Changed

After dark

Hakyeon sat on the bench, the exact bench in the park they sat on yesterday. He had never felt so nervous before, maybe because he had already decided. He had spent the entire morning and afternoon re-thinking about what Leo had said until he was very sure that he wanted it. A decision, a permanent decision that would change his life forever. A decision that can never be reversed.

"Hakyeon!" Hakyeon turned around only to find himself trapped in Leo's embrace. 

"Missed me?" Hakyeon smiled. 

"Yes!" Leo said, kissing his neck gently. 

"Leo..." Hakyeon started, his voice trailing away. "I-I'm willing to become a vampire." 

"Are you sure?" Leo's eyes widened. "I won't force you if you don't want to. It's impossible to reverse the process after I transform you, you know?" Leo said, voice filled with care.

Hakyeon looked straight into his lover's red eyes. "I've made up my mind. And as for my work, I've already made arrangements." Hakyeon said calmly. "To be with you, I'm willing."  He pressed close to Leo, resting his head on his chest.

"We will have to do it at my house. It would attract too much attention if we do it here." Leo picked Hakyeon up in his arms, bridal style. "Hold on tight." With that, they disappeared into the night, Leo running at a supernaturally fast speed, it seemed that his feet never touched the ground. The two were moving so fast, everything in Hakyeon's eyes became a blur streak of black and the occasional white of the streetlights. 

"We're here." Leo said, placing Hakyeon gently on his feet while he went to open his apartment door. Hakyeon walked in wearily and collapsed onto Leo's sofa. The journey was exhilarating and he loved feeling the night breeze in his hair, but his lover ran so fast, his legs somehow turned jelly. As Leo went to prepare, Hakyeon took the chance to look around the apartment. There wasn't really anything interesting and the entire house was pretty much painted dark gray. "Vampires are creatures of the dark, we love everything related to darkness." Hakyeon remembered what Leo had once said to him. "I wonder if my colour preference will change too after I transform?" Hakyeon chuckled to himself. But it didn't really matter, he himself liked dark colours too.

Leo came out of the kitchen with a glass and a towel.

"Are you really very sure about this? " Leo stared into Hakyeon's eyes, a gaze so deep Hakyeon felt as if the vampire could see through his deepest thoughts.

"The transformation from human to vampire will be extremely painful, I'm scared you won't be able to take it." Leo whispered. "For you, I'll take the pain, no matter how hard it is." Hakyeon hugged Leo tightly. 

"You'll have to drink my blood."  Leo said, wincing slightly as he slit his wrist with his fangs. Hakyeon watched as the thick crimson liquid flowed from Leo's pale skin into the glass below, slowly filling it to the brim. Leo wiped away the excess blood flowing from his wound with a towel and handed the blood filled glass to Hakyeon. 

"I love you." The vampire kissed the human on his lips. "Be strong, it'll be over in a day." 

Hakyeon grasped the glass in his hands, trembling with fear and excitement, he wanted this yet he was starting to dread the impending pain. He hesitated for a while before closing his eyes and gulped the contents down his throat. A strong metallic taste filled his mouth, Hakyeon wanted to puke it out so badly but he forced it down. "For Leo." He reminded himself.  Hakyeon placed the glass on the table and wiped the blood stains off his mouth. For a minute he felt nothing, and looked at Leo, about to ask if anything went wrong and then he felt it.

A warm sensation growing hotter and hotter, running through his veins like fire. Hakyeon let out a piercing scream, his entire body felt as if he was burning. So this was the extreme pain Leo had said. The painfullest moment Hakyeon had experienced so far was when he broke his arm when he was 7 years old, this was a billion times worse. Hakyeon felt as if his entire self was burning from the inside out, as if imaginary fire was melting every single stretch of blood vessels in his body, he needed air so badly yet his lungs refused to absorb any oxygen. "LEO!" Hakyeon cried out in immense pain, hot tears streaking down his cheeks as he writhed violently on the sofa. But Leo could do nothing, the only way to stop the pain and transformation was death.

"Stay strong Hakyeon." Leo could only say as he grasped his lover's hands. "LEO IT HURTS SO MUCH." Hakyeon choked as he grasped at his own throat. This was probably how hell feels like. It hurts Leo so much to see Hakyeon in such torture. "It'll be over soon." Leo whispered. "Soon."

 

Night fell after an eternity of waiting. 

Leo walked over to his bed where he had laid Hakyeon on a few hours ago. He looked outside the window, admiring the calming dark sky, Hakyeon's transformation would be over soon by now. It took 3 tortuous hours of hearing Hakyeon's screams and cries before the human became unconscious for the first changes to begin. 

There was the squeaking sound of movement and Leo spun around to see Hakyeon sitting up, shaking his head to clear away the remnants of the pain from his transformation. 

"Hakyeon!" Leo smiled as his partner looked at him. "You're so beautiful." Leo breathed as he stared into the other's now red eyes. Hakyeon walked slowly towards the mirror. His skin had turned paler, full of the flawlessness of immortality and now bright red irises replaced his brown human ones. Hakyeon opened his mouth to reveal long sharp fangs. He was a vampire now. 

"Leo." Hakyeon rushed forward to hug the older vampire. "Thank  you." Leo felt warm since they've similar body temperatures now. He could now spend an eternity with the one he loved.

"Ready to rule your first night as a vampire?" Leo smiled stretching his hand to the other male. "Yes." Hakyeon grasped onto Leo's hand and both of them sprang out of the bedroom window, springing from roof to roof, as Hakyeon tested out the supernatural strength and speed he had gained. 

"So this is how freedom feels like." Hakyeon stood at the edge of a  building, feeling the wind ruffling his hair. The both of them had just finished their blood meal (Hakyeon still couldn't believe that blood tastes sweet despite having killed 2 humans and them dry.) and decided to hang out on one of the buildings instead of the usual bench in the park. 

"To be the most indestructible creature in the world. To have zero fear. To have the entire city to yourself at night." Hakyeon stretched out his arms, enjoying the wind blowing between his fingers.

"Yes." Leo laughed and kissed Hakyeon's cheek. The two sat down on the edge, not fearing that their legs were dangling 20 stories above the ground, admiring the night sky like they always did. 

"I think I might start to like the day now." Hakyeon chuckled 

"Vampires are creatures of the dark, we never liked the day. You didn't like the day either when you were human, so why the sudden liking now?" Leo asked.

"Cos I'll be able to spend it with you, I'll be able to spend 24 hours with you." 

"Awww Hakyeonie, but that's really random." Leo laughed. 

"Yeah, I know." Hakyeon smiled, resting his head on Leo's broad shoulders as the both of them stared into the calming dark sky silently.