Marble Eyes

My Secret Hideout (A collection short stories)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/n: I think this sountrack fits the theme of the story. Enjoy!)

 

 

 “The world is unfair, and I was a constant reminder of that”

It was April 1, 1868 when a young man opened the creaky door of the old man’s shop somewhere in a quiet town of Paris. His fine suit was half hidden by his silk cloak and the features of his face were barely visible over his shiny hat. He was an elite mysterious man—a mere stranger. And yet, as I see him standing there, scanning the dusty place, it was as if I knew right then that he was my salvation.

 

“What can I do for you, my lord?” I would have flinched if I could when I heard the croaking voice of the old man who owned me but I couldn’t. I was never free to do much in this dark, cold and lonely place.

 

The mysterious young man didn’t answer and only continued to look around.

And then, he laid his eyes on me.

 

I was surprised to see how deep his brown eyes were. It almost felt like he was looking right through me. How intense, how calculating, how captivating those eyes were.

 

He took both of his leather gloves as he bent down to my red shaded cheek. My lips smiles softly, like always. “Such beauty…” he murmured with a deep voice. He wasn’t the very first person to look at me with appreciation and sincerity but it was the first time I felt so assured that I was safe. That he wouldn’t have me locked to rot in another place like this.

 

“A very good choice my lord, although of course, such beauty would mean eh, shall we say, a costly price” My owner grinned, showing his crooked teeth as he rubs his hands with anticipation.

 

The young man stared at me for a few more seconds before he got up to face my owner. “That’s not really a problem.” He took a small bag of silver coins and tossed it towards the old man.

 

“Oh good lord, thank you!” He tucked the bag of money at once and opened the door with his gruffly hands for the young man with a very grateful bow.

 

As for the young man, he gently crouched down and carried me, he smiles for the first time, and I returned him the exact same thing. “Send in the carriage,” he called out to his assistants and butlers as he starts to walk out of this dark and lonely place. “We’re going home.”

 

We… yes us. Finally, I shall have a place to call home.

 

.____.

 

“Mama! Papa! Brother Jiyong is hiding something inside his bedroom, I tell you! He won’t let me in!”

Jiyong chuckled as he heard the loud and adorable voice of her little sister, Hyu Me who was stomping her way across the huge hallway. “Impatient Hyu Me,” he muttered in amusement as he shifted his position on the bed to look at me who was sitting across him on a wooden chair.

 

If I could freeze at that moment, I would have. It has been like this every time he would look at me, every time he would smile. It was the first time that a man has caught my attention not only of his fine looks but because of that peculiar but vibrant feeling that he brings. “I’ll introduce you to your new friend soon, Hyu Me. Soon,” he muttered.

 

It has been three days since Jiyong, the young rich man from the elite family of Kwon, bought me out from my dirty old prison and kept me secretly inside his own bedroom. He has taken care of me very well all this time. Making sure that I am safe, making sure that I am comfortable. And when I couldn’t even ask for more, tonight, on the birthday of her sister, he shall be introducing me to her, to his family.

 

No one has ever done such things to me.

 

He got up from his bed and closed the space between us. He chuckled and I was left alone to guess what was inside his impenetrable mind as he gazed at me. He knelt down with one knee in front of me and tucked the strand of loose hair behind my ear.

 

Thank you. If only I can tell him that, I would have… for a thousand times. But I couldn’t. My voice wouldn’t come out just like how it always is. And so I just kept on smiling the same way, hoping he can somehow feel my gratitude.

 

“Everyone will love you. Especially Hyu Me,” he mumbled as he brushed a speck of dust near my eye.

 

I could barely feel his fingertips on my skin but I can feel how passionate he is to his sister. Such brotherly love heightened my respect and admiration for him.

 

As I took a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror, I silently wondered if I am enough to be a good friend of Hyu Me. I’d do anything to make Jiyong happier.

 

The curls of my hair fixed, my satin dress was untainted, and my smiling face was composed as ever. Surely I am decent enough to be seen by Jiyong’s family, right?

I hope so…

 

.____.

 

 “She is so pretty!” Hyu Me ran towards me and took both of my hands to hers gently. She tilts her head and a smile spreads across her adorable little face. “What is your name, Milady?”

 

I don’t have a name… I never had one…

 

It was as if Jiyong heard my downhearted thoughts that he went closer to us and patted Hyu Me’s head. “Why don’t you name her?”

 

Hyu Me looked up at the ceiling and tapped her chin with her slender finger, “hmmm.”

 

“Make sure you choose one that fits her beautiful face, my dear sister.” Jiyong glanced at me as soon as he said that. Did that make me happy?

 

Yes. It sure did.

 

“Oh! Oh! Oh! I know!” Hyu Me jumped excitedly, “Don’t you think the name Taeyeon suits her very much, dear brother?” she looked up to him expectantly, puffing her cheeks as she waits for his brother to respond.

 

“Taeyeon,” he rolls the name on his tongue, he looks at me and says that name once more. It almost felt like he already called me that long before. He crouched down to meet his head with his sister before he smiles approvingly “It’s perfect. It suits her very much, my little sister.”

 

“Yay!” Hyu Me jumped up and down and hugged the both of us close. “This is the best birthday ever! Thank you, brother!” She kissed her brother’s cheek and mine.

 

“Welcome to the family, Taeyeon!” Hyu Me screamed and ran with me around their grand mansion to introduce me to their parents.

 

Oh sweet Hyu Me, if you only know. This is the best day of my life too. Thank you Hyu Me… thank you so much Jiyong…

 

.____.

 

After that moment, every single day has been perfect with the Kwons. They introduced me to a whole new world that I thought my eyes wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter