Chapter Three: Glitches

Steel Heart
Taekwoon looked at the tablet right in front of him. He grabbed it from the table and began scrolling to read further. His face is showing a mix of relief, confusion and worry; he was reading the monthly evaluation for the two cyborgs after all. 
 
Wonshik seems to be doing fine, except that he still need to do some major adjustment because he's still not used with the weight that his metal shoulders is giving him. It hasn't been that long since Jaehwan "created" him; has it been a year already? Maybe few months to go before he reaches a year.
 
While Wonshik is doing well, Sanghee was the complete opposite. her evaluation test is showing that her stamina is getting weaker; she needs some major replacement on some of her parts, especially her eyes. No wonder she's been getting the fuzzy vision the past few weeks.
 
"Hey hyung..." Jaehwan entered his office, a tablet also in his hand. He sat on the chair in front of his table and handed over his tablet to him. "This came into my e-mail this morning... I remembered you we're looking for parts in order to fix Sanghee..." he continued and explained the whole thing.
 
"That's the problem, Jaehwan-ah..." he looked at his younger comrade, as he ran his hand through his hair. "As much as I wan't to fix her, I can't... She won't let me...". Jaehwan looked at him weirdly. "Why? You're his 'master'. She should comply..." he paused, as if he thought of something in a flash.
 
He looked at his problematic looking hyung and let out a sigh. He shook his head before speaking again to him. "Hyung, maybe... just maybe..." he paused, and sat closer to him. "Maybe Sanghee is aware of what's going to happen to her if you 'upgrade' her?"
 
Taekwoon looked up to Jaehwan and blinked. Why didn't he thought of that one? Jaehwan's right. She might know the consequences... Stupid me. he thought. "Think of it this way, hyung..." he was awaken from his trance when Jaehwan started explaining to him.
 
"It's only our wildest guest. We haven't tried it out yet... It might work on Sanghee--"
 
"But if not?" Taekwoon butted in. Jaehwan let out a sigh and patted his friend's back. "We'll never know, Hyung. We'll never know." Jaehwan stood up, and got his tablet. Before he could even get out from the open laboratory door, he turned back to his hyung and gave him a sad smile.
 
"Why don't you try asking her one more time?"
 
+=+
 
"Jihyun noona that is cheating!!! Take that back!!!" a burst of laughter was heard inside the cafe when Sanghyuk tried to get the dices from Jihyun. They we're playing a board game on one of the tables placed at the far end of the shop since not a lot of people are dropping by today. "What? I did not do anything!" the girl feigned innocence, trying her best not to laugh.
 
Sanghyuk pouted and slumped down his seat. "I saw you and Wonshik hyung plotting something earlier." "No we we're not!" Wonshik answered back, laughing as well. Sanghyuk was about to stand up when his older sister held him back down to his seat. "Okay okay. Let them pass, Sanghyuk-ah. We just started..." Sanghee ruffled her brother's hair before getting the dice from Jihyun.
 
"How much do I need to get in order to get a box with a ladder?" she asked, not looking at anyone but the board game. Jihyun counted for her best friend. "You need five, Hee-yah. Let's do this!" she clasped her hand and waited for her to roll the dice.
 
Just when Sanghee was about to let go, she froze all of a sudden. The dice came rolling down from her hands and showed a five. "Yeaaaah! You lucky girl! Go on and make your--- Sanghee?" Wonshik called her but he got no answer. Sanghee sat still, her eyes showing the fuzzy effects again. The next thing he knew, he was pushed to the side, Sanghyuk already right beside her sister, trying to get her attention.
 
"Noona! Noona! What's happening?!" the youngest exclaimed, checking her sister. Jihyun sat on the other side and checked her as well and noticed her eyes. "It's acting up again..." she sighed and stood up to get her phone. "Shik-ah, can you try to put her system on hibernate mode?"
 
"Hibernate what-- can someone tell me what's going on with my sister???" Sanghyuk asked, standing up from where he sat. "Why is her eyes doing the fuzzy thing like a broken television?!"
 
Wonshik stood behind the unmoving girl, unscrewing her nape again. "Sanghyuk, I need you to hold your sister, okay?" he said while removing the titanium lid. "What? Why? What's going to happen?"
 
Wonshik found the green button and pressed it, making her system shut down and falling limp on Sanghyuk's open arms. Jihyun went back to the table and helped Wonshik return the screws on her nape. "I called Jaehwan instead... Taekwoon's not answering his phone. He should be here to pick her up..." she explained, earning a nod from Wonshik.
 
She then turned her attention to Sanghyuk, whose eyes are getting wattery. She sat down beside him and patted his head, playing with his soft hair. "Relax, Hyukkie. Your sister's fine..." she paused and tucked a hair behind her ear. "It's just, she's experiencing some glitches lately..." she heard the later sniff and saw him wipe his tears.
 
As if someone pulled Jihyun's heart strings, she gave the boy a back hug, telling him that every thing's fine and he should not worry that much. "I just feel sorry for my sister.." the young guy explained, rubbing his sister's cheek with his thumb. "I know that she doesn't probably feel pain because half of her is already a machine but..." he paused, finally letting out the tears he'd been holding.
 
"I know deep inside that she's having a really hard time and I hate that...."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"I hate seeing her like this. It pains me, Jihyun noona. It really pains me."
 
=+=

"Thanks, Jaehwan oppa..." Sanghee held her head on both of her hands, trying to adjust to the brightness of the lights one more time. The scientist gave him a smile, then went back to his messy office table. "You should give it a try, Sanghee..." 
 
The girl looks at him with confusion in her eyes, mentally asking him what is he talking about. When it finally hit her that he's probably talking about the upgrade, she stood away from the table and sat on the chair in front of him.
 
"It's not worth it, you know that. Taekwoon sunbae has done a lot for me already...." she paused and played with the pens on the cup holder. "The fact that he was able to make me live again is already too much. I can't burden him anymore..." she shook her head at the thought.
 
Jaehwan understands, and he nodded. He wanted to do so much more for his creation as well. It's a miracle that Wonshik said yes with the metal shoulders upgrade; took him a year of convincing for that one.
 
The older guy wanted to tell her more; he wants her to know that Taekwoon doesn't mind spending billions of dollars for her. He doesn't mind not sleeping for days just to install the upgrades for her...
 
Because she is Han Sanghee, and Han Sanghee is a top priority for Jung Taekwoon.
 
=+=
 
"How have you been these days?" Hakyeon asked Sanghee as they walk side by side around the premises of the laboratory. "I'm sorry it took me a while to visit you guys again. It has been a busy week at work..." he explained, and Sanghee smiles at him. "It's okay, sunbae. You don't need to show up here everyday... Are you going to meet Taekwoon sunbae?" 
 
Hakyeon shooks his head, rubbing his nape after. He looks around before looking at her from the side. "I actually came here to check up on you..." 
 
"Oh..." was all the young lady could say. She hopes that he doesn't notice that her face is starting to get tomato red as well. "I'm doing good. How about you though? You should rest once in a while..." he gives him a smile before he shook his head. "I had enough rest before going here, okay? So stop worrying... you should worry about yourself..." 
 
"Jaehwan told me you've been having glitches lately..." he paused and they both stopped walking in front of the door leading to the outdoor patio. She went outside, Hakyeon following right after her. "Is it bad? Are you still fine?" 
 
They sat on one of the benches in the patio, Sanghee looking straight ahead, appreciating the night lights coming from the tall buildings and running vehicles. "It's not that bad, sunbae... If normal human beings get sick, Wonshik and I..." she turned and gave him a sad smile. 
 
"We have these glitches...  but don't worry! We're good as new when we get fixed..." Lies, Han Sanghee. You know better than that. she thought to herself. 
 
Hakyeon got something from his bag and placed it on Sanghee's lap; it was a small rectangular box. Confused as to what's happening, Sanghee gave him a weird look "What is this?". He motioned for her to open it and waited for her reaction. 
 
Sanghee untied the red ribbon and opened up the box, revealing a variety of chocolate pralines neatly made and aligned in golden foils. She looked up to him, surprised. "What are these for? It's not my birthday..." 
 
He couldn't help but smile at her reaction. He messed up her hair before getting a piece and started removing the foil packaging. "Taekwoon told me you liked sweet things. He told me that chocolates makes you happy whenever you're feeling down...." he popped the unwrapped chocolate into , startling the girl. Nonetheless, she started savoring the sweet yet bitter taste of the chocolate melting on her tongue. 
 
=+=
 
The moment his car parked right in front of the building, Taekwoon rushed to get out and ran through the entrance of the facility. After his meeting somewhere in Seoul, he started reading the message that was sent to him when the meeting was still on going. 
 
Of course, he panicked when he read that message from Jaehwan, but instantly relief rushed through him when he sent him a message again, telling that he was able to fix Sanghee's glitches and hopefully it won't occur again any time soon. 
 
On the drive going back to the laboratory, he scrolled through Jaehwan's messages again and again; while thinking of the conversation they had a few days back about upgrading Sanghee's system. The glitch attack that happened earlier at the laboratory made him decide that he should ask her one more time about upgrading. 
 
He made sure that he buys something for her before he heads back home. While walking through the hallway, he held the box of cookies and cream chocolates that he bought for her; he knows that she'll love it since it's her favorite. He halted and asked one of the workers to Sanghee's whereabouts. 
 
"The last time I saw her, she was on her way to the outdoor patio, Sir..." the worker paused. "She was with a guy..." 
 
"A guy?" Taekwoon asked, looking confused. "Was it Jaehwan?" he asked again. 
 
The worker shook his head, unsure of who the guy was and explained that he was rushing to one of the facilities as well when he saw them . Taekwoon thanked him and walked to the direction leading to the patio. Maybe she's with Jaehwan, since he helped her with her glitch attack earlier this morning... 
 
With a smile on his face, he held the box tight and slowly opened the door of the patio without making any screeching noise. He was about to approach her when he froze on his spot upon seeing her eating chocolates with Hakyeon. She was all smiles as he was telling him something which made her laugh. Hakyeon tucked a strand of hair behind her ears and he swore he just saw her blush slightly. 
 
Taekwoon looked at the sky and then back at the box of chocolates he was holding. He then looked at the two people smiling and laughing under the moonlight. He sighed and shook his head. For the umpteenth time, he was late again. He wanted to interrupt and join them, but as Taekwoon saw the smile on her face, he decided to retreat. 
 
Putting the box of chocolate inside his backpack, he slowly and quietly made his way out of the patio, stealing a glimpse of Sanghee and Hakyeon one more time before he closed the door. He combed his hair with his hand and started walking to the direction leading to his office. 
 
The box of cookies and cream may have to wait for a while. 
 
End of Chapter Three
=+=
OMG!! I am so sorry for updating so so late ;;;; I was busy with work and everytime I go home I'm already sleepy and tired ;;; and I think I messed up this chapter T_T Again I am so sorry ;;;; I'll make it up to you guys on Chapter Four!!! Final addition to the cast would be next chapter so stay tuned! (P.S. new character will play a very important role xD) 
 
oh oh! and #HAPPYLEODAY! <3 
 
Thank you so much for reading! :"3