Romance novellas

Romance novellas

My lean body shivered slightly even though the sun was burning through my black leather jacket. I ignored the passer-bys’ curious gazes towards my eccentric dress sense. While walking to my destination, I eyed the colourful bookstore that was located a few metres across from the street across. The sound of cars’ horns obnoxiously blaring fell deaf to my ears as I hastily jaywalked to the other side of the road. I adjusted my black beanie when I approached the entrance of the bookstore.  

“Luhan’s Bookstore,” I muttered the name of the store under my breath while I eyed the colourful title which was evenly spread above the shop’s entrance. I remembered that the last time I came here, the colour was fading in contrast to the freshly painted letters I currently saw. I slowly opened the glass door and a small bell chimed as I stepped onto the shiny wooden floor inside. The calming, musty scent of books instantly overwhelmed my senses.

I glanced at the reception and I relaxed a little when I realised that the chair was empty. While humming a tune, I decided to preoccupy myself with the shelves full of books which reached to the far corners of the shop. I took off my beanie and gently ran my fingers through my brown – dyed hair. Placing my beanie on the bookshelf next to me, I reached for a random book which I could read in order to occupy my time while I waited for the owner to arrive. While I was deeply immersed in the intricate tale, I almost jumped in fright when I felt someone’s hand rest on my shoulder.

“Sehunnie that looks interesting…” a voice murmured from behind me. The man’s blonde strands of hair tickled my neck as he bent forward to read the book I was reading earlier. The close proximity between us made me feel uncomfortable. At the sudden, unexpected contact, I stumbled a few feet away to put a distance between us. Luhan, the weird bookshop owner, chuckled at my awkwardness as he quickly stuffed his hand filled with a crumpled note ,which looked suspiciously like money, in his jean’s pocket. I questioned his action but I didn’t think too much of it. Sighing at his unpredictable antics, I closed the book shut and turned around to fully face him.

“I didn’t know you had a thing for romantic comedies,” said Luhan as he gestured towards the pink cover of the book I was holding. My cheeks burned from embarrassment as I spluttered trying to explain myself. I really disliked how this man can get under my skin so easily and turn me into a flustered mess. I pulled the book closer to me in reflex.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I protested. Luhan quirked an eyebrow but a glint in his chocolate – brown eyes reinforced that he saw through my futile lie. As cliché as it sounds, I loved how the light – hearted romantic stories that made me feel hope that you could find your other half. I fleetingly glanced at the price tag stuck on the back cover. It costed about twenty dollars … I would be able to afford it.

“Suit yourself then,” Luhan smirked and walked away to the reception. Ignoring the bookshop owner, I turned back to the book in my hands.  I had only read a few pages so far and the book was really interesting. I considered approaching the bookshop owner and asking him if I can purchase it. ‘No, no, no’ I thought to myself. If I told him I wanted it then he would humiliate me using his sadistic ways. My pride won’t allow myself to be treated that way. Especially from that man! However, I could steal the book.

“That was definitely not a good option either,” I said to myself. Stealing is wrong! Even though the man is irritating, I wouldn’t want to steal his book. I sighed, what was I supposed to do? I really wanted to read the book but I didn’t want to be ridiculed by the bookshop owner. But at the same time, I knew it wasn’t right to steal. I was definitely not a petty thief.

“Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness,” a voice drawled from the reception, interrupting me from my inner turmoil. I furiously gritted my teeth in anger and frustration. Without a second thought, I swiftly hid the book inside my leather jacket and hurriedly walked out the door. I ignored the man’s slight smirk as I pushed the door open and exited the bookshop. Once outside, I sighed in relief and exasperation. It was nice not to be around that weird guy any longer.

While walking along the street from where I originally came from, my stomach growled loudly on its own accord. I could faintly smell barbecued meat and bread nearby. My mouth watered and my stomach growled once again in agreement. While I searched for the street vendor, I put my hand into the pocket of my leather jacket. I remember putting a twenty dollar note in my pocket before I left my apartment. Then why was my pocket empty? That crumpled note…

And I also left my beanie back in the store.