I might love you too

Forget Me (And then let's start over again)

Myungsoo can't think straight. He's been skipping meals, lessons. He found out that Sungyeol had transferred schools a month ago. 

Right when they'd all forgotten about caring for him.

How could he have been so ignorant?!

He ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

No one knew where he'd gone.

He'd checked the laptop over and over again but couldn't find a single trace of Sungyeol's message for him.

And most importantly, he couldn't find a single trace about Sungyeol's whereabouts.

It was like he'd vanished into thin air.

Myungsoo felt so frustrated he wanted to cry.

He walked into Sungyeo— their room. He'd looked through the most obvious places and still found nothing.

Myungsoo slid the wardrobe door open, fingers tracing over the only shirt that Sungyeol had left behind.

He couldn't bear to touch it any more than with just a fleeting trace of his fingers.

It was folded by Sungyeol.

It was all he had of him left.

The shirt was a couple tee they'd gotten as fangifts during a concert.

Myungsoo's bottom lip quivered as he carefully picked up the shirt.

But then, a strong wind rattled against the window and Myungsoo jumped, dropped the shirt.

His eyes widened as he scrambled to pick it up but a piece of paper fell out.

He folded the shirt carefully while staring at the card on the floor.

He bent down and picked it up, eyebrows furrowing.

'3/10'

'I'd tell you to take care of everyone, but you have enough on your hands, right? Do you love anyone like i love you?'

Myungsoo stared at the messy scrawl. Certain it was Sungyeol's handwriting. His heart almost dropped.

"Hyungs! Search every last bit of what Sungyeol used to use or have! Now!"

∞ ∞ ∞


Myungsoo turned the room upside down until he was drenched in pespiration.

He collapsed onto Sungyeol's bed, inhaling his familiar scent as the tears pricked at his eyes.

"Sungyeol... Where are you right now?"

∞ ∞ ∞


'1/10'
'Myungsoo, i don't know how to begin. I think they've been there for a while now.'

'2/10'
'But i never noticed, until now. You'll look at me differently but it's okay. You won't see me after this.'

'3/10'
'I'd tell you to take care of everyone, but you have enough on your hands, right? Do you love anyone like i love you?'

'4/10'
'Haha... Looks like i said it, huh? But i really do mean it...'

'5/10'
'But if i really do love you, i guess i knew that i'd have to let you go sooner or later.'

'6/10'
'You don't know how many times i've wanted to tell you this. I almost did, but you drifted away and i couldn't do anything to stop you.'

'7/10'
'Who was i, to stop you?'

'8/10'
'Me leaving... It's for the best. Forget me for me, will you? I don't want you to be burdened by me.'

'9/10'
'I was a dead weight, on you guys. I get it now. But...'


That was it. The dorm was a mess, but still no note number 10.

The last one.

That night, he held the notes in his hands and cried himself to sleep.

∞ ∞ ∞


"Saem. Do you really not know where Sungyeol is right now?" 

The teacher looked back at Myungsoo weirdly.

"Who is Sungyeol?"

∞ ∞ ∞


"It... It's like no one knows he existed."
Myungsoo whispered to Woohyun as Woohyun gripped the shaking boy's hand tightly.

"It's okay. As long as we know he did." Woohyun muttered back, the guilt creeping up his heart once more.
∞ ∞ ∞


Myungsoo was like this everyday.

Barely eating.

Barely sleeping.

He never took anymore photos. He only looked through all the photos... Just to remember. 

Sunggyu and Woohyun didn't stop trying to find Sungyeol but their efforts proved fruitless after a week.

"I'm sorry, Myungsoo. We really don't know wher—" 

"Don't say it like that." Myungsoo had whispered back, leaving Woohyun shocked.

"Like what?"

"Like you've already given up on him."

"Wha—"

"I made a mistake, a long time ago. And i'm not going to stop until i amend it."

∞ ∞ ∞


Myungsoo hadn't bothered to grab a coat or anything.  He ran out of the dorm, pushing past his hyungs and fleeing.

He ran in a random direction, not even bothering to check for incoming cars. His legs were burning and they'd collapsed a few times but Myungsoo dragged himself up and kept running.

His lungs were aching and he collapsed again, leaning against the tree trunk when he felt the buzzing in his back pocket. 

He reached for his phone weakly.

*From: Sunggyu*
*Sungjong found another one. It says, 46130201*

The numbers didn't make any sense. 

Then, Myungsoo looked around trying to figure out where he was.

The street sign in the distance said, 46 Gangnam Street.

46...

It was a long shot but it was worth a try. 

46 Gangnam Street, Block 13, unit number #02-01.

He knocked on the front door of the apartment building, and an ahjumma
opened the door slightly.

"Who are you?"

"Anneonghasaeyo. Kim Myungsoo imnida. I... I'm looking for someone."

The lady pushed the door open fully
and beamed widely. "Sure, sure. Come in."

Myungsoo stepped in and felt a cold breeze hit him. 

"Excuse me... Did a person named Lee Sungyeol stay here? In unit #02-01?" He whispered Sungyeol's name as he breathed out the question.

"Lee... Sungyeol? Hmm... There was a quiet lad who lived in #02-01 for the past months."

"Can i go see him?" Myungsoo asked, a little too quickly.

The ahjumma frowned. "He just left early this morning."

Myungsoo thought his heart would stop.

∞ ∞ ∞


The ahjumma eventually let Myungsoo see the room. Myungsoo took a sharp intake of breath. It all still smelled of Sungyeol.

Every part of the room screamed 'Lee Sungyeol'. The loud choice of colour on the walls and the curtains...

He searched everywhere. Trying to find a note, a sign... Anything.

Just when he was about to give up searching the room, the ahjumma stepped in, holding a tray of biscuits and tea. She set it down on the work table and clicked on the lamp.

She clucked her teeth and began talking about how youngsters should take care of their eyes but Myungsoo wasn't listening.

There was a rectangular shadow reflected on the wall.

He took huge strides and reached to pluck the paper off the lamp and unfolded it, hands trembling.

'Kim Myungsoo. What did i say about forgetting me? Well.. You found this. Are you looking for the 10th note? (Unless you're not Myungsoo... The put it back where you found it please. ^^) You'll find it when the time is right. For now... Please. Please just forget me. It's for everyone. I love you.'

The ahjumma was now staring at Myungsoo as the tears slid down his cheeks.

"Why?" He whispered and bowed to the ahjumma before stumbling out of the apartment building.

"Why do you keep telling me to forget you? I can't, Sungyeol. I just can't."

∞ ∞ ∞


2 Years Later:

Myungsoo was sitting in the booth at the cafe. Sipping the last drop of his iced americano.

Myungsoo was now an intern at a magazine and was now scrolling through the photos for his next article.

Myungsoo picked up his cup to take another gulp when he realised it was empty. Closing the lid to his laptop, he stood up and dusted his pants as he made his way to the counter.

"Can i have another iced americano?" He said bluntly, emotionless.

"Excuse me? I think you should join the queue." A soft but annoyed voice chirped from behind him.

That voice...

It sounded so much like him.

Sungyeol's soft chirpy voice...

Myungsoo shook his head slightly, thinking he was hallucinating.

"Excuse me?" The same voice said again, sounding even more annoyed as a hand reached out to tap Myungsoo's shoulder.

Myungsoo felt like his entire body had an electric shock. 

Myungsoo whirled around to see an annoyed Sungyeol look-alike with his arms crossed.

"So you finally heard me?" He huffed, puffing out his cheeks and Myungsoo froze.

It couldn't be...

"An iced americano please." Sungyeol ordered, staring back at the frightened barista.

Myungsoo had totally forgotten about his drink and was openly staring at the Sungyeol look-alike.

"Wh—What's your name?" He choked out and the Sungyeol look-alike looked back at him before giving him a once over. 

"Do i have to tell you?" He replied snarkily and the still terrified barista asked for his name to write on the cup.

"Sungyeol. Lee Sungyeol."

∞ ∞ ∞ 

Myungsoo was staring at his laptop screen. He had been doing that for at least 15 minutes after he'd reached his apartment, took a bath and sat himsel down on his bed with his laptop on his lap.

He was so lost in his thoughts. Those being somewhere along the lines of, "I just saw Lee Sungyeol today. He dosen't remember me but that's okay. We could start all over again. Lee Sungyeol."

Myungsoo was interrupted by loud knocking on his door and he jumped a little, placing his laptop away as he walked to the door and opened it.

"Yah. Didn't you check your phone? I've been calling." Sunggyu chided as Myungsoo's eyes widened and he reached into his back pocket to whip his phone out.

Myungsoo blushed in embarassment. "Sorry hyung. What brings you here today?"

Sunggyu lived in their old dorm and Myungsoo moved out because he couldn't stand the nostalgia of being there.

"Oh, today there was a letter addressed to you. I thought it would be important since a postman came to the doorstep to deliver it. Here." Sunggyu passed the envelope to Myungsoo who looked confused.

He tore the side open and pulled out a white card with familiar messy scrawls of writing.

'10/10'
'But i guess if i can forget you, you can forget me too.'

∞ ∞ ∞ 

Myungsoo goes back to the cafe everyday at the same time, orders his iced americano and just sits there with his laptop for hours. 

Hoping to see Sungyeol again.

It was a longshot but if it worked out, it would be worth it. 

It would've all been worth it.

The next time Myungsoo sees Sungyeol, it's at the same place, the same time. Just... Under completely different circumstances.

∞ ∞ ∞ 

"Are there any other tables? What? Share? Well fine." Sungyeol mutters. He hadn't been in the cafe for weeks and when he comes back that day, he orders himself a plate of spaghetti and there are no seats available.

"The guy over there sleeping wouldn't mind some company. In fact, he's been here everyday at the same time for hours." The barista says and hands Sungyeol his drink and tells Sungyeol that his food would be served to him at the booth.

Sungyeol feels kind of sorry for the person asleep in the booth and sits down across the sleeping person.

He lightly pushes the hoodie out of the person's face and stares just for a while.

'Angelic' was the first word that came to Sungyeol's mind. But as he looks closer, he finds the person extremely familiar...

The barista puts the plate down and exclaims chirpily, "Enjoy your meal! Yah... Myungsoo-ssi! Wake up!" The barista shakes Myungsoo's shoulder and his eyes open just slightly and whines.

Sungyeol leans his back against the seat and mutters a 'thanks' to the barista and folds his arms.

It was the creepy guy from the last time he came.

Though he'd never admit it, the guy, Myungsoo, looked kind of cute. Droopy eyes, pouty lips and nice jawline.

Not to mention how he'd recognised Sungyeol and his eyes widen, sleeve coming up to wipe any trace of drool off his face.

"S–Sungyeol!" He scrambles to check if he looks presentable and puts the hoodie down.

"Myungsoo-ssi." He greets back and goes back to digging into his food and Myungsoo's jaw drops.

"Y-You remember my name?"

"No, i dont. The barista just called you so that you'd wake up. I don't know why he did." Sungyeol says curtly as he takes a long gulp of his americano.

"You... Really don't remember me?" Myungsoo tries, hoping Sungyeol would give in. As if he'd been pretending to have forgotten him all this time.

 

"Jesus. No i don't. If you don't shut up i will leave this table and freaking eat in the kitchen." Sungyeol glares and Myungsoo keeps quiet for a while as Sungyeol eats and begins to feel bad.

When he's done, he pushes the plate away slightly. "Okay. I shouldn't have snapped at you earlier. I'm sorry." He grumbles, like a child who was forced to apologise for something he thought was alright.

Myungsoo thinks its adorable.

"That's okay. I was talking too much anyway."

And like that, Sungyeol can't think of anything to say so he stands up to leave.

"Wait!" Myungsoo calls, hand bolting up to grab Sungyeol's wrist.

Sungyeol stares at Myungsoo's fingers around his wrist until Myungsoo realises and lets go.

"Sorry... Will... Will you be here tomorrow?" Myungsoo tries, voice gleaming with hope.

"I don't know. Maybe." Sungyeol replies and walks out to leave while Myungsoo sinks back into the booth.

"At least we can start back at square one." Myungsoo whispers to no one in particular and picks up his laptop to make his way home too, hoping that Sungyeol would be there tomorrow, the day after that, and for the subsequent weeks.

At least until Myungsoo has Sungyeol back in his arms again.

 

∞ ∞ ∞

 

"Sungyeol! You can sit here with me!" Myungsoo calls from across the cafe, sitting in the same booth as always.

Sungyeol's head snaps up and zeroes in on the beaming Myungsoo as he shakes his head slightly, wondering what he had done to get a clingy admirer.

He heads over to sit down and they talk. 

They just talk.

Sungyeol slowly opens up to Myungsoo and they exchange meaningless banter like friends would.

Sungyeol talks about his life as if Myungsoo and their other friends had never been a part of it. He'd tell Myungsoo about a time where he'd got caught slipping salt into a teacher's coffee with his friend. Not realising that he had done that with Woohyun.

He'd tell Myungsoo about his tendency to wake up in the middle of the night due to random quiet noises, not realising that he would wake Myungsoo up whenever he does.

Myungsoo aches to reach over and ruffle Sungyeol's hair sometimes. When Sungyeol throws his head back and laughs that beautiful gummy laugh. He aches to climb into the seat next to Sungyeol and wrap his arms around Sungyeol and call him his choding. He aches to give him small pecks on the cheek that mean the entire world.

But he dosen't.

He won't.

Not until he's sure that Sungyeol won't leave.

It isn't until weeks later of chatting and meeting up at the cafe at the same timing everyday that Sungyeol finally speaks about something Myungsoo had been aching to hear forever.

 

∞ ∞ ∞ 

 

"It happened slighty more than a year ago. I was going somewhere alone when a drunk driver careened off the road and onto the walkway. It hit me and i fell into a coma for a little while and i woke up. No major injuries or anything. And here i am."

"You didn't get any... Memory loss?" Myungsoo asks quietly making Sungyeol feel weird because Myungsoo was usually really loud.

"Not that i know of... I didn't have any contactable family at that time so one of my doctors took care of the medical fees and now, i live with him. So, even if i did have memory loss, i wouldn't have anyone to tell me what i could have forgotten." Sungyeol rests his chin on his palm.

"Oh..." Myungsoo's at a loss for words. That was why Sungyeol dosen't remember. It must be!

"Although... I do experience deja vus. When i first met you, you were an annoying prick but i felt like i knew that already..."

"Yah. Is that supposed to be nice?" Myungsoo yells and hits Sungyeol's shoulder playfully as the latter squeals.

"Whatever, Kim Myungsoo!"

 

∞ ∞ ∞ 

 

"You know... It's nice. I've never had time to make friends. I was always working my off because i felt indebted to the doctor who saved me." Sungyeol says, looking off at the horizon.

Myungsoo had taken Sungyeol out to the beach that day. It was the first time they'd spent their time outside rather than in the booth.

"Well... Then i'm glad."

Sungyeol stops and turns to face the glimmering ocean and the sunset.

"Glad because of what?"

"Of many things. Letting you have a nice time outside... Being your friend..." Myungsoo says, admiring Sungyeol's beautiful side view.

Sungyeol has always been beautiful. He just... Never acknowledged it.

"Stop that."

"Stop what?"

"Staring at me." He mumbles and Myungsoo is amused.

"Why can't i?" He argues back and Sungyeol pouts.

"It's weird."

"Well, i'm not going to stop anytime soon so get used to it." Myungsoo teases, making Sungyeol's eyebrows furrow.

"Crazy brat..." Sungyeol mumbles and Myungsoo yells at him, shoving Sungyeol's arm lightly.

"What did you call me?!" Myungsoo yells again, as he makes a move to push Sungyeol again and Sungyeol squeals, turning to run as Myungsoo chases after the choding along the shoreline.

Their slippers are lost somewhere in the sand as Myungsoo throws them towards Sungyeol and Sungyeol abandons his own to run faster.

By the time Myungsoo catches up with Sungyeol, they're both dead beat. Myungsoo's chest heaving as he collapses onto the bench next to Sungyeol.

"That was... The most exercise... I have done in ages." Sungyeol heaves between intakes of breath and laughter.

Myungsoo is staring again because Sungyeol lools beautiful like this. Smiling blissfully, without worry on his face and completely at ease.

Beautiful.

"Argh. You're doing it again. Staring at me." Sungyeol whines and feels his cheeks flaming red.

"You're beautiful." Myungsoo just blatantly states and Sungyeol blushes a deeper shade of red.

"Why are you saying that all of a sudden?" Sungyeol begins awkwardly.

"It's not sudden. You've always been beautiful. I just never said anything." 

"Y-Yah. Do you know how awkward this is for me—" Sungyeol is cut off by the feeling of Myungsoo's soft lips pressing against his cheek for just a milisecond before they disappear.

Sungyeol spends a good 5 seconds gaping at Myungsoo who looks embarassed.

"I-I... Er." 

Sungyeol reaches up to cup Myungsoo's cheeks with his hands and leans in slowly to place his lips against Myungsoo's.

It just felt so... Right.

No words were exchanged. Just fleeting kisses against each other's soft lips and it feels perfect.

Sungyeol was terrified that Myungsoo would push him away or something for doing something so impulsive but instead, Myungsoo kisses back slowly too.

Myungsoo's head is spinning and he is barely able to kiss back because he's smiling.

And then, they're both smiling so widely and stupidly that they can't kiss any longer and just rest their foreheads against each other. Breathing in the same air. Enjoying each other's presence.

"I think... I think i might love you." Myungsoo whispers and its music to Sungyeol's ears because...

"I think i might love you too."