People from two different worlds

Don't come back to me

Sunji sits alone on the couch. The passionate red colour of the couch seemed to be in contrast with her ash grey mood. She sits alone, staring at a photo of her and Jinwoo. They were so happy. She's cried so much she doesn't even have the strength anymore. She just sobbed, his face. She looked at the wilted roses in the vase on the table. She hasn't changed the flowers since Jinwoo left her. The wilted flowers seemed to mock her, jeering at her. What was a perfect relationship, like the beautiful roses, now ended up broken and torn. She swiped the vase off the table with all her strength, hearing the shattering of the porcelain, as if hearing her own heart crack. Once again, she buried her head in her hands, in an all too familiar way. "Oppa... why did you leave me? Why?" She sobbed. Like this, she fell into a slumber. For the past month, this was how she endured everyday. She sleeps, wakes up and cries, then sleeps again. How could anyone live like that? Her family and friends have visited her, asking her to leave the house, because Jinwoo won't come back to her. He left for good. But she doesn't want to. She wants to remain in the house where she and Jinwoo had their most precious moments. She wants to lay on the bed she and Jinwoo used to sleep on, breathing in his lingering scent. "Move out." Her mother had said. "Come back and live with us." She had refused. She shook her head, saying she'd be fine, she just wanted to be in this house. But she wasn't fine. Every ray of sunlight tormented her, reminded her of another day without Jinwoo. The moon's gentle light did not offer her any comfort she so desperately needed. But now, Jinwoo is back. He's back after he left her a month ago. He's back with apologies, with pledges of his unchanging love for Sunji. However, Sunji knew she and Jinwoo would never get back together. They couldn't, because things would never be the same again. They would never be the same. Since the day Jinwoo left Sunji, their lives would never be the same again.

"Sunji, I still love you. I really do. I'm sorry I left you. But I'm back now." Jinwoo stood in front of Sunji, pleading with her. Tears flooded Sunji's eyes. "Oppa..." she managed to get the words out. "I loved you. I still love you. But we can't get back together. We can't." She reached out, wanting to his cheeks like how she used to, but she retrained herself. She looked at Jinwoo's beautiful face. The moonlight illuminated his face, giving it a soft glow. He was truly beautiful. He even has the nickname "Jinwoo Cullen", given by Sunji's friends, symbolising his beauty and grace. Even now, as he stood in front of Sunji with tears pouring down his face, his grace and elegance was apparent. "Sunji, let me come back to you." He pleaded. Sunji was tempted to say yes, but she held back. "Oppa, don't do this." She wanted to ask him to leave, but at the same time, she wanted to look at his face. The face of the man she loved, and still loves. "Sunji..." he begs, kneeling down with one knee on the floor. "Oppa, please." You can't bear to look into his eyes. "It's dawn. Go. I want to rest." Sunji bit down on her lips, immediately regretting her harsh words. Soon, Jinwoo was gone.

Every morning, before daybreak, Jinwoo would come. Sunji would ask him to leave. Both would break down in tears. However, before dawn, Jinwoo would leave, while Sunji contonued to sob. It's not that she doesn't want Jinwoo back. Rather, she can't.

"Oppa, I've moved on. You should move on." Sunji told him a blatant lie. "I can't, I love you so much." Jinwoo would plea. As much as it pains Sunji, she would be as cutting as possible. Anything to get Jinwoo to leave.

Slowly, Sunji decided this would not do. On the 7th day of Jinwoo's visit, she put on a strong front. She bravely wiped away her tears. "Oppa, after today, please go. I love you and I will always do, but you can't come back to me." "Why?" Jinwoo asks, as if he doesn't know. "That's because you're dead! Oppa, you're dead. You're not a person in our world anymore! We belong to different worlds." Sunji is unable to control her tears anymore. It's as if the dam broke, letting out a flood, as she burst out at Jinwoo. "You died! You died in a car accident! Do you really not know?" Sunji continued. Jinwoo looked on with hurt. "The dead and the living can never be together, they can never be together..." She trailed off, choking so much she can't enunciate. Jinwoo approached her slowly. "Don't come!" She spits venemously. "I'll go." Jinwoo was crying too. "Don't cry anymore. I love you. Live well for me." He wiped away her tears and planted a deep kiss on her lips. They kissed each other slowly, passionately, just like how they used to, but now with desperation and despair. Soon, Sunji opened her teary eyes and saw that it was daybreak. Jinwoo was gone.

After Jinwoo's funeral, this is the first time Sunji stepped out of house. "A bunch of roses please. Please leave the thorns on the rose." she told the florist. She then headed out of the shop, into her car, driving towards her destination. Half an hour later, she reached. "Oppa..." she laid down the beautiful roses on his grave, instead of the usual white chrysanthemums. She chose roses because there were always roses in their house. "I love you." She poured some soju on the earth around his grave. She remembered how they used to drink soju together. "I'm sorry I can't drink soju with you now. I have to drive home." With that, Sunji left.

Sunji arrived home with determination. She would have Jinwoo in her heart forever, but she'd restart her life, for both him and her. Then she caught sight of something on the table. A fresh, bright red rose, thorns still intact. "Roses are beautiful because they have thorns." Sunji remembered telling Jinwoo. "Because they're strong." Sunji teared up at the sight of the last gift from Jinwoo, but she bravely wiped away her tears. "Thank you, oppa." She then went to fill up another vase with water for the rose.