Night

After dark

 

 

Hakyeon looked at the clock, eyes gleaming with excitement.

"Just 1 more minute." He murmured to himself, monitoring the moment of the minute hand, waiting impatiently for it to align with the hour hand that was slowly reaching 12.  

Just 1 more minute and Hakyeon could see the person, or more like the creature he wanted to see most.   

The clock ticked 12 and Hakyeon walked calmly out of his apartment, not fearing the night and what it brought. He made no hurry, his lover would be able to find him in a matter of minutes. The night was peaceful. To him, the night gave him peace that he would never be able to find in daylight, it gave him comfort and sometimes the thrill. Humans like him would rather be safely tucked in bed than wander the streets at night, 12 midnight to be exact, because it would be equivalent to giving yourself death sentence if you dared to, but Hakyeon felt no fear. He knew his lover would never really harm him. 

Hakyeon whistled as he strolled along the dimly lit path of the park, enjoying the cool breeze ruffling his hair, waiting for his arrival. 

He heard the soft patter of footsteps on the stone path. Hakyeon smiled, he's here.

"Hakyeon." He felt the familiar warm sweet breath blowing down his neck, the shockingly cold feeling of his arms wrapping around his waist and the sharp prickly feeling of teeth nibbling very gently on his skin as his boyfriend kissed down his neck.

"Leo." Hakyeon whispered a reply as he spun around to face Leo, staring longingly into the other's deep red eyes.

"You know you human shouldn't lurk around at this time of the day." Leo said softly, opening his mouth slightly to let his fangs glint underneath the faint moonlight. Yes, Leo is a vampire. The government had made a pact with them, that they're allowed fun after midnight till sunrise and any human found outside their homes during the curfew would be their meal.   

"You do know I'm not scared of your fangs right?" Hakyeon laughed and pulled the vampire forward, kissing his cold lips, Hakyeon was already used to the temperature difference, slipping his tongue into Leo's mouth, making sure every inch of the other's mouth has been touched. Leo moaned softly at Hakyeon's warmth and he flicked his tongue into the human's mouth. Hakyeon drew back to catch his breath after 5 minutes of kissing. 

"You ate already." Hakyeon said sticking out his tongue, trying to get rid of the metallic taste of human blood that had gotten into his mouth.

"I was hungry." Leo replied.  

"And now that you've seen me, I can bring you back home." Leo took Hakyeon's hand and started walking.

"Ya!" Hakyeon laughed. "We still got lots of time." 

"Sometimes I wonder why I spared your life that day." Leo sighed as they sat on a bench, admiring the night sky.

Hakyeon smiled, remembering the day he met Leo.  

6 months ago 

"Don't kill me please!" Hakyeon whimpered as he stared into the red eyes if his attacker. 

He was about to rush home from working overtime when he was hunted down by a vampire. Hakyeon managed to run fast but the vampire caught up quickly.

The vampire attacked him, sinking his fangs into his neck and started drinking his blood. But Hakyeon didn't struggle somehow, he just let the creature away his life, knowing he was no match against him. 

Just when Hakyeon thought he was about to die, the vampire stopped and unlatched from his neck. "Thank you." The vampire murmured, his voice barely audible, looking at Hakyeon who got up slowly, using the wall as a support for his now weak body. Hakyeon stared at the creature, eyes filled with confusion and gratitude. Did a vampire just spared his life? The vampire just stared back quietly before vanishing into the darkness. Very weirdly, Hakyeon somehow had an urge to find that very vampire that attacked him. Hakyeon spent every night surveying the vicinity, even though he knew he was putting his life at risk. And he finally found him after 2 months.

"Aren't you that human whom I spared." The vampire said as he found Hakyeon following him. "Shouldn't you be at home. Aren't you afraid of us?" He asked, eyes widened with surprise. "Just wanted to say thank you for letting me live!" Hakyeon smiled. "After that day, I guess not all vampires are that merciless."

"Well, you're one strange human, anyways you can call me Leo." The vampire said. "I'm Hakyeon!" Hakyeon smiled. "Thank you Leo for sparing my life. I'll never forget that day!"

It was after that meeting that they started to see each other every night.

"Well, maybe because I'm too cute. That could actually be a possibility!" Hakyeon laughed. And he felt weight pinning him down onto the bench.

"Don't think I dare not kill you." Leo breathed, a smirk spreading across his face. Hakyeon stared boldly into Leo's red eyes, "I know you can, but you wouldn't." 

"Try me." Leo bared his fangs millimeters away from his lover's face.

"W-woah." Hakyeon gasped.

"See told ya you'd be scared!" Leo got up with a triumph look on his face. 

"I'm not!" Hakyeon protested and Leo snorted.

"There's nothing to fear when you're with me." Hakyeon snuggled up close with the vampire.

"Sometimes I wish the night would last longer." The human sighed against the vampire's chest.

"Why?" Leo ran his hand through Hakyeon's soft hair.

"I hate the daylight." Hakyeon stared at the full moon shining over them.

"Daylight means I have to go to work, I don't wanna work." He chuckled. "....and...daylight also means after dark, and I won't be able to see you after dark." 

"I can turn you into my kind. Then, we will be able to spend every night like this." Leo turned to face Hakyeon. "We will be able to stay together forever." Leo said softly. 

"I'm already spending every night with you." Hakyeon said. "But yeah....it won't last forever....and what about my work? I mean vampires will die under sunlight right? I need to work in the day."

"You can work at home silly." Leo smiled. "As long as it's not sunlight, you won't die."    

"But I will miss being human I guess? Even though I may not be immortal, but we get to do much more stuff with so much freedom, since we're not restricted by the day and part of the night, though I hate the day." Hakyeon said, looking up at the moon. "I've always wondered how's it like being a vampire."

"Well, you get to enjoy immortality.." Leo smiled, looking at Hakyeon's worried face."....with the ones you love, if they're vampires too of course." Leo kissed Hakyeon gently on his cheek.

"We get the freedom of the night. We may not have the day, but we rule the night, the peaceful night when there's rarely any humans to make noise, and of course those still roaming around after midnight becomes our dinner. And we are also way stronger and faster that you" Leo said.

"I really want to be with you." He whispered.

"....I need to think about it." Hakyeon hesitated. "As much as I want to be with you, I still need some time."

"It's okay, Hakyeonie." Leo said. "I understand." 

 

Hakyeon stood outside his apartment, "Time really passes by so quickly...it's almost sunrise." Leo had spent more than an hour walking Hakyeon home. 

"Well I guess it's time to say goodbye." Leo sighed. "I'll miss you so much." He whispered, nuzzling Hakyeon's neck."Your scent. Your smile. You. I'll miss it."

"Are all vampires this clingy when it comes to being with their boyfriends?" Hakyeon chuckled. "I'll be back tonight." He smiled. "...and I'll think about it." He added. 

"I guess so. Just take your time." Leo smiled. "See you tonight." With that, the vampire disappeared in a flash, leaving Hakyeon standing outside his door, thinking about last night.