking things and he was only being friendly because we used to be lab partners. That must be it! How can he like someone like me, I’m practically a nobody.”

 

“You’re not a nobody, many people adore you. Just be confident, Soo. Just like how you marched right up to me on my first day of school and demanded we be friends.”

 

Kyungsoo was the first person to introduce herself to Yixing on the latter’s first day at a new school when she transferred from China, during her sophomore year in high school. Her Korean was about as good as a fifth grader’s at the time but that didn’t stop Kyungsoo walking straight p to her and immediately hooking their arms, as if they’ve always been best friends. Yixing was forever grateful that Kyungsoo had befriended her. In fact, thanks to Kyungsoo, Yixing had improved her Korean and was able to quickly catch up with the rest of the students in no time.

 

Kyungsoo let her head fall, making a loud thud and grabbing the attention of anyone who was nearby. Yixing look around before scooting closer to the doe-eyed girl and slowing rubbing circles on her back. “You worry too much Kyungsoo. You’ve liked Jongin for so long that I just can’t stand to watch you wallow in your own self-pity.” Yixing lifted Kyungsoo’s head as softly as she could and turned her to face the elder.

 

“Tomorrow, I want you to walk up to Jongin and ask him out!”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes could only widen, “I can’t just ask him out unnie! I mean maybe Jongin was only saying hi out of politeness. I don’t know what to think. What if he laughs at my face?”

 

“I wouldn’t laugh at your face,” A deep voice interrupted the two girls.

 

Both worriedly looked at eachother and turned around, only to find the subject of their conversation and his best friend Sehun standing directly behind them.

 

Kyungsoo gulped.

 

 

 

Dear Diary,
I passed by the hallway and saw the pretty girl I used to sit with during Chemistry class. I tried to wave at her but she was busy talking with her friends. I guess I’m just the guy who could shoot some hoops while she’s this pretty honor student everyone adores. She’ll never like someone like me.

 

“Sehun!”

 

A well-built brunette boy walks over to his best friend sitting in the bleachers, “Hey man. Ready to go?  I have a problem. Can you tell me what you think I should do?”

 

Jongin had just finished his daily practice with the team. With the semi-finals coming up, the team had been stressing longer and more intense practices. Longer practices meant less time hanging out with his friends. These days it was school, practice, eat, homework, sleep, and then practice again before school. He felt fortunate enough to have a best friend that was willing to wait for him until his practice was over.

 

“Hey, Yixing is best friends with Kyungsoo right?” Jongin started the conversation between the two as they exited the gym toward their favorite coffee shop

 

Sehun quirked an eyebrow at the mention of his girlfriend, “Yeah why?”

 

Of course, Sehun knew why. Jongin had been raving about some girl for the past few weeks or so and Sehun had suspected it was his girlfriend’s best friend. He always talked about her beautiful doe-eyes and her melodic singing voice and about how smart and pretty she was. If he himself didn’t have a girlfriend whom he feels the same about—if not more—he would get super annoyed at the poor love sick puppy.

 

Jongin sheepishly rubbed the back of his nape. “Well, I was thinking of asking her out but after today I don’t think I want to. Do you think I should still ask her out anyways?” Sehun stopped in his tracks. “What happened today?”

 

Jongin sighed as he motioned for his friend to continue walking toward the coffee shop.

 

“Today I was walking to history and I saw Kyungsoo at her locker as usual. So like normal I waved at her but when she saw me she immediately slammed her locker shut and walked away, not even returning the wave. I feel like she’s avoiding me like the black plague.”

 

Sehun tried to laugh at his friend’s misfortune because it does in fact when your crush avoids you. Something similar had happened to him and his Chinese girlfriend, but that’s a story for another time. From what Yixing has told the boy, Kyungsoo very much indeed liked his best friend. It was strange to him to learn that Kyungsoo was avoiding her so-called “crush”.

 

“Are you sure she saw you Jongin? I mean maybe she didn’t even see you and you’re worrying for nothing.”

 

“Her eyes bugged out the minute I waved. I know she saw me! This is not the first time it’s happened. Maybe I should give up. I even walked her to class one time but every time I initiated a conversation she just responded with one word. I guess I can only score on the court and not in real life.” Jongin pouted.

 

The blonde boy patted his friend on the back as they entered the coffee shop. Jongin went to go look for a table when Sehun spotted a familiar bright smile. “Hey Jongin, look Yixing and Kyungsoo are over there! Let’s go drop by and say hi.”

 

Before Jongin could respond he was being dragged to the table by Sehun. Both Kyungsoo and Yixing seemed to be discussing something very important. Jongin thought Kyungsoo looked cute when she was sulking. Actually Jongin always thinks Kyungsoo looks cute. As they got closer to the table, the two girls’ conversation became clearer to the boys’ ears.

 

“Tomorrow, I want you to walk up to Jongin and ask him out!”

 

“I can’t just ask him out unnie! I mean maybe Jongin was only saying hi out of politeness. I don’t know what to think. What if he laughs at my face?”

 

His heart beated faster as he heard his name slipped out of Kyungsoo’s mouth. Before he could stop himself he spoke, “I wouldn’t laugh at your face.”

 

The reaction of the girls finding him and Sehun behind them was priceless. Kyungsoo and Jongin found themselves in a staring contest. Yixing was the first one to speak and break the awkward atmosphere, “Sehunnie I missed you,” She planted a peck on his lips, which Sehun gladly returned, “Let’s get out of here and leave the two lovebirds alone.” She stood up grabbing her boyfriend’s arm and dragged him out of the shop. Only Kyungsoo and Jongin were left, still staring at each other.

 

Jongin took Yixing’s place in front of Kyungsoo. “So…”

 

“How long were you standing behind me?” The young girl embarrassedly asked.

 

“Long enough to hear that you wanted to ask me out.” Where the boldness cme from, Jongin doesn’t know. But it didn’t matter, what mattered was Kyungsoo and what she would say next.

 

“Oh, you heard that? You see I didn’t mean to avoid you or anything but I was shy because you are you and oh my gosh did I just say that out loud and ugh I’m so sorry.” Kyungsoo rambled as she face palmed herself.

 

Jongin could only chuckle at how cute she was. “Relax Kyungsoo. No need to get nervous around me. I mean we did have chemistry together.” Kyungsoo blushed.

 

“Well are you going to ask me out Soo?” Jongin cheekily grinned.

 

Kyungsoo could only play with her fingers as she nervously avoided eye contact with the basketball star in front of her, “I-well-what would you say if I hypothetically asked you out? Hypothetically, of course.”

 

“Yes.”

 

The doe-eyed girl breathed in and steadied her nerves. “I know I’m not your type but I would like it if you gave me a chance to be your type?”

 

Jongin smiled and grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand, “Just because I’m that cliché basketball star doesn’t mean my type is cheerleaders. Actually, I’ll have you know my type of girl is a girl with doe-eyes, silky black hair, and the voice of an angel. Not only does she have a gorgeous face, but she also has a beautiful mind, and she doesn’t realize how much everyone adores her. But I don’t think I’m her type.”

 

Kyungsoo felt her cheeks heat up and she interlocked their fingers of the hand Jongin was holding.

 

“Just because I’m a cliché nerdy, shy girl definitely means that my type is popular jocks. I’ll have you know a sun-kissed, tall, brunette boy who happens to be the star of the basketball team is my type. Not only do others people in the school like him, but also his type.”

 

Jongin chuckled.

 

 “So would you still like to go out with me?”

 

“Yes.”

 

--

 

The semi-finals game was finally in play.

 

All the hard work and effort Jongin had put in to practice for the last several weeks or so would soon pay off. Late night practices prepared him for this moment, amongst other things.

 

There was only seven second left and both teams were tied up, whoever made the next shot would win the game. Jongin’s team had the advantage as someone from the other team had traveled, securely placing the ball in their possession. Jongin wipes his sweat off with his arm as he crouches over to look at how much time is left.

 

The referee blows the whistle and these last seven seconds will make or break the team.

His teammates are running the ball down the court and time is ticking. Once Jongin finds his teammate in position for the play they had planned beforehand at the time-out, Jongin opens up his arms signaling his teammate to pass it to him.

 

Jongin is passed the ball and with three seconds left he takes his chances and shoots the ball. As hopeful as he is, Jongin closes his eyes in fear. When the buzzard is rings and the loud sounds of cheering filled the stadium, Jongin knows. He had indeed made the winning shot. He opens his eyes and sees his teammates running toward him to surround him in a group hug. They had made it to finals!

 

After the group hug dispersed Jongin looked to the crowd for that one special person. He saw everyone cheering and jumping in excitement. Sehun and Yixing came into sight, holding hands. Jongin immediately sprints over to them. “You did great Jongin. I knew you guys were going to win!” Sehun pats Jongin’s back.

 

Yixing smiled, “We were cheering for you the whole time. You looked so cool.”

 

“Thanks for coming to support me. It really means a lot.”

 

Jongin’s eyes continued looking around. A frown unknowingly placed on his face. The couple seemed to have noticed Jongin’s wandering eyes, “She probably got lost in the crowd. Don’t worry you’ll find her.”

 

The basketball player nodded.

 

With that the couple walked toward some of the other team players, leaving Jongin to stand and look through the crowd. Many students and parents walking by were congratulating him on his winning shot and for making it to finals. But the one person he wanted to see most was nowhere in sight.

 

Two warm hands covered Jongin’s eyes from behind. “Guess who?”

 

Jongin lips curved upward as he turned to face the culprit.

 

“Kyungsoo.”

 

The doe-eyed girl smiled at her boyfriend. Kyungsoo was adorning a school shirt with some jeans and had the number 88 painted on her face to support her boyfriend. Jongin definitely liked it.

 

“You did so great. You were amazing! When you made that winning shot I was excited I think I accidently hit Yixing unnie in the head with my arm. If Sehun wasn’t there to hold her I definitely would’ve knocked her down. I was that excited!”

 

Jongin chuckled. “Do I get a congratulatory kiss?”

 

Kyungsoo rolled her eyes but nevertheless stood on her toes and leaned forward to kiss her boyfriend. Admittedly, although they’ve shared many kisses, their slow kisses like the one now were her favorite. Her lips molded perfectly with the junior’s and it was nothing short of perfect.

 

After the fateful day at the coffee shop, Jongin had official taken Kyungsoo out on a date. To say it was a good date would be a lie. While it was disastrous, things could’ve gone better. But that didn’t stop Kyungsoo from accepting a second date. A few weeks later the shy girl and the basketball job became an official couple. Yixing and Sehun were thrilled, Yixing mostly.

 

Yixing always reminds them, “Don’t forget that we definitely have to double date sometime.”

 

The couple retracted from their kiss as the heard the catcalls of Jongin’s teammates. Kyungsoo buried her face in Jongin’s chest and Jongin wrapped his arms around the shorter girl, laughing at the situation.

 

“Want to go grab something to eat?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded.

 

“Come on let’s go.” The petite girl took her face out of her boyfriend’s chest and grinned up at him. Jongin couldn’t resist pecking the girl one more time.

 

Jongin walked out of the gym with his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder, her arm around his waist.

 

Dear Diary, I’ve never been happier. I’m glad we were partnered in chemistry. Now we are together and I laugh when I think about my old journal entries. I guess I was wrong before, we both do like each other. This is my last entry as I now have someone even better, besides my best friend, to tell my secrets too. 

-

Author's Note: I hope this was what you wanted OP! Let me know what you think? Sorry it took me so long to fill btw. College and school work happens. Anyways I hope everyone likes it! :)

word count: 3046

unedited. will soon be re-edited.